Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Post Mondeo MC glass mounted antenna

Hi, can anyone tell me on which window the glass mounted antenna is located?
I want to tint the windows when I pick up the new Zetec wagon and want to make sure the tinting film does not interfere with radio reception. Any thoughts on this?

Territory2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo MC glass mounted antenna

Wow, I didn't even realize that the roof mounted radio aerial had been deleted on the later models.

That said, I'd be amazed if were anywhere other than the windscreen, for the following reasons:

1. Closest point to the radio,
2. Common to all models,
3. Easy to get at a power source if an aerial amplifier is needed.
4. All the other glass of adequate area in the hatch is moveable and makes for connection/routing problems.
5. The wagon rear fixed glass is quite small and may not have adequate horizontal length for an in glass antenna.

So, I'll put my money on the windscreen, and I believe that the windscreen is already tinted to the maximum allowed by legislation or through ADR rules.

In any case the antenna is within the glass panel and tinting is applied to the inside of the glass? So it should not shield the wiring of an embedded aerial and would only do so if the tint material had metallic content and was electrically connected to the car's sheet metal.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
ian b

Previous Euro Fords I have owned have this feature installed in the rear window, I think using the heater element as the receiver.
Old 31-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

It looks like the antenna is located in the rear left and right windows of the boot in the wagon. I had a different tint film put onto that glass, non metallic, in order to minimise reception issues. Results are fantastic, no loss of reception quality.
Old 18-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
mondeo zetec
Broogg

Hey Territory2014, where did you get your tints done?
mondeo zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

I had it done by a tinter that works for a Toyota pre delivery dept, it was a favour from an old mate
Old 18-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
mondeo zetec
Broogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory2014 View Post
I had it done by a tinter that works for a Toyota pre delivery dept, it was a favour from an old mate
Champion!
mondeo zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
nevetsg

On a side note. I got these instead of a tint. They do the job quite nicely.

http://www.uvcarshades.co.uk/information/benefits/

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Wow, I didn't even realize that the roof mounted radio aerial had been deleted on the later models.

That said, I'd be amazed if were anywhere other than the windscreen, for the following reasons:

1. Closest point to the radio,
2. Common to all models,
3. Easy to get at a power source if an aerial amplifier is needed.
4. All the other glass of adequate area in the hatch is moveable and makes for connection/routing problems.
5. The wagon rear fixed glass is quite small and may not have adequate horizontal length for an in glass antenna.

So, I'll put my money on the windscreen, and I believe that the windscreen is already tinted to the maximum allowed by legislation or through ADR rules.

In any case the antenna is within the glass panel and tinting is applied to the inside of the glass? So it should not shield the wiring of an embedded aerial and would only do so if the tint material had metallic content and was electrically connected to the car's sheet metal.

Cheers
I took my 2010 back into the dealer this week and asked if it should have a radio antenna. Especially seeing the cover of the Owners Manual show a Mondeo with one.

Reply from them was it is fitted to the rear screen of my Zetec and be careful not to break it as the replacement cost is over $700 Ouch!
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
I took my 2010 back into the dealer this week and asked if it should have a radio antenna. Especially seeing the cover of the Owners Manual show a Mondeo with one.

Reply from them was it is fitted to the rear screen of my Zetec and be careful not to break it as the replacement cost is over $700 Ouch!
I believe he would be talking about replacing the whole rear windscreen as the antenna is embedded in it like the demister strips are.
If that is in fact the price for the rear windscreen its not that bad.
I had a rear window on a corolla shattered by a rock from a lawnmower a few years ago and it was $1600.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Most rear mounted heater demisters are painted or bonded onto the inside of the rear window and you would think that the same technology would be used for a glass mounted aerial especially given one of the reasons that manufacturers moved from embedded demister is the ease of repair of the element with conductive paint both during use and at manufacturer (not having to scrap a complete screen where the embedding process failed in a minor way).