Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #31
joshf2
striped

i dont think they have ST's in auto :P
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #32
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Oh darn i was hoping it was an auto. WTF?? Once i get me licence back im gonna start learning. No point buying a St if i dont know how to drive it.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #33
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll probably have to start learning from dads car (: I got excited about turning 18 and got my auto licence just so I could go out with friends XD

really regret it big time
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #34
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Indeed, most auto trannies are used for consistent shifting, and the new ZF units used in the new Falcons and the DSG sequentials used in VeeDubs n Audis are only now showing that it may be better to have a self shifter. It's pretty high end technology though still.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #35
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The DSG is a manual box. The difference is that it has a computer controlled clutch. Automatics use more power but manual with computer clutches is the best of both worlds.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #36
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The DSG is a manual box. The difference is that it has a computer controlled clutch. Automatics use more power but manual with computer clutches is the best of both worlds.
Um, it has a dual clutch plate. Next gear is engaged before you even ask for it.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #37
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Give me a manual & a clutch pedal any day.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #38
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

So true John - That is what most magazines claim. The Golf GTI in manual is slower then the DSG, but more fun. Although - In manual form... it means I can hunt them down at lights

I take manual over Automatic anyday... Doesn't matter how good it is!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #39
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Maybe it's a playstation generation thing, but I find the idea of a sequential really appealing.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #40
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Um, it has a dual clutch plate. Next gear is engaged before you even ask for it.
And? Its still a manual box but has 2 clutches and no the next gear isn't engaged before you ask for it, when you require a change the ecu with work both clutches to shift in 0.1seconds.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #41
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
And? Its still a manual box but has 2 clutches and no the next gear isn't engaged before you ask for it, when you require a change the ecu with work both clutches to shift in 0.1seconds.
Actually, my understanding is that is the case. That's why you can't skip gears with that gearbox, because the next one is engaged.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #42
Danny
GT4.

Yeah, thats pretty much how it works...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #43
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't skip a gear on that gearbox because its engaged sequentially. Just like every other sequential box in the world you can't skip gears. The next gear is NOT engaged but the 2nd clutch is ready to take over without delay.

Simple fact is that if the next gear was engaged youd need 3 gear engaged at once and anything more than 1 is impossible.