Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

Just read this, thought i would post the news report on behalf of other AFF members based in NSW, the penalty is pretty severe if caught breaking the new road rule -

SBS News: Motorists risk $448 fine over new NSW road rule.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/motorist...-nsw-road-rule

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
cro142

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

I am concerned about the effect of this on freeways etc where it could cause secondary accidents.
I suppose we will see how it goes.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
flightstrike

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
I am concerned about the effect of this on freeways etc where it could cause secondary accidents.
I suppose we will see how it goes.
We’ve had this rule in WA for a little while now... people seem to either ignore it, or everyone slows down to 40...

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A motorcyclist was killed as a result of a similar rule in Victoria.
Police Motorcycle Patrol intercepted car between Middleborough Rd and Blackburn Rd off ramp Eastern Freeway, civilian Motorcyclist braked to slow down to 40 Km/h truck following swerved around civilian Motorcyclist almost rolled it according to Police Officer.
Second truck following didn't react in time, collided with Motorcyclist and Motorcyclist died.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 AM   #5
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Rules-Pena...gency-Vehicles

It is absolutely crazy to suddenly slow a freeway to 40 km/hr, just because the police feels like pulling over a motorist for example for a speeding offence, where they have stopped in the emergency lane, and ALL lanes suddenly have a 40 km/hr limit, and should move lane.

In WA the SLOMO also refers to RAC-assistance vehicles, so as soon as RAC turns up to assist a broken down motorist in the emergency side lane, (outside the driving lanes) then the traffic in ALL lanes shall suddenly drop speed to 40.

I feel like upgrading to 6-pot brembos, install front & rear dashcam, and follow this law as written down. I wonder how long it will be until my rear bumper needs replacing?
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Sioso
irregular member

So the bike rider travelling at 110km/h with a full laden truck behind him is required to jump on the brakes and bring it down to 40km/h or cop 3 demerit points and a fine of $448?
I hope the truckie is paying attention!!!

Another great safety initiative by these tax funded morons...
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
sierra63
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Rules-Pena...gency-Vehicles

I feel like upgrading to 6-pot brembos, install front & rear dashcam, and follow this law as written down. I wonder how long it will be until my rear bumper needs replacing?
I am feeling fortune that I have both these items right now. I can imagine the price of bumpers for many vehicles going to short supply, and a sharp rise in prices....
Old 02-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you cant bleed off 70 odd km in a safe manner I would be concerned whether you should even have a licence.

How about looking at it from Police/Fire/Ambo's perspective, they have to work in that environment with retarded rubber necking motorists flying past at 100km/h.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
If you cant bleed off 70 odd km in a safe manner I would be concerned whether you should even have a licence.

How about looking at it from Police/Fire/Ambo's perspective, they have to work in that environment with retarded rubber necking motorists flying past at 100km/h.
agreed.

how dare we try to care about those who are trying to do their job, with their focus on the person/people they are dealing with rather than the passing traffic.

Mind you, just like the plastic bag ban, its just further proof that many people in the eastern states can't see past their own borders. These laws have been in place for some time now in other states and after a little while, all the 'sky is falling' people get sick of complaining and life goes on.

if people can't drive in such a way that they can brake in time for unforeseen hazards that arise, perhaps time to hand in your licence. its not the law makers fault that people like to travel at high speed within touching distance of the car in front. driver behaviour and attitude is the issue, not the new laws.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most people slow down anyway to have a look . What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
yes, lets wait for a fatality before making a change
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
yes, lets wait for a fatality before making a change

How do we know this won't cause more fatalities? People braking abruptly causing rear enders, we all know most drivers are idiots so this may cause more problems than it addresses. Im all for emergency workers safety myself but I've seen my fair share of stupid laws by so called experts, to not blindly accept what they claim.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
How do we know this won't cause more fatalities? People braking abruptly causing rear enders, we all know most drivers are idiots so this may cause more problems than it addresses. Im all for emergency workers safety myself but I've seen my fair share of stupid laws by so called experts, to not blindly accept what they claim.

Any accidents are caused by poor driving rather than legislation.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Any accidents are caused by poor driving rather than legislation.

Exactly and unfortunately you have to take that into account when making new laws. For example its against the law to tailgate but how many do it? How many get busted for it? If a heap of people are doing it then they may need to fix that problem as well before asking people to rapidly slow down on a major highway hence possibly causing an accident.

Just my opinion, I hope it works for the sake of everybody involved especially the police, ambo's, ect
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #15
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
A police officer was killed on the Hume Highway near Benalla a few years ago, Rennie Page was his name. One death is one too many, one near miss is just a millimeter away from being a death - what is your rush? Can't afford to loose 30 seconds of your trip? Put yourself in their place. I have worked as a volunteer emergency service responder and I can tell you it ain't fun out there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...ticket/1558384

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...by-car/1558504
Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
A police officer was killed on the Hume Highway near Benalla a few years ago, Rennie Page was his name. One death is one too many, one near miss is just a millimeter away from being a death - what is your rush? Can't afford to loose 30 seconds of your trip? Put yourself in their place. I have worked as a volunteer emergency service responder and I can tell you it ain't fun out there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...ticket/1558384

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...by-car/1558504
No one cares about tow truck drivers or NRMA or anyone assisting with broken down cars?
A tow truck driver and civilian were killed few years ago on a NSW highway, so why doesn't the law apply to them as well? Do their lives not matter because the colour of their vehicle lights is wrong?
I guess police won't be around to issues fines at broken down cars so why make a road law that won't make revenue.

I have no issue slowing for actual incidents. I do that already without any law telling me I have to. Sometimes I slow to 20, sometimes 60, sometimes 40. It's pretty easy to drive to the conditions. A police traffic stop is not set in stone. If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
It has already been reported that highway patrol have been sitting with lights flashing and not another vehicle or incident in sight. It's probably the same HP officer that sits on the side of the road with his right wheels sitting on the line between the shoulder and left lane on the highway, then fines people for failing to keep left when they move into the right lane to give him some breathing space.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many kents in here would love random dudes flying past them in their workplace cranking 60, 80, 100...?
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
how many kents in here would love random dudes flying past them in their workplace cranking 60, 80, 100...?
How many would whinge if a paramedic refused to try to save a family member or friend etc, until the area was 'safe'??

Or a firey refusing to work until the area was safe?

It's really not that difficult to slow down. If you can't stop within your line of sight perhaps you aren't driving to the conditions.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #19
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Anyone that jumps on the forklift at work seems to take it as a personal challenge to do just that.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #20
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drag strip marshalls?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #21
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
there is a discussion around extending it to orange flashing lights as well, I think W.A. may have already gone there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
No one cares about tow truck drivers or NRMA or anyone assisting with broken down cars?
A tow truck driver and civilian were killed few years ago on a NSW highway, so why doesn't the law apply to them as well? Do their lives not matter because the colour of their vehicle lights is wrong?
I guess police won't be around to issues fines at broken down cars so why make a road law that won't make revenue.

I have no issue slowing for actual incidents. I do that already without any law telling me I have to. Sometimes I slow to 20, sometimes 60, sometimes 40. It's pretty easy to drive to the conditions. A police traffic stop is not set in stone. If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
this post was above yours, I am not sure if you saw it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
It has already been reported that highway patrol have been sitting with lights flashing and not another vehicle or incident in sight. It's probably the same HP officer that sits on the side of the road with his right wheels sitting on the line between the shoulder and left lane on the highway, then fines people for failing to keep left when they move into the right lane to give him some breathing space.
it is all a big ploy to get your money - really????? Am I misreading this part of your post?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
this post was above yours, I am not sure if you saw it

it is all a big ploy to get your money - really????? Am I misreading this part of your post?

No, the intentions are good. Emergency service people and people assisting with broken down vehicles should be safe. No one is arguing that.

Problem is some certain police cannot be trusted and will abuse this to get their 5 fines an hour.
That might not be an official quota, but I have heard off a HP officer that his supervisor brings people in who don't write enough tickets and says they should be writing 5 an hour.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #23
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most people slow down anyway to have a look . What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
Yes...thank goodness. But I've come close to being cleaned up while attending to a patient at an RTC...close to you by the way.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #24
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On multi lane motorways,with a wide grass dividing strip, do vehicles travelling on the unobstructed side of the road also have to slow down ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
On multi lane motorways,with a wide grass dividing strip, do vehicles travelling on the unobstructed side of the road also have to slow down ??
Only applies to the side the emergency vehicle is on with a divided road. ie freeway.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At night when there is planned lane closures, (with hazard trucks, bollards etc.) then the speed limit on the freeway is usually reduced to 60 km/h.

I wonder if the police can then give out the fine and demerits for going faster than the new SLOWMO 40-limit, (when the road workers advertise 60, but the new law describes 40 when there are hazard vehicles and workers on the road).
I saw the road works on the freeway in Perth have 60-signs the other night, with flashing yellow lights and people in the lanes putting up bollards etc.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
At night when there is planned lane closures, (with hazard trucks, bollards etc.) then the speed limit on the freeway is usually reduced to 60 km/h.

I wonder if the police can then give out the fine and demerits for going faster than the new SLOWMO 40-limit, (when the road workers advertise 60, but the new law describes 40 when there are hazard vehicles and workers on the road).
I saw the road works on the freeway in Perth have 60-signs the other night, with flashing yellow lights and people in the lanes putting up bollards etc.
You have to read the rule, it only applies to red and blue flashing lights ie emergency vehicles not road works or tow trucks.
There is a little clause, however here in Victoria which also covers Vicroad inspector vehicles with purple flashing lights.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #28
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

If its truly about safety fair enough but i can see a legal minefield coming up through confusion, implementation of the zones & blind spots.

Mobile radar operators put signs up dont they so why cant the emergency workers & police do it too perhaps in conjunction with the flashing lights, takes all the doubt away then.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #29
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

They introduced slowmo in perth over a double demerit long weekend, people were crapping themselves, all went back to normal within a month though, no one slows down.

I don't think much thought was put into the whole scheme, if I want to slow traffic in a work zone I need to submit a plan and then stick to the rules pre determined by a traffic engineer, 3 advanced warnings at set distances in relation to the speed limit and so on. This is to slow traffic in a controlled manner not law of the jungle, whoever has the best brakes wins.

Then theres incidents like the one I saw early in the laws introduction. Tow truck driver pulls over, puts his flashing lights on, as you do and almost drummed up some work as everyone bricked it and layed on the anchors... all while he's having a chat on his phone, calling his tow'y mates I presume.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #30
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
They introduced slowmo in perth over a double demerit long weekend, people were crapping themselves, all went back to normal within a month though, no one slows down.

I don't think much thought was put into the whole scheme, if I want to slow traffic in a work zone I need to submit a plan and then stick to the rules pre determined by a traffic engineer, 3 advanced warnings at set distances in relation to the speed limit and so on. This is to slow traffic in a controlled manner not law of the jungle, whoever has the best brakes wins.

Then theres incidents like the one I saw early in the laws introduction. Tow truck driver pulls over, puts his flashing lights on, as you do and almost drummed up some work as everyone bricked it and layed on the anchors... all while he's having a chat on his phone, calling his tow'y mates I presume.
Rally Sport's comments are well reflected.
(In WA we have to apply SLOWMO also for yellow lights, including RAC roadside assistance on the road shoulder, as well as the tow truck mentioned.)

Another relevant comment above was about the reaction time. You could almost have passed the emergency vehicle before having enough seconds to safely slow down. In addition I have experienced that not everyone are aware of SLOWMO (or respect SLOWMO), and when slowing down (in a safe rate) I found that some annoyed drivers behind you will shift lane in order to speed up again.

I also wonder how police will enforce this new law, will they put out 'simulated' emergencies, and stand there with laser guns or deploy the new LIDAR space capsule, in order to catch anyone going above 40?

Cheers,