Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #121
Angeldust

Default Re: Motor Mag July: XR8 Sprint vs XR6 Sprint vs SSV Redline vs Mustang GT

Adding weight to your car? haha .. New law: If at anytime you are at a dragstrip and about to run a commodore, then the driver of the ford must accept the spare tyre from the boot of the commodore for all fairness sake.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #122

Cool Re: Motor Mag July: XR8 Sprint vs XR6 Sprint vs SSV Redline vs Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
Adding weight to your car? haha .. New law: If at anytime you are at a dragstrip and about to run a commodore, then the driver of the ford must accept the spare tyre from the boot of the commodore for all fairness sake.
No rear spare tyre for the commodore?
But wont that missing moment of a force and the missing leverage over its' back axles more than likely make the commodore's rear tyres go up in a cloud of smoke? LOL
208260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Motor Mag July: XR8 Sprint vs XR6 Sprint vs SSV Redline vs Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post

No, sorry I'm having none of that.

When they meet in real world conditions on the road with quite a lot more weight than a 1/4 tank, in all fairness they both have to shed weight and the Ford isn't allowed to run at the high grip Calder Dragstrip where it can look good.

But seriously as I indicated, it's to the Commodores credit that it handled the low grip conditions and the Ford couldn't, simple as that.

But I'm thinking it would be good if Motor also acceleration tested cars with passengers on board, readers would get a better overall picture.

Last edited by 2242100; 18-06-2016 at 02:06 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #124
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Moral of the story. Only race with a full tank and fresh tyres. All other times pretend to be tuning the radio. Oh and definitely make sure overboost is working. We don't want to have to come up with 3 excuses
This.

It is all about tyres, these are media cars and are flogged mercilessly.
You can guarantee Fords inept marketing dept would never fit a new set for every drag, the motor mags certainly won't.

The same F1 car can be 5 seconds faster or slower around a track depending on tyre condition alone.

I can't get wheelspin on my XR8 when the tyres are new. I can't stop wheelspinning once the tyres are worn, let alone utterly shagged.
It's not rocket science.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #125
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

ok so put in the order for the next comparo:
  • Cars must race at Calder
  • cars must have more than 1/4 tank of fuel
  • runs must have a passenger
  • tyres cannot be too worn
  • temperature must be below 20 degrees ambient
  • both must have same transmission

Anything else?

What would be the excuse if the results are consistent with those happening now?
Old 18-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #126
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did I say anything about your 5 other points?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #127
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Where did I say anything about your 5 other points?
Not directed at you, in general.
Old 18-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #128
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
ok so put in the order for the next comparo:
  • Cars must race at Calder
  • cars must have more than 1/4 tank of fuel
  • runs must have a passenger
  • tyres cannot be too worn
  • temperature must be below 20 degrees ambient
  • both must have same transmission

Anything else?

What would be the excuse if the results are consistent with those happening now?
Nothing , there would be silence....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #129
JDSOTI

Guys you missed the most obvious. All the colours must be the same!
JDSOTI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #130
Big_Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSOTI View Post
Guys you missed the most obvious. All the colours must be the same!
Of course if Ford released a red Sprint it wold have to be quicker
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #131
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK so being realistic, what would people like to see?

I would want...

Both cars on new OEM tyres.
Whatever transmission is fastest be it auto or manual for respective manufacturers.
Traction Controls on.
Not a dragstrip. (for real world performance)
*IF* there is any run-in protection it's expired.
Fuel loads, pax, luggage etc should be a given.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Not directed at you, in general.
I guess I might likely have been included, but my main point is that if the cars are tested both light and heavy, which covers more real world situations, then readers get a better overall picture.

Do we want to see the most accurate picture, or do we just want to see one particular car win?

We all view some things differently, but I think that's hard to argue with.

Last edited by 2242100; 18-06-2016 at 07:29 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #133
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
I guess I might likely have been included, but my main point is that if the cars are tested both light and heavy, which covers more real world situations, then readers get a better overall picture.

We all see things differently but I think that's hard to argue with.
I've seen manual v auto. Wet conditions or dry conditions. Roll on and stop start. The result is always the same.

Who cares anyway.
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #134

Cool Re: Motor Mag July: XR8 Sprint vs XR6 Sprint vs SSV Redline vs Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
OK so being realistic, what would people like to see?

I would want...

Both cars on new OEM tyres.
Whatever transmission is fastest be it auto or manual for respective manufacturers.
Traction Controls on.
Not a dragstrip. (for real world performance)
*IF* there is any run-in protection it's expired.
Fuel loads, pax, luggage etc should be a given.
And the added 1 or 2 passengers for each car, must sit in identical seating positions in both cars, and be the same weight, hopefully around 80 kgs each.
If one of the passengers is too skinny and happens to weigh as little as a race horse jockey, quickly add weight to his belt and pockets as ballast to even things up! LOL
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #135
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The only real world testing in my opinion is when I'm behind the wheel.

Tell the journos to bring them all around to my place and I'll give each a fang and that way I won't misinterpret what's going on.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 03:11 AM   #136
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Skill comes from experience. Usually the more you do something the better you become at it. It takes along time to learn to be able to drive or ride fast well. Most people think they can, but it's the first split second decision that seperates the two
true up to a point, but not always , if you look at figures supplied over the years on various well known cars by some of these highly skilled car journo`s , often they seem all over the place .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 03:26 AM   #137
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I know a few of the car journos, as I am a bike journo. And I can tell you any of those guys with the experience they have are probably in the top 1 percentile of driver skill, and of course when it comes to experience, well it is even more exclusive.

If any of you blokes think these guys are hopeless then get your hand off it.

I have done a few FPV drive days (the occasion when I myself bought my 3 new FPVs) when new FPV owners hit the track for the first time, and to be honest the skill level is borderline frightening. I am generally agog at how crap most of the buyers of our cars are at driving.

So sorry, when I see, the abuse car journos get from people that have NFI, I say question yourself first. I reckon the worst car journo in existence would run rings around 99 per cent of the people on this forum, in any test, on any track, in any conditions. Well from what I have seen from FPV drive days that's my two cents.
No doubt there will be some very good and some not so good regardless of experience , when you look at the performance figures of these cars over the years , at times you have to wonder what the hell is going on ,
why is it a stocker non turbo 200 kw xr6 can get down the quarter in high to mid 14`s and a super charged v8 they have trouble getting into low 13`s in a car that has a huge advantage in torque and power and when its all said and done is only a little bit heavier when power to weight is taken into consideration.
plenty of owners seem to manage to get stockers down the strip in better times , and this isnt just a one off , its been more the trend it seems .
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #138
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Bottom line is....and I did read the article...that all four cars are pretty good jiggers..there's not a lot between them all and in every day driving that all four will spend the vast majority of their lives doing. They'll all be great to own..
Regardless of which car came out on top , by any measure other than the Stang they won't be around to buy for much longer so enjoy them when and while you can..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #139

Smile Re: Motor Mag July: XR8 Sprint vs XR6 Sprint vs SSV Redline vs Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
No doubt there will be some very good and some not so good regardless of experience , when you look at the performance figures of these cars over the years , at times you have to wonder what the hell is going on ,
why is it a stocker non turbo 200 kw xr6 can get down the quarter in high to mid 14`s and a super charged v8 they have trouble getting into low 13`s in a car that has a huge advantage in torque and power and when its all said and done is only a little bit heavier when power to weight is taken into consideration.
plenty of owners seem to manage to get stockers down the strip in better times , and this isnt just a one off , its been more the trend it seems .
A stock Fakcon is unlikely to waste any power in wheelspin. I had a stock 302 windsor powered falcon. If i revved it up and dumped the clutch it would spin 1st, 2nd and chirp into third. Quarter mile time would then be 16.6 seconds! If I modulated the clutch and fed the power in, it would not continue to spin anywhere near as much in the other gears. Result: 15.1 second! That's 1.5 seconds faster! Bottom line is you can waste even up to almost 2 seconds in wheelspin. So It's all about getting all the power to the ground effeciently!
Stock falcons do it very well, especially when They are 6 speed ZF auotmatics!
Old 19-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #140
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208260 View Post
A stock Fakcon is unlikely to waste any power in wheelspin. I had a stock 302 windsor powered falcon. If i revved it up and dumped the clutch it would spin 1st, 2nd and chirp into third. Quarter mile time would then be 16.6 seconds! If I modulated the clutch and fed the power in, it would not continue to spin anywhere near as much in the other gears. Result: 15.1 second! That's 1.5 seconds faster! Bottom line is you can waste even up to almost 2 seconds in wheelspin. So It's all about getting all the power to the ground effeciently!
Stock falcons do it very well, especially when They are 6 speed ZF auotmatics!
yeah i get that , but this is not 1970 , all these modern cars have traction control , decent size tyres , and have buttery smooth efficient transmissions ,and some have launch control .
Old 19-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #141
Big_Damo

Well just picked up a copy of the mag
Looking forward to reading it so please no spoilers
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post