Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #991
prydey
Rob

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
But people on this forum said it was going to be awesome with the 10 speed.
Yes, let's bolster our argument by using a journo's opinion of how it 'feels'!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #992
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
The blokes that are buying one get that.
And that's all that matters.

No one is being forced to buy one.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #993
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Car Advice review for those who haven't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50GjQtCyI8
Good video. Near the end he bags it out then at the end says how good it is???
Was in the USA a couple of weeks ago and watched a documentary on trucks and their history. They said the other brands ( Ram/ Chevy ect) had no model that came close to the F150 Raptor. I think this also applies to dual cabs in Australia with this Ranger.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #994
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

I think it's all a matter of expectations. I'm going to have so much fun with mine... I will try to explore every nook and cranny of Australia. I've already put in for 2 months of leave and a mate and I are going to go explore. Of course you can do it in any other vehicle, but for me it's the warranty and the out of the box experience. Easy resale anytime. No brainer.
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #995
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I love the look of the raptor, it’s obviously got great suspension and that 10 speed auto is excellent. It’s the motor that lets it down. The 2.0 twin turbo is a good engine. But it should be in the base model not the top of the range. The top of the range $75000 raptor needs more ticker. It’s the only thing letting it down. If the ranger had a 2.0 or 2.3 petrol turbo I would have bought one years ago. Even the 3.0 v6 turbo diesel I would consider. It just needs more. It hasn’t even been released and the press are already bagging out the engine. That’s a very worrying sign.
Wouldn’t be worried about the press boss - they’re saying exactly what many have said here. It is what it is with the engine, you guys have missed out but many of us see the combo as a winner. The platform is the biggest killer and puts the Raptor in another league off-road. Again we see the competition now scrambling to catch up. If FORD bring out a petrol Raptor in the future it will be a big win for the petrol brigade and I reckon we’ll eventually see one. Personally for me as mentioned I’ll always go the smaller diesel, it’s more power than I’ll need and good on fuel.......that’s coming from someone who did around Australia in a ‘shorty 40’ running an intercooled 400ci TDV8 - that was a blast. Each to their own - I hope you see your petrol Raptor.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #996
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my current Ute a Fgx Xr6 turbo but a dual cab is so much more practical. I want to buy a raptor but needs to have more engine for me. Come on ford do it please. 20 years ago who would have thought falcons would come with turbos and supercharged engines. No one. But a big engine in it please. Or bring out the f150 at a fair price please. You did a great job with the mustang do it with the f150.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #997
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So everyone who has a criticism is never going to consider one?

I would love one. Looking at the specs list I'm liking what I see, they have gone above and beyond on many aspects and it's impressive. Then I get to the engine and it just turns me off. I'm one of those weird people who still like biggish engines, especially in something marketed as 'performance'.
I would have got a 5.7L Hemi in my Grand Cherokee if I could have, but they discontinued it in about 2015.

I didn't think I would buy another ute since I have gone off small diesels and leaf springs, but the Ranger Raptor is something I would love to own.
I would also love a ute with an open-able window between the cab and the tray. I have my reasons why I want this, but that is something no one except Nissan offers in Australia. Well until the Ram comes.

Last edited by Ben73; 25-07-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #998
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Hasn't the Navara and every American pick up had rear coils for years?
As someone who has lived in Texas, I think we have a totally different view of pickups/utes/trucks compared to there. Most are indeed leaf springs, and are vastly different from what Australians are used to. In fact in the US we would probably ridicule every ute sold here as being underpowered..

I had a Raptor 150 and a 250 and just for fun, I set my 250 petrol V8 to metric to send a pic to my friends back in Oz. Ask yourself, could you handle this fuel economy? We pay about 66 cents per litre for petrol in the US...

Be careful what you wish for....

5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #999
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/670619/...r-ecoboost-v6/

But, Trevor Worthington, Ford's vice president of product development for Asia Pacific, is convinced that there's no market for these types of drivetrains.

"Well, we haven't looked at that one [referring to a petrol or diesel V6] because as I've said this morning, the vast majority of the 200 markets that we sell Ranger, and when I say a vast majority I mean 99 per cent are all diesel markets," he said.

"It'd be like turning up with something that people wouldn't even consider buying."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #1000
prydey
Rob

Quote:
, especially in something marketed as 'performance'.
Performance doesn't just mean how fast can you go!
Old 25-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #1001
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Performance doesn't just mean how fast can you go!
I know. It should be a full package. Like how a good modern performance car can go fast in a straight line and around corners.

I guess the Ranger Raptor is the MX-5 of 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
As someone who has lived in Texas, I think we have a totally different view of pickups/utes/trucks compared to there. Most are indeed leaf springs, and are vastly different from what Australians are used to. In fact in the US we would probably ridicule every ute sold here as being underpowered..

I had a Raptor 150 and a 250 and just for fun, I set my 250 petrol V8 to metric to send a pic to my friends back in Oz. Ask yourself, could you handle this fuel economy? We pay about 66 cents per litre for petrol in the US...

Be careful what you wish for....
Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong country. I am a fan of many American things.

On the topic of cars I would be happy to have access to a few more American cars in Australia for a more reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
https://www.caradvice.com.au/670619/...r-ecoboost-v6/

But, Trevor Worthington, Ford's vice president of product development for Asia Pacific, is convinced that there's no market for these types of drivetrains.

"Well, we haven't looked at that one [referring to a petrol or diesel V6] because as I've said this morning, the vast majority of the 200 markets that we sell Ranger, and when I say a vast majority I mean 99 per cent are all diesel markets," he said.

"It'd be like turning up with something that people wouldn't even consider buying."
"we haven't looked in a diesel v6 because 99% of the Ranger market are diesel markets"

So he said they didn't look into a V6 diesel because Ranger buyers only want diesel.

Righto mate. sounds like he was making up stuff on the spot to please those annoying journos.

Last edited by Ben73; 25-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #1002
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

There is offroad and onroad performance. I have driven ranger and territory diesel onroad , and for me there is NO performance...

Go drive a twin turbo range rover diesel, now thats performance. Diesel doesnt mean low performance , but if its ford it does......

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #1003
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I know. It should be a full package. Like how a good modern performance car can go fast in a straight line and around corners.

Seriously??

So take your GT up the Gibb river road or canning stock route then. Or criticise it for not having enough ground clearance to be the 'full package'.

I don't see anywhere where Ford are marketing this vehicle as anything but a serious off road vehicle that still has good on road manners.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #1004
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would hope a new car with twin turbo makes more power than a 34 year old NA petrol.
Hasn't the Navara and every American pick up had rear coils for years?
You hope for a lot of things, have done for over 34 pages.

Yes you are right, the Navara does run a coil rear - probably would have been a good idea for them to change the payload to 500kg with their first attempt but they’re getting there, much better with the current model set up.

‘Every American pick up’ - F150 Raptor still runs a leaf rear, won’t get a coil rear till next year. At this time the engineers behind the F150R said untill it goes full coil the Ranger Raptor will outhandle the F150 Raptor on a high speed Baja run. Will be a ‘trick’ set up on the 2019 F150R too which will feed into the Ranger Raptor imo.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #1005
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
There is offroad and onroad performance. I have driven ranger and territory diesel onroad , and for me there is NO performance...

Go drive a twin turbo range rover diesel, now thats performance. Diesel doesnt mean low performance , but if its ford it does......

Go drive a twin turbo range rover diesel, now thats performance.

Too funny.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #1006
articulatedsphinx

Just wanted to add I really like this forum because it's more or less troll free. I really do enjoy a spirited argument and healthy debate is nice.

In the end hopefully this leads to VW/GM/Toyota etc stepping up their game. More competition is better for everyone. You can bet your bottom dollar that the OEMs are reading this and many other forums...
Old 25-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #1007
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I

"we haven't looked in a diesel v6 because 99% of the Ranger market are diesel markets"

So he said they didn't look into a V6 diesel because Ranger buyers only want diesel.

Righto mate. sounds like he was making up stuff on the spot to please those annoying journos.
Exactly.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #1008
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was considering one, but the problem is its supposedly a somewhat exclusive vehicle in terms of tech, yet by all accounts the drivetrain will be available on regular Rangers. And with talk of a US Raptor Ranger getting a bigger motor, I don't want to commit to something that will be comprehensively updated 18 months later. I made the mistake of buying a GenF R8 which was replaced a couple years down the track with the LSA. FFS carmakers, go to market with something that befits the badge from day 1, instead of screwing over the early adopters.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #1009
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Hemihunter - have you ever been around Oz, down the CSR, to Cape York, Central Oz, Tasmania, travelled on hours of pot holed bush tracks, travelled on dirt roads just before graders came through, spent days/weeks travelling dune country, navigated bull dust tracks, travelled the Kimberley’s, the Pilbara........the list is endless. If you have you’d know that the 0-100 times you are hooked up on mean sweet F’all out there - who cares. The vehicles you mention would not even compare to the Raptor in the above examples, you wouldn’t even bother comparing. On the CSR the Raptors occupants would have had dinner, dessert, beers and would be asleep by the time an Amarok drove into camp.......that’s if it made it without getting bogged every dune with its shyte house clearance and 31” tyres - performance isn’t all about 0-100 times, especially when we’re talking about a 4wd dual cab ute. The blokes that are buying one get that.

As for the FPV being faster, it’s on road oriented.

I look at the Raptor as something only FORD had the balls to do. All the Colorado’s, DMAXs, Amaroks etc are boring as bat shyte. Like the Amaroks 0-100 time is mind bending anyway....some of us have fast 2wd cars to blow the cobwebs out on the black top, and some will soon have the Raptor to blow out the cobwebs off-road.
I am not doing the review mate ! you seem like you are thou.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #1010
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
I am not doing the review mate ! you seem like you are thou.
That’s not a review mate - it’s common sense stuff. It’s already been mentioned that FORD have only ever advertised this 4wd as an ‘off road’ performance vehicle. It’s got more power than the old Ranger, is quicker than the old Ranger, will leave the old Ranger literally for dead off road, and will outhandle the American F150R on a Baja run, yet some want to get hooked on the 0-100 times. We all know it’s a 2 litre mate, hopefully you’ll see your petrol Raptor. Until then, if you and others wanna throw your toys outa the cot and ‘bag’ the best dual cab Oz has seen in various ways go for it - knock ya self out.
Old 26-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #1011
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I was considering one, but the problem is its supposedly a somewhat exclusive vehicle in terms of tech, yet by all accounts the drivetrain will be available on regular Rangers. And with talk of a US Raptor Ranger getting a bigger motor, I don't want to commit to something that will be comprehensively updated 18 months later. I made the mistake of buying a GenF R8 which was replaced a couple years down the track with the LSA. FFS carmakers, go to market with something that befits the badge from day 1, instead of screwing over the early adopters.
From your comments it appears that you will never buy a new vehicle ever again as you will be waiting for the next model that might be better than the currently available one. That's how the motoring world works with R&D and marketing forces driving updates and improvement over previous models.

Warren
Old 26-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #1012
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a review, a journo review who has obviously driven it. Again its not my review.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #1013
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
It is a review, a journo review who has obviously driven it. Again its not my review.
Agree, you mentioned ‘you seemed like you are though’ - hence my reply.
Only criticism is the engine on the open road when overtaking - if they join with VW you may see the big V6 in her. Either way it’s only the beginning, whether it be a diesel or petrol, the popularity should secure it with a bigger engine in the future for those that want the extra power.
Old 26-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #1014
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
There is no MCE where the Americans will get a EB V6 engine in this Ranger Raptor,
this Raptor is it until 2021 and the next product cycle. The US Ranger and it's
2.3 EB was a clever little add on after the final MCE for global was done.

How do I know that?
Global MCE is out soon/now and US Ranger arrives at end of the year.
2.3 EB is North American exclusive, no engineered for global Ranger

Last edited by jpd80; 26-07-2018 at 03:44 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #1015
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

It is notable that he only grumbles about the engine when he's on road.....i took it that he meant under those conditions it's underpowered, and more because of power/weight than the sheer output of the engine itself. Doesn't matter a stuff whether it's 2L, a helluva lot of 2L engines pushing out a chunk of power these days. But in its current form a petrol option would have been nice...the 2.3 would seem to still fit Fords downsizing strategy but would it have paid back Fords investment in getting that engine into the Ranger in markets where fuel is pricier than the U.S.?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #1016
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I will be interested to see what the economy is like on the 2.3 EB in the US when it goes on sale later this year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #1017
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
There is no MCE where the Americans will get a EB V6 engine in this Ranger Raptor,
this Raptor is it until 2021 and the next product cycle. The US Ranger and it's
2.3 EB was a clever little add on after the final MCE for global was done.

How do I know that?
Global MCE is out soon/now and US Ranger arrives at end of the year.
2.3 EB is North American exclusive, no engineered for global Ranger
Do you know of any other diesel Ford could be working on that will have similar output to the V6 diesel they have in F-150 as I think I'm safe in saying extracting that much out of the 2.0L i4 is a bridge too far.

Even VW with their 2.0L tdi450 in T6 Multivans and Transporters is a 150kW version with 450Nm so Ford's Raptor 157Kw/500Nm is a pretty damn good set of numbers in comparison....and not a dsg in sight
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #1018
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Past half way through 2018, are any of these things in private hands (offroad) yet ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #1019
articulatedsphinx

For those commenting on the tyres about how the KO2 existed prior, looks like they are indeed special.

Which means $$$ for me when I go to replace them. I wonder if you'll be able to order them from 3rd parties. Maybe someone will test other brands etc. I wonder how much it really matters, although given that they have gone to this trouble I can't imagine for no reason at all...

"Engineers from both companies tested various tyre compounds and suspension settings to come up with a complementary package to achieve the desired traits. The LT285/70-R17 KO2 used on Raptor might look like any other BFG KO2, but it has a unique rubber compound and its own part number."
Old 26-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #1020
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Josh Dowling. say no more.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post