Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 
Default Power window upgrade

Howdy. Did AU sedans with power windows all have a window lock button? Did ANY utes come with a lock button? I'm assembling the bits to convert the ute, but the door trims I got from an XR6 ute have no lock button. I want to be the one in control of the passenger window, not the dog! So I'm wondering what my options are. I guess I could dodgy up a switch to cut the power to that side. Be nice to keep it looking factory though.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the 4-door power windows setup (Fairmonts, Fairlanes, AUII+ Futuras & OPT20s) did have a lock button, but the regular ones did not. And there's nothing to stop you from rigging up a switch
Old 23-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

I found a pic of the premo unit on ebay. Probably not worth trying to retrofit the factory lock button. I'll just look for a suitable rocker switch. Thanks Mr H.

Old 23-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there'd be no point in the factory button anyway, it only locks out the rear passenger windows on sedans and wagons, the front passenger window still works with the switch locked...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
illusivedreams

What Parts are required for the converion,
I would love to do my ute as well.
What price did you pay for the parts.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
there'd be no point in the factory button anyway, it only locks out the rear passenger windows on sedans and wagons, the front passenger window still works with the switch locked...
I did not know that. Huh. I suppose i've never tried. Nor locked the windows, nor needed to. Kinda like my child locks on my rear doors, for all i know they don't work, or do work? I have no idea.
Old 24-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
lofty
Rusticating

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusivedreams
What Parts are required for the converion,
I would love to do my ute as well.
What price did you pay for the parts.
Pair of door trims with switches: $100
Pair of regulators: $100
Pair of door looms: $37

All from ebay, over a period of time, and all 2nd hand. I believe it can be done without the factory looms, but I thought it was worth another $40 to make it easy & neat. Prices are without postage.

I still have to find a pair of inner door handles and a door lock button in black, but that's my fault for putting black door trims into a grey interior. I think it will look ok though, as I've used black mats & seat covers <shrug>.

Old 29-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
lofty
Rusticating

Default Clunking

What does it mean when your window regulator makes a loud clunk as it tops out? You can avoid it if you let the button go quick enough, but it doesn't seem right to me. Are there any adjustments? Hope I haven't bought a dud.

Old 29-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Mr Hardware

wait, do you mean when your windows go down or up do you hear the thud?
mine thuds on landing down
Old 29-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
lofty
Rusticating

Up only. Drivers side anyway. Haven't got the passenger one in yet.

Old 29-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno mate, mine don't make any sound even with the auto down on the driver's side...
Old 30-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #12
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has the door got an adjustment for the bolts to regulate where the window sits? you may have the mechanism sitting too high up so it has to hit the end of travel and use the over current to shut off the motor.

As has been said, thelockout button will not lock out the front passenger window, your best options are to install a rocker switch that will cut power to the button, or to have the switch on the passenger door unplugged, so that the drivers door is the only switch that'll operate the window..
a bit of food for thought.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
lofty
Rusticating

Well I have power windows. :
It took me two solid days. My hands hurt, my back aches, I'm totally drained. If I'd known how hard it would be I probably wouldn't have started.

But I cannot tell you how much I love my ute right now. :

<voice: "Homer Simpson"> Window goes up, window goes down. Window goes up........</voice>

Old 30-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, at least yours is only a ute. doing a 4 window conversion on a sedan with home made wiring is worse... especially getting it through the dog leg thing on the back doors...

but, good job, i'm glad it works
Old 30-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Well I have power windows. :
It took me two solid days. My hands hurt, my back aches, I'm totally drained. If I'd known how hard it would be I probably wouldn't have started.

But I cannot tell you how much I love my ute right now. :

<voice: "Homer Simpson"> Window goes up, window goes down. Window goes up........</voice>
Good to hear mate! i'm just about to do the same conversion but am unsure how to work the wiring, any tips on how you setup the wiring?

glenn
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
lofty
Rusticating

EF4.0, basically you need to run a power feed from the fuse panel into each door. Then you need a pair of wires that connect the passenger switch on the driver's side to the passenger's switch. If you see what I mean. That's the simple way. I'll see if I can put together a bit of a how-to. How soon are you starting? I Might need a few days.

Bodes-sh, do you need to swap the BEM? I read somewhere you'll blow something up if you don't fit one from a 4 door power window model. Man I do not envy you though. However, it would be easier if you've done it once.

MaTTe, thanks, I got the lockout switch sussed. Works beaut.

Old 31-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
EF4.0, basically you need to run a power feed from the fuse panel into each door. Then you need a pair of wires that connect the passenger switch on the driver's side to the passenger's switch. If you see what I mean. That's the simple way. I'll see if I can put together a bit of a how-to. How soon are you starting? I Might need a few days.

i'm not in a hurry, would appreciate a how to if possible.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah i didn't change the bem. i'm not running through it tho, i got a timed relay setup from jaycar, was about $30 i think and i have it set for 30 secs so when i turn the key off i can run the windows for 30 secs before the power cuts out. i did have it hard wires in the beginning so you could use them without the key, but didn't like that idea.

the standard bem didn't even run the windows. there is an output on the back of the fuse panel that is for them, but because mine never had front power ones the bem wasn't set up for it...
Old 31-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
Mr Hardware

Quote:
i did have it hard wires in the beginning so you could use them without the key, but didn't like that idea.
what, like wind up windows?
Old 31-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
lofty
Rusticating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
nah i didn't change the bem. i'm not running through it tho, i got a timed relay setup from jaycar, was about $30 i think and i have it set for 30 secs so when i turn the key off i can run the windows for 30 secs before the power cuts out. i did have it hard wires in the beginning so you could use them without the key, but didn't like that idea.

the standard bem didn't even run the windows. there is an output on the back of the fuse panel that is for them, but because mine never had front power ones the bem wasn't set up for it...
That's interesting. My low series(?) AUIII BEM runs the window relay with the 45 sec delay. Will have to note that difference in my how-to. The delay cuts to 10 sec once a door is opened. In view of my excitable mutt I think I'd prefer it instant off. Or maybe 5 sec.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
lofty
Rusticating

Ok I'm working on the text for my how-to and there's one section I'm not happy with, about moving the ECU. I did do some searching but couldn't find anything. I would appreciate any input or links to make this section more ... convincing. Here is my draft:

The passenger door is virtually identical. The difference is that to gain access to the loom connector inside the pillar, you need to move the ECU out of the way. (Disconnect the battery if you haven't already.) I know there are at least two different brackets for these. If you have the narrow strap type held by a screw, you're lucky. Mine was a large affair, designed to foul the dash when you try to swing it aside. But first you have to get it open. I was lucky in that my LPG fitter had already butchered mine so I just had to undo a screw. I'm guessing it had two of those nasty big rivets like the doors. Looks like a job for Mr Angle Grinder, some damp rags and a LOT of care. If someone has a better way please speak up. Once you have the fasteners off, you have to swing the bracket away. If it fouls the dash like mine, be advised that no amount of wriggling and swearing helped, and it was brute force that won the day. Then you can wriggle the ECU out a bit and undo the screw at the inner bottom of the bracket. Then you have SOME chance of lifting the bracket 'door' off it's hinges. Then you can pull the ECU away to the right and the body of the bracket should lift up and away from the pillar. Then it will be very easy to see the door loom connector directly above. Once you have that bracket out, "off with its head!" [PIC]

Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

far out, mine is an au1, so it is obviously different. i had the old e series style one, just a small screw and narrow strap, just undid the screw and shifted it out of the way...

i'm not sure why mine wouldn't work, but it is a feb 99 au1, so way before the update model came out... the relay setup i used though you can adjust, i think anything from 1 second up to 10 min, so i have a hell of a range.. in another thread someone suggested using the power feed for the boot release (in a sedan obviously) as it times out after about 7 minutes after ignition off, but i reckon that's too long...

yes mr hardware, basically open the door, press the switch and you could use the windows.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #23
lofty
Rusticating

How to fit power windows to an AU (front only)

Article relocated to the Tech portal HERE

Last edited by russellw; 25-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff. very well done, i reckon it should help a few people. even though they are a pain, you can drill those rivets out. i drilled mine out, you just need to use a fairly small drill bit and go in at an angle to the centre bit that pokes up. then go to a bigger bit to get most of the internals out. then you can wiggle the bracket and it will pull the rivets out of the doors. i do hate them though, they are a total pain.

the only other thing i noticed was, i guess you didn't get them, but the person i got my door trims off gave me the bolts for them too. there was one that went just above and in front of the top of the handle, although my car didn't have a thread in the hole the bolt was sort of self tapping, i just screwed it in and out slowly until it cut a thread for it. but, au3's may be different and i did mine quite a while ago so i can't quite remember exactly.

as for the circuit breaker, i just used a 30a fuse and it is holding up fine running both fronts together (haven't got enough fingers to do the rears too, lol) so, for anyone that doesn't have the breaker, that's another option.

you may require more than lemonade after you have finished it though
Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
lofty
Rusticating

Thanks bodes-sh. That's exactly the sort of info I was hoping to flush out.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
TK-421

Hey Lofty, that is excellent work! your doco gives me the confidence to give it a try, thanks for your time and effort champ!
Old 21-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Rapps
FORDS!!!!!

Well done!!! The best way to remove rivet is to use a center punch on the steel insert, that will pop it through the alloy and leave a small hole, then simplt drill out remainder of allot rivet.
Rapps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
parkerhawkins
Starter Motor

Default Re: Power window upgrade

Thanks for the guide Lofty.

Just completed my power window upgrade on my XL AU2 ute. Working perfectly. Took about 6 Hours $205 for all parts.
parkerhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
lofty
Rusticating

I've had a request for the missing pictures, which I provided by email. I will send them to anyone who wants them, but I would prefer to send them to one person who can host them and link here. I don't have a hosting account any more and don't really want one.

Old 29-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
I've had a request for the missing pictures, which I provided by email. I will send them to anyone who wants them, but I would prefer to send them to one person who can host them and link here. I don't have a hosting account any more and don't really want one.
Hi. Send a PM off to russellw with the photos and let him perform his magic. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post