Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #1591
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
good or bad ?
90-100 employees gone plus possibly another 40 contractors.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #1592
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

rio doing another lot of redundancies atm ,,,I wish they would give me one ..they have done it 4 times in the last year and still I'm here
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #1593
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...n-hill/7265616

Quote:
Jobs to go at Perilya mine at Broken Hill after company announces restructure

BY DECLAN GOOCH AND SOFIE WAINWRIGHT

Perilya is making 90 to 100 positions redundant at its Southern Operations mine in Broken Hill.

ABC NEWS: GAVIN COOTE

Up to 100 jobs will be cut from Perilya's silver, lead and zinc mine at Broken Hill in far west New South Wales.

The mining company announced a major restructure this morning, partly blaming low metal prices for the move.

The announcement is a blow for Broken Hill where the local economy is tied closely to the fortunes of both Perilya and fellow local miner CBH Resources.

"We are looking at a situation where between 90 and 100 of our employees will be made redundant," Perilya managing director Paul Arndt said.

In addition, the company said up to 40 full-time equivalent roles for contractors would also be lost from the mine.

Perilya's entire staff of 460 met this morning and were told that about 20 per cent of the workforce at Broken Hill's Southern Operations mine would lose their jobs.

Forty workers applied for voluntary redundancies, with 34 of those accepted, meaning the balance of the cuts will be made up of forced layoffs.

Employees have received letters indicating whether their employment would be continuing.

"One is indicating that their employment will be continuing and the other is an indication that your position will be made redundant," Mr Arndt said.

"With those people that have obtained that second letter, some of those will be asked to take alternative roles."

Lead and zinc prices have crashed over the past year, prompting cuts at several Australian mines.

CBH Resources earlier this year announced 116 workers would lose their jobs at the Endeavour mine in Cobar, four hours from Broken Hill.

Perilya has also said poorer-than-expected quality of ore extracted from the Southern Operations mine contributed to the need for the restructure.

The company is part-owned by Chinese firm Zhongjin Lingnan, which has had to inject money to prop up Perilya in recent months.

"We recognise that the Southern Operations have consistently found it difficult to perform to our expectations, largely because it's a very old mine and we've been asking more and more from that mine," Mr Arndt said.

Mr Arndt said output from the Southern Operations mine would be reduced to 70 per cent of current extraction.

He said the restructure would likely allow Perilya to generate cash, but was unsure whether it would result in an overall profit.

Perilya company secretary Paul Marinko told the ABC earlier this month that its operations in Broken Hill had lost around $30 million over the past year.

'It's not good for our town'
Local vice-president of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) Greg Braes said there was little the union could do to lessen the impact.

"The union can't make companies not get rid of people. That's the decision they've come up with," Mr Braes said.

"All we can do is make sure that everyone's paid as per their entitlements under the [Enterprise Bargaining Agreement] and make sure everything is done above board."

Mr Braes voiced concern about the potential impact on Broken Hill, which has a population of about 18,000.

"It's not good times and it's hard on all sides when these sorts of things happen," he said.

"I suppose it always will be the mining game but it's not good and it's not good for our town."

He warned that employees who took alternative positions at Perilya may find themselves earning less in their new roles.
Old 14-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #1594
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Been wheeling this contraption round last week, move a lotta dirt but they put the bucket on backwards!

Last edited by LyleXR8; 31-12-2018 at 03:37 PM.
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #1595
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Some positive news coming out of Broken Hill after the job cuts back in March.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-2...h-mine/7664452

Quote:
Broken Hill miner reports profit after job cuts, as work continues to reopen North Mine

ABC Broken Hill By Andrew Schmidt and Declan Gooch

Posted Wed at 10:54am

Mining company Perilya says it is now making a profit in Broken Hill, months after letting go of about 20 per cent of its workforce in far-west New South Wales.

The company, one of two large miners in Broken Hill, has also received initial approval from the State Government to commence some work at the city's long-dormant North Mine.

Perilya Broken Hill general manager Bruce Byrne said the company's return to the black in the second quarter of 2016 was partly due to significant staff cuts in March.

"We've lowered our overall operating cost, our cost per mining tonne, quite substantially," he said.

"We've also lowered our cost of metal production.

"So if you can do that, along with a little bit of relief on metal prices, it has definitely given us a benefit."

More than 100 workers at the Southern Operations mine were told earlier this year they would lose their jobs, a decision partly blamed on low metal prices.

Mr Byrne said the last time the company made a profit was probably in early 2015.

Perilya told the ABC before the redundancies were announced its operations in Broken Hill had lost about $30 million in a year.

Work to begin on North Mine this year

Most of Perilya's work in Broken Hill is remnant mining, and the poor quality of the ore extracted from the Southern Operations mine was a factor in the job cuts.

The company also owns the North Mine in Broken Hill, which was shut in 1993, but a preliminary plan to re-open it has now been approved by the State Government.

Perilya believed there was high-quality ore more than a kilometre below the surface and remnant ore further up.

"We've been able to obtain an interim mine operating plan and we've had that approved for the North Mine," Mr Byrne said.

"That allows us to do a lot of the set-up work at the North Mine and we have commenced that set-up work already."

The company needs to pump out water that has seeped into the mine before it can commence any mining operations.

It has already begun an upgrade of electrical infrastructure on the surface, and is expecting to start rehabilitation of the pit in the next four to six weeks.

"We're going to start off slow, we'll start off with one development crew, support crews and some maintenance people up there," Mr Byrne said.

"So by the end of the year we'll probably only have somewhere between 10 and 20 people working at the North Mine."

Mr Byrne said Perilya was planning to mine a small amount of ore this year for metallurgical testing.

"It really would be two to three years before we can be mining at the rates that the North is sustained by."
Old 06-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #1596
XCH00N
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering if anyone or how many work at Cobar?

Daily - BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo, Auto on 20s

Long Term Project - XB Sedan, too much to do on this one But its a 351, 4speed with a LSD 9inch (Back over home in NSW)
XCH00N is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #1597
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nope, but, damn what a difference a few months makes. Its really quite scary how quickly things can change.

We are flat out but because we have no staff, still punching out targets and client is looking to open another site next quarter (was always on the cards).

Adani starting to heat up aswell which will open the door for Gina in that area.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #1598
XCH00N
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well ive been getting interest to go back into underground coal but more for underground hard rock back in nsw

Long Term Project - XB Sedan, too much to do on this one But its a 351, 4speed with a LSD 9inch (Back over home in NSW)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #1599
Kryton

Id be interested in getting a start somewhere in the mining industry.
Im sure its been discussed many times, but how do you actually get your foot in the door?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #1600
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Im sure its been discussed many times, but how do you actually get your foot in the door?
From what I have seen you have to know someone.

There have been a few people at our site getting a start lately with no mine experience.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #1601
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
From what I have seen you have to know someone.

There have been a few people at our site getting a start lately with no mine experience.
Thats the problem.
I dont have family in the mines, nor do i know people either.
Only ever got jobs on my own merits but cant even get a look in it seems unless your brother. mother, father etc already works in the mines
Old 06-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #1602
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Some skills always cross industries.Apply like hell, read the job app properly.

I have NFI how some people who are in the industry got to where they are. Many many sites now also are only hiring through labour hire. May change in a year or so but its tough getting in.

Whats your background? Find a site in the middle of no where and get some runs on the board, then its easy.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #1603
XCH00N
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
What type of work have you done?

Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #1604
Kryton

Spent the last 10 years in a Chemical Extraction plant manufacturing various Pharmaceuticals (Poppy based) and Dairy processing before that.
Cert IV Process Plant Technology.
Heavy Rigid Truck license
Forklift.
Willing to learn, train, license etc.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #1605
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sounds like the CHPP would be a good start, contact Sedgmens.

Warehouse/stores isnt much fun but also a foot in.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #1606
perthfggsute

been working fifo for 21 yrs,but man im struggling now,just finished 6 months contract at wiluna,waiting to go to the tanami desert job,with same mob,if anyone here is trying to get into the mines,easiest way is through the labour hire doing shut downs,hey yeah its crap,but its yr best way in IF you dont have someone on the inside,to show how bad its got over here,been doing this for 21 yrs here and some yrs in nz,im down to doing shut downs and i hate them but better than nothing,when i got here in aus i was picked up in 4 days,BUT i had a trade,boilermaker,so that made it alot easier to get in,i always got my jobs off my own back,i did not ring old bosses saying hey im looking,i still wont do that even though i have good references off all previous bosses.all i can suggest is put yr name with all labour hire places,check on seek every day 3 times preferably,if you can afford it do some courses,the following being important...working at heights...confined space...white card/blue card...anything else is a bonus of course.
for myself i think my age is working against me,which is not fair as i know what im doing etc im very aware of the safety based atmosphere,but i realise its just the way some HR people are,i have worked on 38 different mine and construction sites,so i know what im doing inside out,ok hope this helps ,hope this helps someone,but right now in W.A at least it is pretty grim,if im struggling with my experience,well it could be tough to break in,but it is not impossible,Kryton what state are you in,as if your in W.A if i do get the tanami job i will get you to send me your resume, i will see if i can get you a look in,ok mate.they are a company that i noticed gave people a start that were green as,but it got them started.ok ford lovers back to having a few before dinner.

Tuned by Monsta Torque
395.2 KW
610 NM
3.07 diff ratio (changed from original 3.73)
6 spot brembo's on the front
3 inch manta cat back exhaust with X piece
6 speed manual
k & n air filter
rear calipers painted red
debadged stripes etc removed
perthfggsute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #1607
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthbfxr8 View Post
been working fifo for 21 yrs,but man im struggling now,just finished 6 months contract at wiluna,waiting to go to the tanami desert job,with same mob,if anyone here is trying to get into the mines,easiest way is through the labour hire doing shut downs,hey yeah its crap,but its yr best way in IF you dont have someone on the inside,to show how bad its got over here,been doing this for 21 yrs here and some yrs in nz,im down to doing shut downs and i hate them but better than nothing,when i got here in aus i was picked up in 4 days,BUT i had a trade,boilermaker,so that made it alot easier to get in,i always got my jobs off my own back,i did not ring old bosses saying hey im looking,i still wont do that even though i have good references off all previous bosses.all i can suggest is put yr name with all labour hire places,check on seek every day 3 times preferably,if you can afford it do some courses,the following being important...working at heights...confined space...white card/blue card...anything else is a bonus of course.
for myself i think my age is working against me,which is not fair as i know what im doing etc im very aware of the safety based atmosphere,but i realise its just the way some HR people are,i have worked on 38 different mine and construction sites,so i know what im doing inside out,ok hope this helps ,hope this helps someone,but right now in W.A at least it is pretty grim,if im struggling with my experience,well it could be tough to break in,but it is not impossible,Kryton what state are you in,as if your in W.A if i do get the tanami job i will get you to send me your resume, i will see if i can get you a look in,ok mate.they are a company that i noticed gave people a start that were green as,but it got them started.ok ford lovers back to having a few before dinner.
Hey mate, appreciate the offer to help get me a foot in the door - i really do.
Im the same, only ever got jobs off my own back and on my own merits but this just seems to be one of those industries that it doesnt seem to matter.
Im not in WA, im in Vic and i know thats a negative just to start with.
Probably in the same boat age wise as well - late 30s, which also doesnt help much either
Old 14-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #1608
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trump want's to build their infrastructure.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #1609
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Thread mine.

Everything is ramping up again in Queensland again right now

What's everyone up to?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #1610
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Thread mine.

Everything is ramping up again in Queensland again right now

What's everyone up to?
Im semi retired now and have a local paper run. Flipping newspapers out the window at 4am is how i roll.

You going mining again??
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #1611
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m still in the same pit. 7 yrs now. Can’t say things have ever changed much for us, business as usual even tho you read a lot of things saying otherwise

69 Camaro, ls1, t56 htv2300 slowly being built

Build thread - http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=12534
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #1612
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

One of my sons-in-law owns a company that supplies services to mines.

Been quieter (after the boom) but kept afloat with what work they've had plus as they own all their equipt they could just park it up.

He recently tendered for a large contract with another 2 in the pipeline. If successful he'll have all his gear employed so basically back to where it was a few years ago.

Definitely on the up...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #1613
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Still working at KGP in Karratha.

Think another mini boom is not far away.
Old 20-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #1614
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still at Tanami, been almost 9 years now. No slowing down going on there. Just finished an expansion project and 2 new gas power stations. Now expansion project 2 is ramping up.

Current Rides
2014 FGX XR8 - Kinetic, auto.
Mods: Manta Twin 3" S/S Cat Back - Loud Version, DPE High Flow Cats, KPM Streetfighter Stage 2 Intercooler, KPM Twin Air Filter, Herrod High Flow Fuel Pump, JLT/Herrod Oil Catch Can.
Tuned by Monsta Torque to 403rwkw.
2013 Ranger XL - White.

Previous Rides
2005 BA MK 2 XR8 - Winter White, auto, custom twin 2 1/2" s/s exhaust, pacemaker extractors.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #1615
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Im semi retired now and have a local paper run. Flipping newspapers out the window at 4am is how i roll.

You going mining again??
You make a lot of coin for not a lot of effort flipping newspapers at 4am...

Good on ya for having a go and not just sitting at home on welfare

It's a positive affirmation that nothing is beneath you when it comes to putting food on the table, Beer in the fridge or Toasters in the garden, i'm extremely proud of you

I have been back in mining for a while now thanks for asking, i just don't post much on social media about my personal life anymore.

21 days away and suddenly the keyboard becomes a very thankful boredom breaker...

I gotta admit i wouldn't know what i know now about fixing my own Car's if it wasn't for Russell's Tech Resources...

Shame i needed a NEW log-in to access them tho'
Old 22-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #1616
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its been very steady, no one wants to admit flat out crazy, for atleast 10 months now.

I know staff are being worked pretty hard, activity level has increased but everyone is seems to scared to hire.

Owners seem to be advertising alot though.

Im still in the Blackwater region but Im slowly making plans to move on, looking to be home more with the kids.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #1617
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

2 major shuts this year for me.

A month of night shift begins on the 26th.

Old 16-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #1618
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Wait Awhile is ramping up again in the Pilbara
Old 16-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #1619
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Roxby is busy as hell at the moment. We cant get enough people.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #1620
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Busy in QLD too, but everyone is keeping a lid on it.

Question, many people done the switch from contractor to owner? Staff role.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post: