Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #91
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
arn't we talking about FPV GT's (throw in now FGX XR8's/Sprints) - never thought the numbers were that high compared to HSV's thats for sure, sales were pretty ordinary to say the least.
I don't see many stock Falcons on the roads I frequent let alone FPV's onwards but I do notice more Ponys.
This is where the comparison is unfair.

You cannot compare Falcon collectables like FPV's with base model GT Mustangs you see everyday on our roads.
so, of course, the GT Mustang sold in greater numbers is going to be more common.

If you want to compare apples with apples... A less common FPV should be compared to something like a less common Shelby Mustang.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #92
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

You cannot compare Falcon collectables like FPV's with base model GT Mustangs you see everyday on our roads.
so, of course, the GT Mustang sold in greater numbers is going to be more common.

If you want to compare apples with apples... A less common FPV should be compared to something like a less common Shelby Mustang.
Except a Mustang and a FPV are/were roughly the same price when new and FPV didn't put a restriction on cars built (specials aside). One has sold in great numbers since it was released. The others never did. Tells you a lot.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #93
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

I agree comparisons are not like for like.
Here we have Ford offering and telling us here's our replacement to the 4door sedan for starters with 2doors.
Then the GT Mustang is base model.
Yes it is unfair and has been from the get go but thats how it goes right hence the comparisons and media doing back to back tests vsing FPV's to GT Mustangs originally etcetc
Very unfair and thats what we have to stomach.
I can never see a GT350/500 coming due to the huge ADR costs involved etcetc so it sure is damn unfair for thats the only Factory version I would place in my garage barring a Bullet at this stage........
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #94
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
Except a Mustang and a FPV are/were roughly the same price when new and FPV didn't put a restriction on cars built (specials aside). One has sold in great numbers since it was released. The others never did. Tells you a lot.
One was dead product crawling for years due to lack of everything from above the other was/is the crown jewel domestically always being protected that tells you the lot
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #95
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
By the same token, in preparation for Ford Australia's manufacturing shutdown, the FPV brand and its range were discontinued in 2014.

So the Aussie Mustangs have been selling in great numbers for the last 3 or so years, while you could not buy a new FPV.

The Mustang nameplate was always going to have greater desirability by consumers with over a 50-year heritage compared to a locally produced FPV with only 12 years of production.
Old 25-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #96
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One was dead product crawling for years due to lack of everything from above the other was/is the crown jewel domestically always being protected that tells you the lot
The car market has spoken IMO.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #97
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I say this for you, and others commenting in this thread, to keep an open mind. There are some pretty rusted on Falcon fans here that have the blinkers on. Don’t get me wrong, I was a Falcon man long before a Ford man, I was devastated when the closure was announced and that the Falcon was to end. I LOVE my Falcons and all the Falcons that I have piloted over the years. But time moves on and, with the rose tinted glasses off, the final Falcons were well ready to be retired. They were excellent cars and represent something very special, but the Mustang moves everything forward as can only happen when development dollars continue to flow. I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post, just a prompt others to keep an open mind.
As I have tried to say, its an innately personal decision, however the OP has made it clear he loves his GT.

But can I also say, that whilst the FG was a dinosaur, it was still a bloody good car. Sad fact is that nobody wants a large LWB, RWD saloon, unless they want a luxury European. But if you like that, then all the more reason to hold onto it. This term gets used too much, but this literally was the end of an era. There is nothing like it on the market.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #98
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it odd that the FG GT has been around since , let's say for this illustration since 2010 so you would think in that time (8yrs) you would spot them in your day to day travels . My observations have been to the contrary I am seeing more Mustangs and HSV's that FG GT . Why is that?
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #99
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
By the same token, in preparation for Ford Australia's manufacturing shutdown, the FPV brand and its range were discontinued in 2014.

So the Aussie Mustangs have been selling in great numbers for the last 3 or so years, while you could not buy a new FPV.

The Mustang nameplate was always going to have greater desirability by consumers with over a 50-year heritage compared to a locally produced FPV with only 12 years of production.
Mustang's biggest achievement for Ford in Australia has been its ability to draw people into Ford showrooms that may have never considered buying a Ford before. Even people that are in no way a car enthusiast know what a Mustang is and that has helped raise Fords profile in the eyes of the average consumer.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #100
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Here we have Ford offering and telling us here's our replacement to the 4door sedan for starters with 2doors.
Yes it is unfair and has been from the get go but thats how it goes right hence the comparisons and media doing back to back tests vsing FPV's to GT
Sadly there is no replacement V8 sedan that is affordable from Ford anymore, any brand now that the Chrysler 300 is on death row. But the Mustang provides an outlet for consumers that love the brand and love the charisma only a V8 can bring. Another thing to consider Ford also had great success in selling two door V8 Falcon's in ute guise.

Mustang is certainly not for everyone, but the situation is greatly different if you happen to be a Holden/HSV man. Nothing new in those showrooms will fill that gap that local models have left, short of an overpriced converted Camaro.
Mustang GT

Old 25-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #101
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

https://www.supercars.com/videos/cha...e-new-mustang/
Mustang GT

Old 25-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #102
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Quote:
There was nothing said that I dont agree with. I would purchase one but I wont as I still have my FG. Those that dont will have the difficult choice between the Mustang or Focus RS
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #103
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Do you like 2 doors or 4 doors. N/A low power or supercharged performance.

Its a simple answer. Leave the mustang at the dealership....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #104
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

At the end of the day, who cares how common any given car is on the road? What does it matter?

It's about what car YOU and YOU ONLY are happy with.

Ultimately, what option is there after the Falcon. I reckon the GT Mustang is VERY tempting....I've sort of half considered it myself as a replacement for my G6ET.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #105
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Mustang's biggest achievement for Ford in Australia has been its ability to draw people into Ford showrooms that may have never considered buying a Ford before. Even people that are in no way a car enthusiast know what a Mustang is and that has helped raise Fords profile in the eyes of the average consumer.
Dunno about raising Fords profile in the eyes of the average consumer. Has anyone walked into a Ford showroom to see the Mustang and drove off in a new Mondeo or Focus? I think not.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #106
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post

N/A Mustang low power, yet more kw than supercharged falcon?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:23 AM   #107
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

At the end of the day, you cannot really compare a Mustang to a Falcon.

Forget about how common a car is, specs, performance, rarity, or whether the FPV is no longer made or collectable for a moment.

We should not even be comparing a Mustang to an FPV or other performance Falcon.

One is a sports car and the other a large family performance sedan for very different lifestyles, driving experiences and market segments.

If you have never considered buying a sports car, then one should not even consider looking at a Mustang.

It's a sports car, and there lies the problem. In Australia, we have never had one before the Mustang came along, (unless we throw in the Ford Capri convertible), our performance cars have mostly been 4 door sedans, with a few 2 door performance coupes like the Monaros, Falcon coupes and Valiant Chargers.

In America, nobody talks about or compares a Mustang to a 4 door sedan, because they have a range of locally produced 2 door competitors like the Camaro and Dodge Challenger to compare it too.

From owning mainly Falcons and a few Territories in my life, it is a very different driving experience going from a lifetime of driving and owning sedans once you step into a Mustang sports car.

They say it takes the brain two weeks to adjust to something "new" in your life.
If you are used to driving a sedan and you go and test drive a Mustang, it may feel very strange or foreign, so you may walk away with "mixed" feelings at first.

However, after two weeks of daily driving it, your brain and body will adapt, and a new excitement takes hold and you will experience a driving pleasure and fun factor that is so refreshing, it's hard to explain.

But again, it's not for everyone, and a sedan or SUV may be better suited for your own particular lifestyle, needs and driving pleasure.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #108
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I have never had a two door sports car. When they bring out a supercharged version I may add one to my stable..(cant have my territory putting out more power than the mustang). Might even get a convertible..

But I do hear the 2018 model is about 306Kw at the hubs compared to old 2017 at 250 - 260..

Sounds like 2018 is the pic with the upped power and tech...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Last edited by arronm; 26-07-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 26-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #109
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I find it odd that the FG GT has been around since , let's say for this illustration since 2010 so you would think in that time (8yrs) you would spot them in your day to day travels . My observations have been to the contrary I am seeing more Mustangs and HSV's that FG GT . Why is that?
Having been looking for another car, I'll take a stab at this. My suspicion is that the cars are being bought by people with different motives and intentions.

The xr8s and gts seem to be owned by collectors and enthusiasts, who know what they represent and know they won't be made again. Some of the cars have 150,000+ mileage on them, sure. But they probably aren't used as daily drivers, despite their four door 'family car' configuration.

Mustang owners can and do use their cars everyday. I think that's the key difference. Ford is still making mustangs, so running up miles on one is no big issue. Parts might be easier to get too, on an ongoing model. Despite the two door layout, I suspect Mustang owners like their cars so much they want to drive themeveryday. I get that.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #110
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes it is unfair and has been from the get go but thats how it goes right hence the comparisons and media doing back to back tests vsing FPV's to GT Mustangs originally etcetc
Very unfair and thats what we have to stomach.
I can never see a GT350/500 coming due to the huge ADR costs involved etcetc so it sure is damn unfair for thats the only Factory version I would place in my garage barring a Bullet at this stage........

I think we will see GT350/500 down under but i think Fords marketing is smart they,ll run the base Mustang till everyones had there fill and they stop selling them , then theyll release the performance versions and sell a whole lot more....even get people going in to just look at the performance versions realising they cant afford one and the salesman says well you could afford this GT here and sell them a sticker pack.....and sell a few more

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #111
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post

NA Low power??? Current mustang puts out more power than the Supercharged XR8 and is quicker to 100. Uses less fuel doing it too.

I drive both back to back... my pick is the Mustang with the 10 speed as a better daily driver over the xr8. I would say the mustang is better around a track too.

Like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, people need to look past their rose tinted glasses. As much as i love my XR8, Falcon WAS a great car, but its been left behind. It was left behind 10 years ago when ford decided it wasn't going to make it any more.

Spend some time in a 2018 mustang, then go and sit back in a falcon. I know where i'd rather be. If you don't need a 4 door, then its nice to have Mustang as an alternate option.

The number of KW an engine makes is really only a small part of what makes a car drive how it does. Consider suspension, gearbox, exhaust, weight distribution, chassis etc. Falcon can't even hope to compete against some of the newer stuff out there.

Falcon is a great example of Australian motoring history, but the market has spoken and there is a reason why it isn't around anymore.

To all the die hards, at some point you probably won't want to be driving your 20 year old falcon daily so what other option have you got. You want a high performance ford...You only have 1 choice right now.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #112
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
N/A Mustang low power, yet more kw than supercharged falcon?
339kW vs 335kW... the 'Stang has more power on paper but in the real world, the FPV is pushing 380kW as long as ambient temps are below 35 degrees.

335kW is the minimum output the engine makes in the worst conditions.

And I'm not even going to compare their torque curves...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #113
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DK30RB like most on here we can't afford one of each and the OP wanted opinions on the cars in everyday life. He knows a 4 door from a 2 door and i am sure he is aware of the Kw value of each engine he just needs to know what people think of the mustang as he already has his car for comparison.
The Falcon died , not because it wasn't doing a good job but because the SUV sector is taking over in just about every brand there is even the supercar brands are now making one, so that says more about peoples needs than it does about the performance of the car
The Falcon is ( was ) a great car especially in FPV guise , the mustang is also a great car as world sales have shown and it has some great modern features, but those of us lucky to have performance based Falcons i would suggest heated and cooled seats changeable dashes with every sort of gauge imaginable are not worth the extra it would cost to change to a mustang. The only thing i would agree would be magnificent on the Falcon is the exhaust, that aside I would choose an R Spec or a GTF in a heartbeat. A mate of mine, also a Ford man, often tells me , the next Ford they make is the best Ford and .....sometimes he is right , but not always.My opion only.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #114
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

So much dissection of both cars. Drive a Mustang, if it suits your needs and you like it, buy one. If you need a sedan which happens to go fast, and stands out as Mustangs are increasingly not doing, i'm shocked how many i see every day, stick with what you've got. 1/2 a second down a quarter or improved handling in the hills isn't going to matter a great deal to you in your daily drive if thats your thing. It you want to form a spreadsheet and make a analytical choice, skip it. The Mustang is likely the breadwinner on the tick a box.

It was great while we had a fast family sedan to choose from that was made right here in what once was the lucky country...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #115
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

If only..... This would have evened up the score.

Old 26-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #116
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The mustang must be a great car , I see them everywhere when I drive. The colours are bright so they really stick out. So I agree they are bought as dailys, kept stock and just driven.

The real hot models will come downunder , we just have to wait. Once it comes with a supercharger the potential can be released. With an N/A just not much to gain. Just like the 5.4 XR8 and Gt's.

Once this happens the real enthusiasts will go crazy.....

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #117
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We should not even be comparing a Mustang to an FPV or other performance Falcon.

One is a sports car and the other a large family performance sedan for very different lifestyles, driving experiences and market segments.

If you have never considered buying a sports car, then one should not even consider looking at a Mustang.

It's a sports car, and there lies the problem. In Australia, we have never had one before the Mustang came along, (unless we throw in the Ford Capri convertible), our performance cars have mostly been 4 door sedans, with a few 2 door performance coupes like the Monaros, Falcon coupes and Valiant Chargers.

In America, nobody talks about or compares a Mustang to a 4 door sedan, because they have a range of locally produced 2 door competitors like the Camaro and Dodge Challenger to compare it too.

From owning mainly Falcons and a few Territories in my life, it is a very different driving experience going from a lifetime of driving and owning sedans once you step into a Mustang sports car.

A Mustang a sports car ? No.
It is a coupe … just like a Monaro, Falcon hard top or Charger. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-definition/
And I think by now that the OP has decided his set of wheels..

Last edited by PG2; 26-07-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: No need for that rubbish.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #118
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I risk upsetting a moderator here …. shock , horror !
It is a coupe … just like a Monaro, Falcon hard top or Charger. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-definition/
So this is a "Sports Car"...

But this is not?...

Please explain your definition of a "Sports Car".
6 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #119
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I risk upsetting a moderator here …. shock , horror !
Wrong, there are no 4 door Mustangs ....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #120
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One is a red sports car, the other is a red convertible.
https://www.ford.com.au/performance/...p-return-model
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post