Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Dezza
Parts bin special

Default Re: Aussie fords and holdens in other countries/falcons with different front ends

How about the 1960 Ford Frontenac from Canada?

They then replaced it with the Mercury Comet, which was also heavily based off the Falcon (and the source of the XP's front sheetmetal)

Both the models were built over there based off the US Falcon, but it's still interesting to see them.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #32
Spurious

Default Re: Aussie fords and holdens in other countries/falcons with different front ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
Not sure I understand you post. That is not an Australian Falcon re-badged. It is a European Mk II Granada that came out a good year or two before, 1977 to be exact. Note that the rear door top is similar to the XC, the XD had a much lower door line.

The XD was styled after that car so Ford Australia cannot claim all the glory for XD styling. The XD even shares headlights and front indicators with the Mk II Granada. Those parts have European part numbers.

All UK RHD Mk II Granadas were built at the Cologne Plant in Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Granada_(Europe)

Inside the Granada was far more refined than the XD. Especially the Ghia models. Leather seats and real timber dash and door toppings. Very nice car.
I understand what you mean.

My point though is that Ford & Holden are not Australian....period!
Falcons might be made here but even they are based on U.S &/or UK designs, they just have different styling.

So technically you should have gone to the U.S to ask the question of Fords in a foreign land!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #33
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
How about the 1960 Ford Frontenac from Canada?

They then replaced it with the Mercury Comet, which was also heavily based off the Falcon (and the source of the XP's front sheetmetal)

Both the models were built over there based off the US Falcon, but it's still interesting to see them.
That frontenac looks cool with an airplane propeller in its grille. The centre of it would make a nice place for a turbo snout
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #34
WogBoy5150

I love that frontenac!
WogBoy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #35
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yeah, it looks mad. They'd be ultra-rare too.

As for Holdens in different countries, here we have this horror in Germany, the Bitter Vero!

Before that, they had the Bitter CD2, aka a heavily mutated Holden Monaro

And for a classic overseas Holden, the Mazda Roadpacer, which was famous for it's rotary engine. The car was too heavy for the engine though so it was slow and thirsty

And last but not least, the Isuzu Statesman DeVille, which was just a rebadged Holden. No rotary in this one!

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior

Last edited by Dezza; 03-01-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #36
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

As for Holdens in different countries, here we have this horror in Germany, the Bitter Vero!

And for a classic overseas Holden, the Mazda Roadpacer, which was famous for it's rotary engine. The car was too heavy for the engine though so it was slow and thirsty

And last but not least, the Isuzu Statesman DeVille, which was just a rebadged Holden. No rotary in this one!
Wow those Bitter cars were really designed by some bitter or twisted individuals. Those are horrific. I thought germans would have had better styling sense than that.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #37
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Wow those Bitter cars were really designed by some bitter or twisted individuals. Those are horrific. I thought germans would have had better styling sense than that.
Have you seen their dress sense? Shell suits rule.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2015, 12:39 AM   #38
AUwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The sedan don't look too bad. The Monaro though looks hideous
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 AM   #39
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

HK-HG DNA from brazil

http://www.productioncars.com/send_f...beige_1972.jpg
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2015, 05:19 AM   #40
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't think those bitters were built for production.. just show cars.
The earlier bitters from the 70's and 80's are nice rides.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #41
WogBoy5150

Before i decide how much i dislike that silver bitter vero i wanna see it in black with dark tint and black rims.I think it would look slick in a dark colour.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #42
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

How about the Mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier Estate, assembled in UK from knock down rear panel kits from Australia ?

Or the German manufactured Vauxhall / Opel Senators, Royales and Monzas ?

2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #43
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
I understand what you mean.

My point though is that Ford & Holden are not Australian....period!
Falcons might be made here but even they are based on U.S &/or UK designs, they just have different styling.

So technically you should have gone to the U.S to ask the question of Fords in a foreign land!
That's rubbish. (period)

Ford and Holden are Australian in many ways and only a fool would say they are not.
Australian could never of made their own 100% car ever or if it did it would be like some Russian 2 stroke junk they had.

We had a lot of input for our cars and GM and Ford were fantastic to come and serve us with cars for Australia.
We had British cars made hear and a lot they did not cut it.

The main problems came from the people in the USA or UK not understanding or needs but it's our Aussie Ford and Holden teams that made the big difference.
The problem mainly with the Valiants and UK cars was lack of Aussie input and cutting corners because of lack of money to do so.

So when one hears of some goat bagging Aussie cars as a whole, the fact is they are just so ignorant and have no in depth understanding at all. it's just like a ALP get together and start barking up the wrong tree.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #44
WogBoy5150

Those opels look horrible!!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #45
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first generation Commodores were basically the Opel anyway. Holden took the easy option whereas Ford based the XD on the Granada but kept the Aussie driveline. A better move I think.
A bit of info here.
I also have some 1970's UK Motor Show brochures with the Falcon and Charger in so i will scan these tomorrow and post up.

Wayne

and some info on the Mazda Roadpacer AP

XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #46
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Any AFF member's / old golfer's recognize who that bloke is standing next to the Isuzu Statesman DeVille in post 35? I'm pretty sure it's Jack Nicklaus, he was a fair golfer in his time!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #47
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL View Post
The first generation Commodores were basically the Opel anyway. Holden took the easy option whereas Ford based the XD on the Granada but kept the Aussie driveline. A better move I think.
A bit of info here.
I also have some 1970's UK Motor Show brochures with the Falcon and Charger in so i will scan these tomorrow and post up.

Wayne

and some info on the Mazda Roadpacer AP

Hold on.. didn't ford base the Styling of the XD on the Granada.
But the floor pan and running gear were carry overs from xc and further back?
That's what has been written before.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #48
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Hold on.. didn't ford base the Styling of the XD on the Granada.
But the floor pan and running gear were carry overs from xc and further back?
That's what has been written before.
Not entirely sure maybe it was just the styling.
I'm not really up on the fourth generation Falcons mainly third generation.

Wayne
Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In terms of parts the XD probably shared nothing with the Granada bar the headlights. I reckon everything else would have been unique to XD. The styling obviously had some similar elements but it was basically a clean sheet design.

Love seeing the sales figures for VB Vs XD. The XD completely destroyed the Commodore. How Ford lost that momentum after Holden were basically broke and needed to be bailed out by GM in 85 is a sad story. Starting with the quality woes of the EA and no V8 in 82.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #50
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Any AFF member's / old golfer's recognize who that bloke is standing next to the Isuzu Statesman DeVille in post 35? I'm pretty sure it's Jack Nicklaus, he was a fair golfer in his time!

cheer's, Maka
Looks very much like a young Jack!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #51
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the UK sales brochure for the XC GXL and XC Fairmont Wagon including sales costs.

I will scan in the 1970's Motor Show pages tomorrow.

Wayne

Last edited by XC GXL; 05-01-2015 at 07:19 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #52
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Good seeing that Fairmont GXL brochure, my dad had one of those. Thanks for that XC GXL, very nice!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #53
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sapa, Vietnam:

I thought that sorta looked like a VN Commy - long stretch I know!

No mistaking this one from South Korea but!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 AM   #54
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah I've seen a WK Statesman/Buick Royaum in China. Xi'an 2005 to be precise.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #55
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Sapa, Vietnam:

Arent those statesmans supposed to be wearing daewoo badges in south korea? Guess even koreans hate the daewoo badge themselves
Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 AM   #56
atmoxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Sapa, Vietnam:

top one is a camira, it made it to the us as a chevy of some type also.
atmoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 AM   #57
Falcman0o7
Banned

na na na! holden commodores are 100% aussie bra! all aussie you ask mi mate dazza its true! commys are sick and they go fast and they can go over ramps!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camira was also sold as the Cadillac Cimarron, ofter regarded as one of the worst cars ever made

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #59
Brodes
Brodes

Homeland has used & destroyed a heap of Territory's

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_748118-...y-SX-2005.html
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #60
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

RDP motorsport BA XR8 ute in the US (one of many youtube videos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfoJlbL3dCc

They even drive the thing on the streets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCll0dMM73Q

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)

Last edited by dawsman; 06-01-2015 at 12:51 PM.
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post