Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #2911
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

I have the Specialized S Works shoes (bought 12 months before my saddle) and it is the best shoe I have had. I have had many brands with the most recent being Shimano although I can not remember the model, it was the full carbon sole top of the range. I was getting hot spots on the forefoot that developed into extreme pain and numbness in the toes on long rides. This had been going on for years and I tried different shoes but always continued to have the same problem. Went to see a podiatrist, sports physician, had a bone scan etc and the issue is a nerve compression through the metatarsals that only surgery will fix. I was able to get some relief with orthotics designed with a metatarsal button but orthotics are hard to fit in bike shoes.

As I got older the compression got worse and when I got back on the bike a few years ago my old Shimano shoes were intolerable, the pain at 80-100km was terrible and I used to have to pre dose with nurofen just to manage a long ride. I started to look around for new shoes looking at all brands. Sidi were expensive for what you got and felt narrow in the fore foot, not what I needed. Bontrager I did not try. Shimano felt flat with insufficient arch support and a bit tight in the forefoot, besides that it was Shimano that was currently torturing me. I continued to try a few others and then thought I would give Specialized a go.

I absolutely wanted a stiff carbon sole but I was not too concerned about the closure system as long as it was adjustable and did not cause pressure spots. I wanted light weight as it is rotational mass and more value losing weight there than some technoweanie lightweight stem.

The S works ended up meeting more of my criteria better than any other shoe. They are certainly light with a stiff full carbon sole. The closure I do not have a problem with as it closes well with no pressure points and is easy to adjust when your foot swells a bit on long rides. I also greatly prefer the understated stealth look of the all black with dark lettering S Works up the side, not bright and obnoxious like so many brands. The foot bed was good with 3 levels of arch support available, mid range is the fit for me and feels very good. They also have a metatarsal button molded into their foot bed, about time someone added this feature considering metatarsal nerve compression is such a common issue in cycling. The forefoot is quite roomy and sufficient for me to have a little wriggle room but still snug and stable. The heel counter is deep and very snug causing it to really grip the heel and make you feel locked in. The down side is these shoes are an absolute pain to put on and you virtually need a shoe horn to get them on at first. They have loosened up a bit after a few rides but they are still hard to put on. The shape of the heel counter is comfortable but grips the foot to the point you feel like you could easily ride with the closure system loose and still pull up on the pedals.

On the bike once I got the bloody things on there were immediate improvements and they increased over time. The shoe is certainly light and stiff and that is immediately noticeable, the only thing that lets down the locked in feeling you get is the interface between the pedal and cleat. The shape of the sole seems to compliment my foot position in my pedal stroke well with a good spread of pressure along the foot and I feel a lot more support in the arch area. Initially there were still some hot spots although less severe and for a bit I was a bit concerned. After a bit of a fiddle with the cleat position I managed to reduce it but it was still coming in at 3 hrs+ on the bike. This was an improvement over the Shimano's as they were giving hot spots and pain at <2hrs. I was concerned it was an issue I was always going to have and the only way to fix the nerve issue was the surgery. The strange thing is over a few months as the shoes were broken in the hot spots further decreased and the other day I only got mild hotspots after 4hrs of riding which I was easily distracted from by my sore legs. I would love to ride all day without hot spots but I think after 13 years of bashing my feet up in the army and the abuse I have given them training for Ironman Triathlon I have done enough damage that I will never have that pleasure. Lasting 4 hrs on the bike is good enough for me as I am not riding long stage races or classics. After the 4 hour mark a break at a cafe with my shoes off seems to fix it and I am then able to get back out there and rack up more miles.

End result is for my feet and my biomechanics this is the standout best shoe I have had in the last 20 years. Yes there may be a better one out there but as I am happy with this one I am not going to go looking and risk throwing money away. I just hope that Specialized don't mess too much with the design, if it is not broken then don't fix it.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #2912
prydey
Rob

i rode with the factory saddle (no doubt something cheap) until i got knocked off by a car and destroyed it by landing on it. i then bought another OEM one from the bike shop. many people buy saddles when they buy a bike, so he has a rack of new ones that people have swapped out straight away. maybe i've got a tolerant behind...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #2913
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
I have the Specialized S Works shoes (bought 12 months before my saddle) and it is the best shoe I have had. I have had many brands with the most recent being Shimano although I can not remember the model, it was the full carbon sole top of the range. I was getting hot spots on the forefoot that developed into extreme pain and numbness in the toes on long rides. This had been going on for years and I tried different shoes but always continued to have the same problem. Went to see a podiatrist, sports physician, had a bone scan etc and the issue is a nerve compression through the metatarsals that only surgery will fix. I was able to get some relief with orthotics designed with a metatarsal button but orthotics are hard to fit in bike shoes.

As I got older the compression got worse and when I got back on the bike a few years ago my old Shimano shoes were intolerable, the pain at 80-100km was terrible and I used to have to pre dose with nurofen just to manage a long ride. I started to look around for new shoes looking at all brands. Sidi were expensive for what you got and felt narrow in the fore foot, not what I needed. Bontrager I did not try. Shimano felt flat with insufficient arch support and a bit tight in the forefoot, besides that it was Shimano that was currently torturing me. I continued to try a few others and then thought I would give Specialized a go.

I absolutely wanted a stiff carbon sole but I was not too concerned about the closure system as long as it was adjustable and did not cause pressure spots. I wanted light weight as it is rotational mass and more value losing weight there than some technoweanie lightweight stem.

The S works ended up meeting more of my criteria better than any other shoe. They are certainly light with a stiff full carbon sole. The closure I do not have a problem with as it closes well with no pressure points and is easy to adjust when your foot swells a bit on long rides. I also greatly prefer the understated stealth look of the all black with dark lettering S Works up the side, not bright and obnoxious like so many brands. The foot bed was good with 3 levels of arch support available, mid range is the fit for me and feels very good. They also have a metatarsal button molded into their foot bed, about time someone added this feature considering metatarsal nerve compression is such a common issue in cycling. The forefoot is quite roomy and sufficient for me to have a little wriggle room but still snug and stable. The heel counter is deep and very snug causing it to really grip the heel and make you feel locked in. The down side is these shoes are an absolute pain to put on and you virtually need a shoe horn to get them on at first. They have loosened up a bit after a few rides but they are still hard to put on. The shape of the heel counter is comfortable but grips the foot to the point you feel like you could easily ride with the closure system loose and still pull up on the pedals.

On the bike once I got the bloody things on there were immediate improvements and they increased over time. The shoe is certainly light and stiff and that is immediately noticeable, the only thing that lets down the locked in feeling you get is the interface between the pedal and cleat. The shape of the sole seems to compliment my foot position in my pedal stroke well with a good spread of pressure along the foot and I feel a lot more support in the arch area. Initially there were still some hot spots although less severe and for a bit I was a bit concerned. After a bit of a fiddle with the cleat position I managed to reduce it but it was still coming in at 3 hrs+ on the bike. This was an improvement over the Shimano's as they were giving hot spots and pain at <2hrs. I was concerned it was an issue I was always going to have and the only way to fix the nerve issue was the surgery. The strange thing is over a few months as the shoes were broken in the hot spots further decreased and the other day I only got mild hotspots after 4hrs of riding which I was easily distracted from by my sore legs. I would love to ride all day without hot spots but I think after 13 years of bashing my feet up in the army and the abuse I have given them training for Ironman Triathlon I have done enough damage that I will never have that pleasure. Lasting 4 hrs on the bike is good enough for me as I am not riding long stage races or classics. After the 4 hour mark a break at a cafe with my shoes off seems to fix it and I am then able to get back out there and rack up more miles.

End result is for my feet and my biomechanics this is the standout best shoe I have had in the last 20 years. Yes there may be a better one out there but as I am happy with this one I am not going to go looking and risk throwing money away. I just hope that Specialized don't mess too much with the design, if it is not broken then don't fix it.
How tight do you do your shoes up?

Don't get me wrong the specialized shoe comment. Thy are awesome shoes.
I just have a personal irk about bike shops doing biomechanical fits after a couple of days training and customers walking out having spent hundreds on new gear.

My last bike fit I had done was by a podiatrist and keen ironman athlete trained in and using the Retul system. (Thanks for the heads up Trevor )
Note - I love to P155 money up the wall trying this and that - more out of curiosity than anything else.
I walked in with bags of parts - different stems, shoes, saddles, cleats and pedals etc.

I had three main issues
- Sore hands
- Hot spots in my feet
- weird tingling sensation in my left knee after around 20-30k.

I left that fit with all 3 issues fixed 100% and fully explained plus a bonus of 15% increase in my average normalised power output. I can ride faster, for longer and feel better after doing so. My regular 33k commute was 2-3 min faster and I felt much fresher afterwards.

We did not swap out any components, just made adjustments and again he explained everything along the way. The one thing I purchased was a $16 foam foot bed from woollies to support my high arches and provide a softer foot base.
This was his recommendation, he told me the $150+ orthotics he sold were not needed.

He also said not to do my shoes up tight either.

Again he fully explained everything - and why.
I walked out having only spent $280. + $32 for two pairs of footbeds. (Road and MTB shoes)
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #2914
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Not tight, just light closure and this is one of the things I like about the S Works shoes is that at light closure your foot still feels controlled. I would not get a LBS to do a bike fit, that is coming but will be done by someone that is experienced with a proven system. I may find that my saddle is wrong and it will have to be changed which does not worry me as my MTB needs a new one anyway and it will be fine for that. I think it is more likely a case of the saddle will be adjusted and not replaced. As for the shoes, I doubt there is going to be an issue there as I have been running and riding long enough with a lot of guidance from a podiatrist and sports physician to have a good idea of what to look for in a shoe. The S Works seems to achieve the best compromise of all my requirements that I have found.
Old 23-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #2915
prydey
Rob

Crazy!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-2...-video/7538470

i know i've said previously that i'm not overly fussed about the new passing laws in some states, but this is just crazy.

personally, i think its intentional given that lack of other traffic in the other direction. the only other reason is that he just didn't see the cyclist there.

which brings me to another issue... the number of cyclists i see riding around with no lights on. i realise you probably don't need to in broad daylight, but to me they are just as much about being seen, as being able to see. possibly more so.

anyways, sorry to drag the thread down with some negativity. be safe.
Old 23-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #2916
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

The 1 metre rule in Qld has certainly changed a lot of drivers' behaviour... I can see they don't know what a metre is, with a lot of cars changing to the opposite side of the road to pass- leaving a 4 metre + gap.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #2917
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I got passed by a tradie's van today on a 50km/h road. He was probably about 30cm from me when he passed me and the force of him going past actually made my bike "wobble" a bit. Seemed like he was going faster than 50km/h.

It was a massive knob move from the guy because he had plenty of space he could have used.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #2918
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

The situation I can not understand is when on a dual lane road cars pass with less than a metre when there is a clear lane beside them. Why can't they change lanes and play it safe, they would have no issue changing lanes if there was a slower moving vehicle in the left lane?
Old 24-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #2919
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Because some people are complete tossers
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #2920
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Some people will just do anything to make themselves feel empowered.

"Oh look, I made that cyclist fear for his safety. Must mean I'm a tough guy."
Old 24-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #2921
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
The situation I can not understand is when on a dual lane road cars pass with less than a metre when there is a clear lane beside them. Why can't they change lanes and play it safe, they would have no issue changing lanes if there was a slower moving vehicle in the left lane?
If it was a mangy stray dog on the side of the road it would get more respect than a cyclist. We are the lowest of the low.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #2922
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Some people will just do anything to make themselves feel empowered.

"Oh look, I made that cyclist fear for his safety. Must mean I'm a tough guy."
I am not sure we rate high enough in their minds for that much thought and consideration.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #2923
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
If it was a mangy stray dog on the side of the road it would get more respect than a cyclist. We are the lowest of the low.
Why is that ?
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #2924
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Why is that ?
who could know. perhaps some drivers see cyclists as a threat to their manliness... although i have been abused by women also (i use the term women very loosely though).

funnily enough, speaking from personal experience, its usually tradies or 4wd that feel the need to exert their position of dominance the most. thankfully where i ride here in adelaide, and where i've ridden in qld is semi rural/rural, so these kinds of heroes are fairly thin on the ground.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #2925
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Agree with Rob.

Some people feel threatened or insecure around cyclists for some reason, so they lash out abuse or decide to drive like an brainless idiot past them to stamp some form of authority on the matter. Pretty childish to be honest. It hasn't made cyclists want to stop riding the roads while it is legal to do so. But completely the opposite.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #2926
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Why is that ?
Simple.. the Media.
Goons like Shane Warne and Derryn Hinch being out spoken calling us cockroaches and parasites and free loaders etc.
it people like this being given air time on prime time TV and the tabloids that brainwash folks to believe we are scum sucking spandex wearing freeloaders that must pay registration.

What does not help is stupid cycling activists like Auscycle and safe cycling aus that go over the top and provide good reason for people to hate us.

We ALL need to calm down share the roads and just get along. It's simple really and cuts both ways.

Unfortunately our society does not work like that though.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #2927
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Duncan Gay and his new anti cycle laws don't help either.
I'd hate to be a cyclist in NSW these days.
I've seen photos of cops lining bicycle paths pulling up cyclists, checking for ID, bells, reflectors and other useless accessories that are now required. Then without hesitation issuing over the One the spot fines for non compliance.
Old 24-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #2928
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
funnily enough, speaking from personal experience, its usually tradies or 4wd that feel the need to exert their position of dominance the most. thankfully where i ride here in adelaide, and where i've ridden in qld is semi rural/rural, so these kinds of heroes are fairly thin on the ground.
Almost every single time I've been picked on by another road user, it has been a 4WD or tradie-van. I've actually experienced a lot of courteous car drivers that will let me merge into the lane if there is a parked car ahead, etc.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2929
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Almost every single time I've been picked on by another road user, it has been a 4WD or tradie-van. I've actually experienced a lot of courteous car drivers that will let me merge into the lane if there is a parked car ahead, etc.
There are a lot courteous drivers which is good to see.
One thing I have observed as a driver and noticed as a cyclist is if you sit hard left of the lane, people will try to squeeze past without going in to the next lane.
Sit a bit further out and they move over.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #2930
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
One thing I have observed as a driver and noticed as a cyclist is if you sit hard left of the lane, people will try to squeeze past without going in to the next lane.
i have found this also. sit left of the fog line and they'll whizz past like you aren't there. ride on or just to the right of the fog line and they'll give you room. kind of makes it hard to try to do the right thing and 'share' the road.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #2931
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. As often as practical I will "take the lane" but sometimes I move over simply so that I don't obstruct the flow of traffic (I usually do this when climbing a hill, like I was on this occasion). Even though it means I am less visible, at least it doesn't irritate the people behind me and risk the chance of someone doing something silly.

I usually wear hi-vis when riding after a few too many close calls with drivers that mustn't have been paying attention. It seems like some people get tunnel vision and if you're not in their direct line of sight (centre of lane) they simply don't notice a cyclist.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #2932
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know what you mean - hug the kern and channel and you run the risk of having no where to go ( your experience tells you when a driver in traffic isn't happy to give you any space , and is dead set on being in front of you). Travel too wide from the kern and then you risk of setting a driver off and then being either blasted by their horn or almost tapped by the left guard
Where your position is everything , I avoid those roads at all costs . Sometimes on those roads , even being able to bunny hop on to the pedestrian path still isnt far enough from the driver .
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #2933
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Well I had a new one tonight. I was walking home from the local shop and was nearly run over by a cyclist! It was an older bloke, looked like he may have been living rough or something. He was riding along a pitch-black footpath with only a very dull headlight (fixed beam, not blinking) and no rear light of any type. He didn't see me but I heard him and moved out of the way just in time.

It wasn't a big deal or anything but it reminded me just how important it is to be visible on a bike. I literally did not see him until he was a few meters away because it seemed like his torch batteries were flat (he just had a halogen torch taped to handlebars). I can only imagine that a car would not be able to see this guy at all, especially if the car was behind him.
Old 26-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #2934
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a indoor session booked with my preferred cycling store where we are going to demo a few seats including the awkward looking SMP . I known the proprietor for over 30yrs and pleased to say i consider our relationship to be more family than customer
I will ride to work and then after work ride to shop so away from his customers we can set the bike up on the trainer with various seats, although a change back to what i had prior to the change should see a immediate fix
Shoes : Have tried most , but have been happy to stay with Sidi Ergo. Although after meeting Chris Froome earlier this year i might try the Sidi Wire Froome Edition
I have the SMP "Hell" model seat on the bike for 2 days . This morning I got a opportunity to try out the seat on a Wahoo KickR indoor trainer . I did one of the climbs I regular do - i must admit like it .
As much as it hurts me to say , I am also liking the SMP seat as well . I trying not to , but I don't seem to have the referral pain
I hope to test the seat over a longer ride on Sunday .
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #2935
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have the SMP "Hell" model seat on the bike for 2 days . This morning I got a opportunity to try out the seat on a Wahoo KickR indoor trainer . I did one of the climbs I regular do - i must admit like it .
As much as it hurts me to say , I am also liking the SMP seat as well . I trying not to , but I don't seem to have the referral pain
I hope to test the seat over a longer ride on Sunday .
1400m of climbing on a "tempo" ride and froze the little fella in the hills , but no referral pain . It looks like I am going to stick with the Selle SMP seat
Although the pain caused by Fizik Arizone has gone , I am still wondering I can achieve the pain free riding helped by the Selle SMP with another seat? . I doing a early morning ride (flat and fast) on Wednesday , but I pretty sure , I won't have the pain . I will talk to the shop after the ride and see whether I should test something else before I proceed with the change . I understand
pain free is all that should matter , but I am finding it hard to accept the look
of the seat off the bike
Old 26-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #2936
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile
For as long as I can remember , I ve been on a Selle Italia , Selle Marco or Prolongo , never had a problem . Very recently I moved on to a very nice Fizik Arione . Ater each ride, I swear I been kicked in the crown jewels , so much so, the discomfort last for many hours after the ride
I spoke with my docttor, and after an examination , he and I are both of the opinion the discomfort has been caused by the change in seat . We both think it's due to the wider and longer nose of the Fizik seat
My doctor ,a rider as well , believes I should look at a Selle SMP Evolution - he swears by it . I not so sure ??? Ugly looking seat , so much so, I can't bring myself to believe it could help
Has anyone had a similar situation once they changed seats or had any
experience with a Selle SMP seat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
I have had no problems with the Arione seat although I know 2 people who have one went to Selle and the other an ism saddle

i ride with an older guy who was having issues with his plumbing and after much saddle trialling has changed to an ISM saddle. he is a much happier guy now. its a weird looking saddle but effective at solving his issues. i know of a couple of people that run these and swear by them.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #2937
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i ride with an older guy who was having issues with his plumbing and after much saddle trialling has changed to an ISM saddle. he is a much happier guy now. its a weird looking saddle but effective at solving his issues. i know of a couple of people that run these and swear by them.
Good heavens Prydey . I am struggling with the SMP seat so you can imagine the horror having to support a change to the ISM .
What has puzzled me the most , never had a problem yet after a change to the Arizone , the pain like being ridden in the jewels by a horse repeated was unbearable.
As a guy we have learnt the pain from a young age and have learnt within 30mins the pain in the lower regions of the tummy will past , yet with the Arizone after a couple on the bike it lasted hours. After last Sundays right it lasted until Monday
So i thought its time to see why . The SMP has me back to the state before the Arizone . Was the SMP a fluke ? Or should i return to a flatter Selle like the one i had ?
Touch points on the bike are sooooo important i dont want to make the wrong choice.
Prydey i would be very interested to learn why your friend had pain now and not before
Old 26-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #2938
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

My issue was that I went from a seemingly base level seat (supplied on a base level carbon frame bike sold for $1499) a Zero Zelix Pro, which was quite slender, and has a cut-away in the centre of the seat, to a Selle San Marco Concor racing seat, roughly the same shape but no cutout in the middle.

I sat down on a memory foam set up at the LBS the other day,so they could measure my sit bones, and they came up with the 128mm width (the current Selle is 134mm)

But after 2 or three years on the Zero with the middle bit cut out I've been spoilt... I've ordered that style in a Bontrager to see how it goes. That's the part of me that hurt after sitting on the Selle for over 3 hours.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #2939
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put a set of 25c GP4000 II's on the Propel last night. Apart from being a bugger to put on, I am absolutely over the moon at the difference they've made.

They're not some miracle cure, but man the ride is a lot smoother, and that real hard edge has been taken off the bike. It's still extremely agile and stiff, but that element of being TOO edgy has been dulled.

Very, very happy.

Oh and here is a photo from today's ride, the first on the new tyres.

Bike by Dave Bourne, on Flickr
Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #2940
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Put a set of 25c GP4000 II's on the Propel last night. Apart from being a bugger to put on, I am absolutely over the moon at the difference they've made.

They're not some miracle cure, but man the ride is a lot smoother, and that real hard edge has been taken off the bike. It's still extremely agile and stiff, but that element of being TOO edgy has been dulled.

Very, very happy.

Oh and here is a photo from today's ride, the first on the new tyres.

imageBike by Dave Bourne, on Flickr
Love it Dave. I have heard positive things with the move to 25c tyres. Will look at doing this for the Cervelo. Your ride looks sexual with those rims too.

I noticed what you did with the crank position, chain in big ring and wheel position also. haha. It's the little bit that counts.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont