Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ridiculous eBay Fees!!

I tend to buy a lot of stuff on eBay but I don't normally sell many items.

Now I know why, I sold an item for $25 and the fees were $11.09, how ridiculous is that and my add was free. That is money gouging at it's best.
Old 22-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ridiculous eBay Fees!!

It really is ridiculous. It’s why I use Gumtree for as many things as I can, and only ebay if it’s an item that needs a larger customer pool than my local area.

The ridiculousness started when PayPal became a compulsory payment option. Not only did you need to pay ebay fees, but fees to the ebay owned PayPal.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do need to be wary of eBay, it is a form of legalised theft, & PayPal is worse again.

The whole gig is set up for buyers, the sellers can get f**ked.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Remember eBay also owns Gumtree.

... How long will it be before Gumtree goes down the same path.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yes i agree! Absolutely crazy. Also sellers can return ANY items for a full refund, oh and buyers dont have to actually pay for the item if they change their mind despite winning an auction. Im a bit over ebay myself. I usually try to sell outside of ebay occasionally but of late have been banned twice as ebay are now trolling through all of my emails. Gumtree attracts all kinds of losers who never show up etc. And their email system is terrible, you almost cant find the item you ask a question about of they send you a reply!
Old 22-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Remember eBay also owns Gumtree.

... How long will it be before Gumtree goes down the same path.
When did this happen?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Absolute thieves. I sold a Samsung Galaxy S8 for $750, and got charged $95 in fees, 12.7%, 1/8th of the sale! You're charged listing fees, selling fees, fees on the postage, and paypal fees. I remember when eBay fees totaled 3-4% before greed set in (and Postage was exempt of any).

On another occasion, I tried sending a potential buyer my contact number via eBay messaging, and my account got blocked for 7 days for breaching T&Cs. What a crock, they're thieves, thieves, thieves!

I gave them a 0 star rating for a customer survey they sent me and gave them my mind. Will probably get swept under the carpet.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
It really is ridiculous. It’s why I use Gumtree for as many things as I can, and only ebay if it’s an item that needs a larger customer pool than my local area.

The ridiculousness started when PayPal became a compulsory payment option. Not only did you need to pay ebay fees, but fees to the ebay owned PayPal.
I don't bid on anything with Paypal only payment, most sellers still have a direct deposit option.

I sell (and buy) a lot on gumtree, posting Australia wide, never had a problem with direct deposit payers either but can see the day gumtree will go down the Paypal only route as their parent ebay is trying to control.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Their final value fee is levied on the total which includes the postage cost which is wearing thin real fast.
Killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Idiots.
Bill
Old 22-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
When did this happen?
July 1st 2005.

Reportedly, the Gumtree owners (2 Pommies) sold for US$ 81.6 million. Not a bad return for a website that only went online just 5 years prior!!

5 years.. 40 million each!! Not a bad payday that!
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Ebay, Airbnb, Uber etc - aint the digital sharing economy wonderful....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been an eBay member for almost 20 years now. In the early days, I did some selling. Probably the last time I sold a few things was around 2009.
The constantly send emails about "no listing fee sundays" and other crap (whoopee, saves me $1 out of a $30 fee).

I've also been hammered to do surveys about what it would take to get members to start selling again. Not once do any of the questions mention fees - all they mention are bull**** rewards for selling - like vouchers & other rubbish.

Each & every time I've used the "other" box to fill out "reduce your exhorbitant fees" as the only reason I don't sell on there. It seems to fall on deaf ears, as the next survey has the same questions...

To me, this is a clear indication of desperation tactics - they're trying to get people back, as the fees are driving them away in droves.

It's also interesting to talk to people from other countries. If you have contacts overseas who use eBay in their native land, just ask them about fees. You won't be surprised to learn that once again we pay the "Australia Tax" to another global empire who claim it's a level playing field...
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #13
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was selling my coupe last year on ebay and lost 2 potential sales because ebay would not let me give any contact details to customers who wanted to come and look before coughing up $20,000
Old 23-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

There doesn't seem to be any more newer sellers in the categories I search, probably being driven away by the fees and who can blame them.

I would want to contact the owner and see a car priced at $20 000 first.

Old 23-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Ebay is not friendly for individual sellers as it is now structured for businesses to sell products.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have not used eBay for years was great about 10-15 years ago, used to make a killing selling car parts, not worth the effort now, better off throwing the parts into the skip bin.

Funny thing is, eBay was killing the swap meets, I have now been selling stuff at Swap Meets again, making a killing taking a trailer load of parts, no packing, no posting, no PayPal, no BS feed back no fake bidders, Just cash in my pocket instantly.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #17
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the fees are BS, ebay must be making a killing with the fees sellers have to pay them now...

I remember back in the day the only money you would have to give them were a few $$$ when you listed the item and that was it.
Old 24-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Have not used eBay for years was great about 10-15 years ago, used to make a killing selling car parts, not worth the effort now, better off throwing the parts into the skip bin.

Funny thing is, eBay was killing the swap meets, I have now been selling stuff at Swap Meets again, making a killing taking a trailer load of parts, no packing, no posting, no PayPal, no BS feed back no fake bidders, Just cash in my pocket instantly.
With my luck other sellers start doing the same

With swap meets as a buyer, you can touch, feel and see what four buying you can negotiate a price and take it home with you then and there, not wait for some dick to get around to posting it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
Godzilla73

I got an email a few weeks ago saying Ebay would be joining up with a new payment partner though PayPal would still be offered.

Doubt much will change.
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
With my luck other sellers start doing the same
With swap meets as a buyer, you can touch, feel and see what four buying you can negotiate a price and take it home with you then and there, not wait for some dick to get around to posting it
Yes, more of the good old swap meets are making a come back, just ditch the bric a brac crap.

Old 24-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny thing with swap meets now is when I ask a seller what the price is they try to qualify the sometimes over the top price with, well thats what they sell for on Ebay.Well no thats not what they sell for,that is what some wishful thinker would like to get.Some things on Ebay are only one step short of rubbish dump material,which is probably where a lot of it ends up after no bids are made
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 years ago the ****ers started belting on at swaps about "well that's what they get on eBay" so I began to counter that with "why the **** did you drag your lazy *** out here in the stinking heat and bring all your crap with you, if you could have sat at home & sold it on eBay? You want eBay prices, sell it on eBay then." One time I said that a fellow looker piped up with "probably too f-n dumb to turn a computer on."

Haven't noticed much of an improvement in the swaps that I go to, but mates who travel to the distant rural ones have said it's getting better again at those.
Did 20 straight years at Bendigo (father-in-law racked up 40, and got the hat) but I gave up 2 years back as I was pretty much coming home empty handed - just nothing around, or crazy prices - and you'd watch them take it all home again on Sunday. Wasn't worth the 2000km round trip anymore - apart from the social side of it with the interstate mates who all catch up.

Sydney swap was on last weekend, and it was reasonable - it usually is - but numbers were down (sellers). It looked like there were the same amount, but haphazard rows & sites all over the place made it hard to walk past everything for a proper look without doubling back all the time. Apart from being a mud pit, the guys who went up to Toowoomba said it was pretty good too - not spectacular, and still a far cry from 15 years ago, but still worth travelling interstate for.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #23
Fgute

Yes I too gave up ebay when paypal became compulsory.
Gumtree is around to finish off carsales, the trading post and others I don't know of. And yes I'm swapmeet mad and they are picking back up with Rotary and the Lions Club starting to run them and thinking their worthwhile.
Fgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sydney Super Swap used to be run by the VVCAA (VIntage Chev club) with Five Dock Rotary given the opportunity to run the BBQs & catering. A couple of years back the VVCAA handed over the swap to Rotary. Last year they held their hands a bit, and you wouldn't have known the running of the swap was any different to before. Unfortunately this year didn't go as smoothly, but they'll pick up over time.

The Lions Club used to run the BBQs at the old Bargo swap when it was at Agview. Shame it shut down after some greedy pig tried to sue the organisers because they can't watch where they're walking in a paddock.

Charities can earn some good coin this way (which they spend on worthwhile causes), and their volunteers seem to be far more motivated to get into it than others in society, so having them involved is a great thing.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #25
Fgute

Ah Bargo, a great swapmeet it was.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #26
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay is crap..gumtree not much better. Just cars dont remove old listings. I miss the old days of thentrading post.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #27
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I have thought about selling some of my old music equipment but there is no chance I would use eBay simply because there is not enough protection for the seller... and yes, the fees are outrageous too. I guess I'll end up selling it all on gumtree/facebook which is a bit of a hassle.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #28
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm selling a crap load of cars and parts at the moment. I've found Facebook waaaaay better than eBay. I only bother with eBay for auctions now. I'm finding more serious buyers on Facebook and am not having to wade through masses of time wasting idiots.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Digging this one up again.

Apart from the lack of sellers appearing, In the last couple of days I've noticed the "used condition first" option disappear off the ebay.com.au website, anyone else experiencing this ? I can select it under customise search but "Best match" is now overriding it.

Seems its all jumbled together now new and secondhand listings you need to troll through just like the U.S ebay page.

Old 13-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #30
Fgute

Facebook is looking better all the time.