Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #31
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default Re: AU tuning options

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Thanks for that. What about the catch code? Any other info needed from the ECU to buy the correct software?
No I don't think so. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

To find your ECU code, pull the passenger side footwell carpet closest to the passenger door, away from the ECU. Then you can put your hand on the underside of the ECU, you will feel a 1" x 2" black plastic port cover.

If you have a torch and a small mirror you will be able to read the 4 digit code from the sticker on it. eg/ 22NA, 22CA, 12RB or something similar like that.

This is the first step. See how you go. See what codes that your cars have.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #32
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Hi Sox,

Firstly if there is someone more knowlegeable with these questions than me, please speak up as I do not wish to lead people up the garden path so to speak.

The answer to your first and second question is "yes".

Your 2 vehicles will most likely have different 4 digit catch codes unless you are extremely lucky. Definitely need 2 QH units, or J3 chips, whichever you prefer. I'm pretty sure that only one purchase of the software is required. The only thing that can cost some more dollars is if your ECU strategy is not defined or supported yet, and somebody has to write a definition for the software. Then you will have 2 different strategy licences. You can find out once you have the 4 digit code.

The answer to your last question is "yes"

-Craig.
Thanks mate, looks good.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thought I might update this thread, I drove the car in question the other day and there is definitely a noticable change in performance following tuning. The owner ended up using Sniper to tune the car and the current tune in it is the 'performance' tune as supplied by BPR.
I think based on this experience and also how far my jaw dropped when I saw the amount of reading to understand/use Quarterhorse, I would also choose Sniper if it were my car. It is essentially the same as Xcal3 with a few changes in regards to who/how the tunes are uploaded.

I think the owner of the car considers it money well spent and after having a drive of it I would tend to agree.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have heard good things about Sniper tunes too. Yes, its basically the same as xcal3 except you dont get a unit to take with you. Its left to the tuner to upload as far as I am aware. But I have always wondered how it would go if you needed to 'reflash' the ecu to rid it of the KAM that the ecu picks up over time?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I have heard good things about Sniper tunes too. Yes, its basically the same as xcal3 except you dont get a unit to take with you. Its left to the tuner to upload as far as I am aware. But I have always wondered how it would go if you needed to 'reflash' the ecu to rid it of the KAM that the ecu picks up over time?
Actually you do and it looks like this:

Operates the same as an Xcal.
Old 18-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Oh interesting. Is the price comparable and what additional benefits are over there over the Xcal3 do you know?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Oh interesting. Is the price comparable and what additional benefits are over there over the Xcal3 do you know?
I'm only going on what I have seen from this other car but the features are virtually the same and the price is a little bit cheaper. For an initial tune I think it is up to the tuner what they want to charge you for that but my mate paid around the $600 mark for the unit and 3 tunes. The other cost to factor in is a 'bullet' which if he wanted to tune the car again he would need to purchase to make the unit work, and then dyno time on top of that if it is a custom tune.

The other feature I kind of like is that with his box I could actually tune my ute. All I would need to do is pay for a 'bullet' which would be sent to him (as he has the box), he 'loads the bullet' and then flashes it into my ute and away we go. Not a bad feature if you only plan on tuning it once. Each box is apparently able to tune somewhere round 3000 cars whereas the Xcal is limited to doing one car at a time.
Old 18-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm only going on what I have seen from this other car but the features are virtually the same and the price is a little bit cheaper. For an initial tune I think it is up to the tuner what they want to charge you for that but my mate paid around the $600 mark for the unit and 3 tunes. The other cost to factor in is a 'bullet' which if he wanted to tune the car again he would need to purchase to make the unit work, and then dyno time on top of that if it is a custom tune.

The other feature I kind of like is that with his box I could actually tune my ute. All I would need to do is pay for a 'bullet' which would be sent to him (as he has the box), he 'loads the bullet' and then flashes it into my ute and away we go. Not a bad feature if you only plan on tuning it once. Each box is apparently able to tune somewhere round 3000 cars whereas the Xcal is limited to doing one car at a time.
That alone is the winner. Being able to tune multiple cars off 1 unit is killer if you say, had 2 or 3 mates with Fords willing to share the cost of the unit and paying for separate tunes to suit each individual car. Am I reading that to be right?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
That alone is the winner. Being able to tune multiple cars off 1 unit is killer if you say, had 2 or 3 mates with Fords willing to share the cost of the unit and paying for separate tunes to suit each individual car. Am I reading that to be right?
From what I gather yes. Dont take my word for it but I do believe that is correct.
Old 18-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Would the tunes be limited to 3 in total or can there 3 tunes per vehicle? Probably the former.

I got this information from BPT website regarding what a Bullet is.

Basically, Sniper™ "Bullets" are passwords that can be individually purchased. Each "Bullet" or password allows you to flash a different vehicle using the Sniper™ Interface Box. Sniper™ "Bullets" can be purchased electronically, manually through a phone call, downloaded by the customer, or e-mailed directly to the customer. The advantages to this flexibility are tremendous! For example, an Installer/Tuner shop needs but one Sniper™ Interface Box to sell a performance power tuning "Bullet" for any customer's vehicle! No need to stock hard parts chips, tuners etc. "Inventory" of Sniper™ "Bullets" is available on line, 24/7, just by logging on and downloading. You're never out of stock and inventory investment is "low to none at all"!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #41
DW260

Sniper is essentially first version Xcal/CAPA Flash Tuner.

Unlike Xcal 3, you don't get a user adjustable interface - but you do get an interface. However you can purchase the Delta Force tuning software for about a ~$1000. There a few forums in the US dedicated to Sniper Tuning and it's software.

For $550 I consider it money well spent. Much better to drive now too.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes

Last edited by DW260; 20-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
Sniper is essentially first version Xcal/CAPA Flash Tuner.

Unlike Xcal 3, you don't get a user adjustable interface - but you do get an interface. However you can purchase the Delta Force tuning software for about a ~$1000. There a few forums in the US dedicated to Sniper Tuning and it's software.

For $550 I consider it money well spent. Much better to drive now too.
Are tunes you got generic, or for your setup based on what mods you have told the vendor?

Seems like good value.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #43
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

With Xcal3 I pay $250 per custom tune from a well known guru in Adelaide.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Are tunes you got generic, or for your setup based on what mods you have told the vendor?

Seems like good value.

Cheers
Stu

Little from column A, little from column B... Generic tunes based on what I told BPT about the mods
Old 20-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #45
DW260

Stu,

I'll give you the full run down when you come over and give me a hand with the valve springs I've sent a PM asking for a quote, so I'll let you know a plan when I get the information - assuming your offer is still on the table?
Old 20-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #46
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
Stu,

I'll give you the full run down when you come over and give me a hand with the valve springs I've sent a PM asking for a quote, so I'll let you know a plan when I get the information - assuming your offer is still on the table?
Cheers. Offer was to do it at my place in case you didn't have a compressor, but I can give you a hand at your place if you like. Let me know when you get the bits.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2023, 06:26 PM   #47
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260 View Post
Matt informed me that the catch-code can change?... And not rely on the sticker on the ECU... I dunno...
I have been buying old ECU's. And I've noticed on some the last digit is crossed out in black texta and usually the next letter in the alphabet is written next to it.
i.e. 12ZB becomes 12ZC

Could I assume this is done by Ford dealer service depts?
For some reason they have decided to re-flash a vehicles ECU.
And their sophisticate way of documenting this is the black texta?

The above quoted comment, would then be when noone somewhere could be bothered using the black texta?
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #48
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Have read as much as I can, without confusing myself.
It seems like going down the J3 path with say T.I Performance would suit me best?
But I'd just like to check that with anyone who knows more.

I'm not ready to start yet. But I don't want to wait too long and miss out on buying the equipment and parts I would need.

Have an AU3 stock I6 option 20 sedan with a manual conversion so far.
It's just my daily driver. I wasn't planning to track it.
Also have a spare HP and VCT engine, a box of various ECU's, and a spare J3 chip with a basic tune, to play with.
I'd like to experiment with cost effective performance improvements. Probably over a long period of time. I'm not a great mechanic. But I have some IT skills. And can learn still...eventually.
Don't like wasting money but can afford to spend what I need to...if that makes any sense. Also like the flexibility of being able to pay for the work to be done if I find I need to.

I'd also like to be able to download/dump the binfile of my less common manual ECU's and upload/flash these bin files to some more common auto ECU's I don't need.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post