Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

http://performancedrive.com.au/kia-w...r-report-1720/

Looks like HSV customers could have somewhere to go -KSV? 😂 Hope it uses the Tau V8 but in all likeliness tuned turbo V6 with more herbs and bi-modal exhaust. Also would it kill them to do a manual?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

Australian dealers have already put 30 orders for Stinger GT's and they haven't even announced the pricing.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...bout-40k-54374

They anticipate there will be a shortage on supply when its initially released which will keep its sales down to 200-300 a month.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I hope they have some demos. I'm seriously interested in taking a look at this car when it hits Australia.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I really like the look of it. With a V8 it would be pretty good.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

It's going to be hard to beat with the unlimited K's 7yr warranty.
Old 19-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
It's going to be hard to beat with the unlimited K's 7yr warranty.
Shamelessly thrashing the car knowing it's covered by 7 years warranty is definitely something. Could never do that in a Falcon as Ford don't stand by their product and usually blame the operator or find an excuse 'they all do that'.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Very nice looking rig, if I was looking for 4 door performance it would be near or at the top of the list that's for sure.....
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Shamelessly thrashing the car knowing it's covered by 7 years warranty is definitely something. Could never do that in a Falcon as Ford don't stand by their product and usually blame the operator or find an excuse 'they all do that'.
I'll be putting together a thread on the shameful way Ford have dealt with the two engine failures on my Sprint shortly. I was waiting to see how it played out and how empathetic and proactive Ford were in my case. I picked the car up today and have only just got home with it.

I'm seething over it. I'm one of Fords most loyal supporters. I've been patient and quite forgiving. That's all over, now I'm absolutely livid.

On the Stinger, looks like a cool car to fill the void left in the absence of a Ford and Holden offering. I don't reckon I'd buy one, but i don't really know why- probably badge snobbery? That said, I wouldn't buy a Merc or BMW either. I like the understated elitism offered by our local manufacturers, but it's all in the past and I'm going to have to suck it up and work out what the hell is next. I have been wondering what would be next.... I honestly have no idea.

Second hand Falcons I reckon.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I'll be putting together a thread on the shameful way Ford have dealt with the two engine failures on my Sprint shortly. I was waiting to see how it played out and how empathetic and proactive Ford were in my case. I picked the car up today and have only just got home with it.

I'm seething over it. I'm one of Fords most loyal supporters. I've been patient and quite forgiving. That's all over, now I'm absolutely livid.

On the Stinger, looks like a cool car to fill the void left in the absence of a Ford and Holden offering. I don't reckon I'd buy one, but i don't really know why- probably badge snobbery? That said, I wouldn't buy a Merc or BMW either. I like the understated elitism offered by our local manufacturers, but it's all in the past and I'm going to have to suck it up and work out what the hell is next. I have been wondering what would be next.... I honestly have no idea.

Second hand Falcons I reckon.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe try a Jag? It has RWD, the promise of an inline 6 ingenium turbo on the horizon, and a ride/handling reputation... just like Falcon. Going to cost a lot more for same spec (like the BMW, Merc as well) once the local industry is gone.

Edit: and +1 for 'understated elitism', that's a very good term for describing what the top-of-line locals represented throughout the country for a very long time.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
That's an unknown.....
Ford have had 14 years of people tuning and modding and thrashing their performance cars and then bringing them in for warranty repairs....
Doesn't excuse some of the horror stories on innocents but it is what is was.

This will be new territory for Kia in selling cars to potential enthusiasts who will probably want to lower them , tune them , adjust the boost , mod the exhaust etc etc...
Only a matter of time before KIA borrows the technical manual from Ford and starts diagnosing their warranty issues as " sorry mate , they all do that.....".

Won't take long I reckon before Kia's 7 year warranty on these sorts of cars is just lip service.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
That's an unknown.....
Ford have had 14 years of people tuning and modding and thrashing their performance cars and then bringing them in for warranty repairs....
Doesn't excuse some of the horror stories on innocents but it is what is was.

This will be new territory for Kia in selling cars to potential enthusiasts who will probably want to lower them , tune them , adjust the boost , mod the exhaust etc etc...
Only a matter of time before KIA borrows the technical manual from Ford and starts diagnosing their warranty issues as " sorry mate , they all do that.....".

Won't take long I reckon before Kia's 7 year warranty on these sorts of cars is just lip service.
Uncharted territory here, never before was Kia and Performance in the same sentence. Hopefully their pricing will be reflective of this. If it's less than the price of a SS commodore, they will have the whole market share to themselves. Then the aftermarket will see what that Kia is really made of and whether its just a fancy top hat on questionable engineering like Kia's of yesteryear were.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it

Glad to see it doesn't resemble the Toyota 86

Sent from ASUS ZE551ML ^_^ using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #13
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2014 Kia Rondo. 7 seater, more of a large hatch than an SUV or people mover. Got the SLi version with leather seats, dual zone AC etc. Has a 6 speed auto not CVT, handles OK and soaks up the bumps pretty well. Pretty sluggish though, really need to push it hard to get it moving but more than enough ooomph for the missus. No squeaks, rattles etc, just feels tight and quiet.

We have 3 kids so the middle row seating was a major consideration for us. The middle row seats are actually 3 separate seats, they are able to recline/slide individually which was a selling point for us as an adult can easily fit between the child seats on either side. Next time you check out an Outlander, X-Trail, Pajero Sport etc check out the middle row seat, especially the middle seat and how comfortable it is and how far apart the seat belt clips are - my missus bum didn't fit comfortably between them and she is a small lady. Most of the others seem designed for 2 rear passengers where the middle seat comfort is replaced with cup holders and arm rests.

Similar to this one:
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...4532604/?Cr=61

Last edited by jstanovic; 24-05-2017 at 12:50 AM.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Thought this was a Ford Forum

Symptomatic of why Ford pulled out of Australia

I wouldn't even consider anything other than a Ford

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF11GhiaZF6 View Post

It is a Ford forum, but this is also "The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk."

Rubbish, Ford didn't close manufacturing here because a few people were discussing/buying a KIA (of which came about years after Ford announced, let alone discussed their closure).

You may consider only Fords as many do and are entitled to, but that doesn't mean others can't look at different makes.

I cannot speak for everyone else here, but whilst I am a Ford fan, that doesn't mean i will blindly go and buy a brand new Ford just because of the badge. Buying a car for many is a large investment so they need to make sure it ticks most of the boxes. If the KIA does that, why is it such a problem?
Old 25-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
It is a Ford forum, but this is also "The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk."

Rubbish, Ford didn't close manufacturing here because a few people were discussing/buying a KIA (of which came about years after Ford announced, let alone discussed their closure).

You may consider only Fords as many do and are entitled to, but that doesn't mean others can't look at different makes.

I cannot speak for everyone else here, but whilst I am a Ford fan, that doesn't mean i will blindly go and buy a brand new Ford just because of the badge. Buying a car for many is a large investment so they need to make sure it ticks most of the boxes. If the KIA does that, why is it such a problem?
Ironically - the potential success of the STINKER - oops - STINGER will be attributed to the close of FORD / GM manufacturing...... as I'm sure the MUSTANG will be as well. Its the niche "performance" models that will come in for the kill now to fill the void.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe you should've considered buying a new one to help keep them producing cars in Australia.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #18
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
Maybe you should've considered buying a new one to help keep them producing cars in Australia.
Could never afford to buy any new car, and wouldn't have been prepared to take a $5000 hit after driving out of the showroom if I could have afforded to anyway.

The fact that Ford Falcons could and still can be bought secondhand in excellent condition is testament to the great car that the Falcon was and still is, doubt very much if the same will ever be the case with respect to the Kia's, Hyundai's and the like in the years to come, they will never be the "icon" the Falcon is.

Call me illogical, old fashioned, whatever, but they are not what I call a "real car", they are an entertainment centre on wheels, built to go on the scrap heap in short time.

"Stinker" is right on Bluey-GT

Would rather go overseas for a Ford any day, but would rather I didn't have to

My 2007 Ghia will still be running around in another 10years and hopefully so will i

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 26-05-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 25-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

George?

Given that you cannot Buy a "new" locally produced Ford anymore do you not see the relevance of this car?

Ford didn't pull out of Australia because of this particular Kia, that ship has sailed. but be assured its sure going to attract buyers formerly in the market for an XR6 etc.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2017, 03:50 AM   #20
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing Ford made suited our family needs. Neither did anything from Hyundai, Holden, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc etc. Why would I buy a car that didn't suit my needs just because it has a Ford badge? Sounds ridiculous to me
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Family needs are probably more cup holders than cc's, more mpg than miles in comfort, more gadgets than torque etc.

So an icon was sacrificed to a disposable plastic box full of cup holders with a turbo charged motor mower under the flimsy bonnet

The Falcon was/is a real "family car" and has been for many years

You will never see a video like this about the junk that is being produced by Kia, Hyundai and the like.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/videos/20...imeline-104161

Maybe one day people will come to their senses and realise they have been conned out of the pleasure of driving a real car like the Falcon, but somehow I doubt it, we Falcon owners should consider ourselves very lucky, maybe one day if we keep talking about them they will return

Very angry and sad all at the same time, end of rant

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 26-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 26-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is 510Nm not enough in a family sedan? Makes it feel "disposable" hey? lol. I have 1,025Nm right now, so I'm used to having a lot of torque, but 510 would be just fine.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your Hilarious George. such hatred

I guess the KIA's wont be keeping the Trans Doctor is business..
6 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #24
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon never had a look in - only has 5 seats and no wagon version. Territory is too big and too thirsty. Falcon is definitely not the multi use family car for today's needs. I have more usable space in the back of my Kia than my mates Falcon and a much more functional cabin. More cup holders too I reckon it would out do my mates Falcon in the corners too, straight line he would leave me for dead though.

But as a work ute my Falcon it hard to beat for what I use it for.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #25
Hawkeye84

Trim and equipment details were leaked from a "Dealer Bulletin"

http://www.caradvice.com.au/556276/k...aked-bulletin/

Still no pricing details
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #26
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kia/Hyundai not as good as Falcon......lmao. The worlds moved on, I'm a motoring enthusiast and love what's on the horizon. The Stinger will shyte on any Falcon comfort/touring wise. I grew up on Ford 6s, spent endless holidays as a kid travelling between Rockhampton and Sydney in a range of Ford 6s, and I've got one of the last F6s that I absolutely love and will have forever.......but to think these Stingers are less of a vehicle than a Falcon your only kidding yourselves. The worlds moved on. If my F6 is anything to go off then Ford would never have been so dumb as to offer a 7 year warranty on their Falcons - they would have gone outa business years ago.

I've got my Ford, I love it but I wouldn't compare it to what's now coming out. Bring on the Stinger I say.

As the Toyota boss has said recently - 'there's one thing that scares me - Hyundai'.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #27
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sound....the article does say they are still working on a better note though.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/549150/2...?source=plista

Looos alright too

2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #28
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I think the car looks great. Probably be the new NSW HWP car.

Interested- would like a manual box. But even with the auto box- think I will have to take one for a drive in 3 years time- if there is no manual and the auto sucks I will pass- but if a manual or an auto I can live with may be interested in getting one for a daily.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Kia/Hyundai not as good as Falcon......lmao. The worlds moved on, I'm a motoring enthusiast and love what's on the horizon. The Stinger will shyte on any Falcon comfort/touring wise. I grew up on Ford 6s, spent endless holidays as a kid travelling between Rockhampton and Sydney in a range of Ford 6s, and I've got one of the last F6s that I absolutely love and will have forever.......but to think these Stingers are less of a vehicle than a Falcon your only kidding yourselves. The worlds moved on. If my F6 is anything to go off then Ford would never have been so dumb as to offer a 7 year warranty on their Falcons - they would have gone outa business years ago.

I've got my Ford, I love it but I wouldn't compare it to what's now coming out. Bring on the Stinger I say.

As the Toyota boss has said recently - 'there's one thing that scares me - Hyundai'.
When have Kia ever made a car with ride/handling/steering as good as any Ford competitor? Never.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
When have Kia ever made a car with ride/handling/steering as good as any Ford competitor? Never.
BS - we've got a Hyundai as our second vehicle. My brother has a Kia as his second vehicle.

As I said I love my F6 but the world has moved on and will keep moving on. The cars will just keep
getting better.

EDIT - even thinking that way they're tuning them to Australian roads, you think they're wasting their time?

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 06-06-2017 at 02:59 PM.
2 users like this post: