Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #151
DK30RB

Default Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Mustang is a smidge over 100kg lighter than falcon (FGX Xr8). I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference.

I think its all in the gearing, yet a 6 speed manual 2018 mustang is not that far behind the auto.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #152
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
I've done the sort of testing that 99.9% of people do. I drive them in differing conditions everyday. Traffic, Freeway, Stop Start, some winding roads etc.

Magazine's and reviews already tell us all which car can go 0-100 quicker etc.

I'm talking about comparing them while driving them the way we all do everyday. I travel close to 50,000km per year on all sorts of different roads in traffic conditions.

Have done 2500km in the mustang already. It feels more responsive in traffic, has punchier in gear acceleration when overtaking, corners better, stops better, and has a nicer more complaint/controlled ride. Great sound system too. This...to me.... makes it a better car than the xr8. (for my tastes)

Sure, XR8 is great, goes hard and the supercharger sounds great. Cornering, stopping, ride, exhaust and sound system, not so great. Might have been good 10 years ago when it came out but things progress.

Any idea of what the sound system (brand) is in the Mustang, is it the same as in the premium sound system of the FPV or is it better. A good exhaust sound is great but so is a good audio sound inside the car.

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #153
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

When talking track times, 100kg difference is massive.
Its intriguing reading the latest and greatest has this that and more re gizmo's etc But its still not a SC Miami despite the noted Falcon pitfalls people like to bring up.
Pony ain't perfect as well but nothing ever is.
Its what the feeling is yourself in the seat as many mention.
Some love the tech/advancements, I can live without them.
Do I care the Falcon is 10yrs old in my 2016 Miami manual Sprint ? no way.
Do I care the exhaust is not loud enough at idle ? nope but what about under load and down shifts
Someone mentioned braking, I sure cannot knock the 6/4 brembo set up on Sprint, its awesum.
Its steering is brilliant for a 4door sedan.
I just drove 2500k's in my 16yr old 5.6l dinosaur stroker.
The 4/4 brembos worked brilliant might I add.
The sound, to die for.
The handling, better than Bseries until RSpec would be debatable but refined RSpec in Sprints is best, how many have driven one to actually compare.
Did I miss everything people go on about whilst cruising the open roads in a 16yrs Falcon - traffic in the Gold Coast etcetc? not one bit.
Once your in the drivers seat its what its all about, some need more some need less.
I have at my disposal cars better than MY18 for eg, doesn't mean they tick all the boxs or suit my needs because they are 2017/18.
I think the digging into Falcon is pretty cheap, especially the high end product.
I bought Sprint due to 2 reasons - last product that is close to my heart, the other was that Mustang having checked and driven was not up to my expectations then, thats me.
2018 Mustang is faster finally, kudos to the stinky ol Falcon, a 10yr old program that was drip fed in the first place, says alot that only just now mid 2018 the Pony finally is quicker with a 10speed auto (100kgs lighter), I'm a stick shift man so its a little slower I accept that but I want it in a FP1/FP2 package/or GT350 then I'll be in most likely.
Enjoy your rides but respect everyone.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #154
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
Any idea of what the sound system (brand) is in the Mustang, is it the same as in the premium sound system of the FPV or is it better. A good exhaust sound is great but so is a good audio sound inside the car.
I read somewhere that its by Bang and Olufsen.

https://hypebeast.com/2018/3/ford-mustang-gt-2019

Article mentions 12 speakers. Mine has 12 speakers so i assume its the same.

I have premium sound in my XR8, the Mustang system leaves it for dead. There is no comparison.

I also had premium sound in my FG XR6T which was better than the FGX premium sound, but still not in the same league as the system in the Mustang.

See below...

In September, 2016, news broke that Ford had struck up a partnership with Bang & Olufsen subsidiary B&O Play, and would start bringing the Danish company’s premium audio systems to its passenger vehicles the following year. The Ford Mustang is the latest Blue Oval product to benefit from the deal, with Ford today announcing that the 2019 Mustang will offer a 1,000-watt, 12-speaker B&O Play audio system as an option.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/new-u...8-ford-mustang

All Australian models get premium sound option as standard.
Old 27-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #155
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I do get that, but why did Ford sell themselves short on quoting power output?

https://www.motoring.com.au/grudge-m...prints-102423/

I have read articles such as this one which compare the GTS to the XR8 Sprint where the Sprint outdid the GTS.
Here they got 359kw at the wheels for Sprint with estimated 437kw at the fly, and 330kw at the wheels for GTS, with estimated 417 at the fly. Though still a torque advantage to the GTS.

So why under quote? My initial thoughts were that being a car provided by Ford to knowingly be compared to the GTS, Ford have likely tuned it for more power. It was apparently #001 XR8 Sprint, not just a random selected one.

But thats just me, I'm skeptical of everything.
Only a guess on my behalf, but I suspect it was Ford's ultra conservative marketing dept.
Considering their rival was at 317/325 dropping a 100kw increase would have had Harold scruby's head spinning.

A sprint won't be 437, that's a bit too optimistic.
Have a look at the gtf vs gts shootout. Those two cars were confirmed to be stock.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #156
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I read somewhere that its by Bang and Olufsen.

https://hypebeast.com/2018/3/ford-mustang-gt-2019

Article mentions 12 speakers. Mine has 12 speakers so i assume its the same.

I have premium sound in my XR8, the Mustang system leaves it for dead. There is no comparison.

I also had premium sound in my FG XR6T which was better than the FGX premium sound, but still not in the same league as the system in the Mustang.

See below...

In September, 2016, news broke that Ford had struck up a partnership with Bang & Olufsen subsidiary B&O Play, and would start bringing the Danish company’s premium audio systems to its passenger vehicles the following year. The Ford Mustang is the latest Blue Oval product to benefit from the deal, with Ford today announcing that the 2019 Mustang will offer a 1,000-watt, 12-speaker B&O Play audio system as an option.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/new-u...8-ford-mustang

All Australian models get premium sound option as standard.

Yes B & O gear is top notch, I was under the impression that the Premium Sound System in the FG's was made by the German Company Braun which had reasonably good sound systems but not as good as B & O. The other factor that would affect sound quality is the car's interior both in shape and materials used.

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #157
ESPJG32

Hi Mate,

The answer for me is a "no brainer", based on where your FPV sits now compared to a Mustang......They ain't making any more FPV's but they are making heaps of Mustangs...the FPV will be going up in value and the new Mustang will fall in value.....it's a bit like Elvis memorabilia, once he was dead it was worth heaps more than when he was alive...there is a finite number of FPV's in the world [ and the number was never really big] and they keep churning out mustangs...they will be like bums, everyone will have one, if you can afford it, and you really want a Mustang, park up the FPV AND HANG ONTO IT.!!!!
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #158
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I do get that, but why did Ford sell themselves short on quoting power output?

https://www.motoring.com.au/grudge-m...prints-102423/

So why under quote? My initial thoughts were that being a car provided by Ford to knowingly be compared to the GTS, Ford have likely tuned it for more power. It was apparently #001 XR8 Sprint, not just a random selected one.

But thats just me, I'm skeptical of everything.
It has to with stating the minimum power the engine produces in any given situation. If Ford simply quoted the maximum that would lead to consumers questioning why the car they payed for isn't making xxx power and the potential legalities that brings.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #159
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
I consider the "Shaker"audio system in my 2017 Mustang to be weaker than even the FGX premium audio, and thats saying something because the FGX sound is woeful compared to previous model Falcon's. Pre-MY18 Mustangs don't have a sub to help delivery a depth to the sound. Doesn't bother me, the Borla exhaust is my main audio system
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #160
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I consider the "Shaker"audio system in my 2017 Mustang to be weaker than even the FGX premium audio, and thats saying something because the FGX sound is woeful compared to previous model Falcon's. Pre-MY18 Mustangs don't have a sub to help delivery a depth to the sound. Doesn't bother me, the Borla exhaust is my main audio system
Pre 2018 updates did not get the B&O sound system. They didn't just add a sub to the 2018. Its completely different.

I have rented a 2017 Mustang and agree its sound system sounded worse than the FGX system. Certainly different to the MY18 versions.
Old 28-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #161
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
Hi Mate,

The answer for me is a "no brainer", based on where your FPV sits now compared to a Mustang......They ain't making any more FPV's but they are making heaps of Mustangs...the FPV will be going up in value and the new Mustang will fall in value.....it's a bit like Elvis memorabilia, once he was dead it was worth heaps more than when he was alive...there is a finite number of FPV's in the world [ and the number was never really big] and they keep churning out mustangs...they will be like bums, everyone will have one, if you can afford it, and you really want a Mustang, park up the FPV AND HANG ONTO IT.!!!!
To go up in value there needs to be a market for it and a demand for it. I personally can't see where the buyers will come from. Sure they may be 1 or 2 out there, but look at a 10 year old child now as they are your potential buyer in 20 years. What does falcon mean to them?

If they are interested in old school Aussie muscle, they will be looking at XW and XY falcons. Those models had a bigger impact on the general public than the last FG and FGX models did.

I don't think OP started this thread to debate the future value of his GT. If he truly wanted it to be an investment then he wouldn't be driving it around anyway.

I don't know how old OP is, but going by his posts i would say getting close to retirement age, so maybe another 15 or 20 years of driving enjoyment. Do you think his GT will be worth big $$$$$ in that time? Look how long it took for the XY etc to bring in the big $$$.

He just needs to test drive the Mustang, then make a decision on which one he likes best. What each car is worth in the next few years is totally irrelevant in this case.
7 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #162
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the foreseeable future you can buy a Mustang.

There will be no more GT Falcons, and every ******** wants big bucks for the ones that still exist.

So it depends on whether you can live with the fact it will be hard to get another GT and it will cost a bit.

Not the same for the Mustang.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #163
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
I've been looking at every review and gathering as much inormation on the mustang over the past 2 weeks as I'm about to take the plunge and get one. The common thread seems to be what the stang lacks in power over the FPV it makes up for in a much more enhanced driving experience.

I get the FPV has a zillion kw of power but if that was the main incentive for me I would have bought one 8 years ago. I didn't and instead kept my BA GT for 13 odd years instead. A car I'll still hold on to if I buy the Mustang .

The Mustang is common thats for sure and testament to the fact they are highly sought after.

The FPV GT is not made anymore, is an Aussie icon and will therefore become a collectible and increase in value in time while the Mustang will become a mass produced POS with every 2nd guy over 50 years of age with a mid life crisis owning one some will say. Who knows but I'd guess that 90% of people don't buy cars for investment purposes.

You need to buy and drive what makes YOU happy. Thats all that really matters.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #164
ESPJG32

Well the really good thing about opinions is an opinion doesn't have to be right to be an opinion - so you are entitled to yours and me to mine - neither have to be right....they are just an opinion in any case......but you might be surprised.....where it ends up, I didn't say anything about big dollars, but any FPV will devalue less than that Mussy, because, and purely because you and I and anyone else can go and order a new Mussy if I want one....and why would you want a last years model Mussy when you can go and order a brand spanking new one.....but if you want an FPV there is a finite number of them and they are no longer in production so you cant get a new one.....and I should also point out that his FPV is the supercharged model [ read as highly desirable to someone wanting a comfortable modern performance ford}….and that blower was a factory fitment....that is not a factory option on a Mussy in Oz at this time.

The above has nothing to do with a comparison with 1970's GT's
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #165
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
Well the really good thing about opinions is an opinion doesn't have to be right to be an opinion - so you are entitled to yours and me to mine - neither have to be right....they are just an opinion in any case......but you might be surprised.....where it ends up, I didn't say anything about big dollars, but any FPV will devalue less than that Mussy, because, and purely because you and I and anyone else can go and order a new Mussy if I want one....and why would you want a last years model Mussy when you can go and order a brand spanking new one.....but if you want an FPV there is a finite number of them and they are no longer in production so you cant get a new one.....and I should also point out that his FPV is the supercharged model [ read as highly desirable to someone wanting a comfortable modern performance ford}….and that blower was a factory fitment....that is not a factory option on a Mussy in Oz at this time.

The above has nothing to do with a comparison with 1970's GT's
My view is that the GT won't hold value as well as people think. Look at XR8, its doing a little better in terms of resale than other variants, but only just.

Sure you can buy a new mustang when the new one comes out, and yes the old one will devalue - much like the falcon has in the past (50% in 36 months on average). Much along the same lines there will probably be a better sedan you can buy making the Falcon look more and more outdated every year too.. Will this devalue it too? Who knows. Most likely yes.

How long will people look at it as a "[ read as highly desirable to someone wanting a comfortable modern performance ford}"

I think the fact that its not made anymore has knocked this on its head. You will hardly be able to call it modern in 5 years, even by todays standards its outdated.
Old 28-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #166
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
My view is that the GT won't hold value as well as people think. Look at XR8, its doing a little better in terms of resale than other variants, but only just.

Sure you can buy a new mustang when the new one comes out, and yes the old one will devalue - much like the falcon has in the past (50% in 36 months on average). Much along the same lines there will probably be a better sedan you can buy making the Falcon look more and more outdated every year too.. Will this devalue it too? Who knows. Most likely yes.

How long will people look at it as a "[ read as highly desirable to someone wanting a comfortable modern performance ford}"

I think the fact that its not made anymore has knocked this on its head. You will hardly be able to call it modern in 5 years, even by todays standards its outdated.
Well, you obviously see things differently, that’s cool.
For eg, do you attend supercar rounds the last 10yrs or more, I see countless starry eyed kids loving our drivers, pics posters signed etc, that impregnates a passion spark desire like what had occurred too many gens before.
They will come for it’s a drug later when you mature and make some coin.
My own kids even though they like jap or euro love Falcon, there lucky will inherit a couple but even so one would look at doing a resto on a xr6t or similar.
Ford Falcon died here long before the factory closure imo but it won’t die or be forgotten for as we see today, everything that was old is new
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by GasoLane; 28-07-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quotation marks
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #167
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
You need to buy and drive what makes YOU happy. Thats all that really matters.
Totally agree ..Absolutely.

The relative rarity of an FPV GT I reckon will probably make them more valuable over time but the value is one thing the sheer driving joy is another .

I'm biased but an FPV GT appeals more but I've not yet had the chance to enjoy a Mustang in any way . One of these days it might all be different .

Who knows ?

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-07-2018 at 09:17 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #168
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I believe the 3 star rating is only because of the safety of back seat passengers..
they changed the rating system. the old 5 star is now 2 stars. so it's actually better than you think.
Old 28-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #169
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
they changed the rating system. the old 5 star is now 2 stars. so it's actually better than you think.
Take out the useless back seats... And it would be 5 star.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #170
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sound system puts out 400rms at the rear speakers so it must be a better car.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #171
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it aint no FPV GT, but I just traded my BT-50 in on a new Mustang.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #172
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought my new Mustang yesterday. Will pick it up sometime this week. I understand your dillema mate. Now mine's only a BA GT not an FG with a 335 supercharged motor but its been my pride and joy for over eleven years and it would be like losing a family member if I were to get rid of it. So its staying. The mustang is a nice ride though and I dont have one thread of buyers remorse.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #173
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Bought my new Mustang yesterday. Will pick it up sometime this week. I understand your dillema mate. Now mine's only a BA GT not an FG with a 335 supercharged motor but its been my pride and joy for over eleven years and it would be like losing a family member if I were to get rid of it. So its staying. The mustang is a nice ride though and I dont have one thread of buyers remorse.

Good move best to keep of both if you can.
Swordie is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #174
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Default Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Have both....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #175
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

And yes my garage is air conditioned lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #176
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Who's isnt. But where is your hoist???

Xtreme Ford Tuning

3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #177
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Mine, what garage.
Silly question but how much clearance under the ceiling do you have with the car on the hoist ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #178
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Enough to sit on a roller stool. Best money I ever spent,

Xtreme Ford Tuning

4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #179
Swordie

Quote:

I like the cat door.
Swordie is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #180
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree , you can the reviews , watch the YouTube clips until you're exhausted and prey that the journeys soon , but unless you able to do the test drives and feel the car under your bum under typically conditions you will never know what is best for you. Agree the discussion / knowledge helps but you will never know until your bum is in the seat

Having road tested 2 Mustangs now Ross i have to say i just love the FPV more. Maybe 40+ yeas of owning them has skewed my viewpoint but i just didn't fall in love with the mustang the way i thought i might have. Added to the $32,500 they wanted including my GT and it was a no brainer, so sadly, much as i would have liked one , i don't think it's going to happen, at least in the near future.
I shall be there with baited breath watching them in Adelaide next year and will cheer them on at the 7 odd rounds i go to but i just can't see me owning one. The one thing i would say to Falcon onwers is to coin a phrase, you don't know what you've got till it's gone, that is , except for the people lucky enough to own both.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: