Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
vbomber

Default AdBlue Shortage

Going to an interesting few months.....

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...6e46733da075be
Quote:
China is the major supplier of urea to the Asia-Pacific region, however, the nation has recently massively scaled back exports of the item in a bid to reduce domestic fertiliser prices. That’s because urea also a major component in fertiliser due to its high nitrogen levels.

Australia is a substantial importer of urea, with 80 per cent of our supply coming from China – and while we do create some urea locally, it’s not enough to address the issue.

Now, Australia is about to feel the pinch, with those in the know about the looming crisis affecting AdBlue reportedly attempting to stockpile supplies.

However, it is understood there is not enough product available to avert the problem, with rumours swirling that supplies could dwindle to critical levels within weeks, or by March 2022 at the latest.
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Magee

Default Re: AdBlue Shortage

I am going to get in early on this one and say that I think somebody is taking the **** out of us with this story.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
I am going to get in early on this one and say that I think somebody is taking the **** out of us with this story.
I see what you did there
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
p!ssing myself
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
tweeked
N/A all the way

That’s a wee bit funny

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Oh look, another convenient reason for the transport industry to raise prices while also dropping the ball
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Oh look, another convenient reason for the transport industry to raise prices while also dropping the ball
Franco

thats so unfair.
Driver shortage pushing up wages -cost increase.
Decreased productivity due traffic congestion -cost increase
Fuel price increases-cost increase

Ad blue unavailability will probably bring Aus to its knees half the trucks need it.
However NZ produces urea so Scotty may have to pressure jacinda.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We are Gulf Western Oil distributors and there had been warnings for months about shortages. We now have none in Australia. "May" get some in 6 weeks. Every bugger ringing chasing it.......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-...hina/100673482

Last edited by buggerlugs; 04-12-2021 at 10:13 AM.
buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the articles, it states that cars which require adblue will go into limp mode and won't restart if the tank runs out.

In an emergency, can car manufacturers get the computer to bypass that mode? Then it would just run like a normal diesel right? Surely that is an option if indeed there is a risk of half our logistic transports grinding to a halt?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
In the articles, it states that cars which require adblue will go into limp mode and won't restart if the tank runs out.

In an emergency, can car manufacturers get the computer to bypass that mode? Then it would just run like a normal diesel right? Surely that is an option if indeed there is a risk of half our logistic transports grinding to a halt?
The same can be applied to trucks, but then you'd have the Greenies complaining about all the babies dying through the extra pollution.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

Manufacturers have already said there is no bypass (Huge ECU reprogram) let’s see what new developments there are.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The mighty old ****box fleet pre SCR and DPF will save the day
5 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Manufacturers have already said there is no bypass (Huge ECU reprogram) let’s see what new developments there are.
They probably meant that there's no legal bypass.

https://www.avontuning.co.uk/service...adblue-removal

https://www.chipperformance.nl/en/adblue/
Old 04-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #14
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Another reason to hang on to the Territory or switch to EV's
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:01 PM   #15
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You obviously have no idea of the costs involved with transport and logistics and the never ending compliance issues to operate 100% legal.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
The same can be applied to trucks, but then you'd have the Greenies complaining about all the babies dying through the extra pollution.
killing off greenies babies hmmm cant be all bad after all.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post
You obviously have no idea of the costs involved with transport and logistics and the never ending compliance issues to operate 100% legal.
I have a very good idea of the effects when you take 11 days to deliver my customers goods three suburbs away and they have their customers car on the hoist for weeks, or when I rock into my local Coles and the shelves are bare because they haven't received replenishment from their DC because of 'freight issues'.

Or my stand mixer takes 5 weeks to get delivered to me because its caught in Sunshine's Australia Post sorting yard.

There's no 'driver shortage', there's a shortage of people who will work for **** all and be abused for the pittance they get paid. Same as the hospitality industry which has been exploiting foreign labour on 'skilled visas' for decades which the tap suddenly got turned off.

I spend $30,000 a month with one freight company at work, when I start asking questions why they aren't holding up their end of the bargain, I want answers not generic 'COVID' and 'driver shortage' responses.

Freight industry motto is 'over promise and under deliver', they're all full of ****.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-12-2021 at 01:15 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #18
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Cummins and Paccar in the US offer a temp ECM software calibration to delete the after treatment due to a shortage of N0x sensors, approved by the EPA.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fixe...ck-dealers-say

From my experience these sensors are the most common failure in the after treatment system.
Cummins Adblue pumps are also in short supply, and TSB stipulate these are to be flushed to clear any internal blockage as opposed to being replaced. Have seen one truck flushed out four times before authorisation was given to replace from Cummins HQ in Melbourne.

I'm waiting on an adblue delete emulator for a Euro 5 V8 Scania coming from Perth. It has been 3 weeks and it still hasn't arrived.
Whilst adblue is a PITA and an extra cost at $1.65/litre, the main reason for deleting the Scania is to straight pipe it.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Cummins and Paccar in the US offer a temp ECM software calibration to delete the after treatment due to a shortage of N0x sensors, approved by the EPA.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fixe...ck-dealers-say

From my experience these sensors are the most common failure in the after treatment system.
Cummins Adblue pumps are also in short supply, and TSB stipulate these are to be flushed to clear any internal blockage as opposed to being replaced. Have seen one truck flushed out four times before authorisation was given to replace from Cummins HQ in Melbourne.

I'm waiting on an adblue delete emulator for a Euro 5 V8 Scania coming from Perth. It has been 3 weeks and it still hasn't arrived.
Whilst adblue is a PITA and an extra cost at $1.65/litre, the main reason for deleting the Scania is to straight pipe it.
Let’s see if there is work around for no AdBlu in the tank…
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 12:40 AM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this going to be a big issue?
Good to see some workarounds being developed.

Apart from thinking 'hooray for petrol' - long ago I worked on a large plant that was in development that would produce a lot of the nitrogen for fertiliser from our stupendously abundant NW gas fields... I believe it did not eventually come to anything, which is a great shame. Wouldn't be bad if it were up and running now...
Old 05-12-2021, 01:15 AM   #21
tasdex

Ohhhh
Straight piped v8 Scania ,,,,
Nirvana
tasdex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #22
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Greenies won't change their buying habits which drives the market to provide things llike mines, freight, logging, and farming, so I want to see em have to pedal to the actual farm (not the farmers market), for their organic gluten free sustance.

What is more worrying is that in Melb and SA there is a shortage of Melb. Bitter beer (Can't get cans apparently) even though we have bauxite mines and smelters in Aus, THey only have to do two things - get the cans, fillem wiht beer, SHeezus.

Asia shipping in general is now also more difficult and to add to the Adblue comments above, issues were had getting quality tyres for the Falcon last week. None in stock locally - no Toyo C100s, No Kuhmo, "maybe a pair of Falken" 'Not till next year I was told by two different retailers'

I was told the last 4 tyres in that size from Michelin warehouse for PS4's went my way by one (No idea if i was fed a line).

I know of one factory that is regularly shutting due to pallet shortages - (ignoring the pine plantations and local pallet manufacturers ability to turn on extra supply to cope.

Businesses are playing for extra profit / or perhaps retention of profit given higher Asia shipping costs (2-3x)

Next year will be very interesting, this all might just be the preface
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #23
Warrenk

Quote:
The trouble is the none of the fleet that delivers fuel are the mighty old ****box fleet pre SCR and DPF. No use to anyone if there is no fuel. The only vehicles running around will be full electric ones.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #24
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a very good idea of the effects when you take 11 days to deliver my customers goods three suburbs away and they have their customers car on the hoist for weeks, or when I rock into my local Coles and the shelves are bare because they haven't received replenishment from their DC because of 'freight issues'.

Or my stand mixer takes 5 weeks to get delivered to me because its caught in Sunshine's Australia Post sorting yard.

There's no 'driver shortage', there's a shortage of people who will work for **** all and be abused for the pittance they get paid. Same as the hospitality industry which has been exploiting foreign labour on 'skilled visas' for decades which the tap suddenly got turned off.

I spend $30,000 a month with one freight company at work, when I start asking questions why they aren't holding up their end of the bargain, I want answers not generic 'COVID' and 'driver shortage' responses.

Freight industry motto is 'over promise and under deliver', they're all full of ****.
Why doesn't $30K/month of work buy you those answers immediately...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #25
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I imagine they enjoy ****ing him off.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #26
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
He is getting immediate answers, he just doesn't like them or believe them. Not that I blame him.

I have the same problems, on a much smaller scale, and its frustrating to have the exact same bullsh*t generic excuse used 18 months on.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
He is getting immediate answers, he just doesn't like them or believe them. Not that I blame him.

I have the same problems, on a much smaller scale, and its frustrating to have the exact same bullsh*t generic excuse used 18 months on.
They're not answers, they're excuses at best, the rest of the world hasn't collapsed from the same excuses, I wish I could blame everything on COVID and driver shortages at work for everything under the sun.

They come out and they go we're not going to deliver to Melbourne South Eastern suburbs prior to Christmas due to parcel volumes being too high.

So I redirect anything going to Melbourne South East to another freight company, who will actually deliver.

I've got a good idea, every time they **** up and don't deliver then they deliver it for free and they credit me and we'll see how much of my $30,000/month comes back to me, they won't do it though because it holds them accountable.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #28
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

This is where Australia at large discovers the reality of how letting production capacity leave for cheaper offshore sources can come back to bite us.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #29
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
This is where Australia at large discovers the reality of how letting production capacity leave for cheaper offshore sources can come back to bite us.
yes but i highly doubt anything will be done about it or change

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #30
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I meant to reply to this earlier but for

Quote:
They're not answers, they're excuses at best, the rest of the world hasn't collapsed from the same excuses, I wish I could blame everything on COVID and driver shortages at work for everything under the sun.
I incorrectly used the word answers when I should have said excuses. But yes, I agree with you. Constant excuses. It we were 18 months ago I'd consider them acceptable, but now when they'd have time to plan an adapt they just don't fly anymore.

Quote:
I've got a good idea, every time they **** up and don't deliver then they deliver it for free and they credit me and we'll see how much of my $30,000/month comes back to me, they won't do it though because it holds them accountable.
Pi$$ed me off when Australia Post dumped their delivery guarantee. As you said it held them accountable, but only when you had time to complain. Their complaint procedure was so onerous it put people off making complaints.

I lodged 24 late delivery complaints for Dad a while back. Spent nearly 5 hours all up handling it. It wasn't worth the time.

In the last phone call I had with them about a late and missing delivery I made some offhand complaint comments to the person on the phone and they said I should be lodging them as complaints for investigation. I just said "if I had to do that I'd be spending half my week on the phone or emailing AusPost. I don't have time for that".

I ordered a toy for my nephew last weekend, express delivery Melbourne to Perth. Was picked up on 6/12, expected delivery 9/12. I got an alert yesterday saying it's late, which I knew, and that "its taking a little longer than expected. If its not there by 17/12 contact to complain". Can only assume its stuck in North Melbourne or Sunshine again.

My all time favourite with Australia Post is the survey question they send after you have made a complaint.

Quote:
Based on the service provided to you by our customer service representative, how likely are you to recommend Australia Post to your family and friends?
So they are asking me how likely I am to recommend them to others based on how well the phone person took notes and promised investigations of my very late or very lost parcel.

I pointed this bullsh*t question out to them and how its falsifying statistics and their marketing people couldn't understand what my problem was.

Apparently the fact they had misplaced a parcel worth $15k and they were asking for a recommendation based on how nice the call taker was didn't seem strange...
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: