Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
Brian_H

Default Sunroof For FG-X

Hi all, Can anyone offer advice or suggestion on a sunroof for my Sprint when it arrives please? I was surprised to find Ford won't build one in at the factory these days and have had conflicting stories about why. Some say it won't be strong enough, some say there's little room to do it properly. Others say I will lose the sunglass holder (!).

My main concerns are:

- strength/safety once roof is cut. Does Ford really know something here and not put them in?

- reliability of the current popular models installed (what are the big names popular with FG-X?)

- is the Hollandia twin panel model as it looks on paper in the brochure? Am I better off sticking with a traditional single panel design?

- resale value? Are there people who'll be turned off by a roof when I sell eventually?

- prices? Last time I looked was years ago and they were $2,500+ for most cars for a quality powered roof.

- is there actually a roof that Ford at least endorses for the FG/FG-X?

- any warranty issues fitting an aftermarket roof to an FG/FG-X?

So, it's just the one or two questions then . . . cheers, B.

Patiently Awaiting: Winter White XR6 Sprint, build #141.
Brian_H is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: Sunroof For FG-X

Go away kermit you keep blowing your cover by asking the same repeat questions over different forums.

I know you love a bbq but the glass type ol' son will be your undoing

cheers

Last edited by GasoLane; 29-02-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

In regards to your sunroof question have a look in the Show n Shine section at Professor Farnsworth and Psychbimbo's threads. They have pics of both.

Last edited by GasoLane; 29-02-2016 at 11:27 AM.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the FG-FGX forum:
http://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=350

In the top right corner of the topics list is a "search this forum" box.

Click on it, and type in "sunroof"

There will be 29 results, and at least 4 of them are direct questions about the FG sunroof, and deliver all the answers.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally wouldn't worry about safety if all they do is cutting the sheet metal. It's just thin wobbly metal that gains it strength by being braced and bonded with the car. If they do need to cut bracing they do offer bracing kits but check it all out.

I personal don't like the twin panel roofs, I would rather have a single panel that opens.

Not sure on resale, personally I would pay a premium for a sunroof on the used market.

Also check and list it with the insurance company so it is added with the policy.

With heavily enforced speed limits and heavy traffic nowadays, anything that increases the feel good factor or exhilaration of everyday driving is worth every dollar in my books. Sunroofs make driving a lot more enjoyable for me, they are great.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Ditto to Brazen's comments above

Save yourself the bother mate and go directly to Webasto @ Kirrawee - contact number is (02) 8536 4800 - http://www.webasto.com/au/

I have had 3 fitted by them over the years all to different cars, totally professional job and no fuss. the last was fitted to my previous ride (from new) 2011 Focus when I took deiivery the dealer told me it couldn't be done (they were full of it)

This one was from the Hollandia 700 series and was a tilt and slide

http://www.webasto.com/au/markets-pr...iding-sunroof/
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sun Glass holder in FGX does not exist. So get the sunroof.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G6e has the sunglass holder in the fgx, don't know if the sprints will have them.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone had a sunroof fitted to their GTF. Personally I wouldn't do it on a limited edition car but then again I have never had a sunroof either.

Current Rides
2014 FGX XR8 - Kinetic, auto.
Mods: Manta Twin 3" S/S Cat Back - Loud Version, DPE High Flow Cats, KPM Streetfighter Stage 2 Intercooler, KPM Twin Air Filter, Herrod High Flow Fuel Pump, JLT/Herrod Oil Catch Can.
Tuned by Monsta Torque to 403rwkw.
2013 Ranger XL - White.

Previous Rides
2005 BA MK 2 XR8 - Winter White, auto, custom twin 2 1/2" s/s exhaust, pacemaker extractors.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They didn't put it in for a reason on the FG because it wouldn't achieve the 5 star safety rating. Not to say it would be completely unsafe if you did it. All depends on the crash type...however if I were buying a used Sprint I wouldn't be looking at the one that has had a hole cut in the roof (that's just me) it's your car though.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Brian_H

Giant thanks to everyone who's posted here. I'm taking it all in and learning so much. Thank you for all the valuable advice and the links too. Very, very much appreciated! Cheers, Brian.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 AM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have FG 2009 and put a roof in a couple of years ago, love it, wife doesn't. She has a convertible, I love it, she never uses it. I actually wish my FG was a convertible. With the blind pulled open it is noisier than standard. Of course the same when the roof is open. I do get some boom boom inside the cabin at times. It is great getting in on a stinker day having left it open and the car is much cooler. The consul lid gets hot when the sun burns down into the car. Here on Gold Coast and QLD there is a bloke who does many many roofs for dealers for new cars etc prolly 75% or more around and he is mobile so comes to your house. Takes about 6 hours I think iirc and cost about 2200. Perfect job too and if you are home and there is a variation he can ask there and then. Webasto in Syd and Prestige in Syd and Melb both have great reps. Do it, get one. Enjoy.
As for the safety aspect, yes they cut a bar out from across the roof which Ford wont do because of 4/5 stars. I don't intend ending up on my roof and I don't think it would bother side impact too much and about that, I don't care.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #13
Brian_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
I have FG 2009 and put a roof in a couple of years ago, love it, wife doesn't. She has a convertible, I love it, she never uses it. I actually wish my FG was a convertible. With the blind pulled open it is noisier than standard. Of course the same when the roof is open. I do get some boom boom inside the cabin at times. It is great getting in on a stinker day having left it open and the car is much cooler. The consul lid gets hot when the sun burns down into the car. Here on Gold Coast and QLD there is a bloke who does many many roofs for dealers for new cars etc prolly 75% or more around and he is mobile so comes to your house. Takes about 6 hours I think iirc and cost about 2200. Perfect job too and if you are home and there is a variation he can ask there and then. Webasto in Syd and Prestige in Syd and Melb both have great reps. Do it, get one. Enjoy.
As for the safety aspect, yes they cut a bar out from across the roof which Ford wont do because of 4/5 stars. I don't intend ending up on my roof and I don't think it would bother side impact too much and about that, I don't care.
Thanks deesun, Great insights, I hear you about the 4/5 stars and being upside down. You could drive all your life and not come close to flipping the car over. I don't think the missing bar would make a difference either. The sunroof frame/mounting structure would surely add some strength. Obviously I need to speak with Webasto here in Sydney but love getting all the info beforehand from you guys. Much appreciated, cheers, Brian.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done a few Hollandia systems from Webasto at Kirrawee.

Quality is awesome and looks quite factory fitted.

Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

With regard to some of the previous questions asked, the following remarks are from the FAQ's page on the Webasto website

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. When I bought my wagon it was $1500 cheaper than any other I looked at AND it had a sunroof. When I sold it I got what a wagon without a sunroof in its condition was worth. And I hardly ever used it. Great gimmick but but it doesn't turn a car into a convertible. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a sunroof in my 2009 fg and loved it. Webastro at Kirawee and took 2 days. Yes I lost my sunglasses holder and I thought it was a little too far back. Yes they apparently cut a bar from the roof too. On a recent trip from Melbourne to Sydbey I saw three cars on their roof! Nonetheless I will get one soon in my FGX. Love them

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. When I bought my wagon it was $1500 cheaper than any other I looked at AND it had a sunroof. When I sold it I got what a wagon without a sunroof in its condition was worth. And I hardly ever used it. Great gimmick but but it doesn't turn a car into a convertible. Cheers MD
That's fine but the reason why I haven't bought an FG or FGX is because they don't make them with a sunroof from the factory. Since having my AU XR8, I will never buy another car without a sunroof. It should be an option on every car.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've recently purchased a FG XR50 and I'll be getting the sun roof installed a little later. I heard the argument on the removal of the bar reducing the structural strength but the whole sunroof cassette is bolted in AND glued to the roof panel - wouldn't this be just as strong or even stronger???

Ah well, Sunroof city (here in Adelaide) have given me an approx price of just over two grand to fit one and it will take two days. Tax Time will be here before I know it!!!

I've also wanted one in the wagon for years now - now that it's in semi-retirement I just might do it if i decide to repaint it!!

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #20
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
That's fine but the reason why I haven't bought an FG or FGX is because they don't make them with a sunroof from the factory. Since having my AU XR8, I will never buy another car without a sunroof. It should be an option on every car.
So you don't want to buy a very new safer car just because it may have 1 star rating less? Surely a new FG/X with an aftermarket sunroof would still be safer than a 17 year old AU.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
gtpgav

Have put sunroofs in my FG GTP and FGX XR8. Both Hollandia 700's. No dramas with sunglass holder in GTP thats where they located the control switch and they moved the overhead lights back a little. Personally I like sunroofs and wouldn't hesitate to install in any car I own including upcoming Sprint 6 and my wifes Mustang. I usually only use them in tilt mode though as it can get a bit hot with roof open(QLD).

Its your car and if you like sunroofs get one.
Mustang 5lt Hardtop Manual Ruby Red MY17
gtpgav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post