Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Pik0

Default Removing the battery

Hi Guys, i know this sounds like a really basic question, but how do i remove the battery from the car?
Theres some wierd plactic thing surounding it and theres no ropes on it to help pull it out (unlike every other battery ive used), and does anyone know if an optima yellow 52 compact battery fit in there easily..
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the battery shield is just a cover/bucket to give it alittle air and stop the battery corroding the steele tray, thats' why it lives in the plastic

Pull the plastic thing out and the battery will come with.
When you have it out tip it over alittle to get the battery out of the cover

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik0
Hi Guys, i know this sounds like a really basic question, but how do i remove the battery from the car?
Theres some wierd plactic thing surounding it and theres no ropes on it to help pull it out (unlike every other battery ive used), and does anyone know if an optima yellow 52 compact battery fit in there easily..

Can't say about the optima fitting but the plastic shouldn't pull out. It has a plastic screw holding it in place! If you pull out the whole thing, you'll break it.

Undo the leads and use two pairs of pliers or multigrips to grab the terminals and lift the battery out. I only needed one, but 2 would have made it much easier!

I should know, I changed my battery this very morning!

Hope the info helps.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Pik0

Thanks mate, im looking at getting the compact optima battery, it looks like it should fit but i wouldnt mind getting my battery out and seeing if it is the same size..
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

I had a yellow top (D34???) under my bonnet for a bit before i put it in me boot.

I didnt have it in the plastic box thought, and it was a slight but shorter then the standard battery, but id say if ya cut around the top of that battery box so the optima could fit then it would probably be near on perfict fit.
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
Steve_T

If ya wanna make life easy, ABW (and others) make a battery removal/lifting tool which is only less than $10 from memory. It's just a black plastic strap which you use as a handle and on either end has rings/jaws which slip over each battery terminal and grip 'em when you lift it up.

If you get the model no. off your battery and go to exide/gnb website you can look up the dimensions for it then compare to the specs for the battery you want from the optima site.

One note on the plastic box - if you cut/modify it too much or cut the top off to fit a bigger battery then you'll loose the 'air jacket' that it provides usually around the battery - this is a significant thing for keeping the battery cool or insulated from high engine bay temps - high temp. is one of the quickest things to kill batteries (although AGM should be less affected by heat to some degree).
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Just thought i should let you guys no that apparently optima are now making a battery that fits stright into a falcon....

Heres the link: http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/for...ad.php?t=54847
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #8
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've measured and according to Optima the D34, is slightly bigger, so it wouldnt fit in the plastic cover.

But great news about the D75
Old 13-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

i had same trouble getting mine out. i was to lazy to buy a battery removal tool, just got two ring spanners just bigger then the terminals, slipped em over and lift. The spaners will grab the terminals tight as you lift and lift it out. Works the same as the battery removal tool.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Off topic a bit, how much of a drama is it relocating a battery to the boot ?

How do you keep it in place in the boot ? Does the fact that having a longer set of wiring to the back of the car make a different to the charge or is that all made up ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Well it depends how flash you want it to be...

The putting the battery in ya boot bit is not hard nor is running the wires, its just the mounting of the battery. eg where you want to put it and if you want to put it in a box or whatever!
Old 17-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Do you have any pictures of your boot setup?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

i dont, but i could probaly do some when i pull it apart again soon...

I'll post some when i do so!