Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #61
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Hey it wasn't me that gave them the tag.
Actually it was, because 99.9% of motoring enthusiasts know the MX5 is a great car.

Can we stick OT now?

Any news from Subaru?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #62
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if i`m not mistaken........ please correct me if i`m wrong, in the US they are selling the identical car under the subaru badge BRZ?
check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hgleEOXA
Not identical.

This is a joint venture between Fuji (subaru) and Toyota.

It's a Subaru engine, interestingly.

All the dynamics, suspension etc is going to be different between the car makers.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #63
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Not all sold out, I have a red gts auto coming in this week

Very surprised and happy about the pricing. Didn't think they'd make it below 35 tbh.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

PS they're also sold as a Scion FR-S in the states instead of Toyota 86.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
First shippment of 400 has sold out - not bad for something noone appearantly wants :-)
like most fads, they will be popular for a bit and then fade away.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #66
Spudz27
Call me Spud

It is a very nice looking car. What is the difference between models?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a shiny black new V8 getting around here rego "STYLIST", guess what the owner does for a living........
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #68
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This car has been for sale for the last 6 months now in Japan and USA, I’m not aware of any turbo kits still on offer (excluding any massive engine conversions a few have done which probably cost more than double the cars cost), do you have any links?

Personally I don’t think that just bolting on a turbo or a supercharger will be an easy exercise … The engine is a high tuned N/A running a too high compression ratio for any force fed applications, the engines internals have been designed to be light and rev happy rather than supper strong and boost happy, finally the ECU is complicated and closed from what I gathered … yes a few racing teams / people did modify this car already, but the cost of these mods would have easily exceeded the price of new M3s / 911s and that is a total waste of money …

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
There will be turbo kits and all kinds of aftermarket mods available for this car almost immediately.

Aftermarket tuners & developers were given access by Toyota and allowed input throughout the whole devlelopment phase. The idea being this car is a blank canvas designed to be modded, allowing Toyota to sell it ridiculously cheap.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #69
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm extremely excited about the pricing. Definitely something to consider to replace the 5 once more stock comes in and I can get a test drive.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #70
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

So will a Miami fit?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #71
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been following this on so many different forums and this one of the only ones that don't seem to have any clue what they are talking about.
Girls car, hair dresses, needs more power, needs a turbo.
Are most of you that delusional?
High reving, perfectly balanced, light weight, tuned chassis with RWD and LSD can provide more thrills than a 400rwkw dyno queen.
Roads aren't all just straight lines, some times they have these things called "corners" which is where this car is designed to perform.
Some people need to wake up a little.

Last edited by lockieoc; 04-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
This is a joint venture between Fuji (subaru) and Toyota.

It's a Subaru engine, interestingly.
Actually, its a subaru/toyota engine. The fuel system is toyota (even in the BRZ)....

...but anywho...

Great price for a RWD Sports car! I wonder if nissian will follow up with its own cut price sports car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
I've been following this on so many different forums and this one of the only ones that don't seem to have any clue what they are talking about.
High reving, perfectly balanced, light weight, tuned chassis with RWD and LSD can provide more thrills than a 400rwkw dyno queen.
Roads aren't all just straight lines, some times they have these things called "corners" which is where this car is designed to perform.
Some people need to wake up a little

Couldn't agree more.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #73
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I think you'll find that in many overseas markets the 370Z isnt that much more expensive then the BRZ/86.....

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #74
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or many other awesome cars for that matter
Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Our 370Z at base is fully loaded though, in most markets you have to add about 10 options to get to Aussie spec base car, which only option it has to tick is I think floormats, lol, it has everything else standard.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #76
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Our 370Z at base is fully loaded though, in most markets you have to add about 10 options to get to Aussie spec base car, which only option it has to tick is I think floormats, lol, it has everything else standard.
Mcnews,

Evo magazine did a comparo of the BRZ to the 370Z, Megane 265 Trophy, MX5 and original Subaru Impreza Turbo. The result? To quote the front of the Magazine "2000 Miles in the new BRZ - And why it's not good enough"

From my reading, basically because its got not torque, to get to the 'fun' you have to rev the absolute crap out of it, and its gutless below 5000 rpm. It makes a 'massive' 204Nm of torque at 6400rpm.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #77
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I did read something like that somewhere, same can be said for RX8, but that is one of the best driving experience in the hills any money can buy. But yes can make it painful on a commute. Tis the price you pay...
Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #78
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Holy crapola, that is cheap. I was expecting around $50K

Hyundai Veloster price range in this ********.
I was expecting at least a 35ish starting point for this car.

Having said that, I think the buyers of the 86 can thank the Veloster for bringing the price down the 30k.

Still, what does the Veloster start at, isn't it 25k? When the turbo gets here, what will be the base model price? $36-38 grand?? Around the top spec 86 price, but with the added performance and extra door.

Buyers are spoilt for choice at the moment

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by flappist; 04-06-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fixing edited quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #79
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
From my reading, basically because its got not torque, to get to the 'fun' you have to rev the absolute crap out of it, and its gutless below 5000 rpm. It makes a 'massive' 204Nm of torque at 6400rpm.
which is no different to all the truly fun vtec hondas, 20v 4age levins etc from the 90s...

yes, you actually have to DRIVE the suckers, not just stick it in performance and let oodles of horsepower do it all for you. for some, thats a more enjoyable drive.

thats why these sorts of cars generally have awesome quick shifting manuals, you have to row them along to get the most from them.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #80
EFinSilver

Hm this could be my next car, I would prefer the BRZ though, just my brand bias..also I hear they run different suspension now, Toyota's front is a bit softer than the Subaru.

Amazing price, I assumed 5-10 grand more. Also heard from different websites that the Subaru could be cheaper. Heres hoping.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #81
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I thought they'd be at least 35k, the pricing is pretty sharp.

All it needs is some torque. 205nm is pathetic really, especially when its peak is above 5000rpm.

Toyota need to fit the rumoured supercharger quickly, make it a real sports car with the power and torque it is crying out for.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #82
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I was expecting at least a 35ish starting point for this car.

Having said that, I think the buyers of the 86 can thank the Veloster for bringing the price down the 30k.

Still, what does the Veloster start at, isn't it 25k? When the turbo gets here, what will be the base model price? $36-38 grand?? Around the top spec 86 price, but with the added performance and extra door.

Buyers are spoilt for choice at the moment
Looking at a few different sites more affiliated with these type of cars, I honestly doubt you'll get one of these for much under 40k inc ORC?
This $29,990 is the attention grabber.
Talking the top model, what is it?.. GTS?
Re: The mag comparison with the 370Z.. Get real... The MX5 or Velostar thingo maybe.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #83
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Spot on.

This car fills an enormous void in the market - the success of Capri's in the 1970's and 1980's, and Supra's, Skylines, Silvia's (and even RWD Celica's) in the 1980's and 1990's should prove that there is a demand for lightweight RWD cars on the market.

They have nothing to do with hairdressers, and everything to do with people who love cornering and lightweight vehicles that provide a good platform for modification & tuning.

This is an unbelievably good looking vehicle for the price, and great value for money. There are no competitors at this price range in the RWD sports car market. Well done Toyota
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #84
nstg8a

is the 29k one the true povo spec one? i saw pics somewhere of the povo model somewhere, unpainted bumpers, steel rims, real blank canvas material.

found it...

Last edited by nstg8a; 04-06-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #85
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
is the 29k one the true povo spec one? i saw pics somewhere of the povo model somewhere, unpainted bumpers, steel rims, real blank canvas material.
That's the one you can get in Japan specifically for Tuners. No stereo, throwaway bumpers, only colour white etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #86
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
No, it just the "base" model.

I don't think Australia are getting the pov/tuner spec version.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #87
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i agree , hair dressers car is probably not a fair comment ,but not everyone aspires to highly strung sports/track cars, some of us like the bigger grand tourers that will happily pull from 1800 revs in an instant and still go through a sweeper at a speed that is still way above most peoples driving capability`s, no doubt it`s a fun car in the mountain twistys, but as an all rounder/daily factory hot rod, it`s not my cup of tea,
part of the allure of big power factory hotrods is they can be a handfull if not treated with respect and in fact do still provide thrills in the bends and don`t need to have the mammary `s reved of them to make forward progress, but to each his own.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #88
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Now to drop a Lexus V8 in it ... like has already been done in Japan.
actually i was thinking L98, may shoe horn in..
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #89
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, I'd have to get the GTS with the automatic gearbox. I want the options like leather, sat nav, Xenons etc. So, I have to pay $38k + metallic paint + onroads, meaning a total price close to $45k. ***** please.

If only it had a decent engine...
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #90
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No, it just the "base" model.

I don't think Australia are getting the pov/tuner spec version.
Most of the ones I saw at the docks were GT base specs and they definitely weren't these Base specs things

No price for A/C??? you can bet it's another $2400 as well
Isn't the Auto the dual clutch type with flapper paddles(I did see some fitted with them), surely they would be just as much fun as they will change gears when you want and faster than most of you lot
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Closed Thread