Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #961
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Interesting Galaxy, so you do all 3 in one session and each session 3 times a week?

Thats a Mega session, will be giving that a go soon.

Do you throw Chip ups, Dips, Pull ups, Ect into your program aswell?
No I don't, I mix it up every 5 week's or so, right now I am doing workout,
A, Bench/ Squat's /barbell row's,
B, Deadlift/ Military Press.
Then workout A again,
Usually on Sat, Mon and Wed.
In between I will do chin up's/ dip's and Pull up's but I try not to work them to much as all those body part's are getting a hammering from the compound lift's and they need time to recover.
I started with 5x5's and now in the 5'th week I am doing 4x3's with heavier weight, you need to mix it up, then I will go back to 5x5's but start at a heavier weight then when I was doing 5x5's last time.
I don't do any Isolation exercises at all and havn't done for quite a few yr's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #962
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Thanks Galaxy, i love talking to people about training, so many different styles and examples of great training programs.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #963
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Thanks Galaxy, i love talking to people about training, so many different styles and examples of great training programs.
No worries mate,
But just remember, do not fall into the trap that you need to take any type of supplement, even Protein powder, well atleast in excessive amount's.
It is all a scam, you do not need extra Protien, all those that think otherwise can do so, I don't care, but in reality they are the people that fall into the trap and do Isolation exercise's aswell and so many different types of exercise's for each body part and then are told you need X amount of protein for body weight, (which there is a little truth in that) but you can easily get your adequete protien amount throughout the day by eating the right food's, but hey if they want to spend hundred's of dollar's to only go down the drain, then so be it.

But myself and my mate's that trained me are living proof that you don't need supplement's, I was a measly 69kg a few yr's back, I peaked at 106kg, and now I am down at 95kg, the fellow that trained me has won numerous National drug free titles and peaked when he finished competiting, he was trained by a respected strength trainer aswell, these are guy's that have been in the game for many yr's and know alot and what has worked for me is all because of them, all my compound exercises have increased, all you need to do is EAT.

Just make it fun, get in and get out, enjoy what you do and the result's will come.
Old 13-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #964
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My weight has been maintained. Between 78-82kg. I haven't been as good with food as I ought to be, but I haven't gone too silly either. Been keeping up with my riding routine. And Im in training for the Amy Gillette ride coming up next month. So I expect to drop a few kgs before then and maintain that afterwards heading into xmas.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #965
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just thought I would gatecrash the thread and announce that I am under 100 kg for the first time since January! Almost ready to crack out the smaller jeans, my every day jeans are starting to fall off me. That's about seven kilos lost so far. Still a long way to go before I can put the 32s back on again but I'm getting there.
Old 13-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #966
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Have a little read of this link, anybody interested.
It is how all body builder's begin, as power lifter's, and I will say it again, you need to gain strength in order to gain muscle and size, forget iso's, do compound.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
Old 13-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #967
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
It is how all body builder's begin, as power lifter's, and I will say it again, you need to gain strength in order to gain muscle and size, forget iso's, do compound.

hit it on the head, strength plays a big part, and compound is a must, otherwise to many muscles go with out ie stabilizing muscles.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #968
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks once again.. might be my first 5x5 session this Saturday, nothing to lose thats for sure.
Old 14-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #969
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Thanks once again.. might be my first 5x5 session this Saturday, nothing to lose thats for sure.
Just make sure you start light and easy and learn proper form, don't go in thinking just because the weight felt easy that you can bump it up alot next time, focus on form and get your technique right and then slowly add 2.5kg each time if it feel's comfortable.
Old 17-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #970
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Have started the 5x5 program using your Workout as the basis Galaxy, i'll post up some results in the few weeks, jeez it feels good to be doing squats and deadlifts once more.
Old 18-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #971
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I love Deadlift's, just did mine yesterday,
4x3 on 152.5kg, 155kg, 157.5kg, 160kg, absolutely love em.
Old 24-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #972
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

You must be a pretty big boy Galaxy...

I can't stand deadlifts, but getting used to them now I've started the 5x5. Concentrating very much on form at the moment.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #973
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

How do you find the 5X5 program XR6_661?
Old 25-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #974
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
You must be a pretty big boy Galaxy...

I can't stand deadlifts, but getting used to them now I've started the 5x5. Concentrating very much on form at the moment.
I wouldn't call myself big, far from it, I am not into Body Building, I am more into Strength and improving muscle and flexability, believe it or not before I started doing Power Lifting I had very poor flexability, but now it has improved.

I did weigh 69kg, when I 1'st got into this and standing 6ft 1, I looked rather slim, now weighing in at 95kg, I was once 106kg, so in gaining weight and size I am much more confindent and I know what it is like to be the skinny guy, and so I like to help out and tell my success and stories to help other's as I have been there to.

I tried a test the other night on bench after I had allready exhuasted myself by doing 4x3 at (100kg, 102.5kg, 105kg, 107.5kg.) and tried 115kg but failed, that is my PB.
But I'm working up to it, technically I should have got it but I think I had exhausted myself.

Keep at it guy's and what ever you do, do not jump the weight up to quickly, remember your FORM most importantly.
Old 25-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #975
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
How do you find the 5X5 program XR6_661?

It's good, big fan! Still not a huge fan of deadlifting, but getting there! Love love love squats. I had a big step from overtraining myself to this 5x5, so it was different to begin with, but I wouldn't go back now...

Did Bench, Squats and Barbell row today and I can def tell I was at the gym!

As galaxy suggests, just watching my form at the moment.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 25-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #976
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Galaxy do you always step the weight up between each set, or is it ok to just use the same weight for the 5x5 sets?

Sidenote:

Barbell row is a rather forein feeling excercise coming from Seated rows on a machine or Dumbell rows on a bench.

Deadlift is improving all the time, nothing amazing but steadiy going up each week.

Squats im @ 70Kg and looking for a big more depth so im going to focus on that before i chase anymore weight, still feel as though my knee is holding me back somewhat on this one.

Benchpress im @ 95Kg on the Barbell, 35kg on Dumbells and improvements are still coming, pretty happy to be benching my body weight on the bar thats for sure.

We have been doing whats called push press as its very good for explosive power, on the downside it seems to have flared up an old shoulder injury so i'll be swapping to a Std Military press from now on which i prefer anyways.

Also have achived close grip chin ups and dips sets without assistance for the first time, both of which were very exciting points for me, about 10Kg off widegrip sets without assistance.

Last edited by FPV8U; 25-10-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 26-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #977
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Galaxy do you always step the weight up between each set, or is it ok to just use the same weight for the 5x5 sets?

Sidenote:

Barbell row is a rather forein feeling excercise coming from Seated rows on a machine or Dumbell rows on a bench.

Deadlift is improving all the time, nothing amazing but steadiy going up each week.

Squats im @ 70Kg and looking for a big more depth so im going to focus on that before i chase anymore weight, still feel as though my knee is holding me back somewhat on this one.

Benchpress im @ 95Kg on the Barbell, 35kg on Dumbells and improvements are still coming, pretty happy to be benching my body weight on the bar thats for sure.

We have been doing whats called push press as its very good for explosive power, on the downside it seems to have flared up an old shoulder injury so i'll be swapping to a Std Military press from now on which i prefer anyways.

Also have achived close grip chin ups and dips sets without assistance for the first time, both of which were very exciting points for me, about 10Kg off widegrip sets without assistance.
I love barbell row, currently on 45kg. One of my favourites.

Squats, I’m on 70kg as well. I’m at the stage where if I bump it up 2.5kg it’ll be too much! So maybe another week on 70kg.

Benchpress, I’m hopeless, 40kg on the barbell at the moment and I can do 22.5kg dumbbells (10 reps though…) so could prob step that up. But I’ve cut it completely now. Any tips to bench more? I’m getting full motion…right down to the chest and all the way up…But I still struggle to add weight.

To put what I lift into perspective, I’m 170cm and 60kg wet. So I’m not big by any means…Prob a load of toss but I think what I’m lifting is quite good for my size.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 26-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #978
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To lift around 95kg on the barbell from start is pretty impressive FPV8U...well done.

Here's my situation

Age 48 - 5' 9" in height and weight fluctuates between 81 and 83 kg (about 5-7 kg overweight)

Have been going to gym 3-4 times a week for the past 6 years doing a mix of cardio and weights and do a 5km outdoor run twice a week. Eat generally healthy foods - lean meat, veggies, fruit and drink 2-3 litres of water a day (no takeaway junk food, soft drinks, sugar) but admittedly love my deserts, chocolate wine and beer. Was 76-78 kg up until a year ago and can't get back down no matter how much exercise I do. Quit smoking 3 years ago cold turkey , was doing 10 a day. have no current health problems.

Earlier this year, fed up with not seeing any results , engaged a personal trainer at my local Fitness First for 24 sessions over 12 weeks at a cost of $1,500. He got me on to the protein powder (load of crock as galaxy said) and circuit sessions involving weights over 9 exercises. These sessions were a mix of free weights and machines and the use of ropes and the large balls you see in gyms. His thinking being that muscle growth will burn more fat than cardio. Although he did recommend that I do cardio on alternate days (which i did) being a mix of bike, treadmill, rowing machine and cross trainer.

While I was disappointed that I didn't lose any weigth over that 3 months I did learn a lot about technique and form and maanged to get my strength up and recovery time down, but would still like to build more muscle mass

I'm really enjoying your guys posts ( esp Galaxy's)...very informative

Question ...what is a reasonable timeframe to increase the amount of weight being used . For example I'm benchpressing 60kg (being the 20 kg bar and 20kg each side) but its been over a month now at that level and can't seem to go any higher.

My typical current gym workouts are

Day 1 - shoulders, back and triceps , 30 min of cardio
Day 2 - chest, biceps, abs - 30 mins of cardio
Day 3 - legs , (including squats) 45 mins of cardio
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - 45-60 mins cardio
Day 6 - rest

Then repeat

Maybe I'm taking too long a break between weight sessions

Cheers
Pete
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #979
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

Sidenote:

It's a matter of mixing thing's up, when I was doing the 5x5 set's I was staying on a certain weight for each set, I was progresing upward's but it wasn't untill I did the 4 week's of 5x5 and then in the next 4 week period which is where I am at now that I changed to uping the weight 2.5kg every set, and doing 4 x 3 with a higher weight then 5 x 5.
I have found that this work's great for me, it might not for other's but for me it is fantastic, as I have never ever been able to bench 107.5 kg for 3 rep's, I was amazed, and my Squat's are at 112.5kg x 3, once again never been there before.
It's all a matter of mixing up your routine every 4 odd week's so you don't hit the plateau.

I bet you find doing barbell row's harder then seated row's don't you ?
I also bet you find that you whole body feel's it durring the lift ?

It's a good way to show that compound exercises like that work your whole body and central nervous system, where as a cable exercises (Isolation) will never do that.
I also bet you could seated row alot more then you could barbell row, as you could bench on a machine alot more then traditonal bench, and Squat less then leg press, why is that so you may ask?.
Well once again the machine is doing the work for you and you are not training your body and nervous system to work. that is why you also need to focus on your form and technique foremost before upping the weight, and then once you have that down pat, the weight's will raise and you will get alot stronger and bigger, (aslong as you are eating more then you expell) if you want to get bigger.
Old 26-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #980
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
To lift around 95kg on the barbell from start is pretty impressive FPV8U...well done.

Here's my situation

Age 48 - 5' 9" in height and weight fluctuates between 81 and 83 kg (about 5-7 kg overweight)

Have been going to gym 3-4 times a week for the past 6 years doing a mix of cardio and weights and do a 5km outdoor run twice a week. Eat generally healthy foods - lean meat, veggies, fruit and drink 2-3 litres of water a day (no takeaway junk food, soft drinks, sugar) but admittedly love my deserts, chocolate wine and beer. Was 76-78 kg up until a year ago and can't get back down no matter how much exercise I do. Quit smoking 3 years ago cold turkey , was doing 10 a day. have no current health problems.

Earlier this year, fed up with not seeing any results , engaged a personal trainer at my local Fitness First for 24 sessions over 12 weeks at a cost of $1,500. He got me on to the protein powder (load of crock as galaxy said) and circuit sessions involving weights over 9 exercises. These sessions were a mix of free weights and machines and the use of ropes and the large balls you see in gyms. His thinking being that muscle growth will burn more fat than cardio. Although he did recommend that I do cardio on alternate days (which i did) being a mix of bike, treadmill, rowing machine and cross trainer.

While I was disappointed that I didn't lose any weigth over that 3 months I did learn a lot about technique and form and maanged to get my strength up and recovery time down, but would still like to build more muscle mass

I'm really enjoying your guys posts ( esp Galaxy's)...very informative

Question ...what is a reasonable timeframe to increase the amount of weight being used . For example I'm benchpressing 60kg (being the 20 kg bar and 20kg each side) but its been over a month now at that level and can't seem to go any higher.

My typical current gym workouts are

Day 1 - shoulders, back and triceps , 30 min of cardio
Day 2 - chest, biceps, abs - 30 mins of cardio
Day 3 - legs , (including squats) 45 mins of cardio
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - 45-60 mins cardio
Day 6 - rest

Then repeat

Maybe I'm taking too long a break between weight sessions

Cheers
Pete
The problem with that routine is that it is not really training your whole body as you would think, that routine is like that of a typical gym Isolation routine,
Without knowing exactly what exercises you are doing, it's hard to tell you, but I wouldn't do any routine that is like,
Chest, shoulder's, tricep's etc.
Just stick with the basic 3 lift's that I have explained in my post's above, those 3 lift's alone work all your body when done corectly.
Old 26-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #981
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Very interesting thread. I've been working out for a little while now and seeing some of the results in here is inspiring. Lots of good info from some of the members too. I currently use Jetts gyms but am looking into another gym.

The location I go to does not have a bench press or rack (safety policy of theirs because they are 24hr). So I have been concentrating more on dumbbell bench press, barbel rows etc.

My current personal bests:

Barbel row - 90kg 6 reps
Incline dumbbell press - 42.5kg - 6 reps
Flat dumbbell press - 50kg - 6 reps
Overhead dumbbell press - 30kg - 6 reps.

That's just a quick summary. Hope to improve on all of that as soon as I find a gym with more equipment. Only problem is I need 24hr access because of the hours I work.
Old 26-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #982
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Do you blokes count bar weight too?

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 26-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #983
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being an ex Super heavyweight powerlifter all i can say is .
Heavy free weights work best.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #984
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Do you blokes count bar weight too?
Offcourse, you do lift that aswell.
Old 26-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #985
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Oh.

I don’t count bar weight. Just the weight I put on…

So I’m actually lifting more than I tell myself I am haha. Suddenly my bench press seems decent.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 26-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #986
EFFalcon
Last warning

barbells can weigh anywhere from 5kg to 20kg typically..
be an idea to find out what the bar weighs
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #987
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If it's a 2" dia bar, it's a 20kg job, if it's smaller ussually 10kg.
I have 3, one has been re-done and weigh's 13kg and has the grip area re-done and boy does it bight in, when you do Deadlift's it scrap's your shin's and thigh's like nothing, you certainly know it that's for sure but it's great for grip.
Old 26-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #988
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
I have 3, one has been re-done and weigh's 13kg and has the grip area re-done and boy does it bight in, when you do Deadlift's it scrap's your shin's and thigh's like nothing, you certainly know it that's for sure but it's great for grip.
Ah so most the ones at the gym I go to are 20kg jobbies then.

Haha theres a bar at the gym, brand new, and same thing, if ya scrap your shin on the way down you know about it!!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 26-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #989
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do prefer 1 muscle group per night but im going to start doing more pyramid training. I dont deadlift every back session. Everyone is different. But as Galaxy has said its good to change your routine. I deadlift anywhere up to 160kg on a back session, but i only weight 86kg, and my PB is 2 reps of 200kg. But again like galaxy said, its all about form. Free weight is always best.

I have damaged my back over a long period of time too, and the physio said i dont stretch enough

2 x good quality low carb protein shakes a day is best

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #990
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
try wider grip. I used to get that but since going wider im just as strong and i dont get it,

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post