Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #241
aratic

You'll get used to the power pretty quick.

When are you gonna plastidip the wheels :P
Old 20-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #242
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratic View Post
You'll get used to the power pretty quick.

When are you gonna plastidip the wheels :P
Probably over the weekend mate. Might try dark grey with metalizer over the top instead of straight black this time.

Sensation of acceleration isn't a big drop from my xr6t which I find incredible.

edit: just stumbled across a place local to me that is 1/3 cheaper than autobarn etc. for dip

a lighting fixture supplier of all places?
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!

Last edited by martinijosh; 20-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #243
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Default Re: WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Hi all. Soon to be an ST owner here (if all goes to plan).

Just a quick question (sorry if it's already been asked - I did have a read through the 3 ST threads at the top of the sub-forum page); what grade oil is everyone running? I'd assume the OEM oil would be at least a 5W30. I've currently got an MY06 Impreza (2L non-turbo) and I run some Mobil1 5W30 with great results. I'd assume the same would defiantly suit the ST, but wondering if anyone is running something like the Mobil1 0W40. Sure the cost is high, but if I expect my engine to cop a flogging and stay in shape, I'm happy to give it the best oil & fuel!

I've also been reading through the Photo & Mods thread - seen a number of things I really like and have subsequently added to my list!! Tint & a diff/cat back muffler will definitely be the first things to get done.
RelSpecificity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #244
Skramit

Well the dealer and the service dept I rang strongly strongly recommend I don't touch the oil till 15k service. It does run in better apparently with the stock oil and they told me it was unwise to put in a nice synth oil at 3k. Meh. Dunno about others though...
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #245
clem0x

Yeah I've done a bit of research on oil during the run-in period and many advised not to use full synth but you are fine with using a semi-synthetic oil to assist with running it in as I believe that's what they come filled with stock off the manufacturing line.

Theres an awesome thread about running in the car in the FiestaSt.org forum here http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta...eak-101-a.html

It is a pretty **** retentive comprehensive guide on how to run your car in. People may debate that it's not required for new cars but it's not like it will hurt especially if in the long run it would make your car run more efficiently.

As for 0-40 oil I dont think it will be a problem with the ST, it only means its a thinner oil on startup, but once it runs on normal operating temperature it won't make much of a difference from 0-40w and 5-30w oil in our weather.

For my car, after 1000k's i'm going to do an oil change myself with some penrite semi-synthetic oil and run with that oil until I reach 15k then I would be switching to penrite HPR 5-30w full synthetic for the life of the car.
Old 21-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #246
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramit View Post
Well the dealer and the service dept I rang strongly strongly recommend I don't touch the oil till 15k service. It does run in better apparently with the stock oil and they told me it was unwise to put in a nice synth oil at 3k. Meh. Dunno about others though...
No offence to anyone here who may be a dealer; but I take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

There are those who say certain things about synthetics, both for and against. Without wanting to get into a debate over it, Mobil1 does have a page worth reading IMO:

Myths About Synthetics

Having said that, it'll probably be about 5,000km before I've got the time to drop the oil anyway
Old 21-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #247
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Oh, that's another question, and will probably be one of the first things I do - brakes.

The OEM brakes seem to get ok reviews, but I'll be swapping out for some DBA4000 slotted rotors and some QFM HPX pads all round. Had these in with excellent results on my Impreza for years now. Has anyone else changed out any brake components? Any comments on the braking performance/bias?
Old 21-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #248
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Love QFM pads. Not as good stone cold as a regular street pad but they're excellent when they have some heat in them.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #249
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Any reason why my phones might not be connecting to the car automatically? One is windows phone 8 the other is android 4.3

I'm also pretty sure the WT can have 2 phones connected to it at the same time but the WZ doesn't seem to wanna do it?
Old 21-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #250
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Any reason why my phones might not be connecting to the car automatically? One is windows phone 8 the other is android 4.3

I'm also pretty sure the WT can have 2 phones connected to it at the same time but the WZ doesn't seem to wanna do it?
One more question, when I press "on" for the cruise control there is no indication that is on and ready to be set like every other car I've driven with Cruise control.

It does show up an indication once the cruise is set, though. What's up with that?
Old 22-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #251
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

And another developed since it rained tonight, wipers on low speed/on auto aren't sliding over the glass properly. I can hear the wipers dragging across the glass as if there's resistance and the motors at slow speed just can't hack it and start shuddering. Detailing product left on the windscreen maybe?

Video here, windscreen was wet even though you can't see it in the video

http://youtu.be/A9EBV7K21nU
Old 22-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #252
ZiggythePiggy
Starter Motor

In Perth we haven't had rain since I got it...so can't really comment!
ZiggythePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #253
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its dragging I'd say prob cleaning residue, mine work fine
Old 22-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #254
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Have given the windscreen a clean over with mothers glass cleaner. Will see how it goes next time it rains.

With my earlier bluetooth question as well, it seems to only go funny when I'm carrying my work phone and my personal phone at the same time. I don't really want to have to juggle the bluetooth on and off on both of them but I guess I'll have to.
Old 22-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #255
Pursya

The non indication of cruise control activation appears to be a fiesta quirk.
The Bluetooth in the WT does handle two phones at once. As it's Bluetooth, a technical standard, it should not be the two operating systems conflicting.
I believe the Bluetooth module would be the same the world over. More than likely coming out of one factory somewhere.
As for wipers, sounds like something sticky on the screen. Give it a good clean and then apply Rain-X.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #256
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Saw another ST today in Blue, lady driving it I think. This was in Browns Plains.

Hopefully I can get both phones to work as that would be much easier for me.

Last edited by martinijosh; 23-02-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #257
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Another new question, these gearboxes don't work very well for quick shifting I've noticed.

My old gti you can rip it from third to fourth for example, the st gear lever just refuses to move that fast though??
Old 23-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #258
clem0x

There are a couple of short shift conversion kits available maybe they might make a difference?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Old 23-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #259
Nitrobuggies
Starter Motor

I haven't had an issue shifting as quick as i can move my hand. Again using 3rd to 4th as the measure, i can slot it back there as fast as i can try and it moves effortlessly.. I have noticed a slight issue in doing this going from 1st to 2nd, it will pop back occasionally, but thats normally due to me not pushing the clutch in far enough.

Having said that i am looking at a Short Shift kit. I already LOVE the feel of this box, and the weight of the gear knob (the shifter could be lower tbh, doesn't feel super sporty having my hand so high), but i find the throw can be a tad long when going from 4th to 5th etc. A shorter throw will allow for even faster changes.

Cant help with the bluetooth sorry. I only have conected my phone to it (WP8 - Nokia Lumia 920) and it works fantastically. Reads out text messages, can reply to them as well while driving completely hands free

In regards to the window wipers, mine skip a little across the glass (despite being cleaned). A little annoying but haven't had the time due to work to really have a look why. But the sound yours are making is weird. Mine definitely don't sound so strained when moving.

Also how big is the battery in this thing :O....

P.S I have had a look at the hose clamps on my car. All look tight (by eye and hand). wondering if anyone has found them to be loose in Aus and also which ones, or is it a case of do them all (if so how do you get to some of them???
Nitrobuggies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #260
Skramit

Re hose tightening, after my 3k checkup my car felt far more punchy and zippy. I thought I was imagining it but possible they tightened the hose clamps giving me a boost?? Hmmm
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #261
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Bluetooth definitely won't take both phones. Primary phone connects by itself, secondary doesn't. If I then manually connect the second one through the menus in the car it disconnects the first one.

Lame.

edit: oh and if the question is "does the fiesta st keep up with a modded fg xr6 without breaking a sweat?" the answer is "yep..."

Last edited by martinijosh; 24-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 26-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #262
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Few more questions:

1- Does the Aus model get the heated seats that the OS models all seem to have?

2 - Are the OEM speakers actually Sony/actually decent? How's the bass? I can't stand horrible sounding sound systems, and will be going from my setup with JL Audio splits & sub/amp. It's by no means the best there is, but the improvement over the OEM Subaru stuff is huge. This'll be my first car where you can't just go to JB Hi-Fi et al and buy a new head deck - I don't suppose the OEM Sony unit had a pre-amp out for hooking up an amp for a sub?

3 - Where is the factory USB input for the sound system? Is it still next to the 12V socket just below the gear stick? I've got an SD card slot on my Pioneer head unit, which has been great. Just threw about 100 albums on there years ago, and in it went - not in the way of anything. I guess I can just get one of those micro/nano USB sticks that only stick out ~5mm and that'll be neat enough. How's the file handling on the system?

4 - Tint. Who got what from where? I'm thinking of going the Formula 1 from tint-a-car as it's meant to have the best UV/heat rejection, but something uber dark like Octane tint would look sweet on a black car!
Old 26-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #263
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelSpecificity View Post
Few more questions:

1- Does the Aus model get the heated seats that the OS models all seem to have?
No

Quote:
2 - Are the OEM speakers actually Sony/actually decent? How's the bass? I can't stand horrible sounding sound systems, and will be going from my setup with JL Audio splits & sub/amp. It's by no means the best there is, but the improvement over the OEM Subaru stuff is huge. This'll be my first car where you can't just go to JB Hi-Fi et al and buy a new head deck - I don't suppose the OEM Sony unit had a pre-amp out for hooking up an amp for a sub?
Factory stuff is fine. Sounds better than the premium sound in my xr6t... Go look at one at a dealer to asses for yourself.

I have the treble boosted by 1, the bass boosted by 3 and the EQ set to Rock to get what I feel is the best sound. Anything above volume 8 or 9 makes a trim piece in the back of the car vibrate though which is shitting me off.

Quote:
3 - Where is the factory USB input for the sound system? Is it still next to the 12V socket just below the gear stick? I've got an SD card slot on my Pioneer head unit, which has been great. Just threw about 100 albums on there years ago, and in it went - not in the way of anything. I guess I can just get one of those micro/nano USB sticks that only stick out ~5mm and that'll be neat enough. How's the file handling on the system?
USB is right next to the 12v, I just have a tiny flash drive plugged in not much bigger than a micro sd hanging out of the port.

File handling is alright, but I hate that I have to manually go in and turn on random/shuffle every time I get back in the car otherwise it just goes alphabetically.

Quote:
4 - Tint. Who got what from where? I'm thinking of going the Formula 1 from tint-a-car as it's meant to have the best UV/heat rejection, but something uber dark like Octane tint would look sweet on a black car!
Any local tint shop will do the same/better job and will easily beat the price form tint-a-car. 3m and Suntek are both good films and most tint shops that I've come across use one of those two.

Octane is by no means "uber dark" =/

Having my Suntek black tint fitted over the weekend so will see how that turns out.

Last edited by martinijosh; 26-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #264
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Quote:
No
Well that's sort of annoying. Mind you, I'm sure I can survive the maybe 10 times a year that I'd probably turn them on :p

Quote:
File handling is alright, but I hate that I have to manually go in and turn on random/shuffle every time I get back in the car otherwise it just goes alphabetically
Oh really? That's really annoying, because mine just lives on shuffle. Is it a single button to press, or is it a menu scroll job?

Quote:
Any local tint shop will do the same/better job and will easily beat the price form tint-a-car. 3m and Suntek are both good films and most tint shops that I've come across use one of those two.

Octane is by no means "uber dark" =/

Having my Suntek black tint fitted over the weekend so will see how that turns out.
I'll have a look around -any reconsiderations for north side Brisbane (around Albion/Clayfield/Newmarket) or western suburbs (Indooroopilly, Milton etc) would be appreciated. I've used tint-a-car before with good results, and I'm just weary of smaller operators as I've heard one too many horror stories!

By 'uber dark' I mean black dye and darkest legal.

Some photos of your tint would be good to see.

Cheers.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #265
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Well that's sort of annoying. Mind you, I'm sure I can survive the maybe 10 times a year that I'd probably turn them on :p
The seats are cloth not leather, so shouldn't give you the witches kiss anyway

Quote:
Oh really? That's really annoying, because mine just lives on shuffle. Is it a single button to press, or is it a menu scroll job?
You have to go through the menus, I haven't been able to find a quicker way so far.

Quote:
I'll have a look around -any reconsiderations for north side Brisbane (around Albion/Clayfield/Newmarket) or western suburbs (Indooroopilly, Milton etc) would be appreciated. I've used tint-a-car before with good results, and I'm just weary of smaller operators as I've heard one too many horror stories!
The main thing is how much care they take with the door trims and how well they trim the tint along the top of the window. I get all mine done through a friend of mine who is a professional tinter and it's perfect every time... I also get to supervise and assist which you wouldn't normally be able to do. He's on southside but I can swing you some details if you want them.

Quote:
By 'uber dark' I mean black dye and darkest legal.

Some photos of your tint would be good to see.

Cheers.
I have 20% black film on my gti and it is amazeballs... Fiesta will be getting legal treatment for insurance purposes.

Here is the flash drive I'm using + USB location in car

Colour coded :P
Old 26-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #266
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Quote:
You have to go through the menus, I haven't been able to find a quicker way so far.
Yeah, coming into winter, I don't think I'll miss the leather seats in my Impreza. What's worse is the alloy gear knob which manages to turn into a block of ice!!

Quote:
Here is the flash drive I'm using + USB location in car

Colour coded :P
Yeah, I've got a few of those ones. I was thinking something more like this:

Old 26-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #267
clem0x

Heated seats = more weight to car so I'm kinda glad they left them out :P
Old 27-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #268
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Speak to Byron at Tint A Car Milton - faultless workmanship and decent pricing. I've driven down from the Sunshine Coast for him to do 2 of my cars, so that should say something.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #269
RelSpecificity
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
Speak to Byron at Tint A Car Milton - faultless workmanship and decent pricing. I've driven down from the Sunshine Coast for him to do 2 of my cars, so that should say something.
Haha, that's who I used years ago on my old Lancer. Was very happy with the job. I had the car for another couple of years before I got my Impreza and the tint was still 100% - no signs of peeling/bubbling and it spent 100% of it's time outside.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #270
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

My car popped out of 3rd again today, that's 3 times now this has happened. Was just driving normally, clutch in shift from second to third, let out clutch it pops back in to neutral.

Have moved my seat forward another click just to make sure I'm actually getting full disengagement on the clutch.... still weird.

Sometimes there will also be no audio when playing tracks from USB... song ticker is moving but no sound. I bought a new car to get away from these types of issues that have been plaguing me my whole motoring life but they persist -_-

Also, is anyone else missing this piece of trim in the boot?

I'll be surprised if this is normal, it looks nasty...

Last edited by martinijosh; 09-03-2014 at 04:28 PM.