Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #31
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Ford Culls Mondeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
There are two levels of turbo petrol engines in the Mondeo. A 149kw version for Ambiente hatch and a 177kw version for Trend and Titanium hatch.

Going by the pathetic sales numbers of the similar in concept Holden Insignia VXR, a Mondeo ST wouldn't be worth the effort for Ford.

Mondeo doesn't sell in this market because the segment is a dying. Ford also don't pursue fleet sales (Toyota Camry) or bribe dealers to artificially increase sales numbers (ZB Commodore) for the Mondeo.
Pardon my ignorance. I've been test driving cars and it feels like my head is full.

BA LTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #32
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Mondeo has always ever sold in the hundereds in OZ.It has never been a big seller.As I alluded to in a previous post it should have been axed a while ago.
Going by that theory, every car in the medium segment other than the Camry should be axed.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Going by that theory, every car in the medium segment other than the Camry should be axed.
Exactly. Only Camry has ever sold over 1000 a month and even that has declined over 50% recently. 200-400 sales a month is about the norm for mid size sedans/hatches.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Yes but,Mondeo has never ever sold well.Sales have always been mediocre at best.So that argument doesn’t stand up.Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #35
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
The days of everyone driving boxes on wheels are getting closer every time another sedan or hatch is deemed to be failing . hackney hit the nail on the head IMO..As each year passes we are being directed down the SUV/crossover path and Ford are a leading player in this regard. Won't be too much longer and affordable cars not SUV/crossover will be rare beasts .
Trouble is though,Ford’s SUV range sales are mediocre @ best for August,Ecosport 84,Escape 403(some months way under 400 units)but in the UK as Kuga it is always in the 10 with over 2,700 sales,(July)& Everest 460 odd.Way,way out of the top ten.Without Ranger they would be in a lot of trouble.Ford down 10.3%.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:18 AM   #36
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but,Mondeo has never ever sold well.Sales have always been mediocre at best.So that argument doesn’t stand up.Cheers
Aside from the Camry, name another mid sized car that has done well. Not counting the C Class, which I'd argue isn't in the same class, Mondeo had always been number two or three in the segment, wrestling with the Mazda 6 for runners up honours a long way behind the Camry, but ahead of other mid sizers like Liberty and Accord. Even the VW Passat struggles in this segment.

So yes, naddis01 is absolutely spot on.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Before Trump imposed import tariffs, the head of Toyota was warning Toyota North America
that costs were increasing and in a familiar move, suggested that importing Camry would be
cheaper than building them there. Fortunately, tariffs seem to have saved the US plant for now..
Leave the workers alone. What they should do is move all the CEO’s and upper managers to Thailand and China and pay them in local currency. Imagine how much they would save.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Leave the workers alone.
Not suggesting that, simply showing that Toyota are fair weather friends.
The whole reason Camry flourishes in the US is because it's made there.

Last edited by jpd80; 12-09-2018 at 06:25 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #39
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not suggesting that, simply showing that Toyota are fair weather friends.
The whole reason Camry flourishes in the US is because it;s made there.
Aus version is made in Japan.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Aus version is made in Japan.
It's still imported.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #41
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Aside from the Camry, name another mid sized car that has done well. Not counting the C Class, which I'd argue isn't in the same class, Mondeo had always been number two or three in the segment, wrestling with the Mazda 6 for runners up honours a long way behind the Camry, but ahead of other mid sizers like Liberty and Accord. Even the VW Passat struggles in this segment.

So yes, naddis01 is absolutely spot on.
Last time I looked even the Skoda Octavia(182)outsold Mondeo(128).Camry led the segment(It’s sales are only going to improve) Mazda6 just under 289 units,followed by Passat @ 208.You say they are struggling,but nowhere near Mondeo.C-class in the UK sits a #10.( They don’t seem to segregate their vehicle classes.)As far as the C Class & Mondeo go in the UK they are in the same class.Mondeo is not even in the top ten there.

Last edited by hackney; 12-09-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #42
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's still imported.
Indeed it is,but I suspect it would be better quality vehicle than its American cousin.Know what I would rather own.Cheers
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #43
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Last time I looked even the Skoda Octavia(182)outsold Mondeo(128).Camry led the segment(It’s sales are only going to improve) Mazda6 just under 289 units,followed by Passat @ 208.You say they are struggling,but nowhere near Mondeo.
Ok, so at what point do the sales numbers point to a model that's "struggling"? Where is the threshold?

The point is that every other car other than the Camry struggles to gain traction in the medium segment. Mondeo is not alone. If you say that the Mondeo should be dropped, then the same should apply to every other medium sized car on the market, except the Camry.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed it is,but I suspect it would be better quality vehicle than its American cousin.Know what I would rather own.Cheers
The point is how Americans view a car that's made in America versus an import.
They're a lot more patriotic these days....apparently to the point of import tariffs...
Old 13-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney
Last time I looked even the Skoda Octavia(182)outsold Mondeo(128).Camry led the segment(It’s sales are only going to improve) Mazda6 just under 289 units,followed by Passat @ 208.You say they are struggling,but nowhere near Mondeo.C-class in the UK sits a #10.( They don’t seem to segregate their vehicle classes.)As far as the C Class & Mondeo go in the UK they are in the same class.Mondeo is not even in the top ten there.
Camry sales aren't improving at all. They continue to drop. This is for the first half of the year, and it has continued to decline since then.

Into the medium sedans and it looks like the Toyota Camry is holding onto top position since switching from an Australian-made model to the new Japanese-made model. Sales are down 35.9 per cent YTD however, which is a big drop. This isn’t helped by a general decline for the segment, with June figures down 42.2 per cent and YTD down 29.5 per cent for the class.

If you factor in the numbers for Aurion, which was still basically a Camry, then the numbers look even worse, cause the Camry V6 (Aurion replacement) is included in Camry sales now where the Aurion was seperate.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #46
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bossxr8;6188759]Camry sales aren't improving at all. They continue to drop. This is for the first half of the year, and it has continued to decline since then.

Time will tell.In fact Camry gained more sales this month,August(1604) from 1317 of July.You also have to remember it is shifting from local assembly to full import,which I would think could also be an issue with supply.(this was mentioned a few months back.) Still pretty impressive figures though in this segment compared to everything else.Watch this space.Cheers
Old 13-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #47
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could have sworn Mondeo was culled ~10 years ago.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Time will tell.In fact Camry gained more sales this month,August(1604) from 1317 of July.You also have to remember it is shifting from local assembly to full import,which I would think could also be an issue with supply.(this was mentioned a few months back.) Still pretty impressive figures though in this segment compared to everything else.Watch this space.Cheers
They have lost all government sales and buy australia policies no longer exist. That has cost them a lot of sales, although they still sell a lot to fleets and rentals.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #49
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They have lost all government sales and buy australia policies no longer exist. That has cost them a lot of sales, although they still sell a lot to fleets and rentals.

In south East Qld I see 4 new Camrys for every new ZB Commodore.

Both my gen y daughters and son in laws want to buy Camry,s.

Sad Commodores legacy has gone.

But personally I would have a ZB over a Camry. Acceleration and handling.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #50
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
In south East Qld I see 4 new Camrys for every new ZB Commodore.

Both my gen y daughters and son in laws want to buy Camry,s.

Sad Commodores legacy has gone.

But personally I would have a ZB over a Camry. Acceleration and handling.
I’d have neither, but gun to my head I’d pick Camry. Newest model looks half decent really. Camry has reputation and reliability on its side.

ZB is an unknown. Hasn’t got the reputation and looks pretty ugly. However, regardless of that I’d not buy one purely because they decided to use the Commodore badge when it’s not even a little bit Commodore.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #51
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep in mind that with a lot of small to medium cars, there's a lot of platform sharing, including so called SUVs.

The previous Mondeo Platform, also underpinned Jags, Volvos, Mazdas, Lincolns, People Movers, a couple of crossovers, and the NA Fusion.

The problem is that Mulally's "One Ford" was billed as a Global approach, when in fact it was a foolish attempt to return to Ford's xenophobic origins. If something doesn't sell in America, it gets axed. On the plus side it pushed them to make the Mustang available globally, but the Mustang is something of an Enigma. It's a legendary icon, and literally has a life of its own, but it's increasingly difficult to believe it is a Ford product. Basically, unless you want a Fat-*** SUV, you're out of luck.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #52
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****!

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 14-09-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: This seems to be the other symptom, multiple posts.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #53
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I’d have neither, but gun to my head I’d pick Camry. Newest model looks half decent really. Camry has reputation and reliability on its side.
Except they've now been caught, and even surpassed, by many others.
Besides, you're not old enough to buy a Camry
Quote:
However, regardless of that I’d not buy one purely because they decided to use the Commodore badge when it’s not even a little bit Commodore.
It's a re-badged Opel, how much more "Commodore" could you get?
Would it be better if they fitted the previous model's front-end, and an obsolete Buick engine?
Old 15-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #54
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

ZB is an unknown. Hasn’t got the reputation and looks pretty ugly. However, regardless of that I’d not buy one purely because they decided to use the Commodore badge when it’s not even a little bit Commodore.

Its a GM design and what Holden would have built here if manufacturing had continued in Aus.
Ugly - the grille is just awful side and rear is ok softer than Vf more euro.

Fix the grille Holden its just appalling.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #55
IanC

The Commodore isn't going to last anyway. The ZB is imported from Opel who have been sold to Peugeot. Peugeot will can it quick smart to make way for one of their own designs. Anyone who buys a ZB is getting a car that will soon be an orphan.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2018, 01:23 AM   #56
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
The Commodore isn't going to last anyway. The ZB is imported from Opel who have been sold to Peugeot. Peugeot will can it quick smart to make way for one of their own designs. Anyone who buys a ZB is getting a car that will soon be an orphan.

All current passenger and utility platforms are on borrowed time.............the car manufacturing industry realise this, consumers have been slow to catch on though.................

Cheers Mock
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #57
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Like people who bought the last falcon or territory?
Old 16-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Peugeot will leave it, they pretty much have a new car they haven't needed to pay development costs for...why would they can it?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Peugeot will leave it, they pretty much have a new car they haven't needed to pay development costs for...why would they can it?
PSA has already indicated that its wants to move away from GM legacy platforms
more quickly than previously expected.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #60
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Other than the fact that no one is buying them?

I’m not sure what I see less of on the roads, Kia Stinger, or the ZB. I’ve seen maybe 2-3 of each.

This makes me proud to see that us Australians aren’t the suckers car manufacturers think we are. We won’t buy a trash Camry competitor just because they slap a Commodore badge on it, nor will we pay SS and XR prices for a third world Kia sports sedan just because it’s an apparent replacement for them.