Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MD Mondeo - 5000km Check in!

Hi All,

thought it was about time i checked in.... Mondeo Wagon Trend 2017.

So - 5000km Since May.

Not really driving much or long distance, and when i do the average speed hovers around 22-25kph. Economy therefore running at about 9L/100km (Drops into the low 5's if i do a trip on the highway)
More than i thought. but, probably par for the course for the kind of traffic it sits in. I turn off the auto stop start every single time. Drives me batty, particularly when it turns off the air con, but leaves the fan running! (Qld!!)

Quirks i have found... Every now and again my phone drops off from the Sync 3. Just hit the reconnect button and its all peachy.
Paddle shift a bit gimmicky, use it once to show someone, but thats about it!! haha

Cruise Control can only go up in 5kph increments - thats a killer. My old mans older focus goes up in 1kph. I probably should ask if they can reprogram (although i havnt looked in the manual if i can do myself)
If you set it at 63kph it will round to the next 5kph if you speed up/slow down.

Pre collision alert etc has a slight bit of lag in it, so if i a car in front is turning and you are sneaking past it... it goes bonkers. trying to avoid the car that has moved. Once it actually hit the brakes after the car had turned.... car behind almost got me. Also thought a branch overhanging the road slightly on a slight bend was a person and hit the skids too! (It was about 10pm)

Radar Cruise control is the bomb. The BEST EVER. Dont think i could ever use normal cruise again. Particularly on the highway. Just set the longest distance and its all sweet.

Everything else is going pretty well.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: MD Mondeo - 5000km Check in!

Quote:
Paddle shift a bit gimmicky, use it once to show someone, but thats about it!! haha
wait till you get to the twisty/hilly stuff it will reveal it's worthiness then...

good to hear you're doin well.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

Radar cruise is ok.... until you realise you've been going 90 in a 110 zone for the last 20min....
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Radar cruise is ok.... until you realise you've been going 90 in a 110 zone for the last 20min....
So true...
Old 12-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan View Post
Cruise Control can only go up in 5kph increments - thats a killer. My old mans older focus goes up in 1kph. I probably should ask if they can reprogram (although i havnt looked in the manual if i can do myself)
If you set it at 63kph it will round to the next 5kph if you speed up/slow down.
Unfortunately, I don't think it can be re-programmed but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Quote:
Pre collision alert etc has a slight bit of lag in it, so if i a car in front is turning and you are sneaking past it... it goes bonkers. trying to avoid the car that has moved. Once it actually hit the brakes after the car had turned.... car behind almost got me. Also thought a branch overhanging the road slightly on a slight bend was a person and hit the skids too! (It was about 10pm)
I'm pretty sure that there is a setting to reduce the sensitivity of the system. Initially I had the same issues going past a car that was turning.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I'm pretty sure that there is a setting to reduce the sensitivity of the system. Initially I had the same issues going past a car that was turning.
I did try that and it seemed to just delay response, but no biggie. You learn to drive around it or put a bit of angle in the lane and it knows you are missing....

Cruise control is a shame though. Wish i could change to 1kph increments.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 16-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
7summit7
Mondeo MD Titanium Hatch

I did contact the Ford Customer Support service to try and get the Cruise changed to 1k steps but they don't seem to be interested in any improvements.

In fact they are not even interested in fixing any issues that i had with the car. Very poor customer service.

Cheers

Mark
7summit7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
R12RT

I have to admit that I am surprised by the complaints about the 5kmph cruise control increments.

My Mondeo was bought to replace a Mazda6. The Mazda had 1kmph cruise control increments. So when transitioning from a 100kmph speed zone to a 110kmph speed zone the cruise control button had to pressed ten times. Alternatively, the cruise vontrol could be over ridden my manually increasing the speed to 110kmph and resetting.

In the Mondeo it is a two button press. Simple.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post
I have to admit that I am surprised by the complaints about the 5kmph cruise control increments.

My Mondeo was bought to replace a Mazda6. The Mazda had 1kmph cruise control increments. So when transitioning from a 100kmph speed zone to a 110kmph speed zone the cruise control button had to pressed ten times. Alternatively, the cruise vontrol could be over ridden my manually increasing the speed to 110kmph and resetting.

Coming from an fg or newer falcon I would find it annoying. Falcon has 1km/h increments but also jumps to the nearest 10 with a long press, so 100 to 110 is one press.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post

Its not a complaint at all.... just an oversight i think........ although it is handy for changing speed zones. My preference is to fine tune the speed to a gps verified speed. One day it might run an update overnight via the the home wifi. Hahaha #liveinhope

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #11
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Hi All,

thought it was about time i checked in.... Mondeo Wagon Trend 2017.

So - 5000km Since May.

Not really driving much or long distance, and when i do the average speed hovers around 22-25kph. Economy therefore running at about 9L/100km (Drops into the low 5's if i do a trip on the highway)
More than i thought. but, probably par for the course for the kind of traffic it sits in. I turn off the auto stop start every single time. Drives me batty, particularly when it turns off the air con, but leaves the fan running! (Qld!!)

Quirks i have found... Every now and again my phone drops off from the Sync 3. Just hit the reconnect button and its all peachy.

Radar Cruise control is the bomb. The BEST EVER. Dont think i could ever use normal cruise again. Particularly on the highway. Just set the longest distance and its all sweet.

Everything else is going pretty well.
Good report. I've had my Mondeo titanium wagon since April. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately the wife uses it more than me which leaves me in my 2014 Ford focus sport.
My Mondeo has done 14000k and has not missed a beat. I have not reset trip meter 2 and the average fuel is 7.6l/100k.
Things that annoy me. The luggage rack knocks on take off so I've had to remove that. When I reverse it out of my drive way which has the angle kerb the suspension feels loose but seems okay driving around. The Lane assist wants to fight where you want to drive within the marked lane so I turn it off most of the time. And the main thing is that here in warm old Oz we get heated seats but miss out on the seat coolers. That's it for the annoyances but they are livable.
Love the responsiveness of the diesel compared to the territory. It just makes you want to take off fast.
A bit off topic but just an interesting fact. There is nowhere on the tailgate to attach a magnetic L plate. Its all plastic. Check one out I was surprised because the l plate just kept falling to the floor no matter where I put it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #12
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

change the suspension mode you're in...I love all three
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
change the suspension mode you're in...I love all three
Yeah did that. The only one that it doesn't do it in is sport mode. But I don't think it should be that way. Sorry mode also gives a couple of people in the family car sickness so only use it when I'm in the car. I will get the suspension checked at the next service.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you want to set it to 63, just accelerate and drive at 63km/h and push either the up or down button and it will set to the speed you are on.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
If you want to set it to 63, just accelerate and drive at 63km/h and push either the up or down button and it will set to the speed you are on.
That's assuming one has a digital speedo, which Ford didn't implement until the Sync 3 equipped versions.

My Sync 2 Mondeo doesn't have a digital speedometer, and trying to set the cruise control to 103km/h is rather annoying.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #16
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's assuming one has a digital speedo, which Ford didn't implement until the Sync 3 equipped versions.

My Sync 2 Mondeo doesn't have a digital speedometer, and trying to set the cruise control to 103km/h is rather annoying.
Not true, NX.
My MC will indicate the set speed in the display window, despite NOT having the digital speed readout.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #17
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Not true, NX.
My MC will indicate the set speed in the display window, despite NOT having the digital speed readout.
That it does. But trying to set it at exactly 103km/h is by trial and error. Sometimes I'll press 'set' at 102km/h, sometimes 104km/h, and I will not be able to use the + or - buttons to adjust because doing so will increase the speed to 105km/h or decrease the speed to 100km/h respectively.

With a digital speedo readout, I can see when the speedo reads 103km/h. Without it, it's just guesswork.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #18
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure for the MC, that there was an alternate button to use, which gives 1km increments. I'll look it up later.
Agreed, digital or not, it's hard to get on an exact number.
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 08-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
RandomThought

MC has both 5kph or 1kph increments. The MD has only 5kph increments and yes I find it annoying as well. First world problems hey?

And like above, radar cruise is awesome until you realise you are travelling 20k under the limit. In the MC I used the speed limiter when in traffic instead of the cruise for that reason. At least on the MD you can turn the radar off.
RandomThought is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomThought View Post
. At least on the MD you can turn the radar off.
You can on the MC.
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #21
RandomThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
You can on the MC.
I never found it. Oh well, doesn't matter now

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
RandomThought is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #22
Mondaveo

I'll bite. How do you turn radar-controlled cruise off in the MC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
I'll bite. How do you turn radar-controlled cruise off in the MC?
OK, My bad!
I don't get to drive her very much, due to SWMBO.
I had a look today. You can turn the Forward collision alert off, not the ACC.

Either way, it's three levels down in the menu.
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 20-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #24
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Hi All,
My MB 2010 model XR5 (I know older model but...) bumps up/down in 5kmh increments using the +/- buttons. The RESume button, when cruise it
already activated, goes up in 1km/h increment. Can the MD do this?
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #25
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomThought View Post
And like above, radar cruise is awesome until you realise you are travelling 20k under the limit. ....... At least on the MD you can turn the radar off.
In the MB, you have radar controlled cruise, or not cruise at all. Looks like a step forward in the MD.
On the freeway I like to slowly catch people and drift past at the same speed. Took me 3yrs to get used to detecting that gentle slow down feeling (esp when you suddenly notice lots of other people scooting past actually doing the speed limit).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #26
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
My MB 2010 model XR5 (I know older model but...) bumps up/down in 5kmh increments using the +/- buttons. The RESume button, when cruise it
already activated, goes up in 1km/h increment. Can the MD do this?
No, because the RES and + is the same button. Both increase the speed to the nearest 5km/h increment (e.g., 103 to 105, then 110, 115 etc). The - button does the opposite - e.g., 103 to 100, then 95, 90 etc.
Old 27-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wrong thread

Last edited by gsd112; 27-01-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: wrong thread
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Highway cruser
Starter Motor

Quote:
No, because the RES and + is the same button. Both increase the speed to the nearest 5km/h increment (e.g., 103 to 105, then 110, 115 etc). The - button does the opposite - e.g., 103 to 100, then 95, 90 etc.
Found something you might find interesting today. I don't normally use the speed limiter function but had it on today. While messing around I noticed that by pressing the "RES" button between the plus and minus buttons that the speed limiter increased by 1kph. Give it a try, this might be what you are wanting to do.
Highway cruser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway cruser View Post
Found something you might find interesting today. I don't normally use the speed limiter function but had it on today. While messing around I noticed that by pressing the "RES" button between the plus and minus buttons that the speed limiter increased by 1kph. Give it a try, this might be what you are wanting to do.
Cruser, you have an MC Mondeo! (Most likely.) MCs have three buttons, SET+, SET-, and RES that modify the cruise control/speed limiter setting by +5, -5 and +1 km/h increments respectively.

With the MD, Ford obviously decided they had too many buttons so they reduced it down to RES+ and SET-, and with it cut the corresponding functionality to +5 and -5 km/h increments. There's no way to increment your set speed 1 km/h at a time which is what all the posts here are about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 16-02-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Accidentally switcheroo'd MD's SET and RES
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post