Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #31
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May wanna update yourself on roundabout rules as well :p

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Anyone been booked for this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
its my pet hate, always been a no no in nsw and i have nfi why so many think its ok to do it & then abuse me who's legally turning left on a green arrow.
And this new thing i am seeing more & more, people with a green light & right of way to go straight ahead, stopping & waiting for the oncoming traffic to turn right.
Are road rules not actually tested anymore?

not a go at you buggerlugs but have nearly lost the front of my car more times than i can remember in the last 3 years
I had this exact same thing happen to me on Victoria Road at Ermington except the fellow slammed into the side of my car and T-Boned me.

He got out and went mental at me for not giving way to him while he did the U-Turn at the lights.

I wasn’t expecting him to turn and in fact didn’t even see him until he was about to hit me.

Even the Cops from the station 50 metres away had trouble trying to calm him down and accept it was he who had broken the law and not me.

When they issued him with a fine that helped get it into his head.

And there I was thinking it had been a law for so long everyone in NSW would know you can’t make a U-Turn at the lights.

I still occasionally see people doing it.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #33
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

And to further complicate the matter -

I could be a foreign citizen, on a foreign drivers licence, and quite legally drive anywhere in Australia on that licence, except I have to follow the road rules applicable in that state.
In many states of America, the minimum age where you can quite legally get a solo drivers licence, is 14yrs old.

Or if an Australian female of legal driving age and a valid licence, went to Saudi Arabia, I'd be interested to know what would happen.
Apparently Saudi females legally, aren't allowed to drive. (but can hold a drivers licence)

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 03:08 AM   #34
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

i reckon its only just come in in sa in the last few years that you can do u turns at lights at selected intersections...hasnt it?
i reckon ive done it once or twice at the saints road, main north road intersection?
somewhere around there

has always been a no no anytime in sa until now
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #35
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
i reckon its only just come in in sa in the last few years that you can do u turns at lights at selected intersections...hasnt it?
i reckon ive done it once or twice at the saints road, main north road intersection?
somewhere around there

has always been a no no anytime in sa until now
Thats the only intersection i've seen with a sign, but i'm told there are a few more down south. And yes, its only a few years since thats been allowed.

Its allowed there as there is no direct turning lane for the oncoming traffic (to your right) so theres no risk of getting T-Bned like what happened to Express.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
This is news to me I thought you couldn't chuck them at specifically marked intersections with no u turn permitted indicated?

I'm pretty sure here in Vic you can do U-turns at intersections but just not at ones specifically signed not permitted.
Yeah thats my understanding while in VIC although QLD is different...in many ways
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #37
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
This is the problem with people who got their licence by driving round the block with the local copper who plays on their old man's cricket team.

You can tell me about experience all you like, but without knowledge of the proper road rules, problems occur.

Not having a go at you in particular buggerlugs, just a general observation.
Um, I didn't even drive round the block but I knew it!
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #38
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If theres no one there, I do it anyway in states where you are not allowed. I am not blind, so its not dangerous in anyway.

I am from Vic, so do u'ys all the time at lights. Never seen it to be a problem here.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #39
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

U turn at traffic lights

Ahhhhh, that takes me back.
This was my first ever traffic fine and offence.
Good times.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #40
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I am from Vic, so do u'ys all the time at lights. Never seen it to be a problem here.
As said before, it is legal in Vic to do a u-turn at any set of traffic lights except sign-posted otherwise. As I understand it, all other states are the opposite.

IIRC, when the road rules were "nationalised", this is one of the rules that could not be agreed upon between the states, and hence we have the situation we have.

Kind of reminds me of the days when, in Vic, a car (A) turning right at an intersection had right of way over a car (B) travelling in the other direction that was turning left, ie car A turned across the intersection before car B. It was quite common to have accidents in Merimbula from the clash of road rules followed by the visiting Victorians and the local NSWelshman. Glad that one was standardised (plus it never made sense to have the car with right of way potentially crossing across the path of oncoming traffic....)

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #41
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Best way to get out of it is. Make sure you light them up all the way down the street after said u turn. Usually the u turn will be forgotten.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I done the turn in my work truck. It wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding let alone "light them up" !!
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #43
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Should of called it an n turn not u turn.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #44
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
What state?
you won't get booked in Victoria for doing a U turn at traffic lights unless there is a sign forbidding U turns, which isn't very often
Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I had this exact same thing happen to me on Victoria Road at Ermington except the fellow slammed into the side of my car and T-Boned me.

He got out and went mental at me for not giving way to him while he did the U-Turn at the lights.

I wasn’t expecting him to turn and in fact didn’t even see him until he was about to hit me.

Even the Cops from the station 50 metres away had trouble trying to calm him down and accept it was he who had broken the law and not me.

When they issued him with a fine that helped get it into his head.

And there I was thinking it had been a law for so long everyone in NSW would know you can’t make a U-Turn at the lights.

I still occasionally see people doing it.
as of 1999 when doing a U Turn (in any State I am sure) you must give way to ALL vehicles, even if people are facing stop or give way signs on intersecting roads, you must give way to them before doing a U turn
Old 04-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #46
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Was sitting at the lights waiting to do a U-Turn. Police were on the opposite side waiting to do a right hand turn. Traffic cleared, I made my you turn, Police put on the "Angry" lights and booked me for doing a U-Turn without a sign saying so !! Is this common knowledge or have I been living under a rock ?
Common knowledge, it is illegal to do a U turn at any intersection controlled by traffic lights unless there is a sign permitting it. Also completely illegal to do a U turn across un broken line which you see heaps of QLD drivers do when they do the old left turn at lights, U turn across white lines and left turn at lights all in order to get through a red light.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #47
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Common knowledge, it is illegal to do a U turn at any intersection controlled by traffic lights unless there is a sign permitting it.
Except in Vic. I know that is being pedantic, but it is possible that Victorians travelling in other states may not realise the law is the opposite outside of their home state.....

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #48
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

WA Legislation http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

Quote:
Division 4 — U turns
30. U turns on carriageway
(1) A driver shall not make a U turn if a “no U turn” sign applies to the portion of carriageway on or at which he or she intends to make that U turn.
No U turn signs
No U turn sign
(Standard sign)
(circle and slash in red) No U turn sign
(Variable illuminated message sign)
(circle and slash illuminated in red)

(2) A “no U turn” sign on a carriageway (except a “no U turn” sign at an intersection or at a break in a median strip) applies to the length of carriageway beginning at the sign and ending at the nearer of the following —
(a) the next intersection;
(b) if the carriageway ends at a T intersection or dead end — the end of the carriageway.
(3) A “no U turn” sign at an intersection or at a break in a median strip applies to that intersection or break when a driver approaches the intersection or median break from the direction in which the sign is facing.
[Regulation 30 amended in Gazette 22 Dec 2006 p. 5819.]
31. U turns at intersection
(1) A driver shall not make a U turn at an intersection without traffic control signals if a “no U turn” sign at the intersection applies to that driver.
No U turn signs
No U turn sign
(Standard sign)
(circle and slash in red) No U turn sign
(Variable illuminated message sign)
(circle and slash illuminated in red)

(2) A driver shall not make a U turn at an intersection with traffic control signals unless the U turn is permitted by the traffic control signals or there is a “U turn permitted” sign at the intersection that applies to that driver.
U turn permitted sign

[Regulation 31 amended in Gazette 22 Dec 2006 p. 5819; 18 Sep 2009 p. 3627.]
32. U turns generally
(1) A driver shall not commence a U turn unless —
(a) the turn can be made with safety and without interfering with the movement of other traffic; and
(b) the driver has a clear view of any approaching traffic.
(2) A driver making a U turn shall give way to all vehicles and pedestrians.
(3) A driver making a U turn shall commence the U turn —
(a) if the carriageway where the driver is turning has a dividing line or median strip — from the lane nearest, or as near as practicable, to the dividing line or median strip; or
(b) in any other case — from the left of the centre of the carriageway.
Example
Starting a U turn on a two way carriageway with a median strip
Old 04-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Except in Vic. I know that is being pedantic, but it is possible that Victorians travelling in other states may not realise the law is the opposite outside of their home state.....

Craig H
Except the OP is a resident of QLD, so really this point is irrelevant to the post. Besides that the onus is on the individual to make themselves aware of the road law in which they are driving, ignorance is not considered a reasonable excuse.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #50
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was in a car being driven by my cousin, and we were stopped at lights turning left onto a fairly large road (QLD by the way). As we got a green turn arrow the drivers tuning right into the street we were leaving also got a green turn arrow. So we start to move, and the first driver turning right does an illegal U turn, almost crashes into my cousin who took evasive action, then proceeded to abuse us. I jumped out of the car and he took off. Too many people think they are in the right when they are totally in the wrong.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #51
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post

Craig H
True. Its different down here in Vic. https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...-rules/turning
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #52
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Except the OP is a resident of QLD, so really this point is irrelevant to the post. Besides that the onus is on the individual to make themselves aware of the road law in which they are driving, ignorance is not considered a reasonable excuse.
Yeah, but I'm originally from Victoria. Surely I should be let off because of that
Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #53
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm originally from Victoria. Surely I should be let off because of that
For that sin (from Vic) alone another 20 years.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #54
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I've never been booked for doing a U-Turn because it's assumed that it's legal unless there's a sign saying "NO U-Turn".
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
This is news to me I thought you couldn't chuck them at specifically marked intersections with no u turn permitted indicated?

I'm pretty sure here in Vic you can do U-turns at intersections but just not at ones specifically signed not permitted.
You are correct Damo.

From Vicroads Road rules

Making a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights if there is a no U-turn sign at the intersection.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 AM   #56
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You are correct Damo.

From Vicroads Road rules

Making a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights if there is a no U-turn sign at the intersection.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
I wonder if the traffic light signals are different in victoria. There is a post a little up this page about someone doing a U turn (illegally in QLD) nearly hitting a car with a turn left arrow. I've had that happen to me too.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #57
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

A U-turn at traffic lights (or any intersection for that matter) without signage specifically permitting it in QLD is illegal.

Doesn't stop anyone though. Cops included.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #58
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
No, I've never been booked for doing a U-Turn because it's assumed that it's legal unless there's a sign saying "NO U-Turn".

Not at lights, and only in victoria if there is no sign forbidding it

Irish2, that happens to be (exactly like that) at least once a week. Does my head in

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #59
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I wonder if the traffic light signals are different in victoria. There is a post a little up this page about someone doing a U turn (illegally in QLD) nearly hitting a car with a turn left arrow. I've had that happen to me too.
Nope lights are the same, refer to Trevor57's post regarding the fact that anyone doing a U-turn in Vic has to give way to "ALL" other road users.
So if someone is turning left the u-turner has to give way. What it usually results in is the person doing a U-turn holding up all the traffic behind them trying to turn right.....unless its a big intersection and there is enough room for the u-turner to get out of the way.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post