Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Bmw m4

Hi guys

I've been lucky enough to have had the keys of an MY15 M4 7 Speed DCT for an arvo.

Pics and review to come.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Hi guys

I've been lucky enough to have had the keys of an MY15 M4 7 Speed DCT for an arvo.

Pics and review to come.
Interested in hearing what your take on the fake engine note being pumped into the cabin is like. Many hate it and I can remember BMW I6 engines sounded glorious, particularly the E46 M3 / CSL.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Hi guys.

I did manage to drive the M4 yesterday afternoon, but have been flat out and haven't had the time to update this thread.

As posted above the vehicle was a MY15 (November '14 build) F82 M4 7-speed M-DCT. It had only travelled 13,000km and a quick check of the tyres revealed that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres were already close to the wear indicators and that both front and rear tyres were worn on the inner edges, suggesting that it's running some reasonable negative camber from factory.

I had a good look around the vehicle before jumping in it, just to absorb the beauty and craftsmanship of this vehicle's gorgeous lines. Looks are very subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder - in this case however, I'm besotted. Contrary to many, I think that the latest 4-Series is a good looker, with the M4 being no exception.

As I hopped in to the driver's seat I was greeted with an almost equal level of beauty from the interior. It appears that beauty isn't just metal deep in the case of this M4. My first impressions after never having been in a 4-Series or current 3-Series was "wow - this is fantastc".

Without further ado, I hit the starter button button and fired up three litres of twin turbocharged straight-six goodness. I adjusted the seat, mirrors and even had a play with the sat nav before heading for the hills on one of my many familiar routes.

Familiarising myself with the controls came easily. Everything was easyish to use, athough I'm sure that given more time I may have been able to uncover a few more functions which I otherwise didn't discover.

In terns of the interior, I bave to say that overall everything just worked well. The stereo was fantastic and the radio was DAB+, something which to the best of my knowledge was lacking on the Lexus. There were SD card slots, USB ports and an easy-to-use dial knob to rotate through all of the fuctions.

The seats were quite hard, but the seatig position was great. The steering wheel was fantastic and some of the soft touch materials used felt very classy. The navigation was absolutely superb and as visually appealing as Audi's navigation software.

I cannot really fault it, other than to say that the seat didn't seem to go back very far. Even with a 10cm gap between the back seat, the adjustment seemed to stop in its tracks, literally. It wasn't a problem for me as I'm only 5'11" tall; anyone significantly over 6'0" would perhaps find it slightly cramped, however.

Interior: 9/10

Okay, so I'm going to back to that point when I first had my foot on the brake and pressed the slightly hidden (behind the steering wheel) starter button. The engine fired to life effortlessly and barked a course growl for a few seconds before it settled and found its baseline idle. The engine was completely cold, with subsequent engine starts at operating temp revealing that it isn't quite as gruff starting as when it's cold.

As I went to take off I noticed that the shifter was unlike any conventional shifter I'd used prior. There was no defined P, or park position for the shifter to sit. In order to move the shifter needs to be shifted to the side where D and R can be toggled upwards or downwards.

As I moved the shfter into D (the position of the shifter doesn't actually change), I let my foot off the brake and found that there is pretty much no idle speed whatsoever - a seemingly characteristic trait of a dual clutch transmission.

I gave it a bit off throttle and was surprised just how responsive the vehicle was to slight throttle inputs. I drove around the slow suburban roads familiarising myself with the car's character. It was evident that while driving around the engine's mannerisms and exhaust note was quite sedate. I set the vehicle to 'Sport Plus' in anticipation of the fast approaching hills.

I exited the Freeway and took the turn at Devil's Elbow (Google it) before exiting that corner with fervour. I opened her up for the first time and was taken aback at the sheer ferocity at which this vehicle accelerated! It was an absolute jet with gob fulls of mid-range torque.

What was even more astonishing was the fact that this engine pulled so hard all the way to a high 6K redline that you almost forget it's a turbo - until it changes gears and you get that mid-range thrust once again.

This is a power plant which strikes an amazing balance between being a screamer, yet having a massive amount of torque to boot. Even down low the boost spooled up very quickly to the point where the lag was almost unnoticeable. One can only wonder how glorious Ferrari's new TT powerplant in the 488 would be!

The only negative I have, and I emphasise that it's only a slight negative, was the engine note. Not as intrusive as some vehicles was the fake engine noise plumbed through the speakers of the vehicle (see MK7 Golf R for a horrible example of this), but it's artificially derived sound was only slightly audible. The engine's note itself was quite different to a Falcon Turbo 6, louder by default and coarser, but almost in a good way. It was characterful, but not overly bad.

Overall, my opinion of the engine is one which is something of a piece of art. From the gorgeous and functional water-to-air intercooler setup (see pics below of the head exchanger mounted on on top of the cam cover), to its brutal shove mid-range to its sonourous roar at high revs, this powerplant is an absolute gem!

Engine: 9.5/10

After establishing that the tyres were not of the best condition, and keeping that in mind throughout my drive, I was unsure of jjst how compromised the setup would be. However much it was compromised, it didn't seem to matter. This thing handled like it was on rails; an often used cliché in automotive circles, this thing felt like it literally did!

As with the amazing handling and grip of this thing, it also felt rather lithe. The ease with which this thing can be chucked around was surprising. It felt lighter than it is losted at (1,560kg IIRC).

The steering felt heavier as the speed increased, which was great. It was light and easy to use at low speeds, yet at the limit it bad good feeling and communication. It didn't jerk with slight inputs, it was solid and planted but when you needed the front wheels to turn with haste you'd move the wheel and the vehicle was almost telepathic in how it would move.

This car was so easy to drive at the limit; it was so predictable in where the nose would point when you turned the wheel. It never understeered yet I could feel that with the T/C switched off, I'd easily be able to induce a comfortably controlled power oversteer at will.

For those whom which harsh suspensions rides are undesirable, I'd recommend steering clear of an M4. Even in Normal mode this thing had a pretty hard suspension setup. In Sport plus it was obviously even moreso. I personally loved it and didn't find it uncomfortable at all, but it's overall ride especially over crap Australian roads is probably not for the faint hearted!

As far as the brakes are concerned, this M4 was fitted with the "standard" brake package with steel rotors. They worked very well and didn't even once feel like they were going to fade or lose their bite. They pulled the M4 up time and again effortlessly. Seriously, unless you were going to use this thing as a track weapon, I wouldn't waste my time and significant expense optioning up the ceramic rotor package.

Dynamics: 9/10

To summarise this vehicle I really only need to use one word; brilliant. In almost every way this car is faultless. From the seemingly unflappable driving dynamics, to the torquey screaming brute of a powerplant and the faultless quality fit and finish of the interior, this vehicle has winners on every line.

Only thr harshest critic could attempt to undermine anything about this vehicle; it's just such an all-round superstar that's packaged perfectly to strike a balance between a road-go8ng warrior one minute, with the class and luxury you'd expect from this Bavarian beast.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Last edited by Cobra; 08-08-2016 at 07:39 PM.
8 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Cobra, your havinga good time by the look of it !
Good reviews of some high end machines.
Haven't driven a M4 but it doesn't surprise me from your experience how good they are.
Bimmer have finally come back after a number of years in the doldrums.
I had the pleasure being in a M2 not long ago, to say I was impressed is an under statement, bloody marvelous !
Are there more tests coming up ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Hi guys.

As I went to take off I noticed that the shifter was unlike any conventional shifter I'd used prior. There was no defined P, or park position for the shifter to sit. In order to move the shifter needs to be shifted to the side where D and R can be toggled upwards or downwards.

BMW has been using this shifter across their models for a while, I have to admit the first time I jumped in one I spent a minute or so scratching my head.

Nice write up, I see it comes in the traditional Mercedes-Benz silver grey.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Cobra, your havinga good time by the look of it !
Good reviews of some high end machines.
Haven't driven a M4 but it doesn't surprise me from your experience how good they are.
Bimmer have finally come back after a number of years in the doldrums.
I had the pleasure being in a M2 not long ago, to say I was impressed is an under statement, bloody marvelous !
Are there more tests coming up ?
G'day Maurie.

Yeah, it's been fun indeed. It's good to have mates in the right places!

I've managed to get my hands on all sorts of amazing machinery over the last couple of years. I haven't been very active on the forums for quite some time, but I thought I'd pop in and share my experiences from an everyday bloke's perspective, given that I'm lucky enough to have access to such amazing vehicles from time to time.

I'm not really sure what else is in the pipeline - in recent times I've driven an Audi RS5, Maserati GranTurismo, Jaguar F-Type S, Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Audi R8 4.2 FSI - with the latter two sporting 6-speed cog swappers. I'd love to get my hands on a new C63 AMG S! Here's hoping!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
BMW has been using this shifter across their models for a while, I have to admit the first time I jumped in one I spent a minute or so scratching my head.

Nice write up, I see it comes in the traditional Mercedes-Benz silver grey.
It's certainly a bit different, that's for sure! What also tripped me out was that there's no park function with the engine running; you literally have to put it in neutral with the handbrake on if you don't want to turn the engine off. It goes into "park" on its own when the engine is switched off.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
It's certainly a bit different, that's for sure! What also tripped me out was that there's no park function with the engine running; you literally have to put it in neutral with the handbrake on if you don't want to turn the engine off. It goes into "park" on its own when the engine is switched off.
This is my wife’s X4 XDrive 20d and it has the same setup.

For the first few days when I’d go to drive it I’d have think about what I needed to do and how to interact with the electronic parking brake as it was so different to anything I was used to.

Now though it’s just second nature but I still do prefer the more common traditional shifters.

2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
I'd love to get my hands on a new C63 AMG S! Here's hoping!
I've got one on order.

If you can get your hands on one for a test drive it'll show you how differently the various prestige Euros setup their performance cars.

They're all pretty good but they're all different and in the end it's all about what suits your style and personality.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I've got one on order.

If you can get your hands on one for a test drive it'll show you how differently the various prestige Euros setup their performance cars.

They're all pretty good but they're all different and in the end it's all about what suits your style and personality.
Are you getting the sedan or coupe?
Old 16-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
This is my wife’s X4 XDrive 20d and it has the same setup.

For the first few days when I’d go to drive it I’d have think about what I needed to do and how to interact with the electronic parking brake as it was so different to anything I was used to.

Now though it’s just second nature but I still do prefer the more common traditional shifters.

The M4 still uses a conventional handbrake setep. I was grateful for that! I'm not a fan of the electronic handbrakes VW/Audi and Landrover have adopted.
Old 16-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Are you getting the sedan or coupe?
Sedan, the extra doors make it easier if I have passengers though both are pretty short on rear leg room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
The M4 still uses a conventional handbrake setep. I was grateful for that! I'm not a fan of the electronic handbrakes VW/Audi and Landrover have adopted.
I'd much rather have a conventional handbrake as well, there are times when being able to ease the brake off has its advantages.

It irritates me having it in my Ute.
Old 18-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About the seat travel...next time try the passenger seat and see if it goes back further.
Volvo's do that and it's a leftover of being a LHD design. Everything else in the conversion seems perfect including the hand brake being on the right but for some reason the seat tracks are always wrong.

I've had this over multiple model years going all the way back to the mid 80's.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As my BMW mechanic says "it's only a car after all".

I can only say that they do "only a car" very well indeed!
Old 19-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice cars but I still can't warm to the interior, especially the old fashioned dash cluster. Mercedes got this right with the C class.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

I totally agree with you Duaned. Although I hate all these bloody screens just sitting up on the dash. Looks tacky, but that is how they have all gone! ��

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Nice cars but I still can't warm to the interior, especially the old fashioned dash cluster. Mercedes got this right with the C class.
That's down to personal taste. I find MB interiors cold and sterile. The BMW interior gives the nod to tradition and all the things I like and remember about the best cars many years ago. Mercedes also abandoned their traditional grille and replaced it with that hideous aggressive thing, while BMW has retained their tradtional grille. I saw a C class with the old MB grille recently and it was a thing of beauty. MB has gone the wrong direction imho but there's a section of the market that obviously likes that.

The controls in BMWs are actually very well placed ergonomically. Whether the screen is on the dash or in it I think comes down to internal space. Generally I think on the smaller cars with the thinner dash it's on top. On the cars with the thicker dash (see the X4 photo above) it's incorporated in the dash.
Old 19-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome write up, thanks for sharing Cobra, hopefully we get some more of these write ups in future.

Agree with you on Hand Brakes... I much prefer the manual ones... My Mazda has an electric one and It just bloody annoys me.... Don't get me started on my Wifes car with a bloody foot hand brake...lol

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
That always puzzled me with the BMW. They all look pretty much the same.

Have been seeing more M4's on the road recently, they sound horn, they look horn, the dash wouldn't slow me down if I had the cash.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post