Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #31
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The (nostalgic) good old days

The good old days of the 50s and 60s where whatever stupid thing you got up to (and survived) wasn't broadcast over the internet for the rest of the world to see.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #32
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The good old days of the 50s and 60s where whatever stupid thing you got up to (and survived) wasn't broadcast over the internet for the rest of the world to see.
We had the same philosophy in the 80’s and 90’s too LG.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The funniest part is it's the people who grew up in the era described that made the world soft today.

Peanut allergies are believed to be more common today because boomer doctors told pregnant women to avoid peanuts. Suddenly their kids are more likely to have a peanut allergy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
The funniest part is it's the people who grew up in the era described that made the world soft today.

Peanut allergies are believed to be more common today because boomer doctors told pregnant women to avoid peanuts. Suddenly their kids are more likely to have a peanut allergy.
Excellent point. The boomers who whinge about the younger generations were the ones who raised them, and made them the very thing they complain about.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #35
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kcodezd, I was well and truly grown up then but still managed some stupid things.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #36
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fondly remember going on long drives, visiting the supermarket with full shelves, and sitting in a movie theatre full of other people, it was 3 months ago.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #37
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 1990s was best. Cold war over, could buy cheap 60s and 70s cars, still have drive ins but smart people could have the internet. Houses were cheap, so was many other things.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #38
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot to mention, but since I was talking about old cassettes in another thread if you want to relive to glory 90s with napster file sharing I was suprised to learn that soulseek is still running and full of music you can download and share napster style.

I got into the laid back style of J J cale after discovering soulseek was actually still running and full of music a couple of weeks ago. http://www.soulseekqt.net/news/node/1
Need chilled laid back music so we're all not angry at the supermarket or at other people during these times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JvyxKJToJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81Vx-0uM0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKpbMlRM60

Last edited by oldel; 11-04-2020 at 11:12 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #39
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Excellent point. The boomers who whinge about the younger generations were the ones who raised them, and made them the very thing they complain about.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #40
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I fondly remember going on long drives, visiting the supermarket with full shelves, and sitting in a movie theatre full of other people, it was 3 months ago.
Maybe those good old days will return eventually . hope so before insanity epidemic starts ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #41
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Hi all

Sent to me by a south Australian friend:

Those were the days - A Bit of Nostalgia

My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli.
Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the creek, the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine chlorinated pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then either?.
We all took PE ..... And risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes or bare feet if you couldn’t afford the runners instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the cane or the strap for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those older than us.
We had at least 40 kids in our class and somehow we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!
We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion, sang the national anthem and saluted the Flag and no one got upset. Staying in detention after school netted us all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn't got.
And we all knew we had to accomplish something before we were allowed to be proud of ourselves.
I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. We weren't!! Don’t even mention about the rope swing into the river or climbing trees
Oh yeah ... And where were the antibiotics and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!
We played "King of the Castle" on piles of dirt or gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?
We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
BUGGER ME!!
How did we ever survive?
LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!
Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
AAAAh, those WERE the days!!!!

Probably need to be of an age similar to mine to remember how things were.

Cheers

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
OK boomer.
Old 14-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #43
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
OK boomer.

That's MR boomer, plus you left out that I am good looking; boomer should also have a capital

So your post should have read: "OK Mr good looking Boomer.

Write out ten times "I must not be a silly boy."
Old 14-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #44
Dave1966

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.
Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.
We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart *** young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to **** us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
That's MR boomer, plus you left out that I am good looking; boomer should also have a capital

So your post should have read: "OK Mr good looking Boomer.

Write out ten times "I must not be a silly boy."
OK Mr Ug Lee Boomer
Old 14-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #46
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

For those of you who can't do maths the baby boomers raised genx, the greatest generation in the history of the world. How did we get so awesome ? because we lived every day all day long watching what FWs our parents were. The reason you millennials are such snowflakes is you grew up knowing you could never be as good as us and you've been crying bout it ever since...

Now slightly more seriously...It is of course true there were lots of bad things in the 70's, 60's, 50's but I really do believe that on balance were are a people and society diminished by the last 50 years of left leaning. In the last 10 particularly the cries have become so shrill, the demands so unreasonable, that they have driven a swing back to the right, hard right. I'm a moderate and hate both extremes, unfortunately society doesn't seem to embrace balance, it just swings between ugly extremes.

I remember the 70's with tremendous affection. I have a video of us playing at the beach mid 70's. One of the things that strikes me is there are kids everywhere running around going completely nuts and the adults are just fine with it all. No dirty looks, or punch up over noise or sand getting kicked around, or people getting splashed. Everyone was just getting on. I walked to school alone form about 8yo. Yep there were pedos, wife beaters, lots of divorces. The NSW police were the biggest criminal organisation in the country. But the power didn't go out bills didn't bankrupt people and even though sydney was never a friendly place it was neither as suffocating nor as scary as it is now.

There is massively less pollution now, medicine is so much better, but we are literally being killed by convenience. Fat people were rare as were credit cards. Most people only got a loan to buy a house, everything else was saved for. I've been paywaving since the lockdown and those things are diabolical. No wonder there is so much debt about, you get no sense of the spend at all...

I really think on balance things are worse now.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

From a Truckies point of view.

The good
  • The Hume Hwy was nearly all single lane.
  • Police radar hadn't been invented.
  • When you got pulled for speeding you could have a joke with the Plods.
  • Footscray to Homebush was possible in 9 1/2 hrs (with a break for coffee)
  • 120kmh was the 'normal' cruising speed.
  • 110kmh was when you put the Truck into top gear.
  • When you broke down at least one driver would stop to see if they could help.
  • Cigarettes and Petrol were a LOT cheaper.
  • We got to see all the good bands the first time around.
The not so good.
  • No climate control.
  • No cruise control.
  • Rougher roads than today (yes, it is possible)
  • 20hr working days.
Old 14-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #48
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Back in the 70s/80s I never had to worry about the batteries going flat in my street directory or Australian Atlas, didn't have to worry about having enough data to operate them and never got a fine for using them whilst driving. As a bonus, using these made you develop a good sense of direction (certain people not) and learn more about the areas you were driving in, traffic conditions etc. because you had to think about how to best navigate to get to the destination.

The digital devices of today do all of the thinking for you but quite often, they are not giving you the best information.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #49
Trendseeker

9.5 hours from Footscray to Homebush in a truck on the old Hume highway? No way. Too many curves and single lane sections. Even between 11pm and 6:30am, I cant see how you could do it. 10.5 maybe.
Old 14-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
9.5 hours from Footscray to Homebush in a truck on the old Hume highway? No way. Too many curves and single lane sections. Even between 11pm and 6:30am, I cant see how you could do it. 10.5 maybe.
If you weren't there and doing it, don't say it cant be done

I used to do it 5 nights a week.

You can do it in 10.5 now with a speed limited Truck.
Old 14-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #51
Trendseeker

Your truck must have been a scary sight barreling along the old Hume at those speeds. Good record, though, hard to beat on the newer roads.
Old 14-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #52
Trendseeker

Hey Gaso, is there any truth to the rumour that you featured in an ad in the old days, and did you marry the girl on the bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszuCHn0k-A
Old 14-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Your truck must have been a scary sight barreling along the old Hume at those speeds. Good record, though, hard to beat on the newer roads.
It topped out at 152kmh

(I know coz the boss got booked for it )
Old 14-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hey Gaso, is there any truth to the rumour that you featured in an ad in the old days, and did you marry the girl on the bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszuCHn0k-A
Nah, I had a proper Truck and a better looking Girl...............still got the girl as well

Old 14-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #55
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
OK Mr Ug Lee Boomer

3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #56
roKWiz
Cabover nut

That W is not even grey. I thought they were the only ones doing 150km/h on the Hume then.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That W is not even grey. I thought they were the only ones doing 150km/h on the Hume then.
The Grey Ghosts just went up hills quicker
Old 14-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
The Grey Ghosts just went up hills quicker
And in Georgia overdrive down I hear.

Old 14-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
And in Georgia overdrive down I hear.
Actually they went slower due to being so light.
Old 14-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Actually they went slower due to being so light.
Torsion bars no doubt.

I was one of 3 passengers on one of the last daytime runs of Firefly Express (just before the new fatigue laws came in) Sydney CBD to Wangaratta. He did the run with two rest stops in 7 hours. Still with the single lane sections beyond Tarcutta. Sitting up front I could hear the speed limiters constantly going off running down hill.

I was impressed.

2 users like this post: