Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #211
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Tax the rich?

Just stick a 10% consumption tax on all on-line sales - especially for offshore sales (attach it to the payment method) and generate plenty of income/tax for the economy. Consumers will still save, but will need to factor in the amount when buying/bidding/whatever, a bit like postage, and Sellers won't feel a thing and the government gets the benefit of a tax they are currently missing out on.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 06-05-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #212
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise View Post
Off topic.
Yep, CCR is pretty good and that song is legendary. Just don’t confuse it with PBR, as in “keep your hands off my PBR” lol.

Back on topic.
I had to google it, I'd could see you driving your truck to that.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #213
zilo
BANNED

Kevin Rudd gave handouts of 900 bucks....

Joe Hockey wants a levy to pay back the 900 bucks...

The people voted Kevin out and voted Joe in...

Hello....the people got the government they voted for.

You work hard like a good little proletariat employee and whine about the rorts that companies have?

Nobody cares, this is a private enterprise economy, employees are expendible...

Don't like it? Start your own company and get the perks too....
Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #214
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Have we, really, as a society?
I read an article the other day, it claimed that the average family still has one bread winner and a stay at home mum...stay at home mum.
No, the stigma still exists.

@ BigDamo, I agree with your thoughts completely on childcare centres raising your children.
Don't get me wrong, there is a place for them as all children should get interaction early, but having one carer allocated to half a dozen kids is less than ideal.
As a stay at home father of one 2 year old I can not fathom how one person can provide the daily care and attention that a 2 year old needs when you have to share yourself amongst half a dozen or more.

I had an argument with a woman at centrelink over sending my daughter off to day care. She insisted that it is an important part of a child's development.
I mentioned my thoughts above to which she replied that she had been a cared for child and had done her no harm.

I then told her that my eldest son is 15, achieves B averages at school, was SRC all through his primary school years and has just finished his first 12 months of work as well as beginning Cert3 in retail and being offered an assistant managers role.
My eldest daughter is 13, she graduated primary school as Dux and was also SRC throughout her time there. She has been offered a job with my son when she turns 14 in June. She is also an under 18 South Australian representative in her chosen sport.
My youngest son is 9 and has been awarded SRC every year he has been at school.

None of them went to full time day care, all of them went 1 or 2 days a week and the wife had them the rest of the time.

The conversation ended there.

I take my 2 year old to Kindergym and the local aquatics centre once a week and we both enjoy the time together.
I even toilet trained her last week, it took 2 days with the occasional ongoing accident.

Someone mentioned their wife gaining employment in childcare which is a great idea as it kills two birds with one stone, but I couldn't see myself playing Arnie Schwarzenegger's role.
Im looking to up skill and have been investigating growing industries to find a direction I can take with study.
Having been a labourer/driver all my life I am looking at making a complete change.
I wouldn't mind working in health care of some form.
That was me Bent 8, she was already working in child care, then when we had kids she went into job share and only took our kids 2 days a week. Which was enough to build their social skills and how to interact with other kids. The rest of the time they were with mum or myself or both. Now they are just starting school my missus has got he foot in the door, looking at doing teachers aid there. And her background in child care is a major advantage.

My last job I was on 83 000 a year, now with this new budget I really don't want to earn that again. I'd rather earn under the 70 000 mark as you get better child endowment payments and pay less tax. Don't have to worry about the medicare levy either, so we'll probably be better off. Because at the moment our private healthcare's $157 a fortnight. I worked it out the other day for the amount we have used it. Over the last 6 years we'd be better of putting that money away and pay full price for our medical bills.

Plus there's so much other bonus the government gives you for not being in that high tax bracket, like school kids bonus etc. So unless your up the top end of that bracket, it's not worth being in that bracket if you only make it by a few grand.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #215
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Unless you are in that position haivng to use a child care centre, you are talking about something that you do not understand.

In a perfect world where all things are equal it might be great that 1 can be at home while the other is a full time mum (Dad or whatever) but some need to to keep their heads above water and a roof over the family with food to go around and find that is the only way to do it.

We used them, had to at that stage. My wife is also a teacher and now being a kinder teacher knows from day 1 the kids that have come straight from home and those who have been to a centre.

There is more to being good parents than just being home for them 24/7. Seen both and no way can someone make such a blanket and what I think, a naive and biased statement.

Move from home, have a kid, buy a house ... etc, and then come back and talk about it. Some can do it quite well, some cant.
I might not have kids but I was that little kid in the 1990s.

When I was growing up in the 1990s there were times where my old man could barely afford to put fuel in his crappy XE Falcon (and later an even worse EA Falcon on LPG) and food on the table as he was the only one working as Mum was looking after me and my sister at home, Mum was even making our clothes at one stage.

We didn't really go out much, as we couldn't afford to and we never went on "holidays" up until 2011 was our first family holiday, in my life time I'd only been across the border into NSW once, Phillip Island on a school camp in 2008 and then the first time ever on a holiday in 2011 on a cruise with my parents (Their last holiday was their Honeymoon in the early 1980s).

Dad still managed to get us into a new house in 1994 in the Macedon Ranges and we're still there, they really struggled but we survived and we got through it all on one wage, the old man being the bread winner.

It is possible to bring up a family on a single wage these days and some people here are doing it, my parents did.

I wouldn't change anything if I could go back in time and effect the outcome of how it turned out, I might not have been on holidays every year across the country, we only had 1 car up until 1999 until Mum got hers but it made us the people we are today and I have a really good relationship with both of my parents.

I don't plan on having kids because I don't really want to make those sacrifices to be honest and I wouldn't be a good parent.

Also when you're on Newstart, out of a job, plenty of people are willing to kick you when you're down but they don't realise the barriers faced by unemployed people to get back into any kind of work in 2014, its not like the 1970s where you could walk out of one place then into the next and start the next day. Then I'm sure the others here can tell you the issues with the system, theres people who want the work but can't get it, then theres the ones who don't want the work but because they're long term unemployed they get the training and benefits, the others just get a piece of paper to sign and told to come to these meetings to sign more papers to still get no help or your payments will get cut.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #216
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I just like the way we have 8 pages of people panicking about Politicians on a propaganda wagon.

Previous Govt's of both sides of politics have done this before.

Shortly before a budget they say they're going to increase tax say, 50%.
Then when the tax is only increased 25% the punters think they've had a win.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #217
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
IMO education and healthcare should be free.
We pay the government to run the country the way we feel fit, with OUR money.

Why should someone that can't afford it not be able to access the best healthcare, or education? (Fred Hollows comes to mind)
*Obviously only necessary healthcare, no boob jobs.
Not free, but close to it. You don't want people going down to the ER for a sore finger (yes that kind of thing happens a lot in America). So you need to have some fee to make people think twice about the necessity of the treatment. Probably happens more in America than Australia, because under EMTALA, the ER has to treat no matter what and America tends to have the sort of people that takes advantage of the system. The system could also be more affordable by using the basic economic principles of supply and demand. Increase the supply of physicians, nurses, hospitals, educators, universities, and the market price will be much lower. Then, even if it is subsidized after that, taxpayers get more for their money.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #218
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Free is not Free!

Free medical is not free
Free education is not free
Free solar power is not free
Free housing is not free
Free money (the dole, pension, family benefits) is not free
Free work (working as a public servant) is not free
Free childcare is not free
Free disability care is not free
Free legal aid is not free

the list goes on and on....

I get the impression people enjoy having amongst the highest tax rates in the world, having local business close their doors and engineering a not so bright future for our kids, because that's what "free" means.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #219
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Free is not Free!

Free medical is not free
Free housing is not free

I get the impression people enjoy having amongst the highest tax rates in the world, having local business close their doors and engineering a not so bright future for our kids, because that's what "free" means.
Very true! Great post! We ALL pay for it one way or another. Whether it's lost or lower employment/income opportunities, higher cost of living (taxes, fuel, food prices, products, and services), higher cost of running a business, and those costs being passed on to we, the consumers. The more greedy we get with entitlements, the more we screw ourselves.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #220
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Well after reading the last 8 pages it turns out i might be rich , but if that was the case then there must be some seriously poor ******* around....

That's not a swipe at the genuinely poor either, but aimed squarely at those that are to lazy to put in the hard yards to make life better for themselves and those that rely on them, yet demand those that have pay more so it can be distributed to them!!......the era of entitlement for sure!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #221
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that even former treasurer Peter Costello doesn't agree with the proposed 'debt tax'

I suspect that fact will be ignored by Liberals though now despite them touting his as 'worlds best' prior to his shafting by his party's own leader.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #222
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

I get the impression people enjoy having amongst the highest tax rates in the world,
FACT CHECK PLEASE!

What Tax rate are you refering to?

http://comparativetaxation.treasury....ve_Summary.asp
Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #223
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
FACT CHECK PLEASE!

If you look at the figures based purely on GDP we do look low as our GP is higher than a lot of countries. Australia does tend to punch above its weight in Gross Domestic Product given the population base.

If you look at the "Raw" data which is in chart 3, we are in the top 50% percentile for taxation.

Also, if you look at the data for Sweden, which someone said in a previous post as to a country we should look at, their Value Added Tax another form of GST is 25%, a lot more than our 10% that everyone cried about when it was brought in.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #224
BHDOGS
Banned

Debt tax on 80,000 income earners anddddddd it's gone unless u earn 150,000 a year
Old 07-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #225
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
FACT CHECK PLEASE!

Ask the people on the highest marginal tax rates + Medicare levy + disability levy + this and that levy. Those treasury figures are a blessing, those charts justify treasury's addenda to increase taxes. Having treasury investigate tax and coming out with we're a low tax country, it is like asking a drug addict if he'd like more drugs.

Looks around, our fundamentals are screwed and our high tax regime is partly at fault. I know this is water under the bridge but if those billions spent on pink batts and BER had instead been passed through as % tax rate cuts, I think we'd all be better off, the economy more productive and in a lot less in debt.

Last edited by cheap; 07-05-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #226
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about have the dole as a no interest loan that you have to pay back eventually or you end up in jail?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 07-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #227
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
How about have the dole as a no interest loan that you have to pay back eventually or you end up in jail?
I'll have $40,000,000 in advance please.

AFF Barwon Prison club
Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #228
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paid in monthly installments, first twelve months grace then start thinking about paying it back or starting to bulk up.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #229
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Umm, I believe that there are a LOT of people who are on the dole for life (along with their kids)
Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #230
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly because there is no repercussions for a life of stealing off tax payers.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #231
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Free is not Free!

Free medical is not free
Free housing is not free

finally . i've been looking for a time when i will agree with one of your posts . ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE REALISED , THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE RIDE . and our income tax has been paying for these things for decades . finally , WE'RE on the same page CHEAP ,
so like me , you agree that the things we pay for with taxes , should stay
Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #232
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Kevin Rudd gave handouts of 900 bucks....

Joe Hockey wants a levy to pay back the 900 bucks...

The people voted Kevin out and voted Joe in...

Hello....the people got the government they voted for.

You work hard like a good little proletariat employee and whine about the rorts that companies have?

Nobody cares, this is a private enterprise economy, employees are expendible...

Don't like it? Start your own company and get the perks too....
cool . thanks for the idea . I MIGHT BUY ALL THE HOSPITALS , and if you dont like my services , you can by them of me .
. maybe i might buy all the roads instead , and if you dont like the tolls i charge , you can buy all the roads off me .
or maybe i might buy the electricity supply , and if you think i'm too costly supplying you electricity , you can buy an electrical supply company too . i think all 22 000 000 of us should do this .
Old 07-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #233
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot to include in my list of savings: absolutely no govt funding of non govt. (for cheap that includes religious) schools
Old 07-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #234
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Ask the people on the highest marginal tax rates + Medicare levy + disability levy + this and that levy. Those treasury figures are a blessing, those charts justify treasury's addenda to increase taxes. Having treasury investigate tax and coming out with we're a low tax country, it is like asking a drug addict if he'd like more drugs.

Looks around, our fundamentals are screwed and our high tax regime is partly at fault. I know this is water under the bridge but if those billions spent on pink batts and BER had instead been passed through as % tax rate cuts, I think we'd all be better off, the economy more productive and in a lot less in debt.
You Sir are a legend!

Many on this Forum would buckle when a post they made was shown to be a rectal pluck!

Not you, no no.

It's a conspiracy by treasury
Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #235
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Stop listening to talkback radio and the angry, flawed and politically biased rubbish they spew out. The BER was the first decent money spent on govt schools in years. Plus it was audited and yes costs were above usual but not unreasonable considering the boost it also gave to the economy and jobs
The only problem with it was some was spent on businesses: non govt schools. But that's the power religions and private schools have over both sides of politics
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #236
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Keep the compliments coming, but ease off on the backhanded theme
Old 07-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #237
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
You Sir are a legend!

Many on this Forum would buckle when a post they made was shown to be a rectal pluck!

Not you, no no.

It's a conspiracy by treasury
You don't actually expect treasury to tell the truth do you ?

This is the same department which backed up Swan's +200 "there will be a surplus", this is the same department with Ken Henry and his smoke and mirrors tax plan.

The other sides point of view:

https://www.taxpayers.org.au/who-we-are/

Last edited by cheap; 07-05-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #238
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post

If you look at the "Raw" data which is in chart 3, we are in the top 50% percentile for taxation.

what are you looking at? chart 3 looks at mix of direct and indirect tax as a proportion of total tax and bears no information on total tax rates.

I read most charts and Australia is in the middle except on tax on ordinary bank accounts and capital gains on shares and direct company tax. the rest is average or below average.

JP

Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #239
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't actually expect treasury to tell the truth do you ?

The other sides point of view:
Yes I do expect they tell the truth, weather they do we will never know.

Secretary to the Treasury Ken Henry

'Treasury conducts its analysis without government interference. It's up to the government of the day to decide whether to accept that analysis or whether to reject that analysis'

They have nothing to gain from their analysis yet the lobby group you offer as an alternative does have something to gain from their stance and action.

I have a policy not to trust those with more to gain than me.

JP
Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #240
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Treasury have nothing to gain? Nothing at all, let me think that through...
Closed Thread