Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
tezarity
Tezarity

Default Fuel Economy

Hey guys,
I currently have a 06 Focus but am looking at upgrading to a diesel Mondeo.
Just wondering what the fuel economy is like on a diesel mondeo vs the petrol.

Cheers

tezarity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Tezarity,

We are getting high 6 l/100 km thus far but we do very little stop/start city driving. The best we have achieved was from Warrnambool to outer Eastern Melbourne @ 5.6 l/100 km.

Oh, and you might be wondering why you have not had much response. Could I suggest that you use the search button in the blue bar above and see if there are some posts about your area of interest? It helps to demonstrate you are willing to "find first" then "ask second" if the "find" fails.

There was quite a long thread about this matter within the last fortnight, I seem to recall. See the "Mondeo Diesel question" 7 posts down.

Cheers - and you could do a lot worse than a TDCi Mondeo :

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 28-11-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Extra information
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Here's mine, I never turn the A/C off, have the sunroof on tilt most of the time, carry a pram, and do mostly city with maybe two 600+ highway trips a month.

I'd also agree with Alan above, to use the search facility, as there is a specific post about fuel economy.

My averages are as follows (at last fill up)
Kms travelled: 32474
Average distance between fill ups: 524 kms
Average cost per fill up: $74.06
Average cost per litre of diesel: $1.396 (most I paid was on 12/7/08 when diesel was $1.869 a litre!)
Average amount of fuel into car: 43.6 litres
Average fuel economy: 7l/100 kms
Average operating cost (diesel only): $0.13
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the petrol, and get about 9.3 l/100km in mixed driving. I can do better than this - around 8.5 is achievable on long trips driving steadily at 100 km/h. 100% city driving is about 12.5.
Old 28-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Hey Dusty, what do you mean by the average operating cost is $0.13?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Hey Dusty, what do you mean by the average operating cost is $0.13?
I suspect that Dusty means it is costing 13 cents per kilometre of travel for fuel and he is to be commended for keeping such detailed records.

I check my consumption from time to time to keep tabs on whether the car is performing as I anticipate, so I can let the service people know if there are any sudden changes.

But I'm having trouble duplicating Dusty's figure from the other data that is provided:

1. The figure should be achieved by Average cost for a fill/Average distance between fills 74.06/524 = 0.1413 dollars per km

Alternatively

2. average litres per 100 km x average cost per litre / 100 ie 7 x 1.396 / 100 which gives 0.0977 dollars per km.

I'm suspecting that the average consumption figure is obtained by total fuel cost divided by total distance travelled to the last fill, and if this is the case then some of the other figures don't fit this answer.

If Dusty is using a spread sheet I'm suspecting a rogue equation has gotten into the mix - and I know how easy that is to do. I managed to embed an incorrect equation into a spreadsheet embedded in an invoice page, which gave a 10% error to our dis-advantage. Discovered, fortunately, before it cost too much income and found when SWMBO calculated an invoice by "pencil and paper" and achieved an invoice value 10% higher.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 29-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Of you PM me your email I'll send the spreadsheet over. GRT046 gave it to me originally and I'm happ to send it around
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
I suspect that Dusty means it is costing 13 cents per kilometre of travel for fuel and he is to be commended for keeping such detailed records.

I check my consumption from time to time to keep tabs on whether the car is performing as I anticipate, so I can let the service people know if there are any sudden changes.

But I'm having trouble duplicating Dusty's figure from the other data that is provided:

1. The figure should be achieved by Average cost for a fill/Average distance between fills 74.06/524 = 0.1413 dollars per km

Alternatively

2. average litres per 100 km x average cost per litre / 100 ie 7 x 1.396 / 100 which gives 0.0977 dollars per km.

I'm suspecting that the average consumption figure is obtained by total fuel cost divided by total distance travelled to the last fill, and if this is the case then some of the other figures don't fit this answer.

If Dusty is using a spread sheet I'm suspecting a rogue equation has gotten into the mix - and I know how easy that is to do. I managed to embed an incorrect equation into a spreadsheet embedded in an invoice page, which gave a 10% error to our dis-advantage. Discovered, fortunately, before it cost too much income and found when SWMBO calculated an invoice by "pencil and paper" and achieved an invoice value 10% higher.

Cheers
:O That red bit above is more than just a typo - I must have had a Senior moment (I Qualify ) It ought to read " I'm suspecting that the average fuel cost per kilometre is obtained by ...."

I'm embarrassed e

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red