Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
FordFan86
meow

Default Exam Results

Just wondering how many uni bums (tm) we have on AFF and have just completed mid semesters for their topics?
One of mine is assesed over the entire year.
The others were
Chemistry: Credit
Biology: Credit
Legal: Credit
Maths: Fail
I failed maths miserably, however most of the people in my course opted out of it for intro maths. Atleast I gave it a shot, learnt a bit and will repeat it whenever I can find the time (the only loss here was my time, and $30 for text notes, as opposed to $800+ for the other subjects, free education anyone??).
Legal, a solid credit.
Chem and Bio, a bit more work and I should be sitting on a decent distinction mark.
Been told I should be doing Psychology/proffesional English type courses, so not bad considering lol.
For the adults/those not in the know. Basic markings are Fail (<49%), Pass(50-64%), Credit(65-74%), Distinction(75-84%), High Distinction(85-100%). Corresponds roughly to A, B ,C, D, E (F).
Good night and goodluck.

FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
McobraR
me may my mo

Yep, i do BA in Architecture at UTS.
i get my marks tomoro, i reckon i failed my exam for office prac. but overall, i think i only needed about 30% for that exam to pass the whole subject since i got distinctions for my other assessments, fingers crossed tho.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Well Done

Taking into account you spent most of your time on the forums rather than studying!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
FordFan86
meow

Thanks for that Gary, too true. Need to break this habit.
McobraR: Goodluck, but that was the mentality I had for maths. It doesn't work, do the best you can and don't rely on "Oh I got a HD for all the other things, I can just wing the final exam" because it will backfire 9 times out of 10.

For anyone wondering I'm studying (a mouthful) Bacheleor of Technology in Forensic and Analytical Chemistry. With a double degree in BIE (Business & Innovation Enterprises) or something rather, extra year onto study and an extra degree; why not?
Old 18-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
XRchic
Hello

Good stuff James! Those results are really good! Those who have gone to Uni probably know that a LOT of people fail at least one subject in their first year, and usually a subject easier than maths, so dont worry too much about that - the main thing is, as you said, learning from it and keeping on going!

If you need a hand with anything, let me know mate, Ive done all of those subjects at Uni level. A credit for chemistry is no small achievement, plenty fail that subject at Uni so you should be proud of yourself! Same with biology.

Psych is good, maybe you should think about that too!

You are well on the way mate, well done!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
McobraR: Goodluck, but that was the mentality I had for maths. It doesn't work, do the best you can and don't rely on "Oh I got a HD for all the other things, I can just wing the final exam" because it will backfire 9 times out of 10.
I didnt really think that way when i was doing the exam, it was bcoz the exam was open book, and i thought i had everything... One thing ive learnt, open book exams are usually harder then closed book. Im only trying to calm myself down now by thinking that i only need about 30% to pass, so i can keep my sanity :togo:
But thanks for the advice anyway
Old 18-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Thanks for that Gary, too true. Need to break this habit.

For anyone wondering I'm studying (a mouthful) Bacheleor of Technology in Forensic and Analytical Chemistry. With a double degree in BIE (Business & Innovation Enterprises) or something rather, extra year onto study and an extra degree; why not?
That sounds awesome James!

The lesson I have learned (too late) is to study what you enjoy and have a passion for, not what you think will earn you money. Chances are a) you will be wrong about what earns good money anyway and b) you will end up in a job you hate which probably doesnt earn as much money as you thought it would!

I am VERY passionate about getting that across to people! DO WHAT YOU ENJOY! With what you pay in HECS these days, dont waste it!

Old 18-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
FordFan86
meow

Thanks Jaq. If I need help with anything this semester or next year I'll be sure to get in touch with you
I've heard plenty of stories from 3rd year, PhD students and current lecturers that first year subjects are really full on. Starts off with basic high school knowledge and then BAM! It's intented to weed out those not ready for it I suppose. Compared to my friends and other I'm sitting solidy towards the top end of the middle (if that makes sense :P) some failed with academic support, others received a couple of DN's. No HD's unless you sleep with the lecturers, or have a gift :P
From lecturers and stats I've found from first year
~30% failed maths (of about 200)
and towards 2/3rds of bio students failed, ~500 in the topic. I can't see why, it's information based. I'm a language type learner tho, numbers are over my head (hence math fail) Tho who uses 3 dimensions, definitions of derivates and whatnot? Teach how to handle and count money, interest, etc. Business maths should be what's needed with a dash of analytical style in it.

I achieved those marks taking 5 days a week at uni, working 3 x 8 hour shifts at work. I'm happy with it. May drop a a day of work and see what affect it has.

Random rant off.
Old 18-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
FordFan86
meow

Open books are hard exams MC. I had one and I only took in what I thought I needed. Turns out I was 99% on the money and narrowed about 3 inches of printed paper to 1/2". Had all but 2/3 pages that would've helped.

Jaq: That's why I'm thinking about swapping to education or pyschology. Not so much what will earn money, but what I will enjoy doing. The upside is if I don't change now (and I probably won't) is that both of those courses are very similar in structure up until 3rd year of my course so I could quite easily take them on part time at a job and complete the remaining units for the other degree/s. Perhaps similarly to your nursing, law and psychology degrees?
You'd be the best to ask this without calling uni:
Can you take stand alone units for general interest or because you want to? Or must they be part of your required study?
Old 18-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

I study PE and had four subjects that finished mid semester. this year i actually applied myself and managed to get 2 High Distinctions and 2 Distinctions so im stoked!

Celebrations shortlived though as my holidays end this weekend so back to the grinidng stone again soon... dammit! lol
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
McobraR
me may my mo

I go back on the 31st! lol, shows how much a bludge architecture is
Old 18-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

Studying BA Industrial Design at University of Western Sydney...
2nd year now...

Web and time based design: Credit
Design Studio 1: Credit
Industrial Graphics 2: Distinction
Sustainable Design: HIGH Distinction

absolutely stoked with my results...

gotta register for my classes on the 27th, then go back to uni on the 31st or 1st or something after 8 weeks off thanks to no final exams :
Old 19-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
You'd be the best to ask this without calling uni:
Can you take stand alone units for general interest or because you want to? Or must they be part of your required study?
Yeah, Im pretty sure most of the time you can do subjects out of interest only but you will still have to pay HECS for them and you will still need to satify any topic based cut off criteria for a subject if there are any, such as popular subjects like Psych etc...

As for whether or not it is part of your degree, or whether it has to be, that is up to the department individually, I think. Look up non-award subjects in your handbook.

You can usually do things like that as non degree based electives. For example, I did some non-law electives when I was doing my law degree... you can do related things like politics or something like a science subject or english or something. It depends on your options in the degree you are doing I guess.

Old 19-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
When I did uni, we could do anything we wanted to as long as we understood that it wont count towards the degree and is only taken due to self interest. However, that did me no good because studying Engineering, I hardly had time to sleep properly. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #15
Dezza
Parts bin special

I am studying Electrical Engineering at uni. I didn't have a particularily great semester, failing a couple of subjects :( . I did pass a couple of very difficult subjects though, so it's not all bad. Some of those lecturers were plain evil when they wrote those exams! Hope this semester is better

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #16
monkeydog
Shift for brains

Studying computer science at RMIT
Programming 2a - HD
Computing Theory - HD
Software Engineering A - Distinction
AI tools and apps - Distinction

Wrapped.
Looking forward to getting back to semester 2.
monkeydog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #17
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did pretty good for someone who didn't bother to rock up to tutorials

Project Management: D
Marketing: D
eCommerce: P
Sociology: P
Old 19-07-2006, 01:04 AM   #18
watever

doing my first year of my engineering degee. i fluked a pass in physics and scored a credit in engineering computing and engineering and industrial design practice. maths is the culprit in making me fail. so i guess im not the only one. not looking forward to the extra $800 in HECS. oh well life goes on i suppose
watever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #19
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Study Civil Engineering @ Monash

Engineering Investigations (Maths 6): Credit
Building Structures and Technology (Structures 6): High Distinction
Groundwater and Enviromental GeoEngineering (GeoEngineering 2): Credit
Urban Water and Waste Water Systems (Water 3): Distinction

Not bad considering im doing my degree a semester back to front, and have already completed Structures 7 and GeoEngineering 3.

Good Work to everyone else who got thru alright.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #20
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reasonably happy.

CSSE4001 - Computer Systems Design Project - Destinction
ENGG4000 - Introduction to Systems Engineering - Distinction
COMS4100 - Advanced Digital Communications - Pass (Grrrrrr, exam was a *****, don't believe a lecturer when he says its only on the 2nd half of the semester)
ELEC3002 - Advance Computation Techniques in Electrical Engineering (retarded maths) - Pass

4th year B Engineering at UQ St Lucia, Double Major Computer Systems, and hopefully starting a Masters of Systems Engineering next year. I failed 2 subjects in 2nd semester 1st year, turning 18 just after exams in 1st semester didn't help much.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doing Commerce at Deakin
Superannuation Planning 75 D
Financial Planning 66 C
Business Finance 71 D
Auditing (Assessment pending) proberly a Pass tho
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #22
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doing computer science at JCU
ev1001 - environmental science (had to do it) credit
cp1200 - C++ programming DISTINCTION hehe
cp1500 - databases just passed (hate it soooo much)
MA1020 - prep maths (high school math b) DISTINCTIOn (oh yeah i failed it in high school)
next sem is even easier...
next year is mech engineering though might stay with computer science see what happens

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Civil/Environmental (wank) Engineering at Monash Uni

A distinction, two credits, and a pass I'm overloading this semester though to finish on time :(

I'm in the guinea pig year of my course, being one of two students who are meant to graduate after this year. The engineering is relevant, but the enviro stuff is a load of syrupy pungent oxen excrement.

Having a patronising lecturer in chemistry is proving fun, I'm giving as good as I get :thebirds: I'm expecting a poor mark...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #24
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I got 3 high destinctions, i dunno how. lol. and the other was a credit.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Bachelor of Arts- Uni of Newcastle
Issue in Australian Politics + Foreign Policy - D
Government & Business in Asia-Pac - D
Terrorism & Failing States - D
Foundations of Modern Politics - D

So im a happy chappy 4 D's does wonders for my GPA

*Ive been back at Uni this week - So less AFF time for me

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #26
YuGoStaR
Long Member

Well done to everybody.
I'm doing Medicinal Chemistry, second year at Monash Parkville.
Analytical Chemistry - Credit
Physiology - Credit
Synthetic Chemistry - Distinction
Biomolecules Structure and Function - Pass, THE worst subject ever.
I got through, so I'm happy. Good luck for this semester guys.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #27
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good job guys, Im doing accounting at RMIT. This was my first semester doing full time work and part time uni. I finally passed company law with a 58 and got 60 for my organisational behaviour. I got screwed on the final assignment. I thought I did well but I failed it for some reason. I still passed so I dont really care.

This was my 3rd attempt at company law. So glad I passed it this time. I was surprised because I failed to hand in an essay worth 25% of the course! :

7 subjects left before I get another pay rise :(
Old 19-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #28
big_pete
Sublime

i passed my final subject for my course (Bachelor of Arts: Multimedia)

so ive finally finished the course and it feels so goooooood!!
when i found out i passed it literally felt like a huge weight was lifted of my shoulders,
im so happy to get through it, even though it is only an arts degree :P
Old 19-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #29
McobraR
me may my mo

Got a pass for design, distinction for critical thinking, and a credit for office practice.
Old 19-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watever
doing my first year of my engineering degee. i fluked a pass in physics and scored a credit in engineering computing and engineering and industrial design practice. maths is the culprit in making me fail. so i guess im not the only one. not looking forward to the extra $800 in HECS. oh well life goes on i suppose
i did that Unit, (in bold above), last year.. you arnt at UWS are you? i am :