Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post QLD Police Choose Stinger as Highway Car.

"QUEENSLAND POLICE will roll out 50 Kia Stinger highway patrol cars between now and December, replacing the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon pursuit vehicles.
Speaking at the handover of the first vehicles, Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said, “This is a very important day for us. We needed a special product to do a job for us, and that is what we have here. A wonderful product.”
Assistant Commissioner (Road Policing Command) Mike Keating (and Commisioner Ian Stewart pictured below) said the evaluation process had been extensive and in several parts: “It started with the desktop evaluation, then a track performance evaluation and then the operational evaluation conducted in real-world conditions.
“The final overall evaluation and review included the very important aspect of maintenance and cost. The Stinger performed very well in all areas and we had nothing but top reports from all the field officers.
“The result is a road policing first for us, the first foreign car to perform these duties.”

© Provided by Practical Motoring Queensland Police has chosen the Kia Stinger 330 V6 as its highway patrol car to replace the outgoing Commodore and Falcon.
Kia Motors Australia Chief Operating Officer, Damien Meredith, said the policing role for the Stinger was an excellent outcome for Kia and a watershed moment for the brand image.
“This level of public exposure and endorsement from a high-profile government utility is something which wouldn’t have been on the radar just a few years ago,” Mr Meredith said. “It is just a beginning, but a very important one for us.”
The Victorian Police announced it would be purchasing the BMW 530d as its highway patrol car replacement while the NSW Police have followed suit in choosing the 530d but also the ageing Chrysler 300C.
In its statement to the media, Kia said the Stinger and the Sorento were being evaluated by other police forces around the country.
The Kia Stinger 330 runs a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 making 272kW and 510Nm of torque. While many see the Stinger as the spiritual successor to the Commodore and Falcon of yore, it isn't, not in this writer's opinion anyway.
Sure, it's rear-drive and got plenty of grunt but it's more of a cruiser than a bruiser. Still, I think Queensland Police have made the right choice...I think the other police forces around the country will be kicking themselves they passed up the Stinger https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/n...cid=spartandhp

Last edited by csv8; 16-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD Police Choose Stinger as Highway Car.

Good choice, I'd be happy to flog around in these for an 8 hour shift.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just proves what we have always known about Queenslanders...
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Stinger will most likely be more reliable than the BMW, and a lot better alrounder than the Chrysler.Isn,t the 300 made by the same company that makes Jeep,which is the most unreliable car after Range Rover.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
zabatron

The Stinger is a good choice as it has twin turbo Power and the rear wheel drive as preferred by law enforcement both here and in US....pity we don't get the AWD Stinger here like they do in the US...that would be even better.
As for Jeeps being so unreliable,that must be why my 2016 Cherokee has not missed a beat in the 2 and a half years I have owned it,and also why my father's 05 Cherokee has needed nothing more than regular servicing since new....Jeeps must really be so unreliable that I if I believe everything I hear about them I should definitely steer well clear of them next time!
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't know why they bother. it's not like they are allowed to engage in high speed pursuit anymore, and a camry hybrid will get them anywhere just as quickly (traffic, intersections, etc).
Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The Stinger will most likely be more reliable than the BMW, and a lot better alrounder than the Chrysler.Isn,t the 300 made by the same company that makes Jeep,which is the most unreliable car after Range Rover.
Guy in the office has a Jeep Cherokee, 100x nicer car than my territory and much better built. Put it another way, he has not had to threaten legal action to get rust fixed under warranty like I did.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SA Police have chosen the ZB .
Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Just proves what we have always known about Queenslanders...
And with SA going for ZB Holden’s and Kia Sorrentos it confirms what we know about South Australians!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Guy in the office has a Jeep Cherokee, 100x nicer car than my territory and much better built. Put it another way, he has not had to threaten legal action to get rust fixed under warranty like I did.
Couldn't get rid of my Cherokee fast enough.
I still don't think Jeep have been able to work out how to fix all the faults on it.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
Couldn't get rid of my Cherokee fast enough.
I still don't think Jeep have been able to work out how to fix all the faults on it.
A client of mine bought an SRT Jeep. The thing was riddled with weird electrical gremlins which were not reproducible, and hence hard to diagnose or fix. Most were to do with the audio system and sometimes climate control. He lost it and put it up for sale, when one night the actual headlights switched themselves off and refused to function until he restarted the car. Is Jeep’s factory on an American Indian native burial ground or something
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
SAPOL posted they are trialling the ZB....and 'continuing' trial of the Sorento as posted this week. Holden said they're rolling out 100. Go figure.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-poli...s#.W0WKZ0iFPmE

Good to hear the black ones will likely be the ones we brake for!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
are you kidding rust when it is still under warranty are you sure its not a Holden Gemini .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabatron View Post
As for Jeeps being so unreliable,that must be why my 2016 Cherokee has not missed a beat in the 2 and a half years I have owned it,and also why my father's 05 Cherokee has needed nothing more than regular servicing since new....Jeeps must really be so unreliable that I if I believe everything I hear about them I should definitely steer well clear of them next time!
My 2016 Grand has been good too. Keep in mind people who have never owned them know more than owners because their dogs, cousins, neighbours, uncle had one 20 years ago that had a few issues.

I'm not saying they are amazing reliability, but I think the bad press is a bit over done since the new models are pretty decent.
I know a few dealers haven't helped in customer relations, but Chrysler/Jeep gave me free loan cars at servicing time about 4 years before Ford started bragging about it on TV ads.

Another funny thing about Jeep, is they seem to have many repeat customers from what I have seen with people I know IRL. Not bad for junk garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
What will they do in 18 months when they don't exist anymore?

Last edited by Ben73; 12-07-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
i don't know why they bother. it's not like they are allowed to engage in high speed pursuit anymore, and a camry hybrid will get them anywhere just as quickly (traffic, intersections, etc).
So why dont they just get commodores. And give the cash to holden.

Australian police should drive Australian cars.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Bullit Mustangs AU wide.