Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Katoomba

Default 15000Km Service

Picking my car up later after its 15000 service and thought it would be interesting to hear other's experience(s). I will post mine later on.

Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Katoomba

That was painless except for paying the bill!

They have had to order the little plastic part that holds the string of the boot cover onto the hatch lid frame. The flapping passenger side carpet in the footwell was fixed and the rear mudflap which fell off was replaced. The hatch lid water into boot problem will be forwarded onto Ford.

Back to the bill: $271 for 1 hour 10 mins plus consumerables seems a bit steep to me for what is only an oil change (I've always had my doubts about the checked this and that ...).

Do they really need to charge $6.50 for degreaser, $9.50 for engine oil flush and $9.50 for fuel cleaner? I wonder what Shop Supplies $16.77 was for?

The most interesting charge is one I've never seen before: Environmental Levy - waste oil $7.50.

I might seem a bit cynical here but I went to school with the owner of what is probably Australia's largest motor group and I've never forgotten the stories he told me about car servicing.

The dealer does provide one good service idea: they are open to 11pm at night which is great for dropping off and picking up the car.

Finally, my Laser which has now down 260,000 kms has always been serviced by Kmart at Katoomba where the customer service, work and prices has always been the best I've experienced in 43 years of car ownership. I gotta feeling I'll be back there very soon.

PS They forgot to stamp the service book!!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
warren77

I had a 2003 Liberty, which had a service interval of 12,500Km or 6 months. Which ever came first. I always hit the 6 months mark before the KMs.

A minor service was $165.
A major service was $235.
Each year that was a total of $400 (although probably gone up now).

So $265 every 12 months is still not bad. I had planned on dropping the oil and filter out every 6 months myself, so add in another $50.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
charge $6.50 for degreaser, $9.50 for engine oil flush and $9.50 for fuel cleaner?
Thanks for this post - I was wondering about these extra charges... After all, most "stealerships" tend to charge for them. However, I note that these are "extras" and certainly not mentioned in the documentation from the manufacturer as being required.

Where do they apply degreaser on the car??
Engine oil flush is "supposed" to make the oil change a bit faster, but Ford already quote how long the service should take.
Fuel cleaner... I thought the manual said we dont need to put any additives in, and does this mean they have a specific nozzle/adaptor to get these bottles into the capless system??
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Katoomba

Zippy,

I think these things are probably high profit markup items and unnecessary. They might only be a few dollars on the customers bill but over the total number of cars serviced it would add up in the dealer's favour.

To me those addons, especially the oil levy, just don't look good and add the impression of being 'ripped-off'.

This service at Kmart would have cost $109.00. The next service level with wheel balancing, rotation etc is $149. The most expensive is $189 which includes new plugs etc.

http://www.ktas.com.au/service-and-r...servicing.aspx

I just don't see how dealers can justify their servicing costs. At least now it's no longer necessary to have dealer servicing during the warranty period.

(I don't have any connection to Kmart except as a car service customer of 7 years.)

Last edited by Katoomba; 08-08-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
scribbly

We had a Toyota Corolla over 10 years ago and you were lucky to get change from $500 every time it went for a service every 10,000 km. Even for a vehicle built in Australia those figures are astronomical. Every Ford I have had since then has been a 'cheaper' service in comparison. Unfortunately where I live means that I rack up 15,000 km very quickly. Up to 18,000 now and I got the car in Apr08.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
We had a Toyota Corolla over 10 years ago and you were lucky to get change from $500 every time it went for a service every 10,000 km...
Yes, Toyotas were the most expensive cars I've ever had serviced as well. And spare parts the most expensive.

In 1994 I put a Toyota Corona in for a service and the bill was $990 which was a lot of money then. I had to leave it for couple of days to arrange to get some dough. They never even rang to let me know what they were doing and the expected.

At another time for the same car I had to get a small electrical part (a condenser-like thing that fitted on the coil or somewhere like that) - $440.

And my new Nissan Patrol in 2000 - $160 for a set of spare radiator hoses and fan belt. 40,000km service - $945 which didn't include anything other than scheduled service.

I just realised I hate cars! :
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
scribbly

At least cars don't go obsolete like computers so you have to 'upgrade' every 12 months to 'play the game'.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
jasonsultana@oz
Starter Motor

Got mine serviced this week and my charges are identical to Katoomba (presuming you went to Penrith for your service like me). Found it actually a good experience. Nice to see they are starting to wash cars again when you put them in for a service. Was put in at 8am and got the call to pick up at 11am.

They couldnt answer the question though on how you put petrol into the tank via a jerry can?
jasonsultana@oz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Got mine serviced recently and seem to have the same charges as others mentioned here. No worries from my end
Windsor Mondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsultana@oz
Got mine serviced this week and my charges are identical to Katoomba (presuming you went to Penrith for your service like me). Found it actually a good experience. Nice to see they are starting to wash cars again when you put them in for a service. Was put in at 8am and got the call to pick up at 11am.

They couldnt answer the question though on how you put petrol into the tank via a jerry can?
You would need to use a funnel with a tube connected to the end or a jiggle siphon.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree franchised car dealers charge like wounded bulls. In late 2005 when my car was due for its free 3000km check up. I rang the dealer I purchased from Adrian Brien Ford to see what it would cost for new oil and filter while its already on the hoist at its check up. They qouted either $140 - $160 or $120 if I supplied the oil. No way sir so I had Jarvis Toyota do the genuine filter and same oil as Adrian Brien was using at 3000km on a shopper docket for $29.95 the following week. Jarvis also run a Ford and Subaru delaership in Adelaide at seperate locations. I use my local mechanic who is about a 3rd of the cost of the dealer for log book service using genuine filters etc.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
walschaert
Starter Motor

I Used to tell them I didn't want the flushes/additives etc and made them write it on the order that I signed when dropping the car off. This was at the Ford Dealer at Bankstown and usually wasn't a problem unless they didn't read the form and put them in anyway. I just pointed to the paperwork and refused to pay for them. Haven't tried it with the TDCi, too new yet.

The worst car I have ever had for servicing costs was a 3.0 litre X Series Jaguar. Horrifying, but a fun car.
walschaert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
ian b

15000 service carried out yesterday at Castle Hill.

Charged $274.65 inc Environmental Levy and Shop Supplies.

I also had a discount from Ford to cover the towing charges associated with the earlier non starting issues so final payment was $150ish. Well worth hassling Ford CRC.

Car including the wheels was washed plus tyres blacked.

Also has the A/C regassed under warranty which has made a big diference, car was almost too cold this morning. Just in time for the warmer weather.
Old 23-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b

I also had a discount from Ford to cover the towing charges associated with the earlier non starting issues so final payment was $150ish. Well worth hassling Ford CRC.

Also has the A/C regassed under warranty which has made a big diference, car was almost too cold this morning. Just in time for the warmer weather.

How did you get the Aircon regassed under warranty?
Old 23-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b

Did it have a leak? Which I hope they found because otherwise re-gassing isn't going to last too long.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
hotplates
Starter Motor

wow all sounds too familiar. i like to hear people's opinions of these places and always end up shaking my head. if only you were all mechanics. c'mon guys do the oil change yourself and save the "extra" hundred dollars (which is all u really get for a 10 000km service).
i'm aware some of you are still under warranty, so unfortunately that bites you in the ***. and YES you CAN take it to other places besides the dealer. don't quote me but this is what i heard of.
i'm not behind the counter so i don't know what they "tell" you about the service work. when i walk into the office there's usually some unhappy customer.
the add -on stuff like fuel additives, engine cleaner...not worth the money, its a gimmicky idea that only semi-works.

we need the degreaser to clean your car that is covered in oil after the filter has seeped it all down the side of the engine, for example. brake cleaner and stuff like that, we all use frequently.
Dealerships are great if you have a problem that needs to be checked with the scan tool. they get regular updates on faults that are recurring and are usually pretty good at solving them. also they seem to use pretty decent oils.
Small places ie:Kmart...the services are pretty average, but what you pay them is all you should be paying for a service, really.
the environmental levy i'm pretty sure is for the disposal of your old oil. that is just something you will get anywhere.
so hope that answers a few questions...
my advice - say no to the additives and cleaners they try to sell. they will try to talk you into it by saying it helps fuel economy, and thats when people's ears up.
and when you want something done, make sure they write it down and whinge if it's not done...the amount of people annoyed over not having their handbrakes adjusted...oi.
any other mechanics with similar experiences?
hotplates is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIKA
How did you get the Aircon regassed under warranty?
I just told them it wasn't getting cold and they fixed it. Several other forum members have reported similar problems. Probaby undergassed to save a few Euros at the factory. If you don't ask......................

Also the rear bumper is rubbing on the underside of the hatch trim. They sent it to a bodyshop for quote, invoice states "Warranty sent for quote will ring to arrange time for repair" so don't expect a bill for this either.

I had a few problems soon after delivery with the "non starting" issue and gave the dealer and Ford CRC a pretty hard time. Maybe they wanted to keep me sweet.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
warren77

Well done Ian. You are right, if you don't ask, you won't receive. Finally starting to get hot in Perth but not really hot enough to use the Air Con yet. Although loving the sunroof!

In regards to cost versus doing it yourself, one thing to consider is how much do you value your time?

If you put a $ value on your time and look at how long certain things take, it may be better to pay someone and use that time to do something which either makes you more money or you enjoy.

That is personally why I don't service my car - I don't have the time nor do I find it enjoyable, so I outsource. Yet I do enjoy washing the car (strange I know) because I like the end result.
Old 24-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It takes one mishap and any saving is wasted if not in disaster as they said many years ago "Oils an't Oils" and if you look under the bonnet unless you know where things are and what things do I will take Warren advice and go and enjoy a movie or come on here and have a chat :thebirds: and I agree totally with Warren about washing the car it's one thing where you can control the results and to stand back and look at it,it's worth it until it ****es down with rain :(

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'm happy to pay someone to do the service. I used to work on cars when I was younger, but at 38 don't really fancy getting under a car on stands to do too much.

I hassled my dealer and will get the first two (not the 3000) services for free, and I will get into them about the A/C too. Mine doesnt' seem to be real cold, and a full summer here wil certainly sort the issue out.

I've read on here and on MEG, that some people as soon as they have the car at home, start taking the radio apart and other mods. I'd be too worried about not putting everyhting back properly.

At the end of the day, I am jsut old, and like to sit back and enjoy my car without having to worry about what went where, and 'why do I have this spring left over?'
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
Katoomba

Toyota dealers service Camrys for around $120 so I still think the $275 dollars or so for Mondeos is a blood rip-off. And it is only an oil change!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Mine is getting a 15000km service done tomorrow, Torque Ford have quoted mt $325. They're a little expensive but I'll go with them this time. Byrne Ford at Chermside quoted $250 for a service.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #24
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Got my 15K done yesterday. It took them half a day, but since I got the first two services free I left it over night. All good. Didn't give it a wash though. That must be for paying customers only

I haven't checked the book, but they said they filled it in. They didn't for the 3K. Interestingly they don't rotate tyres, only if they are looking a bit worn will they change over. Good to see they are trying to increase their business through the sales of tyres. No way would I buy tyres through the dealer. Don't have that much cash.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #25
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Well mine has been serviced, they did something to the car in regards to a recall on the ABS system, fixed the rear passenger window. It used to go 1/2 way up and then go back down.

They rotated my tyres and have told me they will need replacing in around 10000km, something I already knew about. The dealer said they can get me some Dunlop SP Sports for the car. I think I'll source my own tyres though.

Only downside is they are telling my the car cannot have the dash update to show instant fuel consumption, after seeing the Colonel's post in the Instant fuel consumption thread I'll try another dealer.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

15000k service completed today.

Wheels rotated and balanced, minor warranty work completed (upholstery reclipped on drivers seat, hatch realigned and rust coloured stain removed (plastic bits don't rust) and AC checked and found to meet spec (6 deg C at vent)

Front sensor button to be replaced under warranty when in stock (surface peeling)

Car washed

Damage was $281
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #27
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

deleted
Sunroof

Last edited by GRT046; 16-01-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Duplication
Old 16-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #28
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT046
15000k service completed today.

Wheels rotated and balanced, minor warranty work completed (upholstery reclipped on drivers seat, hatch realigned and rust coloured stain removed (plastic bits don't rust) and AC checked and found to meet spec (6 deg C at vent)

Front sensor button to be replaced under warranty when in stock (surface peeling)

Car washed

Damage was $281

Have you got scratches from the hatch being misaligned.
Old 16-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIKA
Have you got scratches from the hatch being misaligned.
Slight rub mark on the top of the bumper moulding in hatch opening .... polished out ok
Sunroof
Old 21-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Service done at Dale Ford earlier in the week. Tyres rotated & balanced, Dash Software upgraded, water off hatch issue investigated & logged.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post