Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Default Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

Quote:
Another thing, the capless fuel filler is playing up, sometimes very hard to get the filler nozzle into the neck, the little flap wont open. Of to dealer land I suppose for this one.
Had this problem last week & had the dealer check it out while the car was in getting the faulty left hand indicator phantom activation problem looked at.

Dealer said the pump must have been faulty & to use the plastic adapter nozzle supplied with the car. They said it worked fine & it did when I filled it after picking the car up. Although I had used the "faulty" bowser previously I have a feeling the nozzle was smaller than the one I use regularly. Waiting to see if it happens again.

Faulty indicators will be fixed when new switch arrives late next week. Extremely frustrating that virtually no parts seem to be stocked for these vehicles in Brisbane. Every time something needs fixing you have to return a second or third time to have it sorted.

Other issues Iv'e had were:

Outside Air Temp sender faulted first week I had it.

Parking sensors played up for a while then came good.

RH tweeter buzzing - replaced but didn't fix the problem

Stereo replaced after dropping RH channels occasionally & speakers distorting.
This still occurred a few times since replacement & dealer now says that it has something to do with the AM tuners in modern day vehicles. Happens in other models also. Must agree I havn't had an issue when listening to FM or the USB.

Think that's enough problems for the eighteen months Iv'e had the vehicle. Had similar ongoing niggles with my previous two Fairmonts & was hoping this car would be better in that department.

Despite that I still love driving the thing & wouldn't swap it back for a Falcon/Fairmont.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros5co View Post
Despite that I still love driving the thing & wouldn't swap it back for a Falcon/Fairmont.
I remember back in the days of the TR/TS Magna the road testers regularly stated that it handled better than the 'sports' version of the Falcon and Commodore.
Strangely the same journos still express their bias toward RWD today as if it was not manly to drive a FWD.....just another example of 'group think' IMO.

So what do you most like about driving it?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #33
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Hi Ryeman,

There are a number of things I really like about driving the Mondeo.

Firstly I like the way it tracks as if on rails around corners, far better than my previous XF & AU. I have driven a later model Falcon (BF I think) & although it felt better than the AU I felt the Mondy is superior. A personal opinion of course.

I also found in the wet it is very stable & I feel much safer than I did in my previous Fords. Maybe it's the European based design?

The other big thing for me is the triple mode gear box. In "D" it drives reasonably sedately & gives excellent mileage even around town. Slot the gear lever across to "S" & it's a whole new car with the gear changes much higher in the rev range & giving a much sportier feel.
I find though that I don't often use it in this mode for long preferring to use the third option & change gears manually as I want.
I have seen this gear box described as semi - automatic which I suppose it is in a way.
I am disappointed that the new model coming will most likely change the manual selection to a rocker button instead of a gear lever action. This to me loses it's appeal & may well be a reason not to upgrade in the future. Had a loaner Focus with this when my stereo was being replaced & it really took the enjoyment away from manually changing gears.
Pity it doesn't have paddles, that would be fun!

To top it off you can drive this car pretty hard & it still remains very economical at the pump. I used to top up my AU once a week, this has changed to once every three weeks now.

Apart from the driving I like the finish & equipment level, switches feel solid & of good quality (my AU window & other internal switches were crap & kept failing to work unless used regularly - XF were better).

Over all a better quality package to my way of thinking.

Cheers,

Ross
Old 29-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that Ross,
I've been driving a wide range cars over the last 50 years, from an 803cc Morris Minor Austin 1800/Kimberly Peugeot 406 HDI MX5 Jeep Wrangler Civics and now my first Oz RWD FG XR6 6A simply because like you I like a 'quality' feel these days rather than the old crude power that the big two had been providing.
I chose the FG because it finally delivers the driving 'precision' that a RWD Euro such as the 5/7 series and a genuinely sophisticated feel/presentation.
It's such a pity that its German influenced engineering was never know let alone appreciated by the general public who still judge by its derivative looks only when in fact Jag like suspension, BMW like drive train and Audi like interior are missed.
If the Falcon ceases production, I guess Mondeo/Fusion won't be hard to put up with though....

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Well if it comes to the stage where the Falcon does disappear I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Mondeo.

Surprisingly I find myself not missing the 4.0 Lt six cylinder engine & am more than happy with the 2.0 Lt Diesel turbo. It has heaps of grunt, accelerates well, particularly in Sport mode & manual, & is miles ahead in the fuel consumption stakes.

Only thing I don't like is the turbo lag which can catch you out at roundabouts.

This is where changing to "S" mode upon approach to them helps.

Cheers,

Ross
Old 30-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #36
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree Ross, my diesel Wrangler after chipping would overtake in a flash and could give great economy, but my LPI dual fuel FG is a delight and cost 5-7c/km to run with local parts.
My worry is that if the $A resumes it ~70US cent position the European sourced vehicles will be a bit exy to run long term unless Ford can inject some local content into it.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
walschaert
Starter Motor

I have just reached 240,000 in my 08 MA TDCi and have had no troubles really, been a good reliable drive. Problems I have seen are minor and haven't really let me down. It would stall a few time first thing in the morning - changed the air filter and that fixed it. The blocked filter sensor would shut the engine down but it only happened first start in the morning and at this was usually low rpm. Anyway the new filter fixed it.

The rest is usual stuff, pads and rotors - heavy on rotors, tail light lamps until I stopped using the nasty supercheap auto ones, couple of headlamp bulbs. Nothing unusual for servicing. Tyres last about 50,000kms.

The passenger side wiper spring has lost it's tension so there's an area that doesn't wipe and it judders, been like that for a long time but I haven't bothered changing it. One of the buttons for the demister is blistering.

Lots of paint scratches, some from a malicious ex, but in general I have found it scratches easily through the top coat.

It's time for replacement soon, thinking about getting another one.

Hope this is interesting.
walschaert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wiper judder....try a dose of Rainex with new rubbers.
Minor scratches seem to come easily on my dark FG....I wonder if BM/Merc are less vulnerable, if so why?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 15-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

2010 MB XR5T
* Audio USB - Old style iPod Nano gen3 is now sometimes (/frequently) cutting out after the first 5-odd seconds of playing on startup. Not sure if it is a player fault or audio unit problem - need to try a different iPod / USB stick.
* Remote Key - now fixed and both keys reprogrammed. One key found to be faulty after battery chg by dealer. No issues gaining replacement, just another trip back to dealer.....
* Rear Washer / Piddles on RR seat - now fixed. Jet replaced but dribbles on rear window above glass now (too far other direction!!) but at least the glass get wet. Hose connection problem to that jet caused piddles on RR seat. Fixed under warranty.
* Brakes spongy (/pedal bleed down) - subject to on-going discussions with dealer.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #40
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

I wonder if Ford will stick to the Mondeo name or relaunch as Fusion to 'replace' the Falcon.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 15-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
b2428

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the door trims?
The glue obviously doesn't like the heat as the top of the trims keep coming unstuck in a big way.
All my doors in my MA are doing this was wondering if it was related. Im just about to click over 57500kms and i swear at times my BA trans was smoother then this one. My car pauses between changes and thumps on down changes ALOT. As well as holding third.

Along with all this I have always had a little rattle, chirp noise from the dash that is now a massive one and annoys me so much. Thinking of pullin the dash apart but not sure how.

I also have movement in the drivers door when it is raised a little but not to worried about that.

When using the rear demister at night the headlights glow brighter which has got me stumped. Talking about lights it seems to be forever needing rear ones.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
?......
Talking about lights it seems to be forever needing rear ones.
Re tail lights just make sure you use a quality 'brand name' ...never the servo cheapies, they last a month at most in my experience.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 15-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #43
b2428

I have only ever used narva i think they have been can't member for sure.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #44
nevetsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the door trims?
The glue obviously doesn't like the heat as the top of the trims keep coming unstuck in a big way.
You mean the black rubber/plastic strips on the outside between the door and the windows?
Mine move up and down with the windows. They are easy to push back down but a real PIA.
Are they supposed to be glued into place? I thought I was missing some clips..

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #45
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

160,000 on my MA zetec, got it new.
fuel gauge faulty when new. read quarter tank when it ran out of fuel on the highway. fixed under warantee.
driver door trim is coming away at the top... super glue will fix that
had the flat battery problem needing a tow to ford for ecu reset. seems you CANNOT let a mondeo battery go flat.
the airconditioner is a word only. doesnt actually do anything.
160,000 km, one set of pads, two sets of tyres, one battery, couple of brake light globes... cant really complain about that
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #46
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Battery condition is fundamental to all ecu controlled car it seems, not least the FG Falcon.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 22-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #47
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
160,000 km, one set of pads, two sets of tyres, one battery, couple of brake light globes... cant really complain about that
No kidding. Highway mostly I'm assuming?
Old 22-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
liamhogan
Starter Motor

Have had multiple problems with the cooling system after only 35,000. Radiator leak, hose seal breaking and today the Mondeo has been diagnosed with cracks in the pump housing (after repeatedly rapidly loosing almost all coolant whilst driving - pressure testing showed that it all started coming out at only 8psi...)

Very annoying!
liamhogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
ralfaford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnzy View Post
Back in 2010, my MA did the same thing. It was fixed under warranty, and I have not had an issue since. I am hoping it was fixed with a better glue then the one used in the factory.
Found the same thing, had all 4 door trims replaced under warranty and no peeling of the top part of the trim
ralfaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #50
cwboy83
Starter Motor

I bought a mondeo ma zetec second hand and the alarm doesn't work. Dose Anyone know how to fix the alarm system on the ma ? I would really like to fix the alarm system
cwboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #51
PizzaCat
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
6 months and 8500km the only thing is that three or four times I've had to pull the USB drive out and re-insert to get the music playing again.
That is a general issue with all Fords and iPods I have found.
PizzaCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #52
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaCat View Post
That is a general issue with all Fords and iPods I have found.
We FG owners have a theory that it may be voltage related and many issues are resolved with a new high capacity battery....strangely this sometimes includes AC / ICC issues.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 27-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #53
mas89

I got a problem with trucks that want to use two lanes ,,and then hit rear right and destroy a mag wheel

1230024_10200301581003107_2049831701_n.jpg
Old 27-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
nevetsg

Outch! I hope they stopped, you got their details and they didn't claim it was your fault.
If in Sydney. Don't use Cosgrove Smash Repair in South Strathfield.

Nevetsg.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #55
mas89

had to chase him down [with a lot of noise coming from the rear ] about 600meters, thankful got all the details and shannons come out tomorrow.
Old 22-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #56
cattitude

Ive had loads of problems and ones that are really dangerous.
you can read my posting http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11405034
cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #57
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been a while since I contributed here but seeing as I have now done 125k in the old girl, I thought I would pass on the issues I have had along the way.

2010 MB XR5. Issues including:
*Hatch rubbing. Dealer adjusted and resprayed under warranty at 10k. Started rubbing again and was noted. Resprayed again later and the dealer had clear vinyl wrap placed on the bumper which has stopped the paint wearing. far easier to replace the vinyl than respray.
*Both front hubs replaced due to broken wheel studs. Most likely scenario is wheel shop over tightening lug nuts. have had them use hand tools ever since, no further issues.
*Seat base rocking. A bolt had come out inside the seat. refitted and locktited into place.
*Multiple Stop light bulbs replaced. Seems to be a bit of a Bermuda Triangle for the Mondeo?
*Strut top bearing. Was squeaking to the point of me slashing my wrists whenever i drove the car! Diagnosed and replaced under warranty.
*Under dash fuse panel bracket broken. This one took more than a year to rectify. The part is bespoke to the MB and not kept as a spare. I had to wait for one to be made and sent over from Europe! Took 14months...
*Water ingress into cabin. Turned out to be the seal in the heater box. It was incorrectly fitted at the factory and allowed condensation from the operation of the a/c to work its way into the cabin migrating along the a/c vent lines. would pool on the rear floor behind the driver's seat. difficult to diagnose and was without my car for a week. as an aside, during testing my windscreen cracked (it had been chipped) but the dealership replaced it under warranty.
* On the subject of windscreens, I have had to replace it three times. First courtesy of a Land Cruiser chucking a stone. Second courtesy of a Vic Roads maintenance vehicle chucking a stone. Third as described above during testing for a leak issue.
*Jacking point covers. After 105k problem free, two of these fell out within 24 hours of each other. had a new set of 2 painted but before i could fit them a third fell out. just pulled the 4th one out and have left it like that. i'm used to the look of it now...
* I now have a few minor trim issues. one of the silver tips on an a/c vent has come off. the boot around the gear shifter has a couple of small holes in it and the alcantera my drivers seat now has a tear in it where my hip rubs on it entering and exiting the car.

All in all I have been extremely happy with my Mondeo. easily the best car I have ever had and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone buying one.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were the tail light globes replacements a quality brand?
Suspect earth?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #59
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EOM replaced under warranty. while ever a valid warranty exists, all bulbs are covered. haven't been able to pinpoint a cause but it appears to be a common trait with MB Mondeo at least.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #60
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Bulbs - 3yrs + and not blown one.

MB XR5 2010 build.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post