Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Chopped
as in chopped

Default " The inferior cars our auto industry can’t a-Ford" >

What a load of tosh !

Check out what this "journalist" has written >

Source > http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...y-cant-a-Ford/
Quote:
" Australia’s car manufacturing industry is facing a self-inflicted crisis. After a decade of sliding demand for the locally made Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon and Toyota Camry, car makers have blamed everything but themselves.

But the hard reality is Australian customers are fed up with the half-baked ******** our car industry serves up and refuse to buy an inferior product simply because it’s Australian made.

Massive discounts to woo back disgruntled customers have been too little too late, as recent figures show Australian consumers have made up their minds and prefer superior foreign made cars.

In fact, last year the Japanese made Mazda 3 was crowned Australia’s highest selling car outselling the Commodore for the first time ever, while Falcon sales were down 20 per cent.

But despite the woeful output from local manufacturers, earlier this year the government rewarded the industry with hundreds of millions of dollars - adding to the billions in subsidies already given over the years - with few strings attached.

As Julia Gillard promised the funding would create more jobs, car companies promised to keep producing their mediocre cars in Australia for another few years.

However Ford appears to have had other intentions and yesterday announced another 400 jobs would be lost at two of its plants in Victoria despite a one hundred million dollar government handout earlier this year.

Ford justified the job cuts as necessary as the company continued to overhaul its business operation. Part of the overhaul includes a taxpayer-funded upgrade to the engines in their local car line-up, which will be centred around a “revolutionary” new 2.0L four-cylinder engine in its Falcon for the first time ever, replacing the fuel guzzling, sluggish, six-cylinder engine the Falcon used for nearly 20 years.

But despite the hype, there’s nothing revolutionary about it at all. European and Japanese car companies have been using a similar four cylinder engine for over six years now. Since then they have developed smaller and more efficient engines with more power and lower fuel consumption.

But this typifies Australian car makers’ ethos; they are reactive, rather than pro-active. While foreign car companies find innovative new solutions for their customers, we’re selling inefficient, superseded technology.

Several commentators have made the valid point that a country’s car industry should be its “technical innovation hub”, which would justify the billions of taxpayer investment, but I’m yet to see anything the Australia car industry has developed that would be considered cutting edge innovation.

Australian car manufacturers been pampered by government hand-outs and high import tariffs while producing a boring, uninspiring product that no one actually wants. And judging by the government’s response the cycle looks set to continue.

It might sound obvious, but the only way the car industry is going to reverse its fortunes is to develop a product that people actually want. That’s the idea of running a business, after all.

And with the prospect of over one million cars selling in Australia this year, they’re running out of excuses. "
> The ill informed "media" are out to kill are car industry <

You should read the comments too

Old 20-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Default Re: " The inferior cars our auto industry can’t a-Ford" >

Simply a peanut writing about something that he knows nothing about. The part about the ecoboost engine made me laugh, most reports place it ahead of the low capacity turbo units from MB and Audi. Everyone knows Ford is struggling in Australia, however some of his arguments are laughable.
Old 20-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A journalist is a just forum member who gets paid.

Some are trolls. The best way to combat a troll is to ignore them. If no one reacts to what the troll writes his employment is endangered and he will change his position accordingly.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`d say this statement
" replacing the fuel guzzling, sluggish, six-cylinder engine the Falcon used for nearly 20 years"
he has`nt been in a six cylinder falcon for some years.
another "journalist" trying to make a name for himself.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tend to agree taxpayers {I"ve been working for 34 years** are getting tired of just handing over the dollars first off holden just pulls it's corperate pants down and just shi ts all over the taxpayer buy first crying poor and secondly shelling out millions of dollars to 888 to build V8 Supercar holdens.While an argument could be made that that ford did want them truth is ford could not afford them and the government should have said hang on you can't cry poor and then sign 888 for 10 million.I mean a stroke of the government pen would have saved 10 + million dollars and probably a lot more.Now ford although a bit player in the handout department has grabbed the money and now putting staff off.The reason I agree is I have written to ford on a couple of occasions suggesting they broke ground with the Territory why not look at beating the others by actually building cars that they can make money off.First one a I suggested was a tough as nails 4x4 built right here in Aus like those old Cruisers of yesteryear low on creature comforts and high on toughness.Second was a 4 cyl all wheel drive {4 cyl terry** just a shopping trolly for the Mrs.todate haven't seen anything like this.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Hmm interesting way of putting it.
I don't disagree with everything in the article though claiming the I6 is a gas guzzling 20 yr old engine is going a little far, its current iteration is a far better engine than it was 20 years ago.

Also whilst our engineering hub hasn't (from Ford) provided any technological innovations it has been a vital player in the APAC region for developing small efficient vehicles and the Ranger.

The rest well yeah I would kind of agree. As a tax payer I cannot say I am happy with the way the money has been poured into these manufacturers to produce what they have. I know people here consider them world class but until they're sold on the world market I can't agree.
Old 20-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Hmm interesting way of putting it.
I don't disagree with everything in the article though claiming the I6 is a gas guzzling 20 yr old engine is going a little far, its current iteration is a far better engine than it was 20 years ago.

Also whilst our engineering hub hasn't (from Ford) provided any technological innovations it has been a vital player in the APAC region for developing small efficient vehicles and the Ranger.

The rest well yeah I would kind of agree. As a tax payer I cannot say I am happy with the way the money has been poured into these manufacturers to produce what they have. I know people here consider them world class but until they're sold on the world market I can't agree.

Agree too....Everything in that article probably on the money execpt for the 6 cyl engine being thirsty, slugish and 20 years old. The I6 engine of the last decade has been a vastly improved unit.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the Punch... a favourite of inner-city trendies who have no idea about what the real world is like. I see them all the time on the streets of Carlton, reading The Punch on their iPad. Don't take them seriously.
Old 20-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I bet he drives a Kluger.

I reckon he's a loud mouthed moron who hasn't a clue of what he's talking about that couldn't tell a spark plug from an adjustable spanner. Probably has to call the RAC to change a flat tyre. Idiot.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
cortinagt

So those of you that agree with the article agree our local cars are inferior in quality?

I emailed The Punch with the following (it could have been better but I only had limited time)

"
Hi,

I have just read your article about the state of Ford manufacturing in Australia. Might want to get you lawyer on the line as Ford would be well within their rights to ask you pro withdraw your poorly researched (or completely off the cuff) story.

You obviously don't know the Ecoboost engine is a brand new cutting edge power plant that Ford Australia developed for it's World debut in a front engine rear wheel drive car. So why the lies?

You say Australian built cars are inferior quality to the rest of the world. When was the last time you drove a 2012 Australian built car? They are at least as good as any car of comparable price and size anywhere in the world.

So why are you writing an article about the failures of the Australian car industry? Perhaps you would be better off looking at your own industry? The dinosaur that is printed media. Online media will not be its saviour. Why because people will not pay to read the tripe you write.

He's a prediction for you. Journalists that write substandard articles with substandard research will not survive. Why? Because the Australian public is*
fed up with the half-baked ******** our journalists serve up and we refuse to buy an inferior product simply because it’s a local report.

So get your lawyer on the line because you could be asked to explain your blatant mistruths. If your wondering if Ford Australia will read your article they will because I will forward it to them.

Ford will be manufacturing in Australian until at least 2016. I don't think an unprofessional journalist will last that long. Do you?

Good luck (you will need it)"
cortinagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Hang on, inferior cars!?

Where on the planet can you buy a large sedan with all the key luxuries that puts down a 0-100 in 5 seconds and delivers 11L/100km?

5 star safety.

Can anyone give me a fact-based argument as to why my car is inferior to car X?
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
cortinagt

I wonder why the same troll journalist wasn't as condemning of poor workmanship in this article

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226338308277
cortinagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Here's a message for him from Frank Zappa himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXUCjKd13Q
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe nobody told this moron that Ford Australia actually designed the current model Mazda BT50, amongst various other global cars...

My sister just bought a Mazda 3. Sure it's nice, but it's nothing spectacular. Local interiors are (for the most part) just as good. Do you know why she didn't but a Falcon, Commodore, etc? Too expensive (twice the price on the road!), too physically big and fuel consumption.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW XRT
I tend to agree taxpayers {I"ve been working for 34 years** are getting tired of just handing over the dollars first off holden just pulls it's corperate pants down and just shi ts all over the taxpayer buy first crying poor and secondly shelling out millions of dollars to 888 to build V8 Supercar holdens.While an argument could be made that that ford did want them truth is ford could not afford them and the government should have said hang on you can't cry poor and then sign 888 for 10 million.I mean a stroke of the government pen would have saved 10 + million dollars and probably a lot more.Now ford although a bit player in the handout department has grabbed the money and now putting staff off.The reason I agree is I have written to ford on a couple of occasions suggesting they broke ground with the Territory why not look at beating the others by actually building cars that they can make money off.First one a I suggested was a tough as nails 4x4 built right here in Aus like those old Cruisers of yesteryear low on creature comforts and high on toughness.Second was a 4 cyl all wheel drive {4 cyl terry** just a shopping trolly for the Mrs.todate haven't seen anything like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

not directed personally at the above 2 posts but these comments about taxpayers money always make me laugh. workers pay tax regardless of whether ford and holden take handouts or not. every worker will still pay tax. the amount is not connected in any way to what the money gets used for. there is no way of dictating what the money gets used for. people who say that they are personally bailing out a company with their tax are funny.

what people also fail to realise is the amount of revenue these industries create for the govt. even with the bailouts, the govt is well in front.

as for the article,
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not directed personally at the above 2 posts but these comments about taxpayers money always make me laugh. workers pay tax regardless of whether ford and holden take handouts or not. every worker will still pay tax. the amount is not connected in any way to what the money gets used for. there is no way of dictating what the money gets used for. people who say that they are personally bailing out a company with their tax are funny.

Well they are bailing them out, indirectly...Because the more tax payers money that is used (or should I say wasted) to bail out poorly managed businesses means there is less tax payers money available for essential services like roads, education, health and law and order
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
pmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Simply a peanut writing about something that he knows nothing about. The part about the ecoboost engine made me laugh, most reports place it ahead of the low capacity turbo units from MB and Audi. Everyone knows Ford is struggling in Australia, however some of his arguments are laughable.
Just some North Shore kid who got spoilt by mummy and daddy while he was growing up. He probably doesnt understand bang for yout buck, let alone anything about the excellent driving dynamics of Australian cars. Let him drive around Manly his Audi A3 and ignore his biased opinion

edit here is an informed opinion
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/546...d-should-it-be
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Fair enough LM vehicles aren't doing too well, but how would our production lines be going if Ford produced Focus instead of Falcon and Toyota produced Corolla instead of Camry? Pretend for arguments sake that this wouldn't change the price of the product as it is currently, I think our plants would be working quite well.

So, really, it is unfair to compare the production numbers of a Falcon with the sales numbers of a Mazda 3.

Ford really should have kept going with Focus production locally.
Old 20-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Journalists are like real estate agents - no education required to do these jobs.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Typical trash written by a journalist at the Australian.Designed more to drive an editorial agenda and reinforce the opinions of its readership than challenge them.
Old 20-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote; cortinagt - Can anyone give me a fact-based argument as to why my car is inferior to car X? Yes because its built in Australia and not oversea's -"It wont go with the missus's louievetton handbag and my mankini" lol!

Seriously in this country the two speed economy dictates who buys what and the people who should know and can help all drive imports of some sort, then they hack on the guv of the day and say you've wrecked our Auto manufacturing industry- WTF.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc
Just some North Shore kid who got spoilt by mummy and daddy while he was growing up. He probably doesnt understand bang for yout buck, let alone anything about the excellent driving dynamics of Australian cars. Let him drive around Manly his Audi A3 and ignore his biased opinion

edit here is an informed opinion
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/546...d-should-it-be

Excellent article
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
bingoTE50
Steve

Well for the sake of the name plate, I would call the next re-incarnation of the Mondeo a Falcon, if the Falcon disappears. . We will know, but a lot of the Joe public wouldn't.
The name plate Mondeo has never really set the world on fire here anyway.
At least it keeps the Falcon plate going.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The Nation"
Used cars can't keep up with new imports
by: Sid Maher
July 19, 201212:00AM
A SLUMP in the value of used Falcons and Commodores is driving down private and fleet sales of the Australian large cars as new imported vehicles become financially more attractive.

Richard Johns, from Australian Automotive Intelligence, said while the price of Falcons and Commodores had risen from about $30,000 to nearly $40,000 during the past decade, the price of imported cars had been held relatively steady by the appreciating Australian dollar.

The result was that whereas a two or three-year-old Commodore or Falcon had an average residual value of about 70 per cent in the 1990s, this figure had fallen to about 40 per cent.

Ford Australia president and chief executive Bob Graziano announced on Tuesday that the company would cut 440 jobs from November and scale back production in Melbourne because of continuing poor sales of the Falcon.

The problems at Ford have come despite governments increasing fleet purchases of Fords in the first half of this year.

Ford sold 794 Territories in the first six months of the year to state and territory governments, compared with 329 last year; 964 Falcons (634); and 401 Falcon utes (265).

However, the Holden Commodore remained more popular, with 2580 sold in the first half of the year (3600 in the six months to June 30 last year.)

A spokeswoman for Finance Minister Penny Wong said rules on federal government car selections had been tightened to specify that they must be made in Australia unless there was no suitable alternative.

This had lifted the percentage of Australian-made cars entering the fleet to 75.97 per cent between June 1 last year and May 31 this year, compared with 62 per cent across the federal fleet.

State and territory governments outstrip federal purchases of fleet vehicles.

Opposition industry spokeswoman Sophie Mirabella criticised the lack of transparent criteria for the government's $34 million grant to Ford in January.

She accused Julia Gillard of lying over her claim when she made the announcement that 300 jobs would be created by Ford.

"Why did she not extract a guarantee for jobs when she handed over this money?" Ms Mirabella asked. "And there was no transparent criteria for this $34m being given to Ford."

Ms Mirabella said the Coalition would ask the Productivity Commission to establish criteria for any grants to car companies and set guidelines so that the industry "knows what it needs to achieve in order to be granted the privilege of taxpayers' dollars. Taxpayers will know how and when their money is going to the auto industry".

However, the Prime Minister said thousands of jobs would have been lost had the government not assisted the industry."

So with the $34000000 and the $100.000.000' Ford empties 400 employees and does what with $134.000.000?

My other, more relevant question is "what makes the criteria for a well made car the fact that it can get from 0 to 100kph in 5 seconds"? Lots of euro's can do it and some for less money than the fords and commodores in this country. Most of them simply do not get here. when you consider how much the Aus dollar has gone up in the last 10 years, IMO the prices we are being charged for new Fords and Commodores is at least 10% over what it should be. Has anybody noticed what we are being charged for "genuine" spare parts recently. Ford Blacktown quoted me $150 for a plastic radiator header tank yesterday. I can buy the same whole radiator for $120. If this was not the best country in the world, I would be thinking of moving elsewhere
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pinhead journalist needs a good ***** slap...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
falconator
Regular Yobbo

That journo just made it on the list!

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconator
That journo just made it on the list!
yea.. my pinhead list....
Old 20-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

news spreads like the weather.. oh yee gullible ones read and soak this bs up daily...
Old 20-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
SVR73
Mr Polish

rising petrol prices yeah right. Petrol is cheap. compare that to 2 litres of milk. I paid $1.12 two weeks ago for fuel and $1.21 yesterday. it's way cheaper than food

The Falcon six is not a thirsty engine if you know how to drive it economically and I'd rather drive a falcon up a hill than an NA 4 cylinder

Unfortunately the one thing he got right is Aussie's just don't want the Falcon anymore. it's become stale.

I love most model falcons as you guys do but we are a minority. I wouldn't buy a new car again or even replace what I have.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Typical trash written by a journalist at the Australian.Designed more to drive an editorial agenda and reinforce the opinions of its readership than challenge them.
The media help destroy Mitsubishi manufacturing in Australia and now they’re on Fords case in cars guide today it seemed Ford was over represented in the complains as if other makes that owners complained about could not be published to even it out.

It’s not only Ford assembly line workers that a lot of new migrants get a chance to improve their life and educate their children, but university leavers that cannot get a foot in engineering, design, metallurgy, accountancy and technology in the car industry or their suppliers. We need a manufacturing industry in Australia as well as mining, logistics and technology so why not give Ford a few tax dollars to stay manufacturing as long as they can as the dismissed workers will claim on the government anyhow if they cannot get a job.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post