Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Interesting video on the Barra Motor

Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Interesting video on the Barra Motor

4.0 litres of pure bliss!!!!

Thanks Broadmeadows/Geelong factories.

I'm going to keep my BF3WGN (now with Redback extractors, Hi flow Cat and exhaust system and BPRD CAI) and try and drive it until the almighty 1 Million K's the LPG Taxi's have been getting out of the these Barra engines.

I only do 100-200k's per weekend so i still got about 20 years before she'll need to be rebuilt which i'll do myself when i'm about 60 LOL!!!!

p.s....the comments in the clip made about the 'balance' of the straight 6 engine/crankshaft are 100% correct.

1,5,3,6,2,4 all the way for me forever!!!!

Last edited by GASWAGON; 21-08-2018 at 08:24 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the engineers were developing the engine Jaguar and BMW were about the only companies building large capacity 6cyl. DOHC engines. Jaguar was part of the Ford family so that was easy access to their technology.

Ford Australia engineers also had a loan of an 6cyl BMW M5 for about a year to as a donor car.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

My mates old man has a 7 series BMW and when he popped open the bonnet for me to have a look (Twin Turb), i said straight away that looks like my barra!
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
My mates old man has a 7 series BMW and when he popped open the bonnet for me to have a look (Twin Turb), i said straight away that looks like my barra!
Knowing bmw guys he would have had a heart attack that you even mentioned a falcon motor while standing near him.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
When the engineers were developing the engine Jaguar and BMW were about the only companies building large capacity 6cyl. DOHC engines. Jaguar was part of the Ford family so that was easy access to their technology.

Ford Australia engineers also had a loan of an 6cyl BMW M5 for about a year to as a donor car.
When the Barra was in development Jaguar were in the midst of replacing their I6 with the V6.

From memory the Barra valvetrain and combustion chamber design was actually copied from the Duratec V6 used in the Jag S type. Used that basic setup and adapted it to suit. If I can remember that correctly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

One thing is for certain... The Barra is the best engine Australia has ever produced, bar none.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hJ6O1qnMmak?

Interesting video but he got his history and picture of original Falcon engine totally wrong.
The great grandfather of the Barra was a 144 ci short stroke OHV six, developing 90HP (67Kw) designed by Ford in 1958 for the 1959 Falcon in USA and in Sept 1960 in Aust. It shares the same bore centres as the Barra, but not much else The 250 version, first used in the XY, has the same stroke and a slightly larger bore than the Barra. Development of the engine in the USA stopped in the late 60s. Ford Aust. did all the development work after that.

Attached is picture of XK engine bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XK engine bay.jpg (133.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 23-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was *NEVER* a fan of Ford 6-cylinders. V8s yes, but Ford never seemed to do 6cyls properly.
I don't dislike 6cyls, as being a Mopar fan I had more than a few Hemis (265s mainly).
I grew up in my late teens in the no-V8 Fords era with hopeless, wheezy 4.1s lumbering around in XFs. Probably nice cars, but very uninspiring.
I never owned an E-series, but bought a near-new AUII ute .. but it had to be a V8. That SOHC 4.0 just reminded me too much of the old 4.1.
I then jumped the whole B-series, and my wife bought an near new FG ute .. and I remember her first words to me that it "seemed just as fast as your VY SV8"? Hmm, I wasn't 100% convinced in that, but I was VERY impressed with the performance, torque and solid feel of even the low-spec 4.0 EGas DOHC Barra.
I'm a now a convert. Love the power and simplicity of the Barra. Its truely the very, very worthy successor to the old Hemi six.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #10
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
One thing is for certain... The Barra is the best engine Australia has ever produced, bar none.
What about the Holden Starfire 4 though
Old 23-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
What about the Holden Starfire 4 though
There's one in every crowd.