Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #151
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

https://www.omnipod.com/en-au

Haven't researched these but got an email saying they will be added to the govt subsidy list from Dec 1st.
Old 22-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #152
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Having had diabetes for so long, you can understand that I have heard many, many "exciting new developments" in regards to diabetes research, treatments and "cures". I have heard so many that I don't really care.

I say that because I often have people tell me or send me information about the latest miracle cure. I appreciate the thought, but I just too jaded and over the whole disease that I just don't care. I'm them left with the task of acknowledging their well-meaning gesture, even though it doesn't interest me.

I am loving the new developments in regard to treatment, the Libre sensor being the biggest change and improvement for me personally. I guess those comments above are more geared towards the "cure breakthroughs" that get written about every six months. That gets old after 30 years.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #153
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Am I the only one who feels this way?
No. The media and the research 'industry' are both guilty of over-hyping research results. The lab I used to work for recently had a write-up about their varroa mite research, capitalising on the press at the time. They even went so far as to claim they expected to see new varroa-specific insecticides in the next 2 years, which knowing how long research like that actually takes (let alone the regulatory hurdles in getting a product to market), is at best wildly optimistic. The hype is as much about keeping the funding coming as anything else.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #154
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This has been a long time in coming, so I'm not surprised, but I was officially diagnosed with Celiac disease today.

Celiac Disease and Diabetes go hand in hand, they are both autoimmune conditions with 6% of diabetics living with both diseases.

I'm not going to go into the symptoms other than to say I had been experiencing these for many years now, it all sort of makes sense now.
The result of Celiac disease can lead to malabsorption of key nutrients, which in turn leads to a variety of other issues including iron deficiency, bone density problems, fatigue, weight loss and poor liver function.

Ten years ago, there was limited options for gluten-free food. However, with more awareness of the condition, finding suitable substitutes and changing my diet has been relatively easy. And I'm slowing feeling better too...........although a bout of Covid put a spanner in the works. At least now I have some answers.

For anyone with a Diabetic in the family, it's good practice to be tested for Celiac as well. There are three main tests for Celiac disease, two being simple blood tests. The first blood test only detects if you have Celiac disease in your system, the second test is actually a gene test. If you come back with positive results for the gene test, you are more than likely going to develop Celiac at some stage. For this reason, it's important to ask for both blood tests so that you can be aware of it popping up in the future. Once you have positive results from both blood tests, you then require a gastroscopy to confirm your condition and then go on a gluten free diet.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #155
prydey
Rob

Sorry to hear mate. Both my daughters have been checked because like you say, it isn't unusual for type 1 sufferers to also get coeliac. They are both negative for it which is good.

My wife on the other hand is coeliac. It gets a bit frustrating for her at times but these days it's great that so many companies are thinking of gluten free products, esp baked products. Still difficult to find nice bread rolls and wraps but we have found a couple that are good. Just not always available at all shops.

If you need any tips on what brands we find good or just any help in general feel free to reach out. Happy to give advice or help where I can.
Old 23-12-2022, 09:11 PM   #156
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Sorry to hear mate. Both my daughters have been checked because like you say, it isn't unusual for type 1 sufferers to also get coeliac. They are both negative for it which is good.

My wife on the other hand is coeliac. It gets a bit frustrating for her at times but these days it's great that so many companies are thinking of gluten free products, esp baked products. Still difficult to find nice bread rolls and wraps but we have found a couple that are good. Just not always available at all shops.

If you need any tips on what brands we find good or just any help in general feel free to reach out. Happy to give advice or help where I can.
Thanks!

It's the bread that I miss the most, almost everything else is fine. I have found some Abbott's bread that I actually like and doesn't taste weird.

Did your girls have the gene test as well? If your wife has it, then they will likely have positives for the three genes they look at.
Mustang GT

Old 31-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #157
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ever since I had Covid, my sugar levels have been out of control.

Initially, I was running a touch higher than normal, mainly because I was so inactive.

However, after the first few days, I have been battling more hypos than usual. Last week I had 5 in one day, I just couldn't keep the sugar in my system. If I wasn't already fatigued, the constant hypos and rebounding made me even more exhausted.

Hoping it settles out soon, although eating lollies has been somewhat nice.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2022, 08:42 PM   #158
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Initially, I was running a touch higher than normal, mainly because I was so inactive.

However, after the first few days, I have been battling more hypos than usual. Last week I had 5 in one day, I just couldn't keep the sugar in my system. If I wasn't already fatigued, the constant hypos and rebounding made me even more exhausted.

I remember before my kids were on pumps, sick days or weeks used to be the same because their insulin regime was set for when they weren't sick. Used to have stuff like hydrolite or similar to try to keep sugar levels up while the appetite is non existent or feeling nauseous.

Pumps don't work for everyone but they have a lot of benefits when you are sick. The ability to tailor the regime to suit, or suspend insulin altogether is great.

I know that doesn't help you out DFB but I do understand your plight. Hope it returns to 'normal' soon for you.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:27 PM   #159
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:

I have Type 2 and found the same thing when I had COVID, except my sugar levels were higher than normal until I managed to get it out of my system...no big deal compared to what you're going through granted
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #160
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I consider myself an excellent online shopper, but I'm having problems finding a place that will sell me a new NovoPen. (Yes, I still use needles for insulin). Any ideas?

https://www.novonordisk.com/our-prod...pen-echo.html#
Mustang GT

Old 21-02-2023, 09:56 PM   #161
prydey
Rob

Following that link, they have an Australian site, which lists an office in Sydney. Might be worth contacting them.
Old 21-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #162
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Following that link, they have an Australian site, which lists an office in Sydney. Might be worth contacting them.
I have spent the last 30 minutes attempting find these for sale online. Nothing! For f's shake, it's not 1997!

I know my chemist sells some, but not these in particular. I just don't get it, absolutely nothing listed for sale online anywhere.
Mustang GT

Old 21-02-2023, 10:21 PM   #163
prydey
Rob

My wife suggested the Facebook type 1 community.. Or diabetic educator. We got ours through the diabetic educator we see. Sorry can't be of more help.
Old 21-02-2023, 10:23 PM   #164
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
My wife suggested the Facebook type 1 community.. Or diabetic educator. We got ours through the diabetic educator we see. Sorry can't be of more help.
Thanks. I guess they don't want to be giving/selling these to anyone and everyone. Just really outdated way of doing things.
Mustang GT

Old 21-02-2023, 11:14 PM   #165
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I have Type 2 and found the same thing when I had COVID, except my sugar levels were higher than normal until I managed to get it out of my system...no big deal compared to what you're going through granted
Type 2 can be reversible.

Just stop living the lifestyle that you've been living to cause it.,

3 meals a day plus snacks = problems.

Eat wholefoods.

You're not a toddler or ca cow, you don't need to eat every hour.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 11:54 PM   #166
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have spent the last 30 minutes attempting find these for sale online. Nothing!
https://www.desertcart.com.au/produc...dge-pen-device

Looks like it drop-ships from the UK though...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #167
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I eventually managed to be connected to Novo Nordisk this afternoon and have two new Echo pens being delivered.

These pens go beyond what I have been using for 20 years now in that they offer a digital log of previous doses, adding an extra layer of safety into the mix. Mistakes happen, not often but they are scary and in theory, could cost you your life. Diabetic bed death is a thing. The NovoPen Echo differs from the NovoPen 5 in that it allows half unit doses, usually suited to children but also for those who are more sensitive to insulin like me. (An active job is the cause of this.)

I think of how far we have come with diabetes management over the 30 years I have had the disease. Being frank, I'm still in the dark ages by manually injecting insulin rather than relying on a pump. But..........it suits me and my situation and was actually what my endo recommended even though I was all ready to go on a pump not that long ago.

When I phoned and asked about obtaining an Echo pen, the guy asked my name, date of birth and address................and that was it! I even asked if it was possible to have two sent as I have one at work and one at home, of course was the reply. So, why couldn't this have been done online? Fill out a form with the above information, perhaps put in your NDSS card number for verification. Instead, I'm left sitting on hold as if it's 1997. So, we have come a long way, but stood still in other areas.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2023, 06:08 PM   #168
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

New pens arrived today....................

Example of them in use.........

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #169
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Had a bit of a panic last night before bed applying a new Libre sensor.

Followed the usual procedure in removing and installing a new sensor. I had the area prepped with an alcohol swab, offset to where the previous one had been and then punched the applicator on my arm.

When I lifted the applicator away from the sensor, I had blood literally pouring out of the center of the sensor. Not a drip, but a flow. I had to resist pulling the thing off, that would be a wasted sensor, admittedly only costing me $15 each now. I panicked a bit and made myself nauseous in the process. It eventually stopped but was pretty scary.
Mustang GT

Old 09-03-2023, 08:36 PM   #170
prydey
Rob

Bleeders are readers
Old 27-09-2023, 06:40 PM   #171
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Automatic glucose readings sent to your phone, every single minute

https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/no-scanning

This is a fantastic update to the Libre software, meaning users will no longer need to scan the sensor to get readings.

"With the FreeStyle LibreLinkØ 2.10 update, sensor glucose data is now sent straight to your phone, with no scanning required!*

This update is available now on iOS and Android. It's free to upgrade, and you still use the same FreeStyle Libre 2 sensors as before."
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #172
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Curious, does it give you autonomy over other data like location, or is it a case where you’ve got to grant all permissions to access this feature?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #173
prydey
Rob

It's only a small thing but it's super helpful.

Dexcom have had this tech for a few years now and you can pair it with a smart watch as well, so no need to even get the phone out. My youngest just needs to look at her watch to get live readings.

My youngest has tandem t slim pump paired with the dexcom cgm.

My eldest has medtronic pump (which is better in our experience) and I'm not sure where they're up to with their cgm tech. I think their latest iteration may also be closed loop and give live readings.

My eldest was using libre2 sensors as medtronic weren't as reliable but now they are so she has switched back.
Old 27-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #174
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Curious, does it give you autonomy over other data like location, or is it a case where you’ve got to grant all permissions to access this feature?
I'm not sure to be honest, I'm just happy to have the freedom it has granted me. Can't remember the last time I did a physical blood test.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #175
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My control over the last week has been terrible, the yoyo pattern is hard to break. Today was extremely unpleasant. I woke at 20.9, dosed generously and was still 17.5 at 10am. I micro dosed and then at 12pm........................

I can certainly feel a 3.1, but the thing to note with the above image is the downward arrow, meaning the figure would have been lower than the that as the sensor measures interstitial fluid rather than blood. I was at the babbling stage and close to lights out on this occasion.

The problem with hypos is the inevitable rebound after eating to correct the condition....................

In both images, you can see how high I was this morning, then the plumet, then the rebound. Its been like this for a week now. Stress, activity levels, food, medications and insulin intake all play the part in these numbers.

The biggest problem, apart from the actual frustration, is the way the wild fluctuations drain your energy, leaving you fatigued and grumpy (well, more grumpy than usual for me).
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #176
prydey
Rob

If this is out of the ordinary there's a good chance your body is fighting off a virus or something.

Otherwise if you are having a particularly stressful time which coincides with the ups and downs that's probably enough to influence your levels.

I know pumps don't suit you and your work/ lifestyle but that is one of their main benefits when paired with a cgm. They react automatically with no input (to a point) from the individual. You can still have fluctuating levels but the pump will generally suspend insulin before you get dangerously low.
Old 24-11-2023, 08:41 PM   #177
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Levels have seemingly normalized for today, although I've been riddled with headaches and fatigue.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: