Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
#1Batman
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus mk2 fuel pump problem

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. Have read a lot of good into on here and thought I’d sign up as I have a problem with my focus 😐. The fuel pump is not working. I have checked all fuses and replaced relays, I have checked the inertia switch and it’s ok, and I have replaced the fuel pump but still no luck. The fuel pump does not kick in at all, can’t hear it making any noise and no fuel coming up the line. The fuel gauge works fine, and I have spliced the main wire and run another wire to it and connected it to another power source when the key is turned on. This is only temporary to diagnose and move the car when I need to, because I’m worried it will do more damage by either not regulating fuel pressure or hurting the electrical system more. With the other power source hooked up the pump works great and car starts and runs beautifully. The engine light is also on. Can anyone shed some light on what it could be before I take it into a shop? Does the mk2 have a fuel pump driver module? Thanks heaps 😁
#1Batman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
#1Batman
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Focus mk2 fuel pump problem

Oh and it’s a 2005 mk2 Focus LS
Old 23-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
#1Batman
Starter Motor

Is it possible that the ecu is either stuffed up or the ecu has disabled the fuel pump because of an underlying issue or sensor?
Old 23-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Is there power going to the pump for starters with the ignition on?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
#1Batman
Starter Motor

No, that is the problem. No power at all to the pump when ignition is turned on
Old 24-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Ok you need to follow the wiring back and check for power at each connection, fuse, relay etc in the circuit until you eventually get to the battery. At some point you should have power. You will need the fuel pump wiring diagram to follow as you it may be a module or PCM that is getting power in but not out.

I have attached the pump wiring diagrams to try and help you (you will need to work out which ones you need).

2005 Focus Fuel Pump.pdf
Old 04-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
#1Batman
Starter Motor

Ok I have followed the wire back to the inside fuse box under the dash on passenger side, and the actual fuse box part itself makes noise. When I put my foot on the brake the fuse box clicks and sometimes like it’s shorting out with multiple rapid clicks noises. And when I remove my foot from the break it goes away. When I turn my headlights on, all power from the dash goes and the airbag light comes on. When I have the aircon on with nothing else it works great for a little bit then slowly loses power until nothing, then comes on again when it gains power again. The fuel pump doesn’t work by itself without jumping it to a 12 bolt power source, and then it runs great. If I have my foot on the break for more than about 10 seconds while the car is running, the brake light comes on and then goes away when the pedal is released. And also if I have the car in reverse, and I put my foot on the brake, all the tail lights go out except the brake lights, and the indicators play up too if I put my foot on the brake. So I’m pretty confident there is something going on in the actual fuse box under the dash. My question is, since it has multiple plugs going into it aswell as having relays and fuses, is it a module of some sort?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
#1Batman
Starter Motor

I have also removed all relays from the box and it still makes the noise. Am I able to just replace it with one from another car?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That fuse box is also known as either the Body Control Module (BCM) or Generic Electric Module (GEM).

You can swap one to test, but the vehicle will not start as it has to be programmed to the car and the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) for your keys has to also be programmed. But with the ignition on you should still test wipers, radio and power to other items (I think???).
Old 05-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
brucewarring

Also there is a fuel injection shutoff switch. The witch is located in the side panel in front of the drivers door above the accelerator...to reset it turn the ignition switch to position ...0
push the button in
turn the ignition switch to position 11, after a few seconds return to position 1
brucewarring is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
#1Batman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
That fuse box is also known as either the Body Control Module (BCM) or Generic Electric Module (GEM).

You can swap one to test, but the vehicle will not start as it has to be programmed to the car and the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) for your keys has to also be programmed. But with the ignition on you should still test wipers, radio and power to other items (I think???).
Ah ok, can a second hand one from another car be reprogrammed or does it have to be a new blank unit? And for the fuel shut off switch I have also tried that and no luck. Thanks though for the idea 😁👍
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #12
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Batman View Post
Ah ok, can a second hand one from another car be reprogrammed or does it have to be a new blank unit? And for the fuel shut off switch I have also tried that and no luck. Thanks though for the idea 😁👍
I believe you can program a second hand unit although most probably done through a Ford dealer as I am not sure what the aftermarket scanners can or cannot do?