Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #151
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: FG X XR6 Turbo - Limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Considering the F6 ute faded away a good 18months before the F6 sedan did id be surprised if they did do one.
True but that wasn't the final Falcon ute and based on XR8 pricing I would imagine an FGX310 ute would be over $10K cheaper than the last F6 ute.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #152
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
I'm pretty confident this car will happen, the next question is will they also do it in ute form?
It would be a fitting send off for the I6 and last falcon ute.
Unlike the 335 5.0 in the XR8, the 310 I6 has already been used in the FG F6 ute so there is no reason why they can't do a limited edition ute also.
Fingers crossed.
I wonder if they might just do something similar to what they did with the GTF.
When I look at the dragstrip results and GPS data from my own untuned XR6 T, plus the times that another untuned FG Turbo has achieved (measured by my GPS timing gear), and also stock results on "Ford XR6 Turbo.com". It's clear to me that these cars are already producing way over the quoted 270 kW/533 Nm when they are in overboost mode, just like the GT Miami gets a lot more than 335 kW.

When the FG Turbo's were released the XR8 was also upgraded (to 290 kW/520 Nm) and as I recall the journalists were very quick to comment on just how much faster the Turbo was . At the time Ford did mention the Turbo's overboost feature, but I don't recall any suggestions of just how much more power and torque it gave the engine.
So as it is, I'd say most people think of the Turbo as only having 270 kW.

Now if they did a similar upgrade to what they did with the GTF and hinted at what the engine could really achieve in overboost mode, perhaps a lot of people might sit up and take notice.
I can't see Ford wanting to spend too much on development or the cost of building the cars, perhaps it might come down to how many of the small Turbo units vs how many of the F6 Turbo units that they have in stock, or how much more it would cost to use the larger Turbo and upgraded F6 internal engine parts, plus hand building the engines.
Whatever the case though, the normal Turbo cars are a bit lighter and already very close to an F6 in straight line performance with the F6 just being a bit faster from around 5000 rpm to peak revs (I've collected quite a bit of F6 GPS data achieved under known conditions).

I think it wouldn't take much to make the normal Turbo clearly a bit faster than the F6 has been.

I guess whatever is done, the business case has to stand up. The above is just my idea and I might be wrong, but I have noted that when rumours of hotter car models start, there is often some truth in them, but the rumours are often a bit optomistic.

Last edited by 2242100; 15-01-2015 at 12:52 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #153
Sioso
irregular member

From what I have read the overboost function in the XR6T = 10% increase in torque, no mention of increase in kw but obviously there would be.
533nm + 10% = 586nm.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #154
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I'd buy a car off a salesman who knew a bit of history rather than one who doesn't. I dunno, for me it's about being enthused about what you're selling and if you don't know what a Tickford badge is then you probably don't care about the product as much as screwing me out of my money...
Weird. Personally, I'd by a new car off a salesperson that is willing to give me the best deal.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #155
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
From what I have read the overboost function in the XR6T = 10% increase in torque, no mention of increase in kw but obviously there would be.
533nm + 10% = 586nm.
Interestingly, from what I've seen I think the overboost is worth about 10% or just a bit more in pace.

In the case of the the other standard FG Turbo Auto that my timing gear was used on, it had been continually driven like a little old ladies car, and it took a bit of agressive treatment (followed by cooldown runs) before it showed the same pace as my car (and even then it was still changing up earlier). I recall the difference in pace being around 10-12%.

Also as I've mentioned before, on one occasion I gave my car a high (22-2300 rpm) stall up before a 0-100 run on a high grip surface. However the back brakes didn't hold with the result that the rear wheels started slowly turning but the front wheels were still locked. I eased off and stalled the transmission up again, but the run had been ruined, the result was a 0-100 time that was about 10-12% off the pace.

So I'm thinking that the electronic nannies probably disabled the overboost on this occasion.

Last edited by 2242100; 15-01-2015 at 06:06 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #156
Nial@BlueHive
Starter Motor

Hi NX74205,

I love your passion.

I’m from Blue Hive, Ford’s marketing and advertising agency, and we’re reaching out to the real fans to hear their thoughts on all things Ford.

Is it okay if I private message you and we set up a chat?

Cheers,
Nial

Blue Hive Australia. The Ford Marketing & Advertising Agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
... or two, and let people decide which engine they want.

It would be great to see the 310kW XR6T with 275 section rear tyres and launch control.
Nial@BlueHive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #157
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit late to be marketing the Falcon , should have done that 10 years ago
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #158
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nial@BlueHive View Post
Hi NX74205,

I love your passion.

I’m from Blue Hive, Ford’s marketing and advertising agency, and we’re reaching out to the real fans to hear their thoughts on all things Ford.

Cheers,
Nial

Hey Nial,
Since you're here, I've always wondered why there was no advertising for FG Falcons prior to there release back in 2008??
And contrary to some adverse comments on this forum regarding that perky little chic in current ads ... I like her and think she's the best thing you've done in recent times.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #159
FGX008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nial@BlueHive View Post
Hi NX74205,

I love your passion.

Cheers,
Nial

Hi Nial

If Ford is still in the business of marketing to the "real fans" I would like to know where are the marketing $ for the V8s and which is front and centre on the national media promoting the Ford brand through the Ford Falcon FGX. In my view your marketing department has been missing in action for a long time. If you want genuine feedback from real fans I would recommend you cast a wider net and read through some of commentary detailed in several threads in this forum about Fords lack of effective brand promotion. On a 1 to 10 scale (with 10 being the highest) I would rate the marketing performance as a negative.

Cheers, Brent
Old 01-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #160
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX008 View Post
Hi Nial

If Ford is still in the business of marketing to the "real fans" I would like to know where are the marketing $ for the V8s and which is front and centre on the national media promoting the Ford brand through the Ford Falcon FGX. In my view your marketing department has been missing in action for a long time. If you want genuine feedback from real fans I would recommend you cast a wider net and read through some of commentary detailed in several threads in this forum about Fords lack of effective brand promotion. On a 1 to 10 scale (with 10 being the highest) I would rate the marketing performance as a negative.

Cheers, Brent
I think that's a bit harsh. Granted Ford doesn't advertise the Falcon but I'm seeing lots of Ford ads otherwise. And really why would they want to spend big dollars on advertising for something that doesn't sell well? Maybe it would sell better with advertising but the fact remains that Australian has fallen out of love with big RWD sedans.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #161
Jess1992

It's kind of hard to sell things people don't want regardless of Good marketing
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post