Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Public Service Announcement: Fill Up Your Spare

When was the last time you checked the pressure of your spare tyre?
Some of you will be vigilant enough to remember, but for the rest of us, don't get caught out with all the ability and tools on your cool ride only to be let down by a little bit of air.
Fill it up next time you're down the servo!
And it's free!!!
6 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: Public Service Announcement: Fill Up Your Spare

Yes some wise advice. And I always make a point of checking my spare after I've had the car serviced at my local Ford dealer. The last 2 services they have pumped it up to more than 50psi. Its not a ******* space saver! The morons there can't seem to tell the difference. (Despite the custom made floor to accommodate the full size wheel)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Checked the 4 cars this morning. Straight forward with most cars, Falcon, Corolla, MGB.

But VW want to be clever so they put the spare wheel in upside down so they can then fit a tool box inside the hollow of the rim. Great idea until it comes to checking the tyre pressure when you find the valve is right underneath and everything has to come out.

1. You first lift up the boot lower board. Nothing to keep it up with, so you are then left with only one free hand after that.
2. Then you open the toolbox lid and remove the jack from its slot within the toolbox to get at the screw knob. Then loosen the wheel and toolbox.
3. Lift out toolbox.
4. Lift out wheel, but thats awkward as the tyre tread keeps catching on lower edge of the rear boot trim.
5. After struggling for a while with the heavy wheel, you finally manage to lift out wheel, put it on the ground then check the tyre pressure.
6. Put wheel back in the wheel well, centreing so the screw clamp will go straight in.
7. Put the toolbox back in and screw it all in.
8. But how does that jack go back in so the toolbox lid closes properly? After several minutes working out which way the jack goes and swivelling the end bit around, it finally fits in and the toolbox lid can close.
9. Lower that board that you were holding with your left hand the whole time.

No wonder some people don't check their spare tyre pressure. Stupid VW designers. But I'm grateful it has a full size spare, unlike many cars these days.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Stupid VW designers. But I'm grateful it has a full size spare, unlike many cars these days.
My Wife's VW work car doesn't even have one. When I asked the salesman where it was, he pulled out his phone instead.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW doesn't bother with minor matters like having a spare wheel either.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Yes some wise advice. And I always make a point of checking my spare after I've had the car serviced at my local Ford dealer. The last 2 services they have pumped it up to more than 50psi. Its not a ******* space saver! The morons there can't seem to tell the difference. (Despite the custom made floor to accommodate the full size wheel)
I'd prefer it too high, rather than too low, you can easily let a bit out on the side of the road if you're fitting it and it feels a bit high, but how often do we pump up the spare when we do the other 4? I for one never do.
Services could be 12 months apart for my Territory, I check/inflate the tyres probably every 3 months or so, but never give the spare a thought, so prior to those 12 month services it's probably flat.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
BMW doesn't bother with minor matters like having a spare wheel either.
They counter the lack of spare tyre with run flat tyres. Ask me how much I'm looking forward to replacing the tyres...
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #8
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
I'd prefer it too high, rather than too low, you can easily let a bit out on the side of the road if you're fitting it and it feels a bit high, but how often do we pump up the spare when we do the other 4? I for one never do.
Services could be 12 months apart for my Territory, I check/inflate the tyres probably every 3 months or so, but never give the spare a thought, so prior to those 12 month services it's probably flat.
I'd rather not have a tyre in my boot that has been inflated over its maximum rated pressure.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always carry some kind of foot pump.
It has saved me many times as in getting to a tyre place to have a nail / screw fixed without even having to change the wheel with slow leaks.
If you do have to change then it can help if the spare is a little low as well.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 04:19 AM   #10
sr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Always carry some kind of foot pump.
It has saved me many times as in getting to a tyre place to have a nail / screw fixed without even having to change the wheel with slow leaks.
If you do have to change then it can help if the spare is a little low as well.
Yeh, the Tyre Repair Plugs are only around $10 for a kit, so worth having thrown in as well.
And regarding the VW which is hard to check. A cheap 12V compressor could be a good option
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
But VW want to be clever so they put the spare wheel in upside down so they can then fit a tool box inside the hollow of the rim.....
Same goes for my partner's Subie Forester! Not quite as troublesome as your VW, but still a bit of a hassle!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Sorta goes without saying really.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
But VW want to be clever so they put the spare wheel in upside down so they can then fit a tool box inside the hollow of the rim. Great idea until it comes to checking the tyre pressure when you find the valve is right underneath and everything has to come out.
Yep, 1-7 is exactly the same as my car. Saving space without a spacesaver
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check my spare regularly.

but that would be because its being used on my front left, and has been there for close to 4 months
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Checked the 4 cars this morning. Straight forward with most cars, Falcon, Corolla, MGB.

1. You first lift up the boot lower board. Nothing to keep it up with, so you are then left with only one free hand after that.
2. Then you open the toolbox lid and remove the jack from its slot within the toolbox to get at the screw knob. Then loosen the wheel and toolbox.
3. Lift out toolbox.
4. Lift out wheel, but thats awkward as the tyre tread keeps catching on lower edge of the rear boot trim.
5. After struggling for a while with the heavy wheel, you finally manage to lift out wheel, put it on the ground then check the tyre pressure.
6. Put wheel back in the wheel well, centreing so the screw clamp will go straight in.
7. Put the toolbox back in and screw it all in.
8. But how does that jack go back in so the toolbox lid closes properly? After several minutes working out which way the jack goes and swivelling the end bit around, it finally fits in and the toolbox lid can close.
9. Lower that board that you were holding with your left hand the whole time.

No wonder some people don't check their spare tyre pressure. Stupid VW designers. But I'm grateful it has a full size spare, unlike many cars these days.
Like an EF Falcon. My old XR6 was like that, mounted upside down. Made it a PITA to check the pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What I do is inflate the spare up to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, so if you forget about it for a while hopefully its still some what inflated if you need to use it ages later down the track.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember watching Jack Absolom's 'Road To Survival' VHS and he pumped up his spare tyre to something like 150psi. He used the spare tyre to pump up his flat after letting his tyre down to get un-bogged via a one way valve.
He said it is perfectly safe to pump up a tyre to this pressure as long as its not used on the road as tyres can withstand a massive amount of pressure.
Personally i'd start to get anxious once the pressure passes the 60psi mark.

Highly recommend buying Jack Absolom's 1980's 'Road To Survival' DVD on Ebay for a laugh and some pretty interesting travel tips.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
They counter the lack of spare tyre with run flat tyres. Ask me how much I'm looking forward to replacing the tyres...
Enjoy your spine-shattering ride quality if you venture away from capital cities...I've heard they can be a little...harsh...on rough roads.
I know one dealer I spoke to who bemoaned the way some new BMW's are fitted with run-flats...he said no one from "the bush", even well off miners, would even consider buying one fitted with those wheels, as even the simplest flat tyre meant an expensive replacement by the time you could drive somewhere that had the equipment to remove the tyre and stocked the run flats.

Sometimes technology for the sake of technology is a bad thing...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What I do is inflate the spare up to the max pressure listed on the sidewall, so if you forget about it for a while hopefully its still some what inflated if you need to use it ages later down the track.
Yeap, amazing how many shops dont inflate spares, when a vehicle comes in I always inflate spare to max pressure.
Old 14-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #20
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filla spare with nitrogen and notta leaka so mucha
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post