Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Coolant

Hi guys, my wife has a LS focus, and i was wondering what coolant people use. it currently has ford stuff in it (red), but having just found out ford want $134 for 5L of concentrate, i think i'll put something else in. how big is the system. surely i don't need 5L of concentrate.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coolant

If you change coolant types you are supposed to flush the whole system out.
The Ford red "organic" coolant lasts 4 years. The dilution ratio is usually 50% or 30% I think the Ford capacity is about 6 liters
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

The system has a 5L capacity. I used Nulon Red coolant, pre-mixed 50/50 concentration and only costs $30-$40 from memory.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

So does the RED stuff make the car go faster ?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
So does the RED stuff make the car go faster ?
You needed to ask? of course it does!
Probably about time I do mine heading into Summer - I assume if it lasts 4 years and mines an 06 model which ive owned for 2 its never been done...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nulon is the best.

If your after a top up its compatible with the ford stuff as well. But if your replacing the old stuff you will have to flush the old stuff out anyway.

Theres heaps of info here: http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Coo...op-Up_Coolant/
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

didn't notice before but according to the service manual, the coolant is good for 10years.
Old 15-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
didn't notice before but according to the service manual, the coolant is good for 10years.
Yeah I actually just read that today, that made me happy

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

bit of a thread mine but i'm now due (overdue) to do a coolant flush on the wife's focus. unlike when i started this thread 6 years ago, i'm now happy to pay the money and stick with the factory coolant ($105 now).

my question is, to flush the system, is there any tips or tricks i should be aware of. on my falcons that i've done in the past i would just drop the bottom hose, then reverse flush the radiator just with the garden hose (removed from car depending how easy it is) and also flush out the engine just with the garden hose also.

does the heater core drain automatically?

thanks for any advice.