Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #31
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Launches Bold New Ranger FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Just because something is popular and mainstream doesnt mean its good.

Apple phones are overpriced, break easy and are obsolete in no time. But every second person will have one. Doesnt mean its a very good product.

For a more extreme example. Asbestos was a great product back in the day, easy to work with, plenty available, well priced and versatile. But doesnt mean its as good as people think.

"Planking" was an old craze a while ago which everyone did. Doesnt mean it was good.

SUVs are bulky but small, have bigger more expensive tyres etc etc doesnt mean its better than a normal sedan.
The SUV craze has slowed down and being overtaken by the dual cab craze.
Sticker packs are the best thing manufacturers can come up with these days as its cheap and the stupid public laps it up.
This is exactly right and another example that backs it up is music - the most popular, top 40 type stuff is by far the worst stuff being produced. Actually, with music you can make an argument that on a sliding scale, the more popular it is, the worse it is. When you look at the top selling cars - Corolla and HiLux, you could make the same argument here as well...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Apple phones are overpriced, break easy and are obsolete in no time. But every second person will have one. Doesnt mean its a very good product.

For a more extreme example. Asbestos was a great product back in the day, easy to work with, plenty available, well priced and versatile. But doesnt mean its as good as people think.

"Planking" was an old craze a while ago which everyone did. Doesnt mean it was good.

SUVs are bulky but small, have bigger more expensive tyres etc etc doesnt mean its better than a normal sedan.
The SUV craze has slowed down and being overtaken by the dual cab craze.
Sticker packs are the best thing manufacturers can come up with these days as its cheap and the stupid public laps it up.

Its kind of like Hitler, everyone was excited at first but wait some years then all sorts will go wrong with it.

But i dont really care, i drive my old mostly aussie rubbish (to everybody else) cars. My point = Most new cars are great, but not as good as people reckon and i refuse to move on when im not gaining absolutley no benefit whatsover.
AND im pretty sure binning old cars and making new ones isnt as good for the envirnment as keeping older stuff going. But hey im no expert.
If im going to tow something, im going to go and buy a 2000's model F250 as its actually cheaper to own an run than something like a Ranger. I can say this as my parents own a new Ranger and i know some people who had an F250 for 500,000kms.

PS: this post isnt entirley aimed at you RANGEREST so dont take it personally!
Really, my brother has owned a few F150 & F250's, he reckons my Ranger is the duck guts, must say I agree with him.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #33
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ranger is a nice vehicle, all the new dual cabs are nice. They'd all easily eat up a full lap of oz without raising a sweat. All comes down to need and budget - each to their own.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #34
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
S**tbox, gutless Rangers, outselling Falcon 36-1, quite saleable I think.
The automotive world has moved on, unlike some of the members here.
56 years the Falcon lasted, I can see why many members won't move on for a long time, if ever.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #35
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
.Actually, with music you can make an argument that on a sliding scale, the more popular it is, the worse it is. When you look at the top selling cars - Corolla and HiLux, you could make the same argument here as well...
So when the the Falcon was popular and topping charts it was no good?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

!
Can I ask what sort of phone do you have?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #37
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Can I ask what sort of phone do you have?
Yes you can. But that's not up for discussion as people will twist words into suiting their argument against me when in fact I am right to a decent degree and people get so protective and offended. Well this is what forums are all about. More people need a backbone instead of going with the crowd to be accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
Really, my brother has owned a few F150 & F250's, he reckons my Ranger is the duck guts, must say I agree with him.
Yeah? I haven't had much first hand F series experience just from owners but fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
So when the the Falcon was popular and topping charts it was no good?
Yup. No good from 2003 onwards. But FG was pretty awesome! Done away with all the B seriesness but they made the FGX look like a smashed crab that played 20 innings as a cricket ball.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes you can. But that's not up for discussion as people will twist words into suiting their argument against me when in fact I am right to a decent degree and people get so protective and offended. Well this is what forums are all about. More people need a backbone instead of going with the crowd to be accepted.

Yeah? I haven't had much first hand F series experience just from owners but fair enough!

Yup. No good from 2003 onwards. But FG was pretty awesome! Done away with all the B seriesness but they made the FGX look like a smashed crab that played 20 innings as a cricket ball.
Ok fair comment, just want to establish whether you own any new devices or have had experience with them. which is fine not everybody is in the market for new.

But you have to understand the companies manufacturing cars, phones etc are targeting others that buy new. they have to keep re-inventing the wheel to keep ahead of the competition.
Most on this forum will see past a few new stickers and fancy seats, but at the same appreciate they are making an effort.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Xf, Ef, El ETC?

\≡≡T≡≡/
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Jesus christ, those prices!

No wonder there's so many Tritons around...including in our driveway. We would have loved a Ranger, but once you mention "twin cab 4x4 diesel auto" with a half decent amount of trim, you are looking at nearly sixty bloody grand...for cars that are all spat out of factories up in Thailand or Indonesia anyway....
I have never driven a Triton, but Pajeros are rough as guts for an SUV. Triton being a ute with leaf suspension on the back I didn't think they would be any better than the Paj.
I think my Ranger is smoother drive than the Paj.

As for more Triton's around, I don't know about that. Ranger was regularly fighting for top sales spot with the Hilux each month.

Don't get me wrong the price of the FX4 is ridiculous. It's more than 10k more then what I paid for my Ranger. I thought mine was more than expensive enough.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #41
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Xf, Ef, El ETC?
More effort put in than sticker packs. Different engine options etc. Not 5 variations of turbo diesel. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
Ok fair comment, just want to establish whether you own any new devices or have had experience with them. which is fine not everybody is in the market for new.

But you have to understand the companies manufacturing cars, phones etc are targeting others that buy new. they have to keep re-inventing the wheel to keep ahead of the competition.
Most on this forum will see past a few new stickers and fancy seats, but at the same appreciate they are making an effort.
Yes, iPhone SE 4 months old and repaired once. But it's a lot cheaper than dads ranger which needed repair after 4 months and warranty isn't worth jack crap. But that is typical Ford in general.

But I see your point and it's very valid. No I'm not happy with how the world has changed into a bland boring place full of junk (in my opinion) and I can't help but voice it.
Years ago I was excited to see new models and go to motor shows. Now I couldn't care less because they're all the same these days. I don't understand the hype!!

It's all good. I've had my say, I'll leave it be

Subaru Outback '02
Old 17-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
More effort put in than sticker packs. Different engine options etc. Not 5 variations of turbo diesel. What's your point?
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Or does the logic chop and change?

People are buying the Ranger same reasons they bought a Falcon, because its the right car the market...if it "wasn't good" it wouldn't sell..

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Well you'd know more about it than me, but my way of thinking is that with most modern cars a huge amount of effort is put into things like weight savings, composite metals, alloy suspension components, nurburgring testing (increasingly so!) and also needs to work in many countries. Off road, heavy loads, heavy towing - they're more or less known quantities.

But yeah, you're out at the proving grounds and say the development budget is huge - huge in comparison to the Falcon, or huge in comparison to say the new Mustang, or a new gen Merc C class or something?

I just googled it, only thing I could find was reference to Ford Australia earning $700 million in design and technical fees for their work on the Ranger. Holden spent $1 billion on the VE. Fair comparison?
I'm not sure if exact figures were ever released. But Falcon was always shoe string, Ranger is the exact opposite. The advantage of being sold in 180+ countries, with North America set to join the party. It would be interesting to see which countries it isn't sold it, it would be a very short list.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #44
superyob
Banned

I would have a Ranger over any other 4X4 in a heartbeat. Hopefully still will in coming years...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #45
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
This...

Or does the logic chop and change?

People are buying the Ranger same reasons they bought a Falcon, because its the right car the market...if it "wasn't good" it wouldn't sell..
Just goes to show people love to buy what everyone else does. What do you drive? Seeing as it's not in your sig. You mention Tickford so you should know what a nicely tweaked car is like. Engine enhancement and suspension, a nice body kit and one of the best logos ever made to show this.

And you should know full well that a Tickford Ranger is anything but what a Tickford enhanced vehicle was. Sticker pack yeehaww I'm a cool kid like everyone else in my big Ranger yeww..

Subaru Outback '02
Old 17-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just goes to show people love to buy what everyone else does. What do you drive? Seeing as it's not in your sig. You mention Tickford so you should know what a nicely tweaked car is like. Engine enhancement and suspension, a nice body kit and one of the best logos ever made to show this.

And you should know full well that a Tickford Ranger is anything but what a Tickford enhanced vehicle was. Sticker pack yeehaww I'm a cool kid like everyone else in my big Ranger yeww..
From the Tickford site........
http://www.tickford.com.au/ranger/

TICKFORD’s custom tune delivers up to 15 per cent more power and up to 20 per cent more torque, improving throttle response and giving the driver a strong, linear torque curve.

Improved on-road feeling is delivered via TICKFORD’s ride and handling package which uses Bilstein dampers, Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tyres, TICKFORD 20-Inch alloy rims and upgraded springs and rear bushes with optional lift kit. Flared guards with etched TICKFORD logo rivets top off the ride and handling package.

TICKFORD’s interior package includes upgraded front and rear OEM-spec leather seats, suede and perforated-leather TICKFORD steering wheel, oem-spec leather centre console lid and OEM-spec leather door times on XLT.

But you're right, there is a sticker on the tailgate

The powertrain package is topped off with a TICKFORD tailgate badge.
Old 17-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #47
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

TICKFORD’s custom tune delivers up to 15 per cent more power and up to 20 per cent more torque, improving throttle response and giving the driver a strong, linear torque curve.

Improved on-road feeling is delivered via TICKFORD’s ride and handling package which uses Bilstein dampers, Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tyres, TICKFORD 20-Inch alloy rims and upgraded springs and rear bushes with optional lift kit. Flared guards with etched TICKFORD logo rivets top off the ride and handling package.

TICKFORD’s interior package includes upgraded front and rear OEM-spec leather seats, suede and perforated-leather TICKFORD steering wheel, oem-spec leather centre console lid and OEM-spec leather door times on XLT.

But you're right, there is a sticker on the tailgate

The powertrain package is topped off with a TICKFORD tailgate badge.
I want one, I want one, I want one...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #48
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:

Since you must know, a AU S3 XR8, prior to that an 98 EL XR6 and an ED falcon. You must also forget that Tickford did exciting things like the Cougar, install gas systems and put body kits onto Fairmonts...along with adding different trim onto the Vauxhall Calibra...

Either way, you've got your wires crossed. Tickford offer suspension and engine upgrades to the ranger...sounds like what Tickford does?

But from the gist of your logic, a Falcon selling and being popular means its a good car, Ranger selling and being popular is a bad car...someone better tell those Aussie designers and engineers that the Ranger product is no good.

\≡≡T≡≡/
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone likes something that is popular its "popular because it's good"

If the same person hates something that is popular its "popular because the sheeple want to be cool"

That's how life works.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #50
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Well there you go. My uneducated rant with no research has been flattened. I have learnt something new. Ah well, enjoy your Ranger's everyone

Subaru Outback '02
Old 17-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well there you go. My uneducated rant with no research has been flattened. I have learnt something new. Ah well, enjoy your Ranger's everyone
Enjoy your EL.

Did you buy that one new ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #52
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Flared guards with etched TICKFORD logo rivets top off the ride and handling package.[/I]
You gotta love those rivets.

It's worth the price just to score a set of those.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #53
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Enjoy your EL.

Did you buy that one new ?
My post was not sarcasm thank you.

Subaru Outback '02