Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
LastLine
Starter Motor

Talking Series 1 AU Falcon Coolant Flush

Hey fellas, just wondering what would be the best way to flush all of the coolant out of my good ol' falcoon. I've been looking around and there is no clear descriptions on how to do it. Thanks
LastLine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Series 1 AU Falcon Coolant Flush

Hi & welcome to AFF LastLine, yep there isnt much on how to flush your AU's engine. Heres a good link that will help you hopefully, good luck -

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...o/a78/1272246/

Edit - dont forget to turn your heater to hot & fan to flat out to bleed your system after flushing before starting your engine, leave on till your engine gets to operating temp.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
LastLine
Starter Motor

I have had a look at that and other threads and people have been saying i need to disconnect the thermostat ect. to be able to flush the coolant out of the block. If i have the heater going flat out it should open up the thermostat and it should flush out that way, correct?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
I have had a look at that and other threads and people have been saying i need to disconnect the thermostat ect. to be able to flush the coolant out of the block. If i have the heater going flat out it should open up the thermostat and it should flush out that way, correct?
replace the thermostat
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
No, to do it properly, i would take out the thermostat & backflush the block, replace the thermostat if its old & crusty lol!

After youve flushed & reassembled the thermostat block, switch the heater & fan flatout, bleed till engine is at operating temp, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
LastLine
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Series 1 AU Falcon Coolant Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
No, to do it properly, i would take out the thermostat & backflush the block, replace the thermostat if its old & crusty lol!

After youve flushed & reassembled the thermostat block, switch the heater & fan flatout, bleed till engine is at operating temp, good luck!

cheers, Maka
Thanks heaps my dude, might as well replace it while i'm in there.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
smally289
growing up is optional

Another way that I found was to remove the small bypass hose from the side of the thermostat housing & add water to the header tank with a garden hose with the motor running. Sticking a spare length of hose on the bypass hose fitting long enough to hang past the front bumper stops the water hitting the drive belt & making a mess.
As long as you keep the header tank full you can run it like this for several minutes.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post