Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #61
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I wonder how many of these people have tried fitting a pram and the weekly shopping into a Mazda 3...
Now i know mines a Focus but same thing almost, now i have no plans to have kids so no worries there.
Shopping, really no issue to be honest. I did an interstate trip in my old AU and have done same said trip (3100km round trip) in my XR5T twice now and there was no difference.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #62
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I know it's hard but dont let the BF sway you too much. The FG is greatly improved in build quality over the B-series.
Well, that's gotta be a big problem for sales right there!
BA/BF were good sellers for Ford and if alot of those buyers had poor experiences, they won't be rushing into an FG, no matter if new model has improved. Buyers are smart and competition is strong.
I've always considered myself true blue-blood through and through, but even I will find it hard buying new Ford again. So you can imagine how easy it is for people with absolutely no brand loyalty to dismiss the Falcon.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #63
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Now i know mines a Focus but same thing almost, now i have no plans to have kids so no worries there.
Shopping, really no issue to be honest. I did an interstate trip in my old AU and have done same said trip (3100km round trip) in my XR5T twice now and there was no difference.
You're probably shopping just for yourself (are you..?), add a few more full shopping bags into the mix, a folded pram and all the associated crap you have to take with you once you have a spawn, and blammo there is no more room for anything else. It's a pain in the rs.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I wonder how many of these people have tried fitting a pram and the weekly shopping into a Mazda 3...
we have a LS focus as the wifes car. fits the pram and shopping in no worries. reasonable sized pram too. most cars now have the baby seat anchor on the back of the seat so you don't have straps going everywhere, and the luggage space is pretty big. we actually bought the focus before i bought my fg, and we did a bit of a dummy fit out of a normal amount of luggage we would normally take on holiday, and you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in them. just because large cars aren't selling doesn't mean you have to get angry at small cars. if you compare the focus to a KE laser, they have grown a lot. they are a similar size to the large cars of yesteryear (eb falcon etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Look closely and you'll see how Falcon sales tanked right after E-Gas and wagon production stopped in Sept 2010.
as much as i love your input regarding falcon, to me the graph shows all 3 models tanking, not just falcon. falcon has taken a hit with lpg though, which is probably why the gap is a little wider now between commodore and falcon.

i think for all doom and gloom speak, 2012 has the potential to be a break out year for ford. commodore, although it has released a series 2, looks pretty much the same as it did in 2006. fords facelift on the other hand has a fairly obvious change to the front end look. people like to upgrade to cars that look like new models. i think the lack of change in commodore has cost them sales.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #65
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
You're probably shopping just for yourself (are you..?), add a few more full shopping bags into the mix, a folded pram and all the associated crap you have to take with you once you have a spawn, and blammo there is no more room for anything else. It's a pain in the rs.
Yep very true, only me an missus so its no issue (no plans for kids). Trust me i can fit alot into the rear of my Focus.
It suits my needs, i have no need for a bigger car (Id buy an FG ute purely for looks not carrying capacity) as i was originally going to buy.
Same goes for my missus WQ Fiesta we used it as the main tool for moving house (apart from the big stuff) as my car wouldnt have cleared the driveway fully loaded and that this can carry some gear the boot is very deep ie lower so looks are deceiving.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #66
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I still think a Falcon is one of the most reliable cars you can buy off the showroom floor... I dont think reliability is ever been a Falcon problem at all.
totally agree Brazen.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #67
Majestic

my wife doesn't want a large car such as a falcon or commodore simply because carparks have become smaller LOL We all may laugh at this (and say learn to bloody park) but if you think about it, women have a lot of influence when deciding on the purchase of a family car and parking is in the top 5 list of the average woman's check list. They'll choose the medium size car everytime if the groceries fit easy lol
Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #68
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and..._and_territory

My take: more negative journalistic speculation.
If thats your take, then you'll have to lump the CEO of Ford operations worldwide as full of negative speculation too, given the bulk of the article was direct quotes from him.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #69
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
YES !!

i dunno why everyone wont accept that fact!!?

People who look at buying new cars these days go straight to japanese & euro makes, even if they just think the cars are built there
That is not a stero type, that is brand image & loyalty.. Stero types are like "bogons" buy Falcons & "Posh" people buy BMWs!!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
my wife doesn't want a large car such as a falcon or commodore simply because carparks have become smaller LOL We all may laugh at this (and say learn to bloody park) but if you think about it, women have a lot of influence when deciding on the purchase of a family car and parking is in the top 5 list of the average woman's check list. They'll choose the medium size car everytime if the groceries fit easy lol
I agree, but I think it is more parallel parking then car parks.. This is why I'd love to see Falcon with Auto Park like the Focus has.. Even if it is only on the top model, it still brings people in the door looking at the car if you ask me.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #71
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Holden put its money where its mouth is, and came out with a sportswagon. Sedan dynamics, hatch/wagon practicality. What did Ford do? Get out of that game altogether.
It is called a Ford territory!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #72
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Terry doesnt have sedan dynamics im sorry.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
If thats your take, then you'll have to lump the CEO of Ford operations worldwide as full of negative speculation too, given the bulk of the article was direct quotes from him.

yes but like most journalists, the quotes were all out of context. most journo's have some sort of agenda, and ford bashing is popular.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #74
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
yes but like most journalists, the quotes were all out of context. most journo's have some sort of agenda, and ford bashing is popular.
Correct. And the more words (or rather, less) the journos get out of Ford senior management, the more the journos try to make something out of little. It's a wonder the Ford execs talk to local journalists at all, given the tendency to state "fact" based on what was (or even wasn't) spoken, probably off the cuff.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well when holden brought out the VT i thought they were mad, why make a car 200kg heaver and there was no advantage to the interior size and the boot was rubbish as the VS boot is great.
Then the VE is like 200KG more than the VT i could not believe it and the visibility is a joke.

The FG Falcon is a whale as it just about feels like you are driving a tank and it weighs more than a 1973 P5 LTD.

I like the VS size commodore and the EB size Falcon best.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #76
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Well when holden brought out the VT i thought they were mad, why make a car 200kg heaver and there was no advantage to the interior size and the boot was rubbish as the VS boot is great.
Then the VE is like 200KG more than the VT i could not believe it and the visibility is a joke.

The FG Falcon is a whale as it just about feels like you are driving a tank and it weighs more than a 1973 P5 LTD.

Funny you should say that, as I think Peter Hanenberger or another Holden CEO said on reflection after the VE was on sale that the VT-VZ was actually the perfect size and maybe the VE had gone too big.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

5 star safety comes at a price
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan

The FG is the same width as the EB and only fractionally longer. How have you got the idea that its much bigger, cause its not. Falcon has roughly been the same dimensions since the XR, wheelbase has only changed a few cm.

The E series just looked like a smaller car, the way it was styled made it look that way, low bonnet line etc.

Different story with Commodore, VT was the first one that matched Falcon for size, and the VE went even further again.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #79
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
I don't know why you said that - I thought he was talking about cars that made losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
5 star safety comes at a price
How are one-foot-wide A-pillars safe?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #80
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The FG is the same width as the EB and only fractionally longer. How have you got the idea that its much bigger, cause its not.
i'm guessing you are basing those comments off the measurements on a spec sheet. i suggest going and parking a FG next to a EB and comparing the size. it isn't an illusion. the FG is bigger.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #81
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Interesting thread...

I'll be looking at updating the XR8 probably at the end of the year, and I'm really contemplating what to buy. It must be second hand, and probably from a dealer so that I can lease it. I always wanted a GT, and since having the eight I think I'd like like another one. But I'm really considering my options, I've looked at HSV's, Lexus's even. But still not sure what to get.

So I think the time of people buying cars purely from loyalty are over. As someone has mentioned, lifestyle, practicality and the competing dollar are at an all time high at the moment.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #82
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Terry doesnt have sedan dynamics im sorry.
Go & drive one & then come back & tell me that!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #83
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
OK, so tell us exactly what it is about 135i drivers that you despise to the point that it's stopping you from fulfilling your particular taste? Sounds like this could be the least of your troubles.
Awesome little car. goes hard, stops even harder and handles brilliantly, 96000km, totally trouble free. Swear to God it drives exactly the same today as 3 years ago.
The Mrs hasnt adapted to the F6, too big, too "loose" and not enough gadgets (rain sensing wipers, etc, etc ) blah, blah...maybe she has become a brand snob ? Beetch !

There are a hell of a lot of quality cars now in the sub $30K drive away bracket.
The culprit Mazda 3 is 'from' $21 690 drive away (Courier Mail 7/1/12)
My pick - Honda Accord Euro $29 990 drive away

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #84
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Go & drive one & then come back & tell me that!!!
I have, sorry but a Tezza doesnt quite corner like a falcon sorry, an it aint the best. (I was talking driving dynamics)
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #85
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E

There are a hell of a lot of quality cars now in the sub $30K drive away bracket.
The culprit Mazda 3 is 'from' $21 690 drive away (Courier Mail 7/1/12)
My pick - Honda Accord Euro $29 990 drive away
There has been dealer demand for a Honda Accord Euro wagon and diesel to be sold here. That should shake up the local medium market if/when Honda goes ahead with it.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #86
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Options basically.

When I wanted to buy a falcon, i get a good base price and then comes the extra's. In my current car, only factory option was Bluetooth. Now it's standard. I hate paying for a car then getting stung on options. Include options as standard and I'd still be in a Falcon.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #87
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Discounted by those not looking for a 4wd (the fact that it may come in 2wd variant doesnt change its perception)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #88
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I think plenty of people are still buying Falcons - they're just buying second hand ones. There are heaps of families in suburbia with a second hand Falcon or Commodore in the driveway.
This.

The question should be "Whats stopping people from buying the new falcon?"

Personally i think its because its overpriced, under equipped and has absolutely useless adverting .

Honestly its better value to get a 2ndhand falcon and maintain it/hot it up, you get alot more car for your $

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Options basically.
You mean Factory options, there are infinite aftermarket options, you could have easily got a decent headunit that has bluetooth.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #89
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What stopped us buying a Falcon last year?

We wanted a practical car that my (short) wife could put a pram in easily. Que a wagon. Bye bye Falcon straight away. The BF3 was still for sale then but no thanks. We ended up in a diesel Mazda 6 wagon but considered a Mondeo. The 6 cost more than an XR6 at the time but for us a sedan is just not practical enough. The Mazda 6 has plenty of room for my family and I (I am about 6'3" and 100kg). It drives very well, has as much torque as a Falcon, more features at the time, can fit everything we want to in it, it will have better resale.... The list goes on.

Why won't I consider a Falcon ute to replace my RTV? Again, kids. I now need a dual cab as well as ground clearance.

Quote:
A Mazda 3 hatch can fit 4 x 18" wheels and tyres in the boot. Would a Falcon be able to do that?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #90
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if they reintroduced the Fairmont and Wagon they would sell better because it would appeal to more markets.
Closed Thread