Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #91
mcsweenyfives

Default Re: Qld flash for cash cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Wasnt that the one where the driver had a heart attack?
Yep any road can be dangerous at any time. You just don't know what week happen. The faster you go the longer it takes to stop and less time to react to something

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #92
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
so many people are being brainwashed
Some people gift their reason and commonsense to authority. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's just easier that way (and you can always take the self-righteous high ground).

Pointless discussing anything with those people. After all, govco knows better than we plebs. And when laws are relaxed or rescinded it's always an example of authority getting it right (very rarely is it mentioned that govco originally had it wrong).

Anyhoo, nearly every day I see one of my favourite examples of dimwittery.

On my way home there is a street that was, around 12 months ago, repaved.

During the repaving process (on a wide street) a "speed calmer" was removed (involved lines and speed bumps forcing traffic into a narrow funnel against a road divider. Originally one had to slow from 50kph to about 30kph to negotiate it.

When line marking was done on the new bitumen they put the lines where they were but as yet (12 months down the track) have not replaced the multiple speed bumps.

So approaching this area one is faced with a wide street with a single line road marking which means you'll have to slow down to negotiate.... err, well, to negotiate the funnel which isn't there any more.

Judging by the worn paint on the road marking most people do what I do.

Drive in a straight line (rather than follow the painted line).

However, there's always someone who mindlessly follows the line.

It's actually disconcerting to see it. There's absolutely no reason to do it but because the line is there Mr or Mrs Timid can't force themselves to think that perhaps it isn't necessary.

I hope they don't/didn't breed...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 AM   #93
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My last speeding ticket was about 8 or 9 years ago. Since then I all my cars have had cruise control and no speeding tickets since haha!! Just gotta watch the downhill runs...
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #94
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd just like to make two points here , not specifically related to the situation in Queensland , as I think they are generic to Australian road safety:
* why is there no emphasis on driver training / licence renewal. I am certain that most of us need to recertify at work for some type of safety or legal aspect on a regular basis. Why is there NOTHING done about driver education.
* A sad but understated aspect of the road toll is suicide, particularly by young males. To protect the family, the authorities will often report these events as 'speeding' (the easiest option as discussed on numerous occasions in this & other threads).
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #95
Tom Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getabout View Post
While I hate the way we are being increasingly put under surveillance I would love to have private cars randomly fitted with speed cameras, with the owner's permission of course. Just imagine if idiot speeders are fearful that the "old bomb" they see coming towards them is effectively a 'cop' car !! The cameras could be swapped on a regular basis and maybe a small reward for the carrier of it. The limits may seem a bit restrictive but have been worked out very carefully. The risk of crash or severe injury increases quite dramatically after 100kmh for example. The limits are not just there to stop crashes but to limit the following damage. If people want to be children ("aww look at me going so fast and getting sideways") they shouldn't be on the road. Let them go to a private racetrack to fulfill their boy-racer fantasies because innocent people being killed or mangled is no joke!
Surely you're not serious. You Sir, are why Australia is the nanny state it is.

I assume you'd support surveillance devices fitted to every vehicle, linked to GPS, where you automatically receive a fine for traffic infringements?

Here is my argument. As a tax payer, driving on the road isn't a privilege, it's a right. Yes, there needs to be enforcement of traffic regulations (we're not a third world country, and it's not open slather), but as soon as my driving on the road becomes a source of income for the govt (beyond registration), and they have a vested interest in collecting as much revenue as possible, then civil liberties are at stake. Anyone who swallows the road safety propaganda and fails to recognise the insidious nature of this rampant taxation is as much part of the problem as the govt themselves.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #96
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Revenue!!!!!! The reason why driver training isn't taken seriously. If all drivers are trained to a high degree the argument against higher speed limits becomes weakened. Higher speed limits means less law breaking and falling revenue.

Revenue is also the reason that driverless cars won't be welcome here for a long time unless there is a complete shift in Govco thinking. Driverless cars will follow all the rules regardless how stupid they are.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #97
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
But nor is it taken into account by the police, government or road safety experts. We, as drivers, are continually subjected to accusations of irresponsibility, told we're not getting the message, and used as justification for ever more draconian enforcement.
How do you know this they don't take it into account?

Quote:
You cant have it both ways. Either things are getting better, or they're not. Police want to take credit for improvements while telling us we're getting worse.
If you look at the issue simplistically, I agree with you. To get a true picture though, we need to look at far more stats than road deaths. I'm certainly no expert on the matter (just like everyone posting here) but its not hard to see that population growth increase, which flows onto more drivers and the number of kilometres driven increases. Actually, I just did a quick Google and found facts -

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/on...al_2014_II.pdf

Have a look at pages 13, 21 & 24 (pdf page numbers), you can see that the death toll has dropped. Look at NT's death toll stats, much higher as a percentage of its population than any other state.

If you look at NT's accident stats -
https://dipl.nt.gov.au/__data/assets...ds-11-8-16.pdf

The biggest cause both in one year and a ten year trend was alcohol and speed. What's not spelt out in these figures is when a combination of causes and what came first, ie was a driver speeding and not wearing a seatbelt?

I don't believe the Police set the speed limits neither, isn't it set using international standards adapted to Australian conditions with accident stats factored in for a specific stretch of road?

@Tom Tucker, I believe the right is to travel and a drivers licence is a privilege...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #98
Tom Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post

@Tom Tucker, I believe the right is to travel and a drivers licence is a privilege...
Incorrect. Having a licence isn't a privilege, it's a matter of passing a test and paying a fee. Having your licence suspended or revoked is a punishment.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #99
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
Incorrect. Having a licence isn't a privilege, it's a matter of passing a test and paying a fee. Having your licence suspended or revoked is a punishment.
Have you got a link that says this Tom?

A simple quick Google confirms what I said for two states -

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/lice...arry_it_on_you

A driver licence is a privilege not a right and it is not unreasonable to require drivers to produce their licence to identify themselves and to prove that they are appropriately licensed and driving within any conditions of their licence.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...RideSafeP3.pdf

To hold a driver’s licence is not a right - it is a privilege
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #100
Tom Tucker

A link to prove a philosophical standpoint?

I guess the OPs original post about questionable road safety cameras is null and void under the weight of internet links from govt agencies that helpfully inform us that speeding is more dangerous than being drunk, high, or asleep behind the wheel.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #101
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
FWIW, I think the definition is accurate but "privilege" has lost significant impact over time.

Govt would like us to think it's a gift or a big deal but of course it's about as "special" as catching a train to work.

Buy your ticket, don't cause any problems and you're welcome to be as special as everyone else.

3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #102
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I guess the OPs original post about questionable road safety cameras is null and void under the weight of internet links from govt agencies that helpfully inform us that speeding is more dangerous than being drunk, high, or asleep behind the wheel.
Your posts came across as clearly stating it was fact, not your philosophy Tom...

Your second paragraph is adding your opinion. Simple fact is, in most things, the big ticket items get the most attention, if most accidents were caused by falling asleep or smoking pot, then they would receive the most attention.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #103
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

if speed is such a killer and governments are worried about people dying and not raising $$$ why haven't governments legislated (like seat belts and air-bags) top speed limiters (either mechanical or GPS based)? That would stop the speeding deaths overnight (yes I know 'old' car would not have such devices etc). If it was GPS based it could even adjust for zones (like 100 down to 80 and then back up again etc).
Sir Humphrey might say it would be a 'courageous decision'
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #104
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
if speed is such a killer and governments are worried about people dying and not raising $$$ why haven't governments legislated (like seat belts and air-bags) top speed limiters (either mechanical or GPS based)?
Yep, drop max speed down to 80kph on the hwy and 20kph around town.

The truth is that much as they waffle on justifying extra "life-saving" measures, the death rate vs revenue is very acceptable.

Well, I guess at the rate of increase of "life-saving" devices and the continual increase in fines the revenue side of it has a life of it's own.

What a windfall!

Old 07-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #105
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsweenyfives View Post
Yep any road can be dangerous at any time. You just don't know what week happen. The faster you go the longer it takes to stop and less time to react to something

So an accident where the ONLY fatality was the driver who died from a heart attack is enough of an event to create a "Accident black spot" requiring a "life saving" speed camera?
Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #106
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsweenyfives View Post

And if one had driven faster , they would have completely missed out on that hazard they would have encountered if they had been traveling at the limit.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #107
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your posts came across as clearly stating it was fact, not your philosophy Tom...

Your second paragraph is adding your opinion. Simple fact is, in most things, the big ticket items get the most attention, if most accidents were caused by falling asleep or smoking pot, then they would receive the most attention.
"The big ticket items get the most attention"?

Sorry, when it comes to road safety the items that can get the most tickets for Govco get the most attention in our time!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #108
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if most accidents were caused by falling asleep or smoking pot, then they would receive the most attention.
So most accidents are caused by speeding? Because when the ATSB used to publish the raw data, speeding was not causative in the vast majority of crashes.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #109
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
So most accidents are caused by speeding? Because when the ATSB used to publish the raw data, speeding was not causative in the vast majority of crashes.
25% of accidents are speed related.. but the Police focus on that more than the other 75% of accident causes....why ? easiest to Police !!!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #110
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
25% of accidents are speed related
That doesn't mean the drivers were speeding, let alone that the speed was causative.

When the numbers were available, it was <<10% of crashes caused by excessive speed over the limit. Yet for the purposes of the officially sanctioned guilt-trip, the definition of speeding isn't the same as the one that gets you a fine. Its simply, could the crash have been mitigated by going slower....
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #111
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

"Speed was a factor" is a line the police are told to parrot, to justify cameras.

It's similar to how they report motorcycle fatalities. They'll never tell you this, but all offroad (farm, motocross, general dirtbiking) fatalities are counted towards the overall motorcyclist road toll, even though it totally skews the figures.

"Speeding? You're in our budget projections."
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #112
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...129517/?ref=hs
Rockhampton and Capricorn Coast hidden speed camera sites.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #113
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the news link in csv9's post above ...

"According to the Queensland Government, speeding is one of the major causes of fatalities on Queensland roads with 62 people killed as a result of crashes involving speeding drivers or riders in 2015."

But wait ... Qld Govt statistics reported 242 fatalities in 2015 ... so if 62 of those involved speed then that's 25.6% of the total. "a major cause"?????

And so the EFN BS just keeps churning out.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #114
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
From the news link in csv9's post above ...

"According to the Queensland Government, speeding is one of the major causes of fatalities on Queensland roads with 62 people killed as a result of crashes involving speeding drivers or riders in 2015."

But wait ... Qld Govt statistics reported 242 fatalities in 2015 ... so if 62 of those involved speed then that's 25.6% of the total. "a major cause"?????

And so the EFN BS just keeps churning out.
It could be BS, but it could also be the way your reading the article.

Do we have access to the causes of the remaining 180 accidents? Could it be that 25.6% is correct, maybe 23% alcohol, 20% not wearing seatbelt, 15% inattention, 5% mechanical failure etc etc?
If that's the case, then the 3 major causes of fatalities involved speed, alcohol or seatbelt. Therefore, no BS.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #115
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is BS.

Most people think that speeding is just driving over the speed limit, but speeding is also driving at a speed that is inappropriate for the driving conditions, such as rain, fog, traffic or traffic flow.

How many of those 'speeding' drivers were over the speed limit? Probably not many. Yet this is the primary justification for speed enforcement.

What camera enforces appropriate speeds BELOW the limit? NONE. That comes down to the cop putting down his f#ing iPad and actually driving his car and observing driver behaviour.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #116
ronwest

I, for one, would be very interested to know what percentage (or raw numbers) of speeding tickets are for <10kph and also <5kph.

Govts won't release that stat so one may draw the conclusion that it's the vast majority.

The speeding message infers that there are millions of demons out there driving at hideous speeds.

No doubt there are some but they're not the source of revenue.

I do get a bit irate about it. I'd get less irate if govt admitted the revenue side. It'd at least show some honesty.

2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #117
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Do we have access to the causes of the remaining 180 accidents? Could it be that 25.6% is correct, maybe 23% alcohol, 20% not wearing seatbelt, 15% inattention, 5% mechanical failure etc etc?
If that's the case, then the 3 major causes of fatalities involved speed, alcohol or seatbelt. Therefore, no BS.
The figures you posted are assumptions on your part.

The true figures from the Qld Govt website are (in part) ...
Alcohol/drug related crashes - 40.3%
Unrestrained vehicle occupants - 27.3%
Involving speeding drivers and riders – 25.5%

So you can see that alchohol/drugs is the major cause - not "speed".
Therefore BS.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #118
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

What about "inattention due to technology"? *smug*

Also, this is what these cameras remind me of.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #119
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
The figures you posted are assumptions on your part.

The true figures from the Qld Govt website are (in part) ...
Alcohol/drug related crashes - 40.3%
Unrestrained vehicle occupants - 27.3%
Involving speeding drivers and riders – 25.5%

So you can see that alchohol/drugs is the major cause - not "speed".
Therefore BS.
Obviously my figures were assumptions. They were used to highlight B0sons interpretation of the article.

However, it simple isn't BS. Here's the exact wording -

"According to the Queensland Government, speeding is one of the major causes of fatalities on Queensland"

Key words here are "one of the major", it doesn't say "the major".

Having said that, these figures are a little misleading, a quick read and you'd say speed is third, but unrestrained occupants aren't the cause of an accident and if you look further down the 2015 QLD document your quoting those figures from, you'll see they have the following for 2015 -

Involving drink drivers/riders - 23.5% (Drugs and inebriated pedestrians removed presumably)
Involving speeding drivers/riders - 25.5%

Check out the 2015 NSW report (PDF page 119) -
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....hstats2015.pdf

Alcohol involved in crash - 1,064 people injured or killed.
speed involved in crash - 3,882 "

Out of interest, what do the pro 'revenue raiser' guys/girls think the money
is used for?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #120
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unrestrained occupants aren't the cause of accidents but that's not what the article says. It says that they are a major cause of fatalities. Which is correct! They are!

It still puts speeding at no three.

It's so easy to change statistics by changing one word to suit a particular viewpoint.