Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #31
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 
Default Re: Family car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
Also too with these newer cars all being diesel, is it worth it for the compromise of the car sounding like truck??
I can hardly hear the diesel inside, with the drivers window down in a drive through I can hear it, and I don't mind it at all. The torque and fuel economy certainly makes any sounds worth while.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #32
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good points guys cheers.

Driving the PX all day I see how good the diesel can be as a work truck, but I've never driven a diesel "family" car. I'll have to try one out.

Another car I didn't mind was the Mazda CX9, any takers on those?
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah our TDi is a little bit rattly but you dont buy a people mover for the exhaust note..hehe

I too said I would never, ever, buy a Tarago type car but once I did the maths and got what was right for us it was kinda self evident which was the right way to go.

You could probably pick up a demo Landrover Discovery for that aswell, that was the next car on my list.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Kia Sorento has a cracker 2.2L diesel engine, 145KW and 436NM torque, I fitted electric brakes to a customers car and it would have given my TDCI Focus a bloody nose, 200cc bigger engine with 45KW more power and 100nm more torque on the Focus, it moved the car no problem.

Also passenger diesels are much more refined and quiet than commercial stuff. You can hardly hear them at all, which is a bit of a shame, I'm a fan of the noise lol.

With Mazdas very rarely do we have them come into the shop, its only every now and again for an AC regas and very rarely an Alternator.

Mazdas are very popular too so its not like they're rare on the ground either. Good reliable manufacturer

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the insight damo. Good to know the Mazdas are reliable, although in liking the sounds of the diesel engines more. I did pop into Toyota today and looked at a new kluger. Even the GXL model has some decent gear. No test drive but looked great
Old 17-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #36
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Thanks for the insight damo. Good to know the Mazdas are reliable, although in liking the sounds of the diesel engines more. I did pop into Toyota today and looked at a new kluger. Even the GXL model has some decent gear. No test drive but looked great
Mate I'm about 3 months ahead of you, my wife and I are looking at a 7 seater and we have driven the CX9, Outlander, new Kluger and Sorento. Didn't bother driving the Nissans, Jeep and Hyundais, sitting in them was enough for us to rule them out, just wasn't our thing.

CX9 we ruled out on lack of features for the money, nice quality and spacious though. Looks very nice on the outside too.

Outlander had great features for the money, probably best out of the lot but interior felt smaller and much cheaper than the rest. Head says yes, heart says no way in short.

Kluger probably had the nicest interior, but thirsty petrol engine and huge lack of power compared to the Sorento and Outlander ruled that out for me. As well as 3 year warranty as opposed to 5 and 7 years on other cheaper SUV's. Being the most expensive these were huge shortfalls. Best price we managed for a GXL was around 62k with tow bar, mats etc. Looks tough on the outside, but that wasn't enough to win me over.

Sorento is the one we have chosen, it's the end of the line for this shape with the new one coming out early next year with some nifty features, although the current one comes fully loaded (search family pack on Kia's website) and we've managed a price of $46,100 for a white one or $46,888 for a silver both brand spanking new, with a 7 year warranty I think that's unbeatable. The Diesel in the Sorento is great, very punchy and quiet too. The only diesel that I drove that really sounded like 1 was the Outlander.

Hope that helps mate.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #37
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Kluger is horrible, we had them as work cars before we got the territorys.

The Klugers are over powered death traps, i have no idea why they made them front wheel drive, in the wet the are damn right dangerous, they handle like a bus and the interior is way worse than the territory.

The Territory is so much better in every regard besides initial take off in the diesel. The diesel is very slow at take off but once the turbo kicks in it is fine. The interior is comfortable, the driver positioning is great and the handling isn't like a boat.

EDIT: if you were to buy a Kluger (i wouldn't) Pickles are selling them by the 100's. The government just changed to Territorys and there is plenty of Klugers being auctioned off. I know our ones were never flogged.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #38
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria View Post
Mate I'm about 3 months ahead of you, my wife and I are looking at a 7 seater and we have driven the CX9, Outlander, new Kluger and Sorento. Didn't bother driving the Nissans, Jeep and Hyundais, sitting in them was enough for us to rule them out, just wasn't our thing.

CX9 we ruled out on lack of features for the money, nice quality and spacious though. Looks very nice on the outside too.

Outlander had great features for the money, probably best out of the lot but interior felt smaller and much cheaper than the rest. Head says yes, heart says no way in short.

Kluger probably had the nicest interior, but thirsty petrol engine and huge lack of power compared to the Sorento and Outlander ruled that out for me. As well as 3 year warranty as opposed to 5 and 7 years on other cheaper SUV's. Being the most expensive these were huge shortfalls. Best price we managed for a GXL was around 62k with tow bar, mats etc. Looks tough on the outside, but that wasn't enough to win me over.

Sorento is the one we have chosen, it's the end of the line for this shape with the new one coming out early next year with some nifty features, although the current one comes fully loaded (search family pack on Kia's website) and we've managed a price of $46,100 for a white one or $46,888 for a silver both brand spanking new, with a 7 year warranty I think that's unbeatable. The Diesel in the Sorento is great, very punchy and quiet too. The only diesel that I drove that really sounded like 1 was the Outlander.

Hope that helps mate.
I agree totally with the above.
I recommended the Hyundai Santa Fe earlier over the Sorrento as it's been updated just recently to the new Hyundai look. Both are however excellent cars with identical running gear (engines and gearboxes). I'd be test driving both of them and see which one appeals to you the most.

I've read about several owners having issues with the DPF in Mazda 2.2 litre diesels too.

I do about 30,000kms a year so I also took in to account servicing period and costs too... most Japanese makes are still 10,000km servicing..

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 17-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #39
satria
FOXWHO

Forgot to mention the Kluger was FWD too, another massive shortfall. Rest were 4WD. 4WD Kluger was even more expensive, no thanks.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #40
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Satria that is very helpful thanks.

I guess I'll have to see the sorento in the flesh as the Kia tag is putting me off big time. Again, like the hyundai, they seem to have come good over the recent years but I know many people who hear of the 2 brands ruling them out instantly, I guess because of the tarnished name the older models (early 90s) gave them.

I can't believe the new kluger is fwd! I really liked the look of it. The last shape bored me to tears but the 2014 looks great and I actually found the interior to have some soul about it, which most Toyota lack.

So it's looking as though either the Santa fe or sorento are biggest contenders that fit my criteria. Again I hope the tarnish name doesn't effect my decision
Old 17-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

7 year warranty with Kia, if there is a problem it won't be your problem.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #42
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Satria that is very helpful thanks.

I guess I'll have to see the sorento in the flesh as the Kia tag is putting me off big time. Again, like the hyundai, they seem to have come good over the recent years but I know many people who hear of the 2 brands ruling them out instantly, I guess because of the tarnished name the older models (early 90s) gave them.

I can't believe the new kluger is fwd! I really liked the look of it. The last shape bored me to tears but the 2014 looks great and I actually found the interior to have some soul about it, which most Toyota lack.

So it's looking as though either the Santa fe or sorento are biggest contenders that fit my criteria. Again I hope the tarnish name doesn't effect my decision
I've owned about 25 new and used cars in my life, from Mercedes SLK to Astras and lots in between.
I have never been a badge fanboy/snob, always bought the car that was best for my needs at the time, and I can tell you now, don't write off the South Korean pair without looking at them and test driving with an open mind.
I can say, the Sportage (and the iX35 before it) are two of the best cars for designed purpose I have ever owned. My family and friends are surprised to hear me say this when they know the cars I've owned in the past.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 17-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #43
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Also too with these newer cars all being diesel, is it worth it for the compromise of the car sounding like truck??
Sounds like you have never been in a new Territory diesel. Do yourself a favor and go test one.

I went out to test drive the Territory Diesel and Hyundai Sante Fe Diesel. I went to Ford first and never made it too Hyundai. The Ford was just so comfortable, quiet and dare I say it..quick? The V6 and 6speed auto compliment each other perfectly.
Then a great deal was thrown on the table. They are popular for a reason.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #44
Danny
GT4.

Volvo XC60. You'd get a good 2nd hand one in your range. They look good, impeccable build quality, safe, and they actually look really good.

That's what I'd be looking at if I had a young family.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #45
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Boss has the Santa Fe, it gives you everything in first gear then dies in the bum.
The front seats are small and don't support you legs. Seats are as hard as ironing boards and I slide around on them too.I drive the thing with the seat right back and my knees still hit the steering wheel going from throttle to brake.

And being a cheep four wheel drive it bogs as soon as you drive it off road.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The time has come to start thinking about our next car. We currently have a 2008 FG XR6T which has been great, and I still love it. With 3 kids, 2 in school, and the wife nagging me about more space, it's time to get the dreaded 7 seater car!!! I've vowed never to buy a tarago but have found ourselves more frequently needed extra seats (when the kids pick up mates from school the 5 seater falcon only allows either my wife or myself to pick them up).

So the question I pose is, what is the best value 7 seater on the market???

I know this is a ford forum so I'm expecting people to say territory, but to be honest it bores me. The older model turbo ghias were perfect, but are too old now. I'm after a newer car (prob no older than 2012) that has 7 seats, has plenty of gear, and is about the $50k mark max.
Unfortunately there's not much out there that has the power of the xr6t but there has to be a compromise now. Maybe I'm getting old? Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.
i drove a newish tarago some years ago, and despite my lack of enthusiasm for fwd and people movers in general, i thought it actually drove surprisingly good, i did not get a highway run , but around the burbs, it was pretty good, heaps of room , from memory then it had the the torquer 2.6 L 4 potter and it went well enough and steered very flat........ very car like, probably better than some, very good vision, well equipped and comfy, i would imagine the newer ones would be same or better, it would be worth a look i think.
just had a bit of a look at the toyo site, here a brochure if your interested.

http://www.anthonysmithtoyota.com.au...-ebrochure.pdf

Last edited by mik; 17-11-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #47
lamborghinifan

Some hard hunting might get you near a q7...
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #48
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait for the Everest maybe.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #49
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interesting views guys I appreciate them all.

Danny that's another contender I havnt thought of. Don't see too many around I'll look it up.

I have looked at the older model Q7s before and the service costs and insurance was awful. A simple battery replacement is $700. A big hit for something simple that can commonly give way

With the territory thing, I have been in the passenger seat of a SZ (petrol though) but I wasn't a fan. Wasn't anything negative, just nothing stood out that wowed me over the FG.
Old 17-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #50
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting read on the Santa Fe. A 2015 SR badged model is soon to hit show rooms, with new wheels, suspension snd Brembo brakes. A may have to wait to see one of these first
Old 17-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #51
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Xc60 is not 7 seats afaik...you need to go to the xc90 which is a fine car but plagued with trans issues from what I read. The new XC90 is the bomb...but a $80k+ bomb apparently.

You can get the XC90 in a V8 though.....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #52
wranger

A low km XC90 V8 would be something I'd consider.
Don't sound too shabby either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDtrCxpKKI

Otherwise I'd do my best to wait for the Everest.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #53
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai are about to release a sporty version of the Santa Fe, the Santa Fe SR. Bigger alloys, brembos etc, bit more than 50g, but sounds right up your alley. Don't forget Kia Sorento, same car under the skin as Santa Fe, 7 year unlimited km warranty
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #54
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

First up, there is no real point in comparing the driving experience of a 7 seater with an XR6T!
Perhaps its time to say bye-bye to power & speed on tap and g'day to torque and the ability
to drive over a traffic island if you need to... Both experiences have their merits!

For my suggestion, it is one more vote for the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Kia Sorrento. I have
driven a late model diesel Sorrento and was quite impressed. I tend to like the look
of the latest Santa Fe the best, but as sister companies these cars share their
engineering.

I have read of diesel DPF problems with Mazda and Subaru, but not particularly
with Hyundai or Kia. DPF issues can be a very expensive fix, so the longer
warranties offered by the Korean marques would be well worth it in my opinion.
It may be worth your while to research a little about modern diesel engines,
DPF maintenance, driving styles for extended urban use and burn-off cycles etc.

All the best with the next car search!

Edit:
There is plenty available to read about DPF isuues etc...
It would seem from this article that the Santa Fe does not run a DPF, but that
may or may not be correct. Anyway, the info here does canvas the main
points of DPF design and maintenance.
Refer:
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-ca...cle-filter-dpf

Last edited by EB#; 18-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

DPFs are a pain in the ***, if I had a car with a DPF, instead of replacing it at massive cost I'd cut it out and flash it out of ECU so it can GGF.
Old 18-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #56
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want seven seats you can buy design for purpose people mover or like most do SUV that has seven seats . So it is a question of whether function is more important than fashion. These days fashion is everything ....
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I've read, You want 7 seats, don't want a Van appearance, You want Performance, You don't want old, or expensive to repair, you want under 50K.

I think you know already you need to compromise somewhere.

Your only option is a Petrol RWD 7 seat Territory,
All other 7 seat SUV's are considerably slower, or worth twice the money.
but bear in mind its 3rd row has no leg room, so maybe consider the new Pathfinder with a set of mags
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #58
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

What about a disco? Could be expensive if something goes wrong but I have a mate who loves his. Or even a mux or Colorado 7.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #59
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
From what I've read, You want 7 seats, don't want a Van appearance, You want Performance, You don't want old, or expensive to repair, you want under 50K.

I think you know already you need to compromise somewhere.

Your only option is a Petrol RWD 7 seat Territory,
All other 7 seat SUV's are considerably slower, or worth twice the money.
but bear in mind its 3rd row has no leg room, so maybe consider the new Pathfinder with a set of mags
Nobody's mentioned the key point about the Territory. Do you like driving? Do you still want to feel good in the driver's seat after hours on the road? For its class, Territory is a driver's car par excellence, bar none. The bonus is that it has all that space, practicality and comfort thrown in as well.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
Sioso
irregular member

What about a Mercedes R500, I think they are a 6 seater, stopped making/selling them a few years ago but may be a low k example around.
Might sound great with a set pipes!
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post