Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #181
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: AU V8 models: Basic questions answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Hi JC
i was just looking at this old thread, I just got a 11/01 xr8 ute, thimking it had the spacer it was a 185kw, but reading this it coild be a 200kw. I havent called ford yet, but is it possiable it is 200kw

Thanks
All XR8 Utes from April 2001 had the 200kw engine as standard.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #182
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
All XR8 Utes from April 2001 had the 200kw engine as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB56
Have looked in the forums tech resources at the top of this thread. Just click on it and go to the section you require.you will find wiring diagrams and plug locations and pcm pin identification and more you may find information that could help

Great thanks mate
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #183
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. The workshop manual says to remove the kickdown cable but I've seen other info which says it has an electronic kickdown.

If it has a cable for kickdown, I can only find what appears to be throttle and cruise cables.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #184
MADED-6
MADED.6

Yea they only have throttle cable and shifter cable mate.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #185
El Sucio

Evening all,
I have a question regarding making a hybrid AU2/AU3 XR8 motor. Ive posted this on fordmods but thought I would also sing out here.

I currently have a series 2 XR8, with the 200kw donk. I have an opportunity to get a hand on a 220kw motor from a wrecking XR or at least as many components as I choose.

I initially have my eye on the Tickford branded throttle body, do I need to take the MAF and airbox piping as well to make life easier?.

im also thinking of taking the heads from the series 3 XR motor, how would these components hook up to my AU2 XR cam, rods and block? Conscioys of rockers, etc.

Extractors? Both motors are running factory items.

Finally engine management, if this Franken combo works, would standard AU2 XR engine management handle this?

My current motor is fine, the possible AU3 has a busted harmonic balancer and bottom end is unknown. The yop end components look good, im just curious what is worth getting my hands on to enhance my series 2.

I wouldn't fit the heads until I have the funds to fit/purchasestroker kit as well as replace rear seal (starting to leak). However the throttle body and MAF might get bolted straight in if an easy addition.

cheers guys.

DJ

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #186
El Sucio

To further clarify the query, I am hoping to use the following exisitng AU2 engine components (cause I know they are in good condition):

- Short motor (block, cam)
- Manifold
- MAF
- All other fuel components (spark plugs, injectors, cables, etc)

And combine with the following donor Series 3 items:
- Cylinder heads (including valves and rocker arms and springs)
- Throttle body.

The question I am most wondering is which rods and lifters should I retain/reuse for this combination.

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #187
ELEPHT_70

Great thread.
Question...
Series 1 AU 5.0 Fairlane Ghia bog stock.
I've got the opportunity to get Crane Cams roller rockers and pushrods and the owner says they have a ratio of 1.72. Is it just a matter of bolting these onto my stock motor?
What else should I be doing?
Thx.
ELEPHT_70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #188
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Yes, should be a straight bolt on.

As you will be stressing the valve springs a little more, I would changed them out for the crow version as well, with new locks and retainers.

I did this exact same upgrade to my bog stock 5L LTD - a nice little bump in power. With air intake and extractors this combination produce 154rwkw with would take it over 200fwkw. Good luck.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #189
ELEPHT_70

That's awesome, thanks, Stu!
I might even look into a sporty cam if the wallet will stretch that far... I must hold back on mods ffs. This is meant to be my daily lol!
I'm on the hunt for some Pacemaker pipes as well...
Cheers,
Craig.
ELEPHT_70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #190
xyfalcon383

Mu Au series 3 xr8 had the premium brake package as a option what did this entail ? From the looks doesn't seem like mine are anything special PBR callipers etc
xyfalcon383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #191
Vortex-98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza440 View Post
I like this post... Got the same deal man except mine is fully optioned AU111
and has the oil cooler.. and 3.5 inch behind airbox and a 70ml TB (NO WINGS EITHER) and a dotmax windscreen and clear side indicator lenses and colour coded mirrors so Im upset now to read FORD just threw whatever they found on it... What a bitsa
Ia there a Tickford ford engine builder B.Muller his names on the little oil cooler
Vortex-98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #192
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex-98 View Post
Ia there a Tickford ford engine builder B.Muller his names on the little oil cooler
No one by that name
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #193
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

5 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #194
Vortex-98

hey yall
i see the specs on the au v8s are
175kw @ 4750 rpm
200kw @ 5000rpm
220kw @ 5250rpm.
how do you bring the max rpms up ,is it a cam thing a rocker thing or do the heads govern how much rpm the car makes...cheers

Last edited by Vortex-98; 28-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Vortex-98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #195
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That's just where the power peaks at. And yes on these it's cam and exhaust related, although the 220 also had a light bit of head porting and a bigger throttle body, although the cam was slightly smaller than the 200.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #196
Utu13
Starter Motor

Noob question I have a Auii Xr8 complete drivetrain kept everything subframe diff aswell I have a series3 xr6 but has solid rear axle and diff would the engine trans and driveshaft off xr8 Au2 sedan all fit in the series3 Au? ...
Utu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #197
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utu13 View Post
Noob question I have a Auii Xr8 complete drivetrain kept everything subframe diff aswell I have a series3 xr6 but has solid rear axle and diff would the engine trans and driveshaft off xr8 Au2 sedan all fit in the series3 Au? ...
No. You will run into problems with trying to match up the solid diff to the driveshaft without modification.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #198
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That's just where the power peaks at. And yes on these it's cam and exhaust related, although the 220 also had a light bit of head porting and a bigger throttle body, although the cam was slightly smaller than the 200.
Wouldnt call it head porting by a long stretch, the intake manifold was very crudely/partly matched from upper to lower,very dodgy factory work.
When i ported my 220 manifold i was shocked at how little was actually done as opposed to what tickford said was done,less than 2 mins work there.
I had no port work on my factory heads from memory.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #199
Utu13
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
No. You will run into problems with trying to match up the solid diff to the driveshaft without modification.
What else would I have to modify?would it be better to get IRS fitted Au than modify anything I realise brakes ect would need to be changed over and fuel lines just a big swap over..any other input is much appreciated...thanks
Old 11-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #200
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
Wouldnt call it head porting by a long stretch, the intake manifold was very crudely/partly matched from upper to lower,very dodgy factory work.
When i ported my 220 manifold i was shocked at how little was actually done as opposed to what tickford said was done,less than 2 mins work there.
I had no port work on my factory heads from memory.
Port clean up is probably a better description. Some heads obviously needed more work to the casting than others.

If only they had fitted some proper heads to them, rather than fitting higher flowing stuff on intake and exhaust, only for it to breathe through a straw using tiny factory ports.

They should have used the bigger alloy heads Ford Racing had at the time. GT40X heads I think they were? Or was it GT40Y?

Maybe not so much on the 220, but at least on the 250kw engines.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #201
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utu13 View Post
What else would I have to modify?would it be better to get IRS fitted Au than modify anything I realise brakes ect would need to be changed over and fuel lines just a big swap over..any other input is much appreciated...thanks
All answered in this thread (that's a sticky in this forum nonetheless):

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11398528
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 07:41 PM   #202
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Port clean up is probably a better description. Some heads obviously needed more work to the casting than others.

If only they had fitted some proper heads to them, rather than fitting higher flowing stuff on intake and exhaust, only for it to breathe through a straw using tiny factory ports.

They should have used the bigger alloy heads Ford Racing had at the time. GT40X heads I think they were? Or was it GT40Y?

Maybe not so much on the 220, but at least on the 250kw engines.
The T1 and T2 TS50 with the 220 kW version actually had those alloy heads. When the AU II XR8 went to 220 kW, they switched back to iron heads, T-Series followed suit.

https://www.tseriesclub.org/technical-spec/

5.0-litre OHV V8 “Synergy 5000”

Cast Iron GT40P on the TE and TL

Aluminum SVO Y303 on the TS
Mustang GT

Old 11-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #203
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
The T1 and T2 TS50 with the 220 kW version actually had those alloy heads. When the AU II XR8 went to 220 kW, they switched back to iron heads, T-Series followed suit.

Late model T2 TSs had the iron heads as well. I think it was around April 2001 they went to the larger valve GT40Ps

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 12-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #204
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

They were just alloy versions of the gt40. Same tiny port size. If anything the gt40p’s were probably better due to the chamber upgrades over the old gt40’s. Looking back at my Ford Motorsport catalogue from 98 they were the only heads they offered back then. The better, bigger port X heads must not have come along till later. I can find reference to them as far back as 2004 but i don’t know what year they were introduced. So they might not have even been available to tickford at the time of production.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2022, 06:54 PM   #205
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
They were just alloy versions of the gt40. Same tiny port size. If anything the gt40p’s were probably better due to the chamber upgrades over the old gt40’s. Looking back at my Ford Motorsport catalogue from 98 they were the only heads they offered back then. The better, bigger port X heads must not have come along till later. I can find reference to them as far back as 2004 but i don’t know what year they were introduced. So they might not have even been available to tickford at the time of production.
I remember reading an interview with a Tickford engineer making comparisons between the all-iron 220 and the earlier alloy head 220. Apparently he preferred the tougher sound of the all-iron version. I went looking for an online copy of that story but failed to find it, this was back in mid 2001 when the XR8 got the 220.

I did find this nugget of gold -

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ommodore-vx-ss

"And the engine? What about the engine! Love it. This has got to be the dear old Windsor V8's finest hour. Cast iron may not be the fashion today, but this engine's booming responsiveness is never going to go out of style. Not until the oil runs out, anyway.

It sounds great. Suitably muted at idle and acceptably quiet at cruise speed revs, the 5.0-litre begins to sing as the needle swings past 3000. By 4000 it's V8 Supercar soundtrack. Low-pitched exhaust from behind, high-pitched mechanical whine up front. While the red on the tach dial starts at 5750, the Ford V8 feels eager to spin harder all the way to the rather coarse cut-out at 6250."
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 05:32 AM   #206
Utu13
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
All answered in this thread (that's a sticky in this forum nonetheless):

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11398528
I read the treads and it seems you can modify the diff end just wondering has anyone seen or done it project wise and what method or advice there is I also have a Au2 Fairmont ghia with IRS and all the Au sedan xr8 running gear bolt straight up...cheers
Old 04-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #207
jimmo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
They all should have but it would appear some may have missed out . the confusion with the AU S2 220s is that it was a at cost option ($1200 from memory) in the later S2s not standard as some think , I ordered mine new in september for a late october to early november delivery , I was then informed in the second week of september that the 220 would be available as a option as it would soon be the standard motor for the S3.So we can only assume none were available before this date. the late S2s also came standard with side skirts, colour coded mirrors also a at cost option of the Rebel/race bodykit or the standard body kit these were both later optional on the S3..the 220 motor was fitted with a oil cooler as std. far as the utes go we tryed to get the 220 fitted to them but even with inside help had no luck myself and 5 other work mates and 2 family members all brought these cars at the same time so I can only asumme these are the facts. But as with most things thats not to say there were no exceptions to the rule. I still have all the original purchase order and options folder put away some ware .
Gidday, I realise this is an old as thread, but I'm hoping somebody can advise me on a related issue. I'm looking at buying an AU3 Forte V8 Sedan that the seller claims has a "Tickford" engine in it. I have my doubts and suspect that if it does, it wasn't factory fitted. It has a signature plate on the passenger side rocker cover though?? (I thought they were on the driver's side). Can anyone say if there was a 185/200/220 engine option available for a Forte in the AU3 series sedan? Can you tell a Tickford engine by its engine number? Also, its got a live axle rear, but I'm also wondering if IRS would've been mandatory with a V8 option? Cheers, Jimmo..
jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #208
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmo View Post
Gidday, I realise this is an old as thread, but I'm hoping somebody can advise me on a related issue. I'm looking at buying an AU3 Forte V8 Sedan that the seller claims has a "Tickford" engine in it. I have my doubts and suspect that if it does, it wasn't factory fitted. It has a signature plate on the passenger side rocker cover though?? (I thought they were on the driver's side). Can anyone say if there was a 185/200/220 engine option available for a Forte in the AU3 series sedan? Can you tell a Tickford engine by its engine number? Also, its got a live axle rear, but I'm also wondering if IRS would've been mandatory with a V8 option? Cheers, Jimmo..
A Forte sedan could be had with -

4.0 157kW inline 6
4.0 142kW inline 6 (LPG/DLPG)
5.0 175kW V8.

The 5.0 V8 was a $3327 option on the AU III Forte.

There was no option available to add the 185/200/220/250 V8's to a Forte. Hand built Tickford V8's had the engine builders signature applied to the drivers side rocker cover.

IRS was not mandatory with the V8 engine, it was however a $1135 option available on Forte sedan, Futura sedan and Fairmont sedan. An LSD was a $350 option on Forte, Futura and XR6 HP.

Get the seller to send a pic of the throttle body, there will be a Tickford logo on it if it has a "Tickford engine in it".
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #209
jimmo
Starter Motor

Thanks for that, will do..
jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #210
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
A Forte sedan could be had with -

4.0 157kW inline 6
4.0 142kW inline 6 (LPG/DLPG)
5.0 175kW V8.

The 5.0 V8 was a $3327 option on the AU III Forte.

There was no option available to add the 185/200/220/250 V8's to a Forte. Hand built Tickford V8's had the engine builders signature applied to the drivers side rocker cover.

IRS was not mandatory with the V8 engine, it was however a $1135 option available on Forte sedan, Futura sedan and Fairmont sedan. An LSD was a $350 option on Forte, Futura and XR6 HP.

Get the seller to send a pic of the throttle body, there will be a Tickford logo on it if it has a "Tickford engine in it".
Just to add what DFB has contributed, check the engine number vs the chassis number. If it is the factory fitted V8, the numbers will be the same ie. numbers matching. There is a chance the it has been converted to V8 or even was a factory V8 with an alternate engine in it. There is no way to tell immediately if the engine is a 175/185 or 200kw version ( I believe a 200kw will have roller rockers, whereas the 175/185 will just have the stamped steel rockers, but of course that involves taking a rocker cover off). If it is a proper 220kw , it will have the Tickford wings on the EGR plate of the throttle body and the heads will be stamped with a "T" on the front upper of the DS head and Rear upper of the PS head.

The Tickford modified heads that were on 220 and 250KW engines had this T Stamp on the vertical surface just under the rocker covers:

These had larger valves than the 175/185/200kw versions.

Hope that helps
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Last edited by auIILTD; 04-06-2022 at 09:05 PM.
3 users like this post: