Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #241
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I tend to agree with you. My 21 Outback has the 11.2" portrait touch screen also and I think its overkill. Plus a lot of the cars functionality relies on the infotainment system interface. You also have to scroll through 2 or 3 menus to switch off/on and adjust aspects of the car which is more annoying. I hope the new Ranger doesn't rely on this tech to operate because I can tell you now, a lot will not like it.
I don't like the idea, or look of portrait screens. I think I'd prefer landscape. My Jeep has square screen and that seems ok too.

I love the screens in the new Sportage.

https://images.carexpert.com.au/resi...GT-Line_13.jpg

The photo was too big so I'll just link it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #242
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
nah, we do

The new Ranger looks fantastic and will sell like hot cakes. But I’m more excited about what is coming a bit later. Bring it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #243
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
It all sounds good so far but I'm not sold on the looks. To my eyes, this render of the Amarok looks better.

Im seeing a bit of mitsubishi in that face, only the squirrels cheeks arent quite as full of nuts.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #244
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Does the shifter serve a purpose still, ie, tiptronic mode or is it all controlled by the buttons? Genuine question.

The focus/escape setup is great. Much better access to storage areas etc without a gearstick in the way but I do accept that the ranger is a vehicle for many different purposes.
While I agree the rotary dial does work for creating more space and less knocking of coffee cups the one proviso is with paddle shifters you get the best of both worlds, sadly paddle shifters were dropped on the Escape MY2022 upgrade, so I have no idea how you manually control the auto...while our daughters SA Focus has both rotary and paddle shifters.

I have a Vito and at first I took some time getting used to it's rhd stalk for changing gears, now however it's so quick and easy and you don't lift your hands off the steering wheel.... reversing a trailer is literally a breeze, same hand to spin the steering wheel and finger tips to select R or D...and it has paddle shifters.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #245
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
It all sounds good so far but I'm not sold on the looks. To my eyes, this render of the Amarok looks better.

There won't be much difference. The only thing that will be different between the Ford ans VW will be the the grill and panel work around the grill so to give them there idenity.
Old 27-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #246
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Well us Terry diesel owners will have some idea....yes we experience daily the smoothness of the 2.7V6 tdi however we only have 140kW and 6 speeds, this will be 180kW+/~600Nm turning 10 speeds of hopefully recalibrated shifts and closer ratios...

I hope the Everest gets some of those different colour interior shots on some of the OS Youtube channels.
The big relief is that Ford upgraded the rotating assembly to forging in the 3.0 Powerstroke,
the cast crankshaft in JLR applications was subject to cracking behind the first rod pair.

I might be wrong on this but most vehicles with good NVH include smooth engines and
cabin materials with good sound deadening properties, soft touch materials add to both
a nicer but also quieter driving experience. Hard plastics just seem to reflect sound waves
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #247
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how they will control brightness on the centre screen at night when on a predominantly white screen.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #248
nstg8a

So what’s the deal with the Vw tie up.

It it really a VW ranger or is the amarok really a ford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #249
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

It will be an Amarok based on a Ford, similar to the PX1/Mazda BT50 set up..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #250
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
I wonder how they will control brightness on the centre screen at night when on a predominantly white screen.
Presumably has a dark mode.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #251
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I’m tipping this is a Ford.

VW may say otherwise.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #252
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

VW is axing its own Amarok, Crafter and Transporter, completely outsourcing them to Ford who will deliver versions
based on Ranger, Transit and Transit Custom, VW will supply Ford with Caddy based Transit Connect.

Ford Europe is currently retooling its Cologne plant to build VW based Electric vehicles with unique Ford top hats.
Hopefully, Australia will get access to Ford’s BEVs in the future…
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #253
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
when people start taking the new Ranger for a drive, there’s no way most could go back
to a noisy clattering of a competitor’s POS. It’s that good, anyone who’s owned a V6 Terry will agree…
As a Territory Diesel owner, that’s a reference I really like reading, I can’t wait to jump behind the wheel of one of these.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #254
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I don't like the idea, or look of portrait screens. I think I'd prefer landscape. My Jeep has square screen and that seems ok too.

I love the screens in the new Sportage.

https://images.carexpert.com.au/resi...GT-Line_13.jpg

The photo was too big so I'll just link it.
That does look good.

I love the dash layout of the Q7, obviously much higher spec than what Kia or Ford would do
Old 28-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #255
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The big relief is that Ford upgraded the rotating assembly to forging in the 3.0 Powerstroke,
the cast crankshaft in JLR applications was subject to cracking behind the first rod pair.

I might be wrong on this but most vehicles with good NVH include smooth engines and
cabin materials with good sound deadening properties, soft touch materials add to both
a nicer but also quieter driving experience. Hard plastics just seem to reflect sound waves
If I ever get bored and have some spare cash...wonder how hard down the track it would be to swap in a Ranger V6 diesel into a Terry....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #256
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
If I ever get bored and have some spare cash...wonder how hard down the track it would be to swap in a Ranger V6 diesel into a Terry....
One thing for sure, the 2.7 Lion is a lot narrower and shorter than a Coyote V8.
I think you’d have a great ride, really cheap if you bought a Ranger with a dead engine…
Old 28-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #257
nstg8a

Default New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
VW is axing its own Amarok, Crafter and Transporter, completely outsourcing them to Ford who will deliver versions
based on Ranger, Transit and Transit Custom, VW will supply Ford with Caddy based Transit Connect.

Ford Europe is currently retooling its Cologne plant to build VW based Electric vehicles with unique Ford top hats.
Hopefully, Australia will get access to Ford’s BEVs in the future…

Interesting, I would have thought the amarok had made a fairly decent name for itself, same as crafter, be a bit of a risk using fords to replace them.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #258
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought the amarok had made a fairly decent name for itself, same as crafter, be a bit of a risk using fords to replace them.
I would suggest there will be the bulk of consumers that are none the wiser.

I had an old guy tell me once that the ranger was actually a Mazda bt50.. I told him it was actually the other way around but not sure he believed me. A guy at work bought a renault koleos. I congratulated him on his fancy Nissan xtrail. That didn't go down so well.

As long as there is still the VW badge on the outside, the reputation (didn't think they had a good one) will remain.
Old 28-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #259
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Bit of a risk replacing Amarok (after you’ve lost Billions in fines after the “Diesel gate” fiasco) with the worlds best mid size Ute ?

I think not, it was “this” or nothing.
Old 28-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #260
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
New Amorok based on top selling 4x4 in Australia?
New Crafter & Transporter bast on popular in Europe Transit & Transit Custom?
I think they’ll do just fine.

Dieselgate cost VW $30 billion and a huge hit to its reputation, outsourcing to Ford eliminates the next round
of product cycle development costs and retooling of at least two plants, it also reduces any future liability.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #261
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW might chuck one of their special " dieselgate tunes" in them and have the power advantage over the ford version.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #262
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
VW might chuck one of their special " dieselgate tunes" in them and have the power advantage over the ford version.
Those would be built in a FORD plant, no chance.

Maybe the VW dealers will have a diesel-gate flash ?
Old 28-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #263
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

I had an old guy tell me once that the ranger was actually a Mazda bt50.. I told him it was actually the other way around but not sure he believed me. A guy at work bought a renault koleos. I congratulated him on his fancy Nissan xtrail. That didn't go down so well.

As long as there is still the VW badge on the outside, the reputation (didn't think they had a good one) will remain.
I have had people tell me that the Ranger and BT-50 had a Volvo engine, referencing the 5 cylinder 3.2.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #264
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Try telling a bloke his X Class Mercedes Ute is a Nissan that is worth 30+ G less, it’s gold.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #265
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The merc V6 TD is probably worth $30k over the gutless nugget in the Nissan.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #266
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Try telling a bloke his X Class Mercedes Ute is a Nissan that is worth 30+ G less, it’s gold.
I thought about that example but it's not quite the same. It's based on the Nissan only. I believe it's wider among a whole host of other things.

Still, the point stands. Amarok and Ranger will sell alongside each other and most will be none the wiser.
Old 28-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #267
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if Toyota would entertain putting their 3.3 V6TD (227 Kw/700nm) into the Hilux………
Old 28-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #268
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The merc V6 TD is probably worth $30k over the gutless nugget in the Nissan.
Maybe that’s why they canned it ?

It was rubbish anyway.
Old 28-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #269
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Maybe that’s why they canned it ?

It was rubbish anyway.
The best the owner can hope for is that it’s on a lease with a guaranteed buy back price and the Factory warranty covers the lease period.

The last thing you’d wish on the owner is to be wedlocked to a vehicle like that until either one dies….
Old 28-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #270
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im just glad we've moved away from the 2.0l less is more market spin that saw what were once real men reduced to opting for milk and juice carton engine capacities coz thats what they got told is all they should need.
'We listened to our customers'..obviously not a few 'round here

Thank God for 3.0l+ goodness and more than 4 rods
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post