Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Ms_Jam

Default False message about needing oil change

I recall seeing something about this on the forums. But now I cannot find it.

My Focus LZ is showing a message demanding an oil change every time I start up. It had the annual service about a month ago, so I doubt this message is correct.

In any case the very same thing happened last year. I took it to the dealer and it was fixed in a minute.

However, I don't want to spend the time going out there again. So does anyone have a reference to how I can fix it myself?

(I suspect the problem is that the servicing is happening before the anniversary of the purchase, and that the vehicle's software showing the message is triggered by time.)
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: False message about needing oil change

It will be the service reminder that will pop up (15,000kms?) from the last time it was reset. If it's reset at the same time as the service, it should remind you in time for the next one.

Not sure how it's reset on the Focus, but it is normally listed in the owner's manual if you have that.

EDIT: Youtube clip on how to reset it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvE-P4fT9o

Last edited by raceteam; 22-01-2018 at 11:42 AM.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
KosCo

I had the same problem after the first service on the LZ. I used the following instructions and hopefully they should work for you. I printed these instructions out and have included them in the Owners manual in case it happens again.

“Oil Change Required” Message
WARNING - You should only perform the following steps if you know that a service has been carried out and the oil has been changed.
The following steps appear to work (the steps listed are approximate and may not be fully detailed) –
1. For vehicles with push-button start –
· DO NOT press the brake pedal – we do NOT want the engine to start – we just want the electronics to start up
· Now press and hold the START button for 2 seconds (do not press the brake pedal)
· Because we have pressed the START button, you will probably get the “Oil Change Required” warning message again – just press OK to acknowledge the message
2. Now, simultaneously press the accelerator and brake pedals and hold them in at the fully de-pressed position
3. After 3 seconds, the message center displays “Service: Oil Reset In Prog

4. Continue to hold both the accelerator and brake pedals for 25 seconds or until the display shows “Service: Oil Reset Complete

5. Release both pedals and place ignition in the OFF position/mode

Should now be all complete.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine pops up every 20,000km, annoying. Easy to reset it though.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceteam View Post
It will be the service reminder that will pop up (15,000kms?) from the last time it was reset. If it's reset at the same time as the service, it should remind you in time for the next one.

Not sure how it's reset on the Focus, but it is normally listed in the owner's manual if you have that.

EDIT: Youtube clip on how to reset it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvE-P4fT9o

Mine appeared at around 13,500 for the first service last year, a few weeks before it's 12 month service was due. It was serviced with about 14,000 on the clock. It has popped up again about 3 weeks ago when the car had done just over 27,000. Another 2 weeks yet before the second service is due (second week of Feb) so it seems it appears earlier than each 15,000. Probably to give you time to organise the service.
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it might be actively monitoring the oil. Mine didn't pop up for 2 years and 20,000 km. Of course, the oil and filter did get changed every 10k but if it was just a timer then wouldn't it at least pop up the message after 1 year or every 15km?
Old 23-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
I think it might be actively monitoring the oil.
Assuming the Focus uses IOLM (Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor), it seems that it isn't monitoring the actual oil but how the car is used..

Normal - 12,000-16,000 km
  • Normal commuting with highway driving
  • No loading or towing, or moderate loads and towing
  • Flat to moderately hilly roads
  • No extended idling
Severe - 8,000-11,999 km
  • Extended hot or cold operation
  • Moderate to heavy loads and towing
  • Mountainous or off-road conditions
  • Extended idling
Extreme - 4,800-7,999 km
  • Extreme hot or cold operation
  • Maximum loads and towing
Old 23-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, thanks for the info.
Old 17-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

No it’s not IOLM.
It’s just reading off km and time.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
No it’s not IOLM.
It’s just reading off km and time.
Not according to my car. Appeared almost 6 weeks before the service was due (going off the date it was serviced last year) and 1500 km short of reaching 15,000 km since it's last service.

Lasts years service was the 8th of Feb @ 13,500km.

So, going off your 'reading off km and time' theory why did it come on late December 2017 (instead of Feb 2018) and 27,000km (instead of 28,500)??
Old 17-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

That must be how it’s programmed.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post