Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #31
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

I just used an online gear calculator and came up with:
3248@100kmh for Zetec

29700@100kmh for LX

I also just realised the final drive for the LX is 4.25 v's 4.06 for Zetec.
Terror6X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #32
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawags
3248@100kmh for Zetec

29700@100kmh for LX

Those figures for the Zetec sound spot on,........ 3200@100kmh and 3500@110kmh, I suspected the LX would rev a little lower, this is one of my minor gripes with the Zetec, I can understand the lower ratios from 1st to 4th over the LX, as I said previously gives the Zetec that extra spurt out of the starting blocks, but for the Ford engineers to keep that way of thinking up into the 5th ratio makes no sense to me at all, should have made 5th a bit taller for highway cruising in my opinion, in saying that the car is still pretty quiet and reasonably composed at that speed, doesn't seem to worry it at all, if anything it wants to go further into the rev range, just a little unsettling when you first drive the Zetec if you're used to a much lower revving car, it is of course just the way the ratios have been designed in this car.........a sixth synchro would have been perfect but of course unheard of in this class of car, Ford or otherwise........ At the end of the day like anything you need the right tool for the job, if it's mainly city driving darting in and out of traffic or taking on those twisting and winding roads then the Zetec is "definately the right tool for the job"..........for highway driving at 110kmh up and down the South East Freeway every day,....... not too sure about that one, that's your call, I know that if I decide to take the family down to the Coast for the day, it is not the Zetec that is called upon......that's not what the Zetec is for.........wrong tool for the job........we would take the wifes 1.8L Mitsubishi Lancer which has a very high set of ratios, it will cruise along at 110kmh and over all day long without even raising a sweat........difficult decision eawags, when all is said and done it comes down to the old saying.........."you pays ya money and you takes ya chance."
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #33
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

How far are you getting per tank Rob?
Old 22-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #34
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How far are you getting per tank Rob?
I cant say for sure, I dont take too much notice of fuel economy, just fill it up whenever it runs down to about quarter full, I would never run it right down to next to nothing and risk stuffing the injectors, I always put in 98RON Premium Unleaded, three quarters of a tank would probably last me in the vicinity of 4 days which works out to be around 320kms for me getting back and forth to work.....all moderate to heavy traffic driving, when I fill it up the digital readout indicator usually claims around 520kms available in each tank full.......dont know how accurate it is though?, in general I would say it does seem to like a bit of a drink in comparison to other cars I have owned.......but then I do tend to drive it a tad hard too......."you just cant help but give it some juice..........it is good fun, I must say that",.......also seems to get a fair bit of attention on the road,......turns heads a bit, I think it's because it's something a little different, not very common, whereas Suzuki Swift's are now absolutely everywhere,........ in the month or so I have had the car driving in and out of the city every day doing around 400kms a week, "I have not yet seen one single other WQ Zetec on the road here in Brisbane, and have only spotted 2 WP Zetec's in all that time, one last week in Tango and a Red one today"......I must say I do very much enjoy that part of owning this car.
Old 22-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #35
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I cant say for sure, I dont take too much notice of fuel economy, just fill it up whenever it runs down to about quarter full, I would never run it right down to next to nothing and risk stuffing the injectors, I always put in 98RON Premium Unleaded, three quarters of a tank would probably last me in the vicinity of 4 days which works out to be around 320kms for me getting back and forth to work.....all moderate to heavy traffic driving, when I fill it up the digital readout indicator usually claims around 520kms available in each tank full.......dont know how accurate it is though?, in general I would say it does seem to like a bit of a drink in comparison to other cars I have owned.......but then I do tend to drive it a tad hard too......."you just cant help but give it some juice..........it is good fun, I must say that",.......also seems to get a fair bit of attention on the road,......turns heads a bit, I think it's because it's something a little different, not very common, whereas Suzuki Swift's are now absolutely everywhere,........ in the month or so I have had the car driving in and out of the city every day doing around 400kms a week, "I have not yet seen one single other WQ Zetec on the road here in Brisbane, and have only spotted 2 WP Zetec's in all that time, one last week in Tango and a Red one today"......I must say I do very much enjoy that part of owning this car.
Keep an eye out for a black one with euro plates, that be me...
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #36
frinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I do about 800km a week getting to and from work consisting of 40km each way by 5 days a week, takes about an hour each way, traffic here in Bris I swear is getting worse by the day.......if I would have one complaint about my WQ Zetec it is that the seats are a bit "firm"......give's one a bit of a numb rear by the end of the journey, just my opinion....haven't heard anyone else complain though......maybe I need a bit more "padding" in that area, perhaps a few more Macca's drive-throughs in order? :
Hey Rob ...just get some nice paddy seat covers ...they work a treat ...
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #37
lokets
Starter Motor

Quote:
3248@100kmh for Zetec

29700@100kmh for LX

I think you meant: 2970 RPM for 100 kph for LX.

Does anyone have the RPM for an automatic LX @ 100 kph?
lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #38
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
eawags, where did you see this online calculator, sounds very usefull.
Old 23-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #39
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

Just did a google search for 'gear calculator'. Somewhere out there is a zip program version i once downloaded and it lets you put in every gear ratio, final drive,tyre size and redline and it tells you max speed in gears and also what rpm the engine will drop to if you change from say 1st to 2nd at a particular rpm.

Hmmm, 29700 sounds a little high even for the fiesta.
Old 25-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #40
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the Auto LX I got around 2900-3000 at 100kmph
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #41
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regarding the LX vs Zetec- how much difference is there in the handling;and how much of it is due to the larger wheels vs the suspension improvements?

I'm possibly looking at a change of vehicles and want something that handles nicely again. I would prefer the five door (ie LX), but a 3 door could be a possiblity (because the Zetec sounds more like what I want to drive?)
Old 25-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #42
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

The suspension is definately more sporting. The tyres are great too, Continental ContiSportContacts. The shorter gearing helps acceleration a bit. The Zetec is a real hoot to drive, but the LX certainly ain't that far behind.