Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
DOOZIE DAISY

Default Coding new keys

Getting a new ignition and door lock set for my s3 xr8,can a normal locksmith do the new key coding or do I need to take it to fraud?
Long story short my door and ignition keys are different and I only have one ignition key,if I lose it im cactus.
I found info on how to code to an existing key but not how to code two new keys that are unknown to the bcm.
cheers
DOOZIE DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
DOOZIE DAISY

Default Re: Coding new keys

Did some ringing around of locksmiths and got a good guy who can code and cut me a new key and recut my door lock to suit my keys,too easy
Old 24-09-2017, 02:24 AM   #3
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Get an ELM327 cable for around $10 and FORScan for free and you can code keys yourself.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
plumtreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Get an ELM327 cable for around $10 and FORScan for free and you can code keys yourself.
Sounds good! I will have to find out more about this....and thanks for any more info you can provide
plumtreed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
DOOZIE DAISY

I have to get my door lock cut/modified to suit the keys so easier for the locksmith to do the lot.
Old 24-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
DOOZIE DAISY

Quote:
Can you pull codes and whatnot with the elm cable and forscan and do you also need a laptop?
Tried ti find a codereader for my xr8 with no luck.
Old 25-09-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZIE DAISY View Post
I have to get my door lock cut/modified to suit the keys so easier for the locksmith to do the lot.
The locksmith doesn't need to so anything to do with the door lock, ignition switch, etc.

The locksmith will be able to get the key cutting code from Ford Australia. You give the locksmith the car VIN and he gets the code from Ford.

The key blank then gets put into his cutting machine. He enters the code and the machine cuts the key to match the car.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 25-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #8
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZIE DAISY View Post
Can you pull codes and whatnot with the elm cable and forscan and do you also need a laptop?
Tried ti find a codereader for my xr8 with no luck.
Get an ELM327 cable from eBay, AliExpress.com or somewhere local.

You'll need a laptop to run FORScan.

I use Windows 7, running on my Apple MacBook Pro using Parallels (ie that's the software that runs Windows from within Mac OS X).
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 26-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
DOOZIE DAISY

Quote:
The locksmith doesn't need to so anything to do with the door lock, ignition switch, etc.

The locksmith will be able to get the key cutting code from Ford Australia. You give the locksmith the car VIN and he gets the code from Ford.

The key blank then gets put into his cutting machine. He enters the code and the machine cuts the key to match the car.
The door lock and ignition have different keys,i only have one key for the ignition.
The ignition is not the original unit that came with the car either,i did a manual conversion and only got the ignition and 1 key,not the door lock to suit the donor car which is why im getting the original door lock cut to suit
Old 26-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
DOOZIE DAISY

Quote:
Get an ELM327 cable from eBay, AliExpress.com or somewhere local.

You'll need a laptop to run FORScan.

I use Windows 7, running on my Apple MacBook Pro using Parallels (ie that's the software that runs Windows from within Mac OS X).
Isnt there a code reader you can buy instead of having to use a laptop and install software etc,i dont even know how to do that stuff...
I did buy an sp tools obd2 code reader but apparently wouldn't work with my car(s3 xr8).
Im more than happy to pay for a decent code reader if someone could give me a heads up on which one would work?