Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #3841
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Get a free lunch?
That actually reminds me of a funny occurrence when i racked up 10 years at my old job. So my boss did take me out for lunch and associated booze. I wasnt at work at the time due to a temporary disablement. But anyhow, i still had the work car, work phone and all the rest. So i got a work call. Another work mate, flat tyre and he didnt know how to change a tyre. So as to not make my mate sound like an absolute spaz, i walked away and said jacks here, toolkits there, the bolt for the spare tyre cradle is there etc. Anyhow, phone kept ringing and my boss, it was the work phone, said he'd answer it. Lunch was good, we went to the grounds at Alexandria. And if youve never worked in the kitchens there after hours and know of the rodent issues, its apples. But bar what i know, my boss gave this bloke a spray for not knowing how to change a tyre. I felt bad but it was funny. My mate wasnt expecting the boss to answer as i was technically off work and he got blasted.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #3842
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He deserved it haha
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #3843
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
He deserved it haha
It gets slightly better. So this was on a friday. My work mate didnt chuck the flat in the carrier or in the back of the van, he put it in the bin room of the building he was working in to pick it up on the monday. The garbos, well, if its in the bin room and not a bin, they get rid of it.
So it got binned.
It blows my mind at the lack of how hard is it at times.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #3844
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ha Love it
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #3845
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
ha Love it
Well, under my advice i said stealth mode it, and nick the spare from the spare van work had. So this bloke did that, but must have limp wristed the carrier bolt. He lost it driving. Pulled up because the spare tyre carrier was dragging. Spare tyre gone, bolt gone. So cable ties were the go for the spare tyre carrier. The spare probably rolled down the street and killed a bus load of orphaned children.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #3846
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

First blossom on the Blueberry Ash (Elaeocarpus spp) I planted earlier in the year.
Collecting them from the nursery was not long before the recent lockdown and possibly my father’s last outing - went to the nursery café, as one does.

Christmas bush are in early bloom too, the fragrance is rich and sweet - bees are warning me off with “accidental” collisions into my head. I do think we underestimate them; not so smart as spiders, but not stupid.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #3847
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
First blossom on the Blueberry Ash (Elaeocarpus spp) I planted earlier in the year.
Collecting them from the nursery was not long before the recent lockdown and possibly my father’s last outing - went to the nursery café, as one does.

Christmas bush are in early bloom too, the fragrance is rich and sweet - bees are warning me off with “accidental” collisions into my head. I do think we underestimate them; not so smart as spiders, but not stupid.
Have you made then thief proof?
Guard tower, electric fence and barbed wire plus camera?.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #3848
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Get a free lunch?
For my 10 years I got a gold coin with the company logo and sailing ship stamped on it..............presented to me in Singapore

Apparently we get another (different) gold coin for 15 years, don't think I will be going to Singapore for it this time though.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #3849
Kicking back

So i was speaking to my brother today. Many moons ago he bought a running 1980 yamaha rd250lc. Factory 6 speed and it had upgraded twin front rotors of an rd350lc. He got it for $800. At the time he would help out at his mates dads mates performance shop. So anyhow, he got given a small corner to work on his own crap. So the 250cc factory claimed output was 25hp. Bored and stroked to 358cc in the end, it on the engine dyno outputted 63hp.
The bike itself never got put back together. Too many hard to get bushings, widgets and crap that disintergrate over time to try source.
So earlier this year my brother gifted the bike and all its bits to a mate of his who is a semi retired dentist, used to be an avid motorcyclist, gave that up due to a motorcycle death in the family but wanted a project. So, 'complete' bike in bits knowing the niggly small bits needed sourcing. So my brothers mate also put that in the too hard basket. This bloke had an offer of 1k for a 74 kawasaki 400 that was a runner but needed a tidy up. He sold the rd for $1650, but split the difference with my brother as he gifted the rd. My brother is not the kind of person who ever wins in life, but thats a win.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #3850
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man those RD's went like stink, when that power band kicked on, hang on baby.
Old 27-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #3851
Kicking back

Quote:
Man those RD's went like stink, when that power band kicked on, hang on baby.
My brother has a stack of old bike magazines, or bike magazines about old bikes with articles about the smaller rd's either competing on the track, or bettering the likes of things like the kawasaki 750 in the early 80s. Theyre nothing like the modern bikes of today. My brother has a mix, so a 97 zx7r, quad carb towards the end of the carby days so still pretty quick. An 03 honda vtr 1000. That thing did lunch the motor, timing chain said no. So a v twin, twin carbs still, i did buy a replacement motor for that. But in the wet my brother dailies an au. In the dry its a 2011 kawazaki z1000. Efi, fuel guage, abs brakes and bloody quick.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #3852
slowsnake
Banned

My mate and neighbour Brooke had a really bad wry neck yesterday, so I offered my soft neck brace, but too big, she was in lot of pain and no anti-inflammitories, so I go to all night chemist to get some, when I got back asked if I would massage some Goanna rub in her neck and shoulders, helped a lot.

This morning she was still in big pain, and she's a cranky thing, so thought stuff it, I will go buy a neckbrace from a bigger chemist warehouse, got back and put it on her neck, this is 9am, she was still whining like a baby, went back about 3pm, after my siesta which is a daily ritual, and couldn't believe how much better she was, but she's got tingling in her fingers, definitely a damaged or swollen tendon or muscle pinching a nerve, if not settled by morning I will drag her screaming and shouting to my GP.

I just left her unit, just 3 units up from mine, said be back at 8pm before bed and massage more Goanna Rub on her neck and shoulders, told her it was condusive to a good night's sleep, plus neck brace!

Can't wait and am counting the time down, one and a half hours to go, geez I'm a good bloke eh, lol,......
Old 28-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #3853
Kicking back

Got the new electronic speed controller for my rc car today. So that bit is the same as the stock one i blew up so no difference there, but i gave the thing a quick test rip with all the new suspension bits on it. So without fully exploring it yet there is a noticeable difference in handling. Most noticable is the stiffer springs on a launch. Still wheelies but the nose stays down longer so its moving before it lifts the wheels meaning slightly less traction issues and a faster launch.
Old 28-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #3854
slowsnake
Banned

Haha, front page of the West Australian newspaper, showing schoolies snorting coke, having sex and generally playing up, inside Alston had a cartoon ready to go!.....

3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #3855
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Taking some time out to have a look at some pics from old mans memorial service,he started a spraying business with an old Land Rover and two or three blokes working for him and it just got bigger.Saw some great parts of NZ.

Last edited by 98TLS; 28-10-2021 at 11:59 AM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #3856
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some brilliant pics there and them old tojos loaded right up
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #3857
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Some brilliant pics there and them old tojos loaded right up
They certainly earned there keep,old man swore by them.
Old 28-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #3858
Kicking back

So being a reasonable hour of the day i gave my rc car a proper rip with the new suspension. I did have to adjust the shocks because the whole suspension geometry has changed with wider arms and stiffer springs. But thats easy. So common sense says wider track = better cornering. So i was expecting that to a degree. But i was really impressed at how much harder i can throw the thing into corners and it not end up upside down. So the old 100% that was the line of ending up with the thing upside down, well that limit is atleast 150% with the 40mm extra track. And its way easier to keep all 4s on the ground and actually take advantage of 4wd. Thats due to the open diffs and the electric motor brakes the driveline
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #3859
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great old pic 98TLS, boy those fourbies were sure thirsty after a long days work.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #3860
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doing an oil change ready for a road trip to my cousins farm to round up 1,000 lambs for sheep truck and some fencing. Cleaning the .223, look out foxes and cats (sorry about that CB & slowsnake).
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #3861
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Great pics and storey 98TLS......
Seeing the great ol Land Rovers gives me a chance to fill youse in re them.
My old man worked for a large Aftermarket company owned by English firm QH/Quinton Hazel who set up over here for Aftermarket Distribution.
His English boss who re located here in Sydney was Arthur Goddard.
Engineer genius behind the Land Rover.
As the years went by the ol man left QH started his own little Aftermarket biz and Arthur in time left QH re located to Briz.
He also started up his own company building caravan/off road trailer chassis for he just couldn't just retire and do nothing.
In time the old mans company started supplying shock absorbers for the chassis.
I've ended up running the ol mans company as he retired and Arthurs son kept their business going.
To this day still great relationship BUT AG has been chased by Land Rover many times for UK Land Rover re unions and honours and there is even a book about him.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/explore/...the-land-rover
Great history here I tell you and a very smart man and still with us at just over 100yrs young !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #3862
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I had no idea he (Goddard) was still alive! Maybe a notch below Issigonis, but still a real pioneer/innovator. Great you have historical association with him.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #3863
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Doing an oil change ready for a road trip to my cousins farm to round up 1,000 lambs for sheep truck and some fencing. Cleaning the .223, look out foxes and cats (sorry about that CB & slowsnake).
I have n o problem with shooting feral cats or dogs or dog/dingo cross pigs, popped a few cats myself and wild dogs around Sandstone WA, more west though, got followed one day by 4 or 5 dogs, and only had my detector and machete, made it back to 4x4 just in time, as soon as I got home bought the .410 and Marlin .22 Magnum, I hate feral anything, especially during lambing!.....
Old 29-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #3864
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Schadenfreude… I shouldn’t, but am enjoying watch Faceache squirm and try to re-brand itself after exposure of its culpability in several domains.
Old 29-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #3865
Stephenlk

NOT the weather in Victoria today!
Stephenlk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #3866
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just spend a couple of hours working on the wife's car (Mazda 6) & doing a coolant change + top engine mount replacement. Went very well & quite easy. Thankyou Mazda for a well designed car that does cripple you when working on it.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #3867
Kicking back

So again with the rc car stuff. Yes i know its like tits or toy trains, designed for kids but grown men have more fun with them. So satisfied with the suspension setup, back to old habits. So run it at eleven tenths, if its not broken, your not doing it right. So, backflips. Hit a jump do a backflip and roll away in the same direction of travel, not hard on the driveline. Doing a backflip off a vertical wall and landing static, very hard on the driveline. Did that a number of times today. Ive snapped many axles doing that. So from 2 or 3 feet, launch, wheelie hit the wall with the front tyres, rears follow and backflip.
So my wallet was in my back pocket screaming **** yeah. Im a bit dissapointed in myself. I tried my hardest to have fun with complete disregard towards my own equipment, and i didnt break anything.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #3868
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So again with the rc car stuff. Yes i know its like tits or toy trains, designed for kids but grown men have more fun with them. So satisfied with the suspension setup, back to old habits. So run it at eleven tenths, if its not broken, your not doing it right. So, backflips. Hit a jump do a backflip and roll away in the same direction of travel, not hard on the driveline. Doing a backflip off a vertical wall and landing static, very hard on the driveline. Did that a number of times today. Ive snapped many axles doing that. So from 2 or 3 feet, launch, wheelie hit the wall with the front tyres, rears follow and backflip.
So my wallet was in my back pocket screaming **** yeah. Im a bit dissapointed in myself. I tried my hardest to have fun with complete disregard towards my own equipment, and i didnt break anything.
I'm the same as I have been building scale models (not the motorised versions) for well over 50 years and totaly enjoy it.
Nothing wrong being the big kid, cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #3869
Itsme
Experienced Member

Now I'm in a better frame of mind knowing I can go visit my children and granchildren as the Melbourne lockdown has offically ended.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #3870
slowsnake
Banned

Not getting 23 text messages from my mate Brooke in 30 minutes as I did yesterday morning, drives me up the wall as I am answering one txt, she has typed 2 more, but I got her in to see my GP, got her over to the MRI place to get looked at, usually 3 to 4 day wait, and got her in today at 1:30pm, she come here this morning still whining, geez it a wry neck not a broken one, but am so happy she is leaving me alone, bloody nightmare!