Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Default Critic minds...

I know, I love my new WS fiesta, and it is absolute beaut and sporty. I have been accused yesterday from a dude I know, but can not say who and where, in regards of being a 'woman's car' and I didnt care what he had to say about it, it seems that he is a ford hater, and thinks small cars like this is for women, like others. This guy is really a pretty stupid idiot.

I didnt care what he had to say - I told him: "Who cares?"

Wonder, has this similar experience did to you, gentlemen?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hairdresser car, blow drier, girls rig, I could go on. My mates give me hell all the time, but then again I give them hell all the time too for driving 'small ' syndrome cars. Meh, drive whatever floats your boat, people will always judge you, even if you own a Ferrari. As long as your happy with your purchace, and truly enjoy it that's all that matters. Unless it's a Toyota Prious...
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I never heard the end of it when I went from telling them I had booked a test drive for an R34 Nissan Skyline to "I bought a new Ford Fiesta, thats PURPLE". It annoys me but you know, I'd beat everyone else in a "how far you can travel on 1 tank" race.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

My daily driver is an F6, but I am more than happy to get behind the wheels of the wife's WS Zetec. Awesome little car. Bugger what they guy thinks!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its not a bad car at all, they need to be in the car while you do some spirited driving (within legal limits of course!)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once you've taken them around a couple of sets of corners in the hills, pretty much all of them shutup... haha
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I told everyone on a Commodore forum I'm a member of (Since I'm heavinly into Commodores) to give one a spin before they make a large mistake in my eyes a buy a Cruze. But they all laughed it off as a girls car. Too bad I guess, I was only trying to inform them about how good it is . It quicker and more solid around town or through twisties than Anything Holden or Ford AU make so I wouldn't care if it was painted bright pink . Not only that you get more looks from girls in it than in Muscle car X which girls don't care about at all
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny story Greenfoam, was doing a trip on Sunday to Maccas as a group of us watched Bathurst, and the chick who served me loved my car (big Fiesta fan). She even asked to have a look at it and took a smoko break while I showed her all the bells and wistels. Needless to say, I slipped my business card to her and we have a car-date booked. Doubt that I'd be able to do that in any other car
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like fun Rapid!!!

One thing we've noticed with our friends, they dont actually know what it is... The first question 100% of the time has been, So What Is It?

Last edited by GoesLikeAZetec; 12-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I drive a WP, and I've only heard a couple of derogatory comments from a 60-year-old mate who was taking the mickey. Stuff like "Matchbox toy" and "it's not a car, it's a consolation prize".

Still, I do get a lot of thumbs-up from strangers when I drive past, and girls almost always turn their heads to look.
Just yesterday a couple of girls in a Torana SLR5000 were checking out my Fez. Then they saw the child seat and "Baby on Board" sign in the back, smiled at me and went on their way.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I never heard the end of it when I went from telling them I had booked a test drive for an R34 Nissan Skyline to "I bought a new Ford Fiesta, thats PURPLE". It annoys me but you know, I'd beat everyone else in a "how far you can travel on 1 tank" race.
Such as like these people think that the nissan would beat the one way race in 1 tank, like Canberra to melbourne and the nissan gets refilled half way in albury while the fez still continues as that points to plenty of fuel left. Sucks to be these people who owns ricer cars, :evil3: (No offense to these people who owns it currently)
Old 13-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Ben85

I had a guy in a Honda S2000 asked me to wind down my window to give me a compliment on my car just the other day. So not all people or so closed minded!!

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nissan people Xbox fans and Americans in general and all one in the same (there's a few nice ones in each group but not many)
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Dustproof

Default Small Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke
I know, I love my new WS fiesta, and it is absolute beaut and sporty. I have been accused yesterday from a dude I know, but can not say who and where, in regards of being a 'woman's car' and I didnt care what he had to say about it, it seems that he is a ford hater, and thinks small cars like this is for women, like others. This guy is really a pretty stupid idiot.

OK, if it is supposed to be a chicks car then the following applies:

1. If chicks drive'em we meet more chick's hey
2. Why is Mercedes Benz getting rid of the V8 in favor of High performance 4's
3. We use much less fuel so we can spend more on bling for the car.
4. A small car is easier to park and manover in tight places and you can take them anywhere.

I have built 2 Sportsedans from the ground up, I have raced them for over 10 years. I also drive a WS Fiesta and love it, it definately is not a car to be bagged about performance and handeling.

I won't be long before the V8's days become numbered, the future is in small 4's with a turbo or supercharger - take a look at the Golf for instance.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I think it boils down to the culture here in aus. In europe, they have been exploiting the advantages of the hatch for decades, especially with diesel technology. Although it's changing now in aus, the majority of people have always gone for big "family" cars with real-man engines.

It's also got a lot to do with what you grow up with. We've always had small cars in our garage, from the 68' beetle to golf gti pirelli... Basically people that pay out on hatches (the good hatches anyway...) don't know what they're missing out on.

My favorite ad on at the moment is the ad for the new camry... At the end it says "be your own man" as he shifts down in his auto fwd v6 sedan... Go figure

Ps. One of My favorite thing about hatches???... Your whole car is a boot!!!
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!

Last edited by zetec jim; 14-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

People who think that a fiesta is a chicks car are just demonstrating their ignorance and are not true motor enthusiasts.
Sure some people will always prefer large cars, but if you have any clue about cars then surely you can recognize that a small
Swb car direct from Germany is a good little combo. It’s the same as when people on this forum say that FWD cant = performance.
Sure RWD is probably the better set up but plenty of fun can be had in a FWD small car. Particularly if its got a decent sized donk.
Old 14-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Nappa, Hope you didn't think I meant fwd = wrong wheel drive. Just check out what the Scandinavians were doing in fwd's years ago...! But an auto front wheel drive camry has to be bland as stale bread???

Basically we all know about how great a little hot hatch is. I have as much fun in my 74kw wp fez than the 169kw golf gti pirelli... It's all about what each one offers, the common one being the connection between driver-car-road...

I'm not saying that you can't get that from a v8 either. As napped said, it's more an ignorance on others behalf in thinking in motoring that bigger is better. Just look at this forums home page picture to get an idea of perceptions. I say let em hate, less people in on the secret the better :
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
Nappa, Hope you didn't think I meant fwd = wrong wheel drive. Just check out what the Scandinavians were doing in fwd's years ago...! But an auto front wheel drive camry has to be bland as stale bread???

Basically we all know about how great a little hot hatch is. I have as much fun in my 74kw wp fez than the 169kw golf gti pirelli... It's all about what each one offers, the common one being the connection between driver-car-road...

I'm not saying that you can't get that from a v8 either. As napped said, it's more an ignorance on others behalf in thinking in motoring that bigger is better. Just look at this forums home page picture to get an idea of perceptions. I say let em hate, less people in on the secret the better :

nah mate i wasnt talking about you, in the past when we've discussed the merits of cars like the new focus RS, some people who probably dont visit this part of the forums had some negative comments about front wheel drive cars.
Old 14-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #19
Fi.ES.TA

Ive also had it all from the guys at work,but as someone mentioned
if you was to take them for a blitz in it they'd be changeing there tune
for sure,i even had a guy at work who owns a peice of 10yr old hilux style side ute last friday bag it out as soon as i mentioned i'll race you he started spitting feathers because he knew id embarass him.

Being an ex pat (POM) ive grown up around euro hatches when i emigrated
to Aus 5yrs ago i was druelling over V8's and V6's.Know i have had my fun in bigger cars i just cant stay away from the sports hatch.They can bag it out all they want but im the one comeing out on top :sm_headba
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #20
Oscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke

Take a look at any shopping centre car park and you will see how laughable big cars can be when out of their comfort zone ie 4WD tanks taking an eternity to park or big cars crossing the centre line into oncoming cars after taking a tight turn.

Small cars may be have been a health hazard in the past but a Fiesta has a 4 star safety rating which isnt too shabby and 74KW is plenty for most situations unless you want to ascend Mt Kosciusko in a hurry.
Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro
Take a look at any shopping centre car park and you will see how laughable big cars can be when out of their comfort zone ie 4WD tanks taking an eternity to park or big cars crossing the centre line into oncoming cars after taking a tight turn.

Small cars may be have been a health hazard in the past but a Fiesta has a 4 star safety rating which isnt too shabby and 74KW is plenty for most situations unless you want to ascend Mt Kosciusko in a hurry.
88Kw*
Old 17-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
88Kw*
That was in reference to their WP/WQ mate, which has 74kw.

Chicks car? More like pickup car! After last weeks success I'm being sobor bob tonight and flashing me keys around the club, the ladies love the Fez! I've never used my car as a pick-up point, but recently it's been my strongest point. Voice Control makes the girls go wild!!!
Old 17-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
Fi.ES.TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Voice Control makes the girls go wild!!!
Hahaha classic
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #24
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro

Yeah, I noticed, and they would go 'lolwut, i spend a lot of money of fuel, which the fez only need a little bit to run the car for at least two weeks!'

I'll shrug on that! :evil3:
Old 17-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
That was in reference to their WP/WQ mate, which has 74kw.

Chicks car? More like pickup car! After last weeks success I'm being sobor bob tonight and flashing me keys around the club, the ladies love the Fez! I've never used my car as a pick-up point, but recently it's been my strongest point. Voice Control makes the girls go wild!!!
Whoops haha.

The only thing I've managed is a good comment from the guy behind the counter at my petrol station

He wanted to know what it was because it had a nice shape (the car) :O
Old 18-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #26
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Toowoomba there's still not too many around (Fez Zetecs) although plenty of basic models, so I get comments and looks all the time. All I can say is this car is a weapon!!!
Old 18-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
Zetec-4-Me
Finally have my Zetec!

Quote:
In Toowoomba there's still not too many around (Fez Zetecs) although plenty of basic models, so I get comments and looks all the time. All I can say is this car is a weapon!!!
Even on Brissie's southside I've only ever seen one Zetec and probably only 2 or 3 cl/lx's in the past 2 months (but I see about 8-10 mazda 2's daily, lol) so the Fez's are eyecatching WHEN I do see them ;)

I can't WAIT to get mine, although I'm still trying to be patient. It's been 5 1/2 weeks now and they said a 5 1/2 - 6 week until the car will be here, soooooo my fingers are crossed that it can't be too much longer now grrrrrr
Zetec-4-Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a Vision five-door (georgeous) along with a Sea Grey and Morello Zetec five-door. The rest have been CL with the exception of the local dealers demo LX. No three-doors though, YAH!!! What model Zetec did you order bud? Colour?
Old 18-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #29
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec-4-Me
Even on Brissie's southside I've only ever seen one Zetec and probably only 2 or 3 cl/lx's in the past 2 months (but I see about 8-10 mazda 2's daily, lol) so the Fez's are eyecatching WHEN I do see them ;)

I can't WAIT to get mine, although I'm still trying to be patient. It's been 5 1/2 weeks now and they said a 5 1/2 - 6 week until the car will be here, soooooo my fingers are crossed that it can't be too much longer now grrrrrr
Man i know they aren't that popular but i've see way more new Fiestas (including Zetecs) in the western suburbs. In fact in the indro/taringa/toowong/st lucia area i've probably seen 15-20 individual cars a week...5 zetecs at least. And no i'm not including the dealership LOL! Maybe its the proximity to the university that does it...alot of p plate girls running around in them. It makes me so very happy to see that....because it means we are getting the next generation of ford buyers... What did you think i was happy to see the girls?? Well that too....

As for the guy in the OP post...well very close minded and frankly i think quite insulting to the 'girls' too. So they can't drive a falcon because its too 'manly'. I don't get it. Particularly when the fiesta is quite gender neutral in styling and a damn good drive at that. It may have voice control and lots of female friendly features but i dont' see why men can't enjoy it.

What does he drive?? Better be careful because on the right road you can get your bum whipped by one of these 'girlie cars'. Either way i bet he drives a holden!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
Zetec-4-Me
Finally have my Zetec!

Quote:
I've seen a Vision five-door (georgeous) along with a Sea Grey and Morello Zetec five-door. The rest have been CL with the exception of the local dealers demo LX. No three-doors though, YAH!!! What model Zetec did you order bud? Colour?
I ordered a vision 5 door manual ---- soooo hard to get hands on that it had such a long wait :( Funny thing is, I've never seen a vision 5door for real so I'm only hoping that they look as good as I imagine lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Man i know they aren't that popular but i've see way more new Fiestas (including Zetecs) in the western suburbs. In fact in the indro/taringa/toowong/st lucia area i've probably seen 15-20 individual cars a week...5 zetecs at least. And no i'm not including the dealership LOL! Maybe its the proximity to the university that does it...alot of p plate girls running around in them. It makes me so very happy to see that....because it means we are getting the next generation of ford buyers... What did you think i was happy to see the girls?? Well that too....
Maybe the closer to the city you get, the more popular the smaller cars??? I dunno though as there are SO many Mazda 2's around here that I was sure that the fez's would be popping up by now! Maybe there are lots of people like myself around here that are still waiting (impatiently lol) for theirs to arrive :
Zetec-4-Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post